:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket to UFStarfleet Support! (Must be logged into the forums to use this)
or through the UFS Discord Support System (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

USS T-Durant Mission TDRP20-06: "Floating in the most peculiar way" 200223

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sundays 11:15am SLT
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT
Ship's Records, 200221

PREAMBLE:
A suspected, unidentified Romulan agent, who masqueraded as medical Ensign known as 'Caitlin Colville,' had close contact with Admiral Poison Toocool when the Admiral was in Durant sickbay at the start of the conflict with the Romulans. Nanites were used, apparently to 'cure' the Admiral. However, she was not sick before she arrived on Durant, and those medical nanites seem to have now disappeared.

The false Colville disembarked at Space Station Alpha Therapévo, with the Admiral, to oversee her care and keeping, while the Durant continued its mission with the Fleet task force. After the battle was over, certain facts came to light which led to the start of a search for the suspected agent. Station security responded to Starfleet Intelligence's long range comms, insisting they only have a record of Colville's arrival, and that, despite an alleged thorough search of records and the facility, she has not been located. They also claimed to be going through records of ships and shuttles leaving the facility since the Admiral arrived. However, the replies to the questions transmitted by Starfleet Intelligence were intermittent at best -- and the Intel officer on the case suspected that there may be someone on the inside working to scuttle the investigation.

The Durant subsequently arrived at SS Alpha Therapévo, expecting the cooperation of the station security team and easy access to any information that would assist them in tracking the suspected Romulan agent. They also intended to pick up Admiral Toocool. Upon their arrival, the station's head of security - a civilian known as Lyudmila - insisted the station was on lockdown and that no one could come aboard. Suspecting this to be a ruse to avoid questioning and a search of the station, Commander Evelyn Rieko made some veiled threats and took the Durant to red alert to put pressure on Lyudmila to allow the Starfleet team to board the station. Lyudmila capitulated and five Starfleet officers were permitted to beam over, and have a short meeting with her. She stated Toocool is not aboard the station, but would not provide any further information about the Admiral's whereabouts.

Commander Rieko asked Lyudmila to show her around the operations deck before beaming back to Durant. Other members of the Away Team requested to go to the Promenade to get some baking to take back to the ship. But havoc ensued when Comm Jordan and Ens Elton were found in Sick Bay instead of on the Promenade. Cmdr Rieko managed to thwart Lyudmila's attempts to kidnap the Away Team . After disabling the station's shields and weapons, Cmdr Rieko quickly gathered her wits and returned to Durant with the rest of the team, leaving the hapless SS Alpha Therapévo licking its wounds. Comm Jordan had in his possession a tricorder with encrypted information that was downloaded from the station computer in the nick of time.

As the flagship made its escape from the apparently hostile SS Alpha Therapévo, Tactical I scanned the area for warp trail signatures in the hopes of finding some clue that would help in locating Admiral Toocool. But his quick eye also detected a vessel in hot pursuit of the Durant, and identified it as Romulan. Science examined a variety of transporter buffer records and was able to determine that Admiral Toocool’s life signs changed while on Durant and she was still in that condition when transferred to SS Alpha Therapévo. Tactical II, in conjunction with medical, was able to determine that the nanites used to ‘heal’ Admiral Toocool’s alleged illness were, in fact, of Romulan make. Intelligence, after trying several variables, was able to establish that at least some of the encrypted data found in the records taken from SS Alpha Therapévo is in the ancient language of Iconia. Helm cleverly had several possible courses mapped out for the Durant, but strongly recommended that Command consider the idea of entering Klakkr's Drift to elude anyone following the starship. Command was not in favour of Helm’s recommendation, and ordered a course parallel to the nebula. The Durant has past history with nebulas and what-not. Never a pleasant experience.

