USS Atlas - Engineering Log

Moderators: Drewski Northman, Siobhan Crystal, Drewski Northman, Siobhan Crystal, Drewski Northman, Siobhan Crystal

Lan Nakajima
Engineering - Captain
Engineering - Captain
Duty Post: Chief Engineer
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri Colony
Grid: 001 Second Life

[All Engineering Department Logs are to be posted in this thread.]
Jimmbo Resident
Engineering - Lieutenant Commander
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas
Grid: Second Life Grid

Engineering Log 220928

It has been a few days since our encounter with a hostile species. The Atlas suffered some minor to moderate damage from the engagement. Engineering crews have been working tirelessly to repair any damage to the ship and its systems. We also had the three different sections go to warp separated, I am proud to say that due to the diligence and professionalism of our engineering teams in their duty to maintain our systems the separation of all sections as well as the warp jump of each individual section went off without a hitch. This is due in part to the strong ability of the Security team working tactical and Engineering teams of the USS Atlas to work together. A great example of this is the maneuver used to disengage from the hostile species where engineering working along side tactical vented plasma so that tactical could ignite the plasma trail disabling the hostiles ships.

Ensign Jim Schmidt - Engineering Officer

[END LOG]
LT-Cmdr Jim Schmidt
Chief Engineer
Engineering | USS Atlas
CompOps - Discord Lead
Jimmbo Resident

Engineering Log 221006

Engineering had its hands full this week. Repairs continued on the battle damage. It appears some systems originally believed to not be damaged were. Myself along with an Engineering crew member located a damaged conduit in engineering. During the repairs we cycled the warp core. Upon initializing the warp core went into an emergency shutdown and a power overload damaged systems across deck 2. Most affected being the transporter systems. The transporter was placed on emergency power backup in order to get our away team back on board. One thing we did not notice right away was an issue in our transporter that caused our CMO to have their DNA spliced with that of some local fauna. I have some engineers working in the Engineering lab to determine a way be may be able to reverse the effects of this, so far studies have been inconclusive.

Engineering Officer Jim Schmidtz | USS Atlas

END LOG
LT-Cmdr Jim Schmidt
Chief Engineer
Engineering | USS Atlas
CompOps - Discord Lead
Jimmbo Resident

Engineering Log 221012

All repairs on the Engineering Departments list for the past couple weeks have been repaired. We have been keeping a close eye on the Warp Core and other sub systems to make sure we have caught everything that was affected. We completed these repairs just in time it would seem, we have found an M Class Planet and an away team was dispatched to the surface. Hopefully this time everyone will come back with the same appendages they left with. We also had a yellow alert activated, I am unsure as to what is going on I will need to make sure to head up to the bridge and see what they may need from us. In the mean time I have made sure Engineering has complied with the Yellow alert and everyone is at their duty stations.

END LOG
LT-Cmdr Jim Schmidt
Chief Engineer
Engineering | USS Atlas
CompOps - Discord Lead
Jimmbo Resident

Engineering Log 221018

It has been a very busy week for the Engineering teams of the USS Atlas. We have been working tirelessly to force open the vault that our away team went missing in. Engineering teams have been working in shifts with blow torches working on cutting the doors locking mechanisms. Yesterday we were finally able to open the doors. We waited for a second away team to join us lead by Captain Northman. Upon entering the vault, we discovered our friends and crew mates in cryo stasis pods hooked into an altered reality through neurological links in the pods. Soon the computers AI began talking to us and began attempting to get us into the pods first by trying to talk us into them and then by force. I was able to create a root entry into the program and shut down the AI just in time. After finding the code to end the program was blocked by a vote requiring majority of virtual reality participants the Captain elected to go in to try to convince them. Together with Science I was able to create an interface to communicate with out team while they were inside. The Captain was able to secure the cooperation of the inhabitants and soon our team was released as well as inhabitants world wide in similar vaults. Was it the right decision? Was it a breach of the Prime Directive? Was it our only option? That is for a panel of Starfleet Command to determine. For now I am happy that all our crew made it out and I am proud our engineers worked so diligently to make it happen.

END LOG
LT-Cmdr Jim Schmidt
Chief Engineer
Engineering | USS Atlas
CompOps - Discord Lead
Direwolf Straaf
Engineering - Lieutenant
Engineering - Lieutenant
Duty Post: Engineering Officer
Grid: 001 Second Life Grid

Engineering Log 230206

Engineering crews were dispatched to try and fix the numerous problems with the EPS conduits. I reported these issues repeatedly to the Bridge but in the throws of whatever was afflicting us, they seemed to have been missed. There were serious power issues as well as problems that could cause serious damage to Atlas. After some attempts, the Chef of USS Atlas contacted, they were on the bridge. I did not know that Chef is such an exalted position on Federation ships, but I suppose it makes sense as all most of the crew ever seems to talk about is food. At any rate, I apologize for diverging in my official duty log. The Chef aided me as much as they could but sadly most of the bridge crew seemed incapacitated. An idea came from these rambling people, however, that a shield harmonic change could shield out the signal that was causing us all difficulty. The issue was that no one seemed able to provide the frequency needed.

