:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket to UFStarfleet Support! (Must be logged into the forums to use this)
or through the UFS Discord Support System (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

USS T-Durant Mission TDRP20-08: "Past one hundred thousand miles..." 200308

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sundays 11:15am SLT
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

=====OOC======
DURANT MISSION TDRP20-08
Sun Mar 8, 2020
==============
STARDATE: 200308
CREW CALL TIME: 1115hrs SLT
LOCATION TO MEET: Durant
RP LOCATION: Bridge
MISSION LEAD/GM: Cmdr Evelyn Rieko (XO)

WHAT TO WEAR:
Official UFS uniform

WHAT TO KNOW:
-the ship is at: 1/2 impulse. or at a standstill?
-alert level is: yellow
-we left Pinastri: 6 weeks ago
-we are: in Klakkr's Drift, Sector 004D Polenta

Regular crew, please arrive no later than 11:15am SLT and obtain your mission card from the XO -- be sure to read it before RP begins.

====================================
POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).
MISSION TIME: Please be ready & prepared & in place for RP to start at 1130hrs SLT, expect RP to run to 1315/1330hrs SLT
ARRIVING LATE? Contact the Mission Lead when you arrive, and wait to be instructed on Post Order & Story before speaking in Local. Come up with a reason why your character would be entering the scene at the appointed time and include it in your first post.
LEAVING EARLY? You need to post out. Come up with a reason why your character would be leaving the scene. Ask for permission to go to your department, for example (RP etiquette also says it’s nice if you wait to see the replies before you actually remove your avatar from the scene).

====OOC====
You should have read:
'Sleeping with the Enemy' 200119
http://www.ufstarfleet.org/forums/viewt ... 85&t=31699

TDRP20-02: " Sneaky Sneaking" 200126
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=31780

TDRP20-03: "J-Just Ch-Checking" 200202
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=31792

TDRP20-04: "Nine Ninths" 200209
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=31804

TDRP20-05: "Anomalous Drift" 200216
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=31812

TDRP20-06: "Floating in the most peculiar way" 200223
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=31825

TDRP20-07: "Feeling very still..." 200301
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=31831

LCARS:
http://wiki.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index. ... Sector_Map
http://wiki.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index. ... nta_Sector

SIM Concept: Evelyn Rieko & Poison Toocool
Historian: Hal Jordan ((Greenlantern Excelsior))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Grid: SL

LAST TIME ON STARSHIP DURANT

On stardate 200216 the USS Taylorholic Durant entered Klakkr's Drift (Sector 004D Polenta) in order to avoid confrontation with three potentially hostile vessels. One small ship with ten crew... along with two other ships, cloaked, and on an intercept course with the flagship. A metallurgical and structural analysis of the uncloaked vessel, along with examination of life signs aboard, led to the conclusion that the first of the three ships was Romulan. It wasn't difficult to surmise that the two cloaked ships were affiliated with the first vessel. While sensors could not penetrate their cloaks, a slight subspace variance was detected, allowing Tactical to suggest the vessels were travelling at warp speed, and that each of these subspace displacements exhibited the characteristic mass of a Romulan warbird.

Unwilling to risk a confrontation, Commander Evelyn Rieko made the decision to change course and enter the Drift, knowing that systems would be affected. The nebular cloud itself, while providing some protection from the pursuing ships, would affect navigation, tactical and science sensors; communications; warp drive; and perhaps pose a challenge in terms of keeping the deflector dish online and maintaining deflector shields. 

It was important for the flagship to drop to impulse and vary its course after crossing the event horizon of the Drift, so that the pursuers could not extrapolate the Durant's probable trajectory. In addition, a formation of nine probes were deployed forward in order to assist with navigation and the avoidance of unseen hazards. A single probe was fired aft, to collect telemetry on the hostile vessels should they locate the Federation starship in the Drift.