LAST TIME ON STARSHIP DURANT:

Reluctance to enter the Klakkr's Drift was overcome when tactical and science detected the presence of at least three cloaked objects near, or travelling with, the smaller Romulan vessel which, although armed, would not be much of a threat to the flagship on its own. After considering all options, Command made the choice to enter the anomaly. Commodore Jordan continued to wrestle with the encrypted data procured from SS Alpha Therapévo. Tactical deployed several probes forward in the hopes that data from them would assist Durant with navigation inside the Drift. Tactical also detected something just across the event horizon but was unable to identify it. It could just be a swash of extra thick nebular cloud... but whatever it is, it quickly surrounded the Durant as the starship crossed the barrier between normal space and the Drift.

The story continues….

====OOC====
You should have read:
'Sleeping with the Enemy' 200119
http://www.ufstarfleet.org/forums/viewt ... 85&t=31699

TDRP20-02: " Sneaky Sneaking" 200126
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=31780

TDRP20-03: "J-Just Ch-Checking" 200202
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=31792

TDRP20-04: "Nine Ninths" 200209
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=31804

TDRP20-05: "Anomalous Drift" 200216
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=31812

LCARS:
http://wiki.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index. ... Sector_Map
http://wiki.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index. ... nta_Sector

=^=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Evelyn Rieko (Cmdr), XO/Chief Science
Rain Elton (Ensign), Helm ((Rain Torvalar))
Bruno Bonj (Cadet), Ops ((benjilabonj))
Leni (Lt Cmdr), Science ((Leninah))
Bodan Landar (Cadet), Science Two ((bodan))
Nems Darkstar (Lt), Tactical ((Knightspet))
Hal Jordan (Commodore), Intelligence ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Left to right: Jordan, Bonj, Rieko, Leni, Elton, Landar, Darkstar
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Evelyn Rieko: "At present we are inside Klakkr's Drift, surrounded by what seems like an extremely dense cloud. We need to find out the makeup of this density. Science and Tactical, do you have any readings back from the probes? Helm, how are we doing? Commodore Jordan, any progress on decoding the data from the space station? Reports, everyone."

Rain Elton has emptied her thoughts of everything but the task on hand as the ship sails into the drift. The only telltale sign of her stress is an occasional tug of her hair as she pilots the Durant into the virtually unknown. Otherwise her tone is the usual flat monotone of her Vulcan homeland, as she responds to Commander Reiko, "Sir, we are seventeen thousand kilometers into the drift and navigational sensors are not responding. I have started working with the computer *pauses a moment as she taps a few keys on her console* on dead reckoning, or as I have heard it once stated 'by the seat of my pants'".

Bruno Bonj taps his screen, analyzing what is going on. He looks over his shoulder to the crew behind him. "The probes are en route at a steady speed. I'm keeping a close log on what they're doing, so far they're not sending back any worthwhile information." He looks forward again at his screen. "In fact, I'd go so far as to say their telemetry seems a tad patchy. The same goes for the aft probe. I'm going to try my best where possible to make use of whatever data I'm getting and will work on boosting their signal."

Leni analyzes the surrounding material somewhat relieved it wasn't a cloaked Warbird at least. Completing the assessment of the nebula, she responds. "Sir, this appears to be a Class J Dark Nebula. This type of nebula is so dense that it obscures the visible wavelengths of light from objects behind it. Switching sensors to infrared and radio wavelengths to get the best indication of what may be obscured, also re-configuring the forward navigational probes to use those frequencies too. Uplink being sent now! Full analysis of the classification of the nebula available shortly." Her head looks down to the console as she works on the report, looking over to Cadet Bonj, remarking "Are you configured to receive the telemetry correctly Cadet? It's coming through here just fine. Let's look at what your station is set to?".

Bodan Landar ponders the uncertainty he senses among the bridge crew. He doesn't know any of them to speak of, but remains reassured they can traverse the nebula successfully. He cycles through the data feeds coming through on his panel when the astrometrics feed suddenly goes blank. "Commander, Astrometrics data has just gone AWOL." He turns to Commander Leninah beside him "Are you getting anything from Astrometrics, Commander?"

Nems Darkstar taps on his screen. His tactical sensors are down. He really needs them at this point. Looking over the data he is getting from Science about the aft probe. That's all we seem to be working with.