Soon we all began humming the same few notes. All the other individuals in engineering had even joined in. My idea, which I was admittedly desperate at the time as it seemed quite foolish, was to feed the frequency we were repeating into the system. IT was less the tune and more the pitch and tone that seemed to make things work, as it did keep out the invading psychic attacks for some time. However, our power levels were already lowered due to the EPS conduits being compromised.

Working with helm and tactical, they found the power for use, I was able to bolster the system until we cleared the field. Now we must repair.

We must hold at warp five four 48 hours since the date of attack while EPS conduits are refurbished and replaced. After 48 hours, we should be able to achieve warp 8. Within 120 of the even we should be able to achieve nominal power to engines once more and resume our maximum speeds.

ENS Straaf Out.
Jimmbo Resident

Engineering Log 230214

Repairs are underway after our encounter with the space born neuron. Damage has been more severe than it appeared. The computers Bio-gel packs were affected similar to how the crew was. We used a temporary fix that we hope holds until a proper repair can be made. For now it seems to be holding and we have some of our sensors working again. The EPS Conduits were also affected, however, those were more of a straight forward fix. Crews continue to work on that at this time. With our current repairs Engineering has advised the captain that Warp 8 should be stable, which seems to be holding true for the moment. All of these repairs would have gone somewhat smoother if the creatures the crew brought on board for study had not somehow escaped containment. For now we are back underway.

END LOG
LT-Cmdr Jim Schmidt
Chief Engineer
Engineering | USS Atlas
CompOps - Discord Lead
Direwolf Straaf
Engineering - Lieutenant
Engineering - Lieutenant

Engineering Log - Stardate 230221

I arrived on duty in Main Engineering and spent some time deploying teams to deal with containment issues and our ongoing bioneural gelpack issues caused by the recent assault. The Bridge was notified of these problems. Soon afterwards, I was asked to report to the bridge and take Main Engineering there.

From main engineering I continued to report issues with Atlas in her current form:

1. Up to Warp 9.5 is now possible, but not necessarily desirable.

2. Teams are working to replace bioneural gel packs throughout the ship.

3. Our store of back up bioneurals is down to roughly 25% of capacity and falling. At our current rate of replacement and consumption, we will run out within ten days.

4. Recreational holodeck use has been suspended, as per instructions of the Captain to ensure computer systems are available elsewhere.

I have advised that:

1. Replicator use be severely diminished, perhaps as far down as to 15% for as long as we are low on bioneurals.

2. Gel packs from redundant or currently unused systems (such as recreational holodecks) be pulled and redistributed to areas that contain critical systems until we can get our stores back up.

We also encountered an Iconian Probe, something that could cause even more catastrophic damage if not kept away from our computer systems.

USS Atlas is mostly functional, although the brain of the ship is compromised and needs more attention than we may be able to give it at this immediate time, without a starbase.

End of Report
Direwolf Straaf
Engineering - Lieutenant
Engineering - Lieutenant

Engineering Log - Stardate 230321

I spent most of my shift restoring the many systems back to the preferred settings of the crew.

Parking in a Starbase is apparently often like this, they go in and make standard repairs, upgrades, etc. and in the process they set everything back to standard settings. I suppose they need to test the systems against a baseline, however it is annoying. Following the records that Lieutenant Schmidt gave me I was able to put most things back the way they were.

I did find some odd anomalies in the replicator systems, most notably I found and removed what was either a programming fault or an intentionally placed virus that would have resulted in the replicators going off line within a few weeks of us leaving the Starbase. I have reported the programing glitch to Starfleet in case it was an inadvertent addition to recent upgrades for the systems.

Additionally, I found and removed agaricus bisporus patterns from many foods that they didn't belong with. They were absolutely laced through the coffee patterns and keyed to the Captain's vocals. Ever time he was ordering coffee, he was getting it brewed with portobello mushrooms, oddly enough. I have requested the dietary requirement list of the crew, without names attached, and gone through to see if anything matches a need for agaricus bisporus. While there are some odd needs from the crew, that fungus does not appear present. As a result, I have removed it from several regular foods. It still can be found in dishes that seem to regularly contain it, but there is no need for "banana split with maraschino button mushrooms" or "strawberry and mushroom sundae".

It was also noticed that several security protocols had been enacted without warning. So far this does not cause difficulty for my tasks in Engineering, however I will have to keep an eye on this in case it does in the future.

Computer End Log
Direwolf Straaf
Engineering - Lieutenant
Engineering - Lieutenant

Engineering Log - Stardate 230401

I am unsure whether the events and work aboard USS Atlas is the norm or whether it is unusual in the ships of Starfleet. I hope I will eventually discover this as my knowledge will fill the current void about the subject to my people. I just know that the jobs, currently, see strange.