Unexpected issues began to arise as the Durant moved deeper into the nebular cloud. Communications with the probes began to fail. The density around the ship seemed to be increasing, closing in on the flagship and putting pressure on the shields and hull integrity. Tactical strongly recommended phasers be taken offline, due to the fact that firing an energy weapon in the thick gasses could potentially ignite them and cause significant damage to ship and crew. Communications with the probes was growing even more spotty, but Tactical felt that at least two of them had reached a barrier of some kind. Medical was gravely concerned to hear that kinoplasmic radiation had been detected and that levels were increasing. This type of radiation is known to affect biological systems and humanoid brains.

Commander Rieko then decided the Durant should change course and exit the Drift as soon as possible. The flagship turned and attempted to backtrack. Helm reported a sluggish response and suggested that although speed had been increased, the ship was actually moving slower. Tactical reported that the nebular cloud around the ship was thicker than ever. Communications with at least two of the probes seemed to have been lost altogether, and the others were continuing to respond haphazardly. Still, enough telemetry was received to support a report that the Drift seemed to surround a subspace rupture. Shield strength was slowly failing and hull integrity was being affected by the increasing pressure outside the ship.

Something was squeezing, perhaps holding, the USS Taylorholic Durant in its cloudy grip.

Then some crew reported feeling a 'breeze', hearing a sound. Helm lost control. Tactical reported the Romulans - their two black-hulled warbirds now decloaked - were now within visual range. A voice, sounding very much like Evelyn Rieko, repeated something the Commander had said moments before. And all of a sudden, the Romulans disappeared into the nebular mist as the Durant was propelled away by some unknown force. Before all communications with the remaining probes was lost, Tactical was able to extrapolate that the flagship was being dragged through Klakkr's Drift towards the subspace fracture.

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Evelyn Rieko (Cmdr), XO/Chief Science
Rain Elton (Ensign), Helm ((Rain Torvalar))
Brooklyn Phoenix (Cadet), Ops ((Cynthyarose))
Leni (Lt Cmdr), Science ((Leninah))
Hal Jordan (Commodore), Intelligence ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Left to right: Jordan, Leni, Rieko, Phoenix, not shown - Elton
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Evelyn Rieko rakes her teeth across her bottom lip, again and again, nibbling it as she considers this situation. The ship is caught in Klakkr's Drift. Tactical reported the ship was being dragged toward a subspace fracture. She had given the command to turn around and leave this nebula, but instead they were being dragged deeper into it. Adrenaline is coursing through her veins. She feels edgy and hyped up. "I'm curious about what is dragging the ship. A life form that seems to be a sentient being. Helm, have we completely lost control of the ship? Where are we moving to? Science, tactical and Comms, keep trying to get more telemetry from the probes. Science, we need data on the life form entity, is it gaseous, or solid? What is it made of? Also work with medical on the effects of the kinoplasmic radiation on the crew and the ship. Tactical, how are the shields holding up and the hull integrity? Any data on the status of the Romulan Warbirds and that leading ship?"

Rain Elton continues to concentrate on her console while the ship moves through the drift. Aware of ships around, the changing density of the space, she is so concentrating on her job that she almost misses the query from her commander, "The ship's computers are having a difficult time reconciling its position in space and I cannot give a current position. It seems we are moving but I can not say more without more information. The probes we are receiving telemetry from are too sporadic to help. I will update you immediately when I can give you a more certain answer."

Brooklyn Phoenix: "At this time, shields are holding at 65% efficiency." Cadet Phoenix touches the buttons on the console. "At this time, Commander, the hull is at 90% integrity, but if the shields continue to drop, that will be dropping. I am attempting to get more information on the Romulan ships, Commander."

Leni quickly catches up on her off-shift happenings and is alarmed at the apparently compromising behaviour of the intelligence officer's PADD, the drop in shield strength to 65%, power fluctuations, the mysterious sounds the crew have been hearing, inexplicably overtaxed engines, and the appearance of a fleet of black ships over the limited horizon like a fleet of pirate ships in a black sea. Quickly analyzing the information and taking fresh stock of the situation, she concludes her previous analysis could now be expanded with a greater degree of confidence, with a few more confirmatory scans and calculations which she hurriedly sets about completing. She finds time, however, to make an acknowledging glance to the new Cadet, curtailed by the necessity of the ship's situation, mumbling to herself almost inaudibly, "Welcome to the Durant, get used to it, this is how it is."