Hal Jordan watched as the computer went through round after round of attempts to decode the data they had gathered on the space station. He had selected a fairly large block of text in the middle of the data for the computer to practice on, and he watched as the translation attempts swept through the text in wave after wave, with no appreciable success. He looked up at the viewscreen briefly, long enough to see the clouds drifting past, and then looked back down to concentrate on the translation. He turned to the XO as she asked for reports. "Sir, I am continuing to try various methods of decoding this data, but I have achieved very little success thus far, just a word or two here and there."

Rieko stands in front of the Captain's chair, looking at the strange darkness on the screen, no beautiful swirling dust and gases like most nebulae possess. She runs her fingers through the ends of her hair, "Swirling darkness, the ship feels different inside this anomaly. It's like we're floating....like we're in....I don't know...like a liquid. Is it possible that inside this Dark nebula, we're in fluidic space? I remember reading a bit about Species 8472, living in fluidic space. Commander Leni and Cadet Landar, research fluidic space. Ensign Rain, thanks for that report. Let's not venture any farther into this...soup. Work with Engineering to repair the navigational sensors. Cadet Bruno, report on shield integrity. Tactical, Lieutenant Nems, are there any other ships inside this drift? Did the Romulan ship follow us inside? She looks to the Commodore, disappointed. "Commodore, keep trying to decode the data. It must be vitally important if they went to such extremes to hide it."

Elton hears the conversations around her, mentally processing that we're simply lost in the dark and flying blind. Nevertheless, she continues her duty to keep the ship moving, knowing this choice to fly into the drift had the highest odds of success to both lose our followers without undue loss of life and also conceal our eventual flight path to find our Captain. She glances to her partner at Ops, "Cadet Bonj, it is essential we have maximum power to the deflectors at all times while we navigate the drift. Let me know if there are any fluctuations." Then to the Commander, "Sir, the navigational sensors are working. Even though they are not. We are getting interference from the drift itself." Then initiates contact to Engineering, sending information and a query as to any way of helping with the navigational sensors.

Bonj: "Shield integrity seems normal. I'm not seeing anything that strikes me as alarming thus far. Maximum power to the deflectors looks to be doing the trick, Ensign." He looks at the probe readings again and scratches his head, assessing the data on his screen. Watching as the telemetry communication readout seems to fluctuate from normal to non-existent. "I still don't understand, I've got my station set to monitor all radio, audio and infrared readouts from the probes, including gravitational and external readings. But..." He continues to tap. "Look, there... It's faded out again!" He turns to Science. "I don't understand, are your readings registering as normal? Could be a blink in my station. Although, I can't say I've encountered inaccuracy before." He tries to increase the sensitivity of the sensors, hoping that it'll deliver more detailed results.

Leni Nods to Cadet Landar, responding "Yes Cadet, just one moment" Studies the telemetry from the rapidly deployed 9 forward probes to provide an idea of what was ahead in the dense expanse of the 'Klakkr's Drift' nebula. Configuring the output of the merged results onto a single view, in-filling between the probes to compensate for any gaps and preparing that for the main view screen. Once ready, she reports "Sir, we now have a consolidated visible time limited validity view of what's ahead and 45 degrees either side of dead ahead ready to be routed to main viewer on command. It's not perfect but it gives us a tunnel view of where we're going at least. Speed needs to remain below warp to maintain this view. Accelerating to warp would lose the data stream with the navigational probes, which shouldn't be any additional restriction as helm has already pointed out entering warp would cause a problem. Adjusting the course will only work with this if the course correction is also sent ahead of it happening to the probes too, so helm, please take note to send course changes ahead to the probes."

Landar scrambles away at his panel trying to bring the Astrometrics feed back online, but to no avail. Blind now, so to speak. After conferring with Commander Leni, he tries various alternate configurations of his station in a vain attempt to regain access to the data.

Darkstar Looks to Commander Rieko, "Sir, according to the data I am seeing on my screen, the Romulan ship did follow us inside this drift. Why, I have no idea. Why would they continue to follow us? What is their purpose in doing so? That I do not know, Sir. That is the only ship that I can tell that is inside this drift with us, Sir."

