Tranquility Relocation

Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer - USS Veracruz
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Tranquility log, stardate 091104

We've manged to break the station out of orbit of Pinastri IV, though not without some damage.

Stresses at upper plyon two resulted in a hull breach, and 3 units were damaged.  The quarters of Rojan Strom, Tira Slade and Stanfford Brentley will need repairs.  In addition, the central core received a breach resulting in damage to the lounge and to Admiral Calhoun's office.  Hopefully the damage inside isn't too extreme.

With the assistance of Lt Salmson, we were able to get the station moved from orbit, and special commendations to Lt's Dagger and Galaxy, as well as Cadet Shinn who all assisted in making this happen with a minimum of difficulty.

Until repairs are completed, upper pylon two is off line, as is lower pyon one.  Lower pylon one shows minor damage, but I want engineering to examine it closely before we bring it back online.  Other then that, we are fully operational once more.  Tranquility is holding position until our new orbit catches up with us.  At that point, we will engage thrusters again and get us in a matching orbit to Pinastri IV.

This will mean for the next 6 months our location in relation to Pinastri IV will change daily.  All incoming ships and shuttles should program navigation accordingly.
Stafford Brentley

Holds breath and gets out roll of duct tape. Well done and kudos on the great job done!
Chrystian Merlin
Engineering - Commander
Engineering - Commander
Duty Post: Strategic Operations Officer | Cochrane
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Just curious, but at what point will beaming to Tranquility no longer be possible?  I'm not familiar with any Federation technology in use that will reach 2 AU...

Merlin

Access Service Jacket

"I think God is as much a basic ingredient in the universe as neutrons and positrons. This is the prime force, when we look around the universe."
--Gene Roddenberry
Sam Christiansen

Transporter range is 40'000km. Depending on the size and speed of the planets orbit... however it is most likely out of transporter range already.
Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: C-in-C, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: Headquarters
Grid: Second Life

Technically all stations are out of transporter range from each other and always have been (ufs history has been changed so where the statons are is where thay have always been)
Sam Christiansen

Kermie Mistwallow wrote: Technically all stations are out of transporter range from each other and always have been (ufs history has been changed so where the statons are is where thay have always been)
I believe from another thread that in tranquility's case, its a "the station is moving there" thing now.
Tyr Galaxy

This may just be nitpicking, but if we are not orbiting would we not have to be constantly firing thrusters to avoid falling into the system's sun?
SVAndrei Baxton

Yes, that's why there is a computer on board. It can make all the necessary corrections. Keep in mind that you don't have to fire long bursts for hours, rather short ones at regular intervals. This can be done in an automated fashion by computers in the late 24-th century.
Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer - USS Veracruz
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

From a roleplay perspective, Tranquility has now moved out of transporter range of Pinastri IV and Pathfinder.  The station is of course still in the same location on the sim, and yes, the transporter still has a beam in point.  However for accurate roleplay, if you are going to Tranquility, you should be taking a shuttle.

As far as avoiding falling into the sun, we do still have our thruster system on line, and they are programmed to fire automatically to keep us in this position until we engage the new orbital plot in 6 months.  So in a manner of speaking, we didnt move very far, we're just letting the orbit of Pinastri IV move away from us.
VulpinaHowley

I wish I had gotten involved with this discussion earlier.  I have two things I'd like to comment on.

First and simplest: Maximum safe transporter range would have to be increased to at least 1.5 million kilometers, but once that is possible, than one could travel to and from any location in an entire solar system, as long as enough relays are placed in strategic locations.  Until then, it looks like my commute to work will involve more shuttle flights.

Second:  The matter of moving the station.  First of all to get out of orbit around Panastri, I can only assume we've followed the traditions of space travelers of the past and used Panastri as a sling shot.  The less-stressful path to break free into is behind Panastri's path.  By doing this, our orbital velocity around the Pinastri sun has to slow down.  Slowing down to zero would leave the station falling into the sun and we certainly don't want to do that.  The slower our speed, the closer our orbit (around the sun).  The faster our speed, the further.  Whatever speed and direction we choose, we can get there gradually and the same goes for settling into our desired orbit.  I've heard suggest that we may want to park Tranquility on the LeGrange point that sits on the other side of the Pinastri sun.  Seems like a good idea, but dust and rocks tend to settle into LeGrange points. That might keep the deflectors busy, depending on how much is out there.  I'm going on LOA until Monday.  During that time, I may take out my old Physics I textbook and see what Keppler and Newton have to say (MmG/r^2 ?).
Jim Foxley

What Kepler and Newton have to say is that orbits are not set and unset at our will. In a planetary system, something is always under the gravitational field of a planet or a moon, what would require constant use of full powered engines, not the eventual use of some thrust. As for Einstein there is no gravitational potential, Tranquility will be always falling towards a large body, and that can't be avoided.

Last but not least... call me a bugger, but I have to agree with Sam: Tranquility is no more a station, but a spaceship moving freely in space.
Sam Christiansen

I never said it was a spaceship, but technically yes, all stations are a form of spaceship, since they all have thrusters (i'm considering anything man-made with engines to be a spaceship in this case). But for all intents and purposes, they are stationary. At least, they're in relatively stable orbits. Which can be considered stationary.
Jim Foxley

Sam Christiansen wrote: I never said it was a spaceship, but technically yes, all stations are a form of spaceship, since they all have thrusters (i'm considering anything man-made with engines to be a spaceship in this case).
Thrusters and engines, in this case, are completely different things. Thursters have the single purpose of keeping a station in a stable orbit. As in any device in orbit of a planet, corrections must be made from time to time. In principle, at least, these thrusters don't have the capacity to provide motion to stations. Constant movement requires enourmous ammounts of fuel (whatever) and systems prepared for large ammounts of heating. To eventually fire thusters to correct an orbit is one thing, to break an orbit an keep moving is another thing, and in principle a device prepared for the first cannot engage on the second; anyway, a device prepared for the second task being used for the first is overshoot, and unnecessary expense of resources.
Last edited by Jim Foxley on 091214.1155, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SS Tranquility Archives”