Moderators: Drewski Northman, Siobhan Crystal

Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Duty Post: Medical Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas
Grid: 001 Second Life

Personal Log-Log 1

Personal Logs are reflective in nature, and I suppose it is a good way to document this journey.
I have completed my required coursework at the Academy and while elements of it were challenging, by and large the majority of the work was fairly easy. Although I have NO idea why I was required to complete courses in helmsmanship. As one of my college professors would say, “Tatumn, it’s to make you more well-rounded”. Go figure…. Regardless, I successfully passed all of my basic courses and excelled in the medical division.

My primary specialty is psychology and counseling, which falls under the medical section. However, in my training I scored well enough to also complete additional medical training in field medicine. I suppose that is because of the fleet having marines, and those marines seemingly getting into a variety of issues during away missions. However, I doubt that I will attend many away missions.
Also, I suppose it’s important to share that I was selected to complete Mid-shipman’s school. I am reporting for that in the morning. I have read all that I can about the program, and I am looking forward to the additional medical training.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log-Log 2
Well, I am unpacking again, in a small mid-shipman’s cabin. I would like to say that I am in a spacious cabin to myself, with a lovely view of the ship’s fantail, however the room I am in has NO windows, and is spartan at best. I am sharing a bunk with a human named Janice.

I like Janice, but she is beyond easy to read. She is always full of doubt, she seems to always worry about what everyone else thinks and honestly, I think she is trying to prove to herself that she belongs here. She has kept me away with her constant babbling both verbally as well as mentally. I am thankful my training as a child has helped me mute her, at least while I am asleep.

I will write more once I get rest…..IF Janice will shhhhhhh.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log-Log 3

The first week of mid-shipman school was intense to say the least. We have had 2 surprise inspections, a 5 mile hike, and 3 pop-quizzes in my advanced medicine course. To say that things have been busy would be an understatement. Things have been crazy!

I will share that despite the chaos, I have managed to effectively block Janice mentally, so I don’t have to listen to her incessant babbling in my head! Likewise, I was able to finally get some solid rest today. So, things are looking up.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log-Log 4

Mid-shipman school has kept me hopping to say the least. I have not been able to write as much as I had hoped, but finally I have managed to get a break.

Oh, and an interesting tid-bit happened today, as part of my additional training I was asked to complete some advanced science courses. I passed my oceanography course by exam only! It blew away my advisor who asked how I knew so much about the ocean. Once I explained that my father had studied the ocean most of his career and that likewise I had spent most of my teen years working as a lifeguard on the beach, it all was explained!

Also, as part of my additional training, I get the opportunity to travel with a couple of different fleet ships or stations. I feel like a kid in the candy store! Do I want a ground assignment, a dock assignment of perhaps a starship.

I suppose my first trip will be this amazing ship that heard about in the mess hall, the USS Veracruz. So I am packing my overnight bag and heading there via shuttle. I will write more once I am aboard.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log-Log 5

The Veracruz is a lovely ship, and the crew was quite welcoming. I was thrusted headfirst into service in performing an autopsy on the body of a spy.
Now before I get in depth about any of this, I have to tell you that working with a cadaver is not my thing. I took the basic forensics course on examining the body, its systems, organs, etc. However, I am far from an expert in this field. However, I was commissioned to examine the body of clues.

Considering that this is my personal log, rather than a medical log I will not get into much detail. However, after spending the better part of the mission examining the body, I was able to conclude that the subject was infected with a disease which, in time would have killed him. However, his death was hastened by something that is still classified, which I cannot discuss deeper.
Regardless of this, the voyage on the ship was good.

As I mentioned, the captain and crew were accommodating. However, the place didn’t feel like…..I am not sure how to phrase this, but the Veracruz didn’t feel like home. So, I am back on the shuttle and heading back to complete my mid-shipman work.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log-Log 6

It is crazy sometimes the paths we take in life! Tonight as we are finishing up our last set of mid-shipman exams, our group went out to celebrate. Now I will tell you from experience, I DO NOT Drink! NOPE! NODDA! I discovered that I don’t hold my liquor well while in college. Maybe another time I will share that story, but for the moment just know that I don’t drink.

However, the group decided to do some shots, along with playing some pub type games. All was good in the world, but then the alcohol started talking. At the half-way point in the night our group of 12 was feeling good and that is when someone issued some challenges.

One challenge was for Russ to drink a flaming drink. He burned off his eyebrows, and likewise caught his nose hair on FIRE, but he managed to down the drink in one gulp! Later in the night someone offered a challenge to the group. I wasn’t paying attention to who started what, but the challenge became for someone to do a jump or vault up to the chandelier above the bar and retrieve a wooden golden ring that had been tossed up there earlier in the night.