Jordan looked at the translation and decoding setup being displayed on several screens on his console. He had tied in the Universal Translator and programmed it to look for dictionary words, slang words, and proper names in every known language. He had the special character strings like "y^^g^^" set up to implement a simple letter substitution, which so far was yielding no spectacular results. That line of inquiry needed to be terminated and replaced with something more successful. He looked at the XO with frustration on his face. "Sir, I have tried all of the standard decoding methods and even invented a few new algorithms, all without success. I would like to get my hands on the evil life form that encrypted this data. I would also like to see the computer that's set up to decrypt it." Suddenly he went silent, his eyes looking at nothing in particular, as the "Eureka" idea formed in his mind.

Rieko Looks to Commander Leni, "Good work on getting us a view of what's ahead. Route to main viewer now. Lets see what this is. Also, Commander Leni and Cadet Landar, we need more data on what the composition is of this drift. This is so dense and unlike any part of space I've been in or know of. I asked for any data on fluidic space. Data from the probes should give us info on the composition of this drift. We have no intention of going to warp, thanks Commander. Thanks for your report Lieutenant Nems and everyone." Rieko Looks to Hal, "Commodore, maybe step away from your decoding and take a break. Sometimes that helps. When you go back to it later you may be refreshed and work may go better. For now...help with finding info on this area of space...what is this? How will we get through it?

Elton brings the ship to a complete stop as ordered and takes a deep meditating breath as the ship hangs in space, and then tilts a head sideways a little taking in the information from Science and responds with a simple "Aye" as she thinks over the situation. Engineering had gone silent from her query and was working on their end of the problem. While the ship was momentarily stopped, she was feeding the probe information back to her station as well and made a discovery. "Lt, Leni, can you please confirm, it appears the density of the local area is changing. It seems to be lessening forward of us and yet getting thicker to our sides. I don't know what to make of that."

Bonj: With all settings on the console set to maximum he hits his comm badge. "Cadet Bonj to Engineering, is there anything you can do to boost communication integrity with the probes? I'm getting patchy information at best. Some of the probes sending normal information, some flickering in and out, some not responding, one of them seems to almost appear as though it's not moving at all. It must be some kind of error in the system. Let me know if there's anything you can do." He continues working, shaking his head quietly. "If it's any consolation, our path ahead appears clear for the moment. I suggest maintaining a steady pace, given we've got a very limited reach. Shields are holding."

Leni sends the consolidated cross-patched sensor feed to all stations. "OK that should clear up some of the intermittent-ness you've been getting. Let me know if not, and I'll come over and assist you." Glancing across to Commodore Jordan and notices the glazed look in his eyes and whispers across the bridge to Rain at Helm "Either he's got a breakthrough idea or he's given up and is looking at the latest issue of 'Service Mechanoid Weekly.' I do for our sake, hope it's the former!" Adding onto the end of that more intentionally audibly "Yes I confirm density is varying." Noting the XO's requests, responds "Sir, the nebula is dense but is composed of mainly dust matter in various intensities. There is no evidence this is fluidic. If it were, we wouldn't be seeing such varying concentrations of matter. It would be more consistent, and we wouldn't be identifying dust so easily. Unless something is seriously wrong with our sensors, we are in a Class J nebula Sir."

Landar glances round at the other cadet on the bridge. He thinks to himself surely if we can't go to warp, then diverting power from the warp drive to comms would give him the boost he needed? "Cadet Bonj, would it not be prudent to divert power from the Warp engines through Comms to give you the boost?"

Jordan deliberately avoided looking at his console as the new idea took shape. He had been thinking about how a computer could be set up to decode what seemed like a horribly scrambled message. The idea that had popped up immediately after that was, what if the special characters in the message were not words to be decoded, but programming language that caused the computer to take certain actions? There was a danger in allowing the computer to act on instructions contained in a file of unknown purpose, though. Before proceeding, he disconnected his console from all Ship Control systems, so it would not be able to drop the antimatter containment field, for example. Then he ordered it to search for any computer codes or instructions in the data, and compile a list of what it found. He stood up from the console and stretched, and then sat down at an open auxiliary console and began to look at how the Drift was affecting the ship's systems.