Hal Jordan rubbed his eyes and looked at his console. His efforts at decrypting and translating had been mostly unsuccessful up to now. He was beginning to wonder whether the information they had retrieved really contained any messages at all. But he had been trained, and had practiced, never giving up until the problem was solved, and he would not give up now. Apparently there was an extensive set of instructions inside the download that would cause the computer to take certain actions if it were downloaded into a starship's computer system. And that gave him yet another idea. He turned to the XO. "Sir, I am not having any success translating more than a few isolated words in different languages from this data. I'm going to try treating the data as if it's a program that recognizes that it's inside a starship's computer. Maybe I can convince it that it's back on the space station, so it won't keep trying to kill us. I will look for information from the probes, but right now we are only receiving scattered bits of data from them."

Rieko looks to Helm, "Thank you, Ensign Elton. So we do not have control of the ship...something else does.. the entity..life form... and we are being dragged along. That's not acceptable. We don't want to damage the entity, but we have to find a way to get away from it. It is taking us deeper into the drift when we were on our way out of it. One of the most important questions is, how do we disengage the Durant from this entity that seems to have an attraction for the Durant? It seems to want to keep it as a toy, a friend...maybe a mate." She almost smiles at that thought, but the uncertainty and threat she is feeling prevents the smile from appearing. "What is happening to those Romulan ships? Commodore, continue your work on decoding, but also give your input into this situation we're in."

Elton, acknowledging the communique from Engineering, she calls out, "Commander, I am monitoring the system along with Engineering, but the Impulse engines are starting to show severe signs of stress. We are still within tolerances, but they are advising us to continue with caution." She glances over at another screen as one of the probe starts relaying information, but it abruptly stops and she can't help but pull on a strand of her hair in frustration as there was no viable data obtained. Feeling herself responding inappropriately, she takes a valuable moment to center herself, takes a deep meditating breath and sits up a little straighter in her chair. With a quick very slight nod, she resumes her tasks and sees what she should have before. "Commander, continuing in this manner will surely take the engines offline. I recommend we stop fighting the drift and conserve them for the moment"

Phoenix pounds away frantically on her console. "Commander, we have 5 of the 9 probes still transmitting. I am trying to boost communications with the one closest to the Romulan to see if i can gather more information. I also have loaded the torpedo bays just in case our friends decide they want to have some fun."

Leni compiles her revised analysis and straightens her back to deliver her report. "Sir, from the latest events, evidence and analysis I have formed a couple of hypotheses in which I'm over 80% confident are accurate models of what is happening to us. Firstly from the pressure the Durant is under, the density and fluctuations in the mass we seem to be immediately in, and that further away, and the strange voices that seem linked to our behaviour, that we are indeed inside an organic being which is reacting to our presence." Pauses a moment "Think of it a bit like a Jonah and the whale scenario." She tries to smile to lighten the mood but gives up given the seriousness of the situation she finds herself painting and the image of the Durant 'mating' with the entity the XO drew before continuing. "Secondly, whilst the radiation affecting our computer systems seems to be kinoplasmic radiation, we are also subject to significant bioplasmic radiation, and therein may lie our key to getting away."