My team, knowing that I have some acrobatic skills, volunteered me to retrieve the ring. Before I knew what was happening, several of my fellow mid-shipmen hoisted me up onto the oaken bar and people began to wager on my chances of success!

It is amazing how people judge you, based simply on your looks and size. The betting pool was up to over 900 credits that I would NOT successfully retrieve the ring without falling or missing the chandelier. Now while I don’t like gambling personally, I do like to prove people wrong.

I drew on my experience vaulting and did a sprint down the bar, a front handspring which catapulted me off the bar and onto the hanging chandelier. Once holding onto the hanging light source, I was able to pull myself up and grab the ring without any trouble. I then jumped down and landed back on the bar. The first set of cheers since my days of performing went up and my squad collected on the bets.

As for my share of the winnings, I bought myself a new pair of riding boots! Never underestimate a shortie!
Last edited by Tatumnz Resident on 240101.1930, edited 1 time in total.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log-Log 7

There is something refreshing about going shopping. Perhaps that is one of the things which keeps me balanced after these long classes. Being able to go shopping and perform my gymnastics exercises helps me shake off the stress. Plus, a little retail therapy never hurt anyone.

So I am reaching the end of my mid-shipman days and I am getting the opportunity to visit another fleet facility or ship. I have been reading about the various ships of the line and I am planning on visiting the USS Atlas next. It has a solid reputation and tends to get into various…. shenanigans, so it could be a better fit for me.

Wherever I end up, I want it to be both exciting, as well as homey. So we will see how the Atlas measures up.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

<Academy Squadron Note>

Ens. Tatum-Voted most likely to knock someone out with a med-kit!

“During holographic mission 411-A Training Section B. Ens Tatumn, while serving as a junior medical officer and lacking a phaser did willfully strike and knock unconscious the hologram program’s protagonist, Simmons Leclerc. Upon contact with the humanoid she struck his skull hard enough to fracture his skull, knocking him into a comatose state and covering his head with a large amount of burn crème from her med-kit”.

Unofficially Tatum has drawn the academy nickname of "Icing” for the large amount of burn crème which inadvertently became applied to Simmons Leclerc in the simulation.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Choices….

After visiting the Atlas on two separate occasions, I have to admit that I like the overall feel of the ship. Although I am a rookie medical officer, I have been assigned to assist the Marines on an away mission. I never honestly expected to be on away missions as an ensign. Everything that I learned in the academy suggested that while junior officers may be involved in some elements of planetside operations, most of the time senior officers handle the lion’s share of the responsibility. However, I have been tapped to join a group of senior officers and marines in this mission.

The mission was strange in that the group was tasked with infiltrating a location which reminded me of ancient Egypt. The specifics of the mission were somewhat complex and classified. I was asked to serve as the medical officer/field medic for the group. However this mission was a challenge in more ways than one.

Elements of this mission required our group to move covertly past sentinels and avoid detection. Our group also had to jump, and climb walls silently in the process. Beyond all of this I had to not only carry my med-kit, but likewise I had to kiss and make-up with my phaser which was sulking in the bottom of my academy duffel bag.

While I am on the subject, I want to say that phasers are an odd thing, at least from a medical officer's standpoint. My goal is to help people and alleviate suffering. I never expected to need a phaser in my job, but discovered that in certain situations having this tool could potentially save my life or the lives of my patients. Still, I feel like an old west cowgirl when I am walking around with one of those things on my hip.

Within the scope of this mission, we finally encountered the subject of our infiltration. As we moved up and into the area, our team was noticed. The result was that our marine detachment was swatted away like flies. I was able to slip up and behind the squad and render aid to them. I performed a general scan to ensure they were okay and then administered a small dosage of Cortropine to assist with the pain of being flung across the concrete pavilion. This was enough to re-energize them and thankfully the Marines sprang back into action, albeit more cautiously.

With some skilled discussion and open dialogue our team was able to resolve the issue on the surface. Once things were diffused our team was shown the complex and marketplace.

The market place was simply amazing. Dozens upon dozens of vendors selling all kinds of items. I was amazed by the sights, sounds and smells of this open market. I was able to taste a few new things, which included a crunchy delight. This finger food was made of scorpions and carried with it a warning to “NOT CONSUME if pregnant, nursing or if you have open sores/wounds in your mouth or throat”. Now I will say that consuming this did add a bit of a zing to my diet and made my tongue numb for a few minutes. However, aside from those minor ailments the dish was amazing!