Rieko: "OK, not fluidic space. Science, do you have any data from the probes showing the composition of this area of space?" This is unusual...so strange..even the feel of the ship feels like it's floating...I don't want to go through this. "Helm, let's try going back out the way we came in. Helm, one quarter impulse. Let's turn around. We're going back out the way we came into this weird space." Looks to the Commodore. He seems intense. Well, hopefully he has a breakthrough.

Elton quirks an eyebrow at Leni's comment about the 'Service Mechanoid Weekly' and briefly wonders what is that, and thinks it's better to simply acknowledge her and give a slight nod as she also confirms the density is changing. She then turns to the Commander, "Sir, I must point out that the path we are currently facing is actually shrinking in density while the density to our sides is increasing. It is most unusual" All while she obeys the command to turn around, "Aye, bringing the ship around, one quarter impulse."

Bonj focuses on the panel in front of him as the consolidated cross-patched sensor feed comes through. He looks as the clarity of the sensors increases, not perfect by any means but readable enough to be of use. "Thanks for that, I can confirm it's looking a bit more understandable now. It's lit up like Christmas lights!" He stops to take in the information in front of him. "Hmm. Our furthest probes seem to be almost entirely not responding. The other thing that's strange is that whilst we are moving, the sensors almost look as though they've reached a barrier of some kind. They just aren't moving. This feels somewhat alarming. I'd only divert warp power under Captain's discretion. I don't know if we should gamble with our warp capability just yet. It's probably better to get out of trouble, faster than we get into it."

Leni touches the icon to send the new navigational view to the main view screen and returns to the data on the surrounding mass, content that there was never a dull moment aboard this ship. She runs analysis routines on the sensor readings for that. After a few minutes, and several frowns and raised eyebrows worthy of a Vulcan, she reports. "Regarding the mass surrounding the ship Sir? I am detecting several differences between it and the other nebula matter. This has more intricate repeating patterns, it has a different consistency in density making a definite distinct shape to it. Also, its movement is much faster than the matter around it, and that too has a differing pattern." She pauses a moment before taking this jump. "Sir, if I were to postulate based on current evidence, I would say this mass is exhibiting signs not dissimilar to a living organism. Which we have somehow managed to get into the middle of, I'm still trying to figure out how that could have happened, but for now I'm requesting Engineering to report on the state of the ship's hull, Just in case we're Jonah."

Darkstar, looking at his screen, watching the trail of the Romulan ship as best he could. They were keeping their distance but slowly matching our every move.

Jordan sat at station "AUXILIARY SYSTEMS I" and monitored the power flow to various systems. Let the Intel station work on the data, and he would refresh his mind working on something else. Just like in the Nekrit Expanse, the gas clouds and miscellaneous debris in this Klakkr's Drift were putting a tremendous strain on Durant's shields. If this continued, Ops would need to transfer power from nonessential systems...like his COMM console! He quickly stood up and turned to the XO. "SIR, WE MAY NEED TO..." Just then every light on the bridge flickered off and then back on. He ran to the COMM console and saw that it was dark. "...divert power from nonessential systems to the shields," he finished weakly. He watched as the COMM console began to restart, its various screens starting up with the same information displays as when they had shut down. You had to hand it to Starfleet - their computer systems were top notch, and rarely disappointing. He watched as the console went back to work analyzing the data

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Evelyn Rieko (Cmdr), XO/Chief Science

Rain Elton (Ensign), Helm ((Rain Torvalar))

Bruno Bonj (Cadet), Ops ((benjilabonj))

Leni (Lt Cmdr), Science ((Leninah))

Bodan Landar (Cadet), Science Two ((bodan))

Nems Darkstar (Lt), Tactical ((Knightspet))

Hal Jordan (Commodore), Intelligence ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Yellow Alert, entering Klakkr's Drift

Bridge, view of port side

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”