Jordan looked at the console, formulating a plan of action. He placed the console in setup mode and looked at the information displayed. Starship name, registration number, version of software installed, data showing the last diagnostics that had been run on the system, the hardware being used to host the software, and other readings showing that this was configured as a standard Starfleet COMM console. Then he looked at the data, noticing the header that showed the system name and software version. He deleted all of the setup information for his console and put in the header information that had been recorded from the space station's computer, then started up the console again to see what would happen. He looked up briefly at the viewscreen, again seeing the swirling muddy colors of a dense cloud of something that might be a living creature. In the background he heard the bridge crew trying to resist whatever was dragging them through space. He needed answers and he needed them fast. He heard the XO asking for his input, and he turned away from his console to look up at the viewscreen again. "Sir, I believe we have already tried hailing the entity without success. Perhaps we could attempt a telepathic contact, if we have any high-level espers on board. And if the life form doesn't receive radio or subspace or telepathic signals, we might try using the speakers on the outside of the hull to transmit sound through the material outside the hull. If the entity is in contact with us physically then they should be able to feel any sound vibrations that we send out."

Rieko looks to Science, "Commander Leni, we're inside the entity? And where is the bioplasmic radiation coming from? What are the effects of it?" She turns to the Commodore, "Let's try using the speakers on the outside of the hull. This is very important. If we can communicate with this life form, we may be able to persuade it to help us. We have to find out if it's sentient, or if it was just echoing my words, mimicking what it heard." She inhales deeply and exhales to calm herself. "Yes, Commodore, set it up. I will speak with it."

Elton continues to monitor the engines and, "Sir, impulse engines are now at ninety percent of tolerance. Should I continue?" She glances to her left at the probe telemetry coming in, and this time there's enough information there to realize and after a moment, "One of the probes has finally given us enough information to extrapolate that we have traveled approximately one hundred sixty thousand kilometers in a matter of minutes. But we are moving inversely to our intended direction."

Phoenix: "Commander, if we can isolate some of the ship levels that are not needed right now, we can shut down systems to those levels letting us use power for the deflector, shields, and hull integrity. We might also have enough to boost communications with the probes. If I can get a steady link, I think I may have something that can work to keep the Romulans guessing and off of us for the time being."

Leni puts together her conclusions and thoughts and responds to the XO. "Sir, from all the evidence aforementioned, most notably the variance in densities and behaviours of the immediate vicinity of the Durant and that further out, I have to conclude its highly likely the 'entity' 'being' we are inside of is pulling us deeper into the drift. Also, even though we're overtaxing the engines to go the opposite way, we are being forced deeper inside. I agree with Helm - we may want to conserve energy and stop the engines, because I see no evidence it's doing any good. I further agree with Commander Jordan we should try communication with it, but meanwhile I'm looking for any other way to interact with the entity to affect its bioplasmic state and maybe make it release us or at least stop squeezing us so hard. To continue with the Jonah comparison, if we light a fire in the belly of the whale, we may make it cough us out, though it might not be quite as graphically accurate a comparison as that! Permission to start reconfiguring sensors and sending emissions to try and stimulate a response, Sir?"

Jordan watched as the console started up again. He thought to himself 'You were just restarted. Now you are finding yourself on a slightly different piece of hardware, but all of your software is here and ready for you to use. Go ahead, little program, run for me.' As the unfamiliar symbols started moving on the screen, he double checked that that part of the console was isolated from ship's systems. It was a console inside another console, for all practical purposes. He wondered if the program would look for an outside connection to the space station or whether it would start up normally inside an isolated system. He accessed the Starfleet portion of the COMM panel, searched around a bit, and finally found the external hull speakers. He thought about tying in the universal translator and broadcasting a greeting, but that could be unintelligible noise to an alien listener. He smiled, pressed a few controls, and the sounds of Strauss's "Blue Danube Waltz" began to vibrate smoothly from the decks and bulkheads.

Rieko: "Helm, how far are we from the subspace fracture? One hundred sixty thousand kilometers in a matter of minutes! Ensign Elton, we are moving inversely to our intended direction? Our intended direction was to go out the way we came in. I don't think that's happening. Cadet Phoenix, yes, good idea! Re-route power from auxiliary systems to the shields and hull. Helm and Science, for now, turn off engines. You're right, we don't want to rip the ship apart. Commodore, good try on the music! It's the universal language. Maybe we will get some type of response."

Elton quirks an eyebrow as the Commander repeats what she said a moment ago while also shutting down the Impulse engines. "Sir, if I may be more clear? What telemetry I received shows that we are not moving out of the Drift but rather deeper into it. I can only relay what information I have."