So back to choices…. After visiting the Atlas twice and another ship once, I have decided to begin my journey here! Both the CO and the XO seem excited to have me. I feel this will be a good place for me to learn things and hopefully help as well.
Last edited by Tatumnz Resident on 240115.1552, edited 1 time in total.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Irony....

Personal Entry-Supplemental

Shortly after receiving my quarters and formally accepting a position as JMO (Junior Medical Officer) on the atlas I received a communica that I had been awarded a ribbon for combat service. I was able to replicate the ribbon and wouldn't you know it, the ribbon has a phaser on it! Go figure!
As my grandfather would say, "Ain't that a kick in the head!"

Oddly I have not yet received my ribbon for completing my Midshipman classes/cruise. I will have to check into that. However, it’s really not a big deal, but it may impress the guys when I get shore leave!
Last edited by Tatumnz Resident on 240119.1607, edited 1 time in total.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log- A first healing!

Well one of my first duties was to assist a marine in restoring his hearing. From the reports and the previous entry in his medical file, the General apparently received level 2 hearing damage to his right ear drum.

The eardrum trauma was from an explosion and is what resulted in his arrival in sickbay. I performed a full scan on the patient and then a focused, 3-D scan of his skull. While I am new at this, I wanted to be through. I checked for skull damage beyond the ruptured eardrum.

When I am dealing with medical treatment, especially aboard the ship, I tend to double check everything. As I was told in my training as a doctor, “There are mistakes and then there are MISTAKES. The margin for error is narrow in medicine and especially in fleet medicine. There’s too much risk for loss of life and permanent damage possible with each mistake”. So, when I have the time and resources, I am very deliberate in my evaluation and treatment of my patients.

In the case of the Marine General, his surgery was fairly easy. I was able to debrided the area within his ear, and with a small amount of neuroplastic gel I was able to patch the wound. Once I exposed the gel to the warmth of the human body and a small zap of UV light, the substance molds, shapes and seals the hole in the affected area. This allows for the eardrum to resume its normal function within the matter of a few hours. I placed him on light duty for the evening and scheduled a follow-up after morning muster.

So far, I find myself dealing with minor medical duties. However, I cannot but help to conclude that being here, on a line ship is far, far better than being on a station. I could not imagine sitting on a deep space station and watching the ships pass.
Last edited by Tatumnz Resident on 240119.1606, edited 1 time in total.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log-Athletic Endeavors and Holodecks!

The Atlas is a fine ship! While I won’t admit this to anyone, I am consistently getting lost on this ship. The size and layout of the decks, along with the taupe color makes almost everything look the same! If there is ever a medical emergency, I may need to program the computer to give me a turn-by-turn directions so I can respond to the location without getting lost!

Beyond the vastness of this ship, I am pleased to see that it has an immense gymnasium as well as numerous holodecks. The gymnasiums are nice but are very general in nature. Weight bearing machines, classic stationary exercise machines for running, rowing, and skiing are all present. However, these things…. they are rather boring, least for me. So, in my downtime, I have been working on some holodeck programming.

Whoever said holodeck programming is easy, was a liar! It takes time and practice to get things balanced and connected. So, after working on this program for the better part of two weeks, I have recreated my high school’s gymnastics venue.

My high school, the feels, the smells and the history of my time there all send chills through my spine. It is like being home again where everything makes sense. It was in high school where I really found my balance in life and that came from tumbling. I was noticed in a simple physical exercise class and snapped up the school’s gymnastics coach. The rest, as they say, is history.

So, utilizing some holo-images, along with data from the current location I was able, after several tries to recreate my school’s athletic wing. At first, I was so pleased with this build that I used it for several hours. My tumbling was solid, and I felt like a teenager again, however something was missing. For awhile I sat cross-legged in the middle of the springboard tumbling floor trying to deduce what was missing. It wasn’t until the end of my shower that I realized that it was people that I missed. My teammates and my coaches, without them the place felt empty.

Therefore, before I turned in for the evening, I managed to program in some simple, default gymnasts and tumblers from the database. I am hopeful that these will meet my needs when I get a chance to tweak things again on the holodeck.
Last edited by Tatumnz Resident on 240119.1605, edited 1 time in total.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log-Climbing to new heights!

Reflecting upon my first away mission, I decided to add a climbing wall to my holodeck gymnastics program. Now while it is true that my school does have a climbing wall, the one I added in my program is far taller and requires more skill to traverse. I added this after having to scale the sandstone Egyptian walls on my first mission with the Atlas crew. I figured it would be good training, as well as exercise for me.