Phoenix reroutes auxiliary power to the shields and hull. She boosts the power to communications, finally able to get through to the probe, and sends a false image of the Durant for the probe to broadcast, hoping to confuse the Romulan ships. "Commander, shield and hull integrity up by 5%."

Leni configures and prepares various radiation pulses in all directions around the Durant and sets up monitors for reaction from the entity. Short pulses at first of each type with a pause to monitor responses and generate alerts with confirmation points before longer pulses before moving onto the next searching for any reaction and recording it in database logs. Preparing these in anticipation of receiving permission to send them from the XO. Interleaving this with gathering the data she can from the probes which fortuitously though behind us are now in front of our direction of travel, which is useful to learn more about the subspace fracture and what else we are heading towards, even if data is at somewhat less than 100% integrity on each pass.

Jordan watched as the isolated portion of his console attempted to run the space station program. It was searching for something, some connection to external systems possibly, maybe something that would tell it where it was located. The startup sequence would pause as the program searched for connected systems, then it would continue until the next pause. This could take a while. He turned to the XO again. "Sir, with this level of sophistication in the program, I doubt whether anyone on the space station could have written it. You will recall that the USS Yamato was destroyed in 2365 due to an alien program inside its computer. I suspect that the program that we downloaded is possibly included inside each Romulan computer system, so that if the Federation tries to download data, the software will cause the starship's systems to destroy the ship. Also, just now I am receiving a signal, apparently from one of our probes."

Rieko: "Science, what type of 'fire' do you suggest we start inside the belly of the entity? Before we do anything, though, we must establish if it's sentient. I have only been guessing, but I believe it is. It's imperative that we communicate with it. That would solve many of the problems we're facing." Turns to Hal. "Commodore, that data is extremely dangerous. If the Federation tries to download data, the software will cause the starship's systems to destroy the ship? Please be careful and isolate what you have." Her mind goes back to the entity. "The entity repeated my words and mimicked my voice. I do feel a connection of some kind to it...some type of feeling, as the air caressed my face..."

Elton: While the ship drifts along unknown currents, she receives another burst of information from one of the probes, and immediately calls out, "Sir, I just received updated information that we are closing in on the edge of the subspace fracture, estimating *pauses a moment* ninety five thousand kilometers and closing." She then starts to calculate the rate of travel and wonders briefly what will happen upon reaching it.

Phoenix continues to monitor the probes transmissions and boosts a little more power to communications to facilitate better response from the probes.

Leni responds to the query from the XO. "Sir, for 'fire' I just mean test radiation pulses at varying intensities to see if we can interact and affect the bioplasmic state of the entity, hopefully to figure out a way to make it react in a positive response to us getting ourselves out of here. Nothing too intense to damage it in any way at all and nothing we expect to be toxic to its composition."

Jordan continued to watch the alien software trying to start up on the console. It was searching, probing for some kind of external connection, but it was well and truly isolated from everything that could connect it to Starfleet in any way. But its pauses were taking long and longer, as though it needed some kind of connection to something before it would start completely. If the program would start finally, he could ask it for information about Rear Admiral Toocool. He knew that was one reason Commander Rieko had decided to dive into Klakkr's Drift, to give time for the decryption. Various new icons were being displayed, so the countdown to a completed startup was in progress. He looked at the probe data and was surprised to see a medium strength signal coming in. "Sir, we are in fact receiving a signal now. I am unable to pinpoint the source location, because the probes are all giving conflicting information. But the signal we are receiving is showing a Federation signature."

[Unknown]: ... *vibrates erratically* ...

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Evelyn Rieko (Cmdr), XO/Chief Science

Rain Elton (Ensign), Helm ((Rain Torvalar))

Brooklyn Phoenix (Cadet), Ops ((Cynthyarose))

Leni (Lt Cmdr), Science ((Leninah))

Hal Jordan (Commodore), Intelligence ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”