I spent an hour working on my flexibility and then climbing the wall. In reflection, I will say I am nimbler that I give myself credit for. As a result, I was able to make it to the top of the wall, which is over two stories tall. As a challenge next time, I will add my full medical gear and attempt the climb. However, for now I am soaking and resting after a good workout. Here is a holo of me scaling the wall for the first time.

(Link would not work no matter how I embedded it, so click to see)
https://ibb.co/Lp7x6vf
Last edited by Tatumnz Resident on 240208.1816, edited 2 times in total.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log-“Home Again or Drinking, Gambling and……”

With the Atlas being put into space dock for upgrades and repairs, the crew has been provided holiday liberty. With the break in action, I packed my gear and headed home. Traveling light I was able to catch a ride on a resupply freighter heading to the outskirts of my system. The ship consists of 12, rather crazy and somewhat laxed Merchant Marines, however they were willing for me to catch a ride home for the holidays, so it all works out in the end.

The trip was rather boring, and the group ended up playing several hands of poker. Now I will admit that I know next to nothing about card games, but I know when someone is cheating. Their voice, their eyes, the fidgeting in their chairs all serve as a “tells” when someone is lying. As a skilled psychologist/counselor I can discern lies quite easily, toss in my natural skills as a Betazed and well, it’s quite simple. However, the marines didn’t realize this.

The group of Merchant Marines were doing shots and smoking cigars at the poker game. They begged me to play and when I told them I had never played poker, well….they were insistent that I join them. After watching and getting the basics of the game, I half-heartedly joined them. Mostly so I could get them off my back about it.

The game started easily, and I watched as everyone showed me their individual tells. I lost several hands as I figured out what each player’s tells were and how to play the game. These early losses seemed to embolden the drunken men and they decided they would beat me out my credits and clothes! However, alcohol, arrogance and wagering against a Betazed isn’t wise.

After “an all-night poker game”, I left the table with all my credits intact, my clothes still on and the majority of the crew drunk, partially clothed and credit less! The game impressed the captain as he “liked my spunk” and assured me that I was welcome on his freighter anytime. Confused I questioned him as to why he felt this, considering how things turned out for his men. That’s when the burly captain slapped me on the back and shared that my visit was better than any shore leave that they had in months. Apparently being able to drink, gamble and flirt- albeit poorly with a woman without being arrested at the conclusion was a new experience for the crew.

Now I have some extra credits to get some Christmas gifts for my sister and a utterly ridiculous hat which might come in handy for next Halloween. Regardless I was thankful when I was able to depart the ship and catch a shuttle to the nearby moon of my home world. From there I transported down and made my way home!
Last edited by Tatumnz Resident on 240208.1816, edited 1 time in total.
Tatumnz Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG

Personal Log-Two Weeks Liberty…..

I am home and while I am out of uniform, I find myself continuing to do many of things that I learned in the academy. I am up by 06:00, dressed and out the door by 07:00. Even when I have tried to sleep in, I still seem to wake up around the same time. I guess some things are hard to shake, even when you’re taking a break.

The last few days I have been catching up with my sister, Nissa. She has been seeing to things while I am away. My sister and I are completely opposite in many respects. She loves quiet and I love excitement. Nissa enjoys a nice glass of wine and me, well I don’t drink. I learned that in my days at the University of Mississippi. Nissa can sleep until noon, I am up at sunrise! So very different, but we both are passionate about our family and spending time together.

Nissa has accepted a position at the Oceanic Institute, the very same place where my father worked most of his life. She is studying the ocean and the underwater caverns which contain areas which have never been explored. So, my sister is very excited at the chance to do something new, but also something that connects her to our father’s work.

As for me, on my first week off, I revisited my former boss on the beach. To my surprise, Captain David had heard of my success in the fleet and was pleased about my coming home, even if it was just for the holidays. After we talked awhile, he asked me if I would be interested in manning a lifeguard tower again, “for old times’ sake”. My brain shifted back and forth for a few minutes as I looked out over the ocean. After a silent debate, I decided to do a few shifts. It would be nice to be back on the sand again and feeling the warmth of the sun on my face is welcomed.

I will write more as the liberty continues, but right now I am meeting Nissa at home to decorate for the holidays. While Humans do an amazing job with celebrating Christmas, you haven’t lived until you have celebrated the winter holidays here on Betazed.
Last edited by Tatumnz Resident on 240208.1822, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “USS Atlas - Crew Personal Logs”