The most pressing matter is the work on the
SpoilerShow
redacted redacted
to help against what seems to be a new aggressor. On Aeraman we generally did not have external aggressors save the occasional Kazon raider. The work has progressed although we have had to make major compromises in terms of systems power to make it work properly. The tri-vector mode and ship's top speed will be severely compromised when the
SpoilerShow
redacted redeacted
is in use.

Other than that, I have found myself working with LT Schmidt to alter the external view of a shuttlecraft via holographic projectors in the last several days. It was a fairly easy install, if I am being honest although there are always problems with overlays in pre-existing craft. You cannot color outside the lines when it comes to a holographic overlay.

The most frustrating system I am finding is the replicator system. I know that power was used from that system for other areas, but they did not need to and there is no reason that the system should NOT be working right now. It almost seems like someone is regularly trying to cause issues with the replication systems, like sabotage. Normally I would not care, but several species, mine included, rely on replicated food for specific dietary needs that are very difficult to find otherwise. Normally food laced with lead would harm crew members, for example, but lead forms an important part of my basic body functions and therefore is needed. The replicator can provide that where the foods on this ship cannot. I will keep working to get the replicators reliably working.

ENS Straaf out.
Direwolf Straaf
Engineering - Lieutenant
Engineering - Lieutenant

Engineering Log - Stardate 230404

The following information is classified as per Captain's Orders

The specifications sent to us by USS Shogun proved adaptable to Atlas' systems, although some modifications had to be made.

The overall plans that Shogun came up with in the midst of danger are inspired, if unrefined. It is necessary to continue working through adjustments until we can attain full coverage over all parts of the ship with the psionic shield. For now, the holodeck and one science lab, Astrophysics I believe, are acceptable omissions. The Captain has decided to post guards to keep crew out of those two areas when the psionic shield is activated, until we can extend coverage properly.

In order to properly extend the psionic shield over the geometry of this ship, as well as using available power systems, as a Hestia Class vessel is different from a Gagarin Class vessel, we shunted the psionic shield emitters through the deflector dish, the partial ablative armor systems, and redundant shield emitters six and seven. This provided almost full coverage.

The physical alterations were made, and we now must test the new system. For this, the Captain will use on board telepaths who are aware of the project and bring us into orbit around a populated world. In theory they should 'feel' the minds on the planet until we turn on the shielding system. That is assuming, of course, that they are able to screen out shipboard minds and somehow focus on the planet itself. That is also assuming that the shield creates a two way block.

Unfortunately, while the testing as well is imperfect, it is the best we can do without controlled situations.

END LOG
Direwolf Straaf
Engineering - Lieutenant
Engineering - Lieutenant

Engineering Log - Stardate 230426

As per the Captain's orders I have changed into civilian garb provided by Chef Te'ellis, grabbed necessary items such as tools, and have spent my time studying the D'deridex Class Warbird.

It is a very large craft, but I am starting to see points of attachment for the psionic shields within its existing plans. While it generates a great deal of energy, it also expels a great deal. A ship that size has large amounts of energy for a reason, after all.

I will have to see the areas most important to extend a psionic shield over. I will have to most likely draw the energy from the cloaking device, as well as other systems.

If Chef Te'ellis can get me aboard, I will help them in any way I can. I am excited about this opportunity to learn. This is unique knowledge for certain.

End Log
Direwolf Straaf
Engineering - Lieutenant
Engineering - Lieutenant

Stardate 230502.1056

I have returned to USS Atlas and delivered the information that I obtained while onboard the Class B Romulan Warbird with Chef Te'ellis.

The trip went well, the warbird was properly outfitted with psionic shields that MOSTLY protects the ship, when necessary. The power of the Telepathic Empire over the psionic crew of the warbird was broken.

I am, however, unimpressed with the state that I found the ship in when I returned, particularly Main Engineering.

It seems that I am the only one on the Atlas capable of using cleaning implements. I understand that a battle took place, but to have this much mess still remaining after two days is unbelievable.

To make matters worse, after throwing me off of a boat in the holodeck (I will admit, that was somewhat enjoyable as the parameters for the holodeck were changed so I actually was buoyant and could swim for the first time), the CO ordered us away for rest and relaxation.

How can I rest when the ship is such a mess?

Computer End Log
Direwolf Straaf
Engineering - Lieutenant
Engineering - Lieutenant

Stardate 230516

LTjg Straaf reporting,

We successfully jury-rigged the Quantum Slipstream to get us out of the strange void we found ourselves in. I have sent information about how we did it to the Engineering database via subspace relay in case another ship find themselves in a similar predicament.

I am currently working to rebuild the Quantum Slipstream Drive, but it will take time and it is difficult. My forebearers were among the pioneers who created WARP drive on my planet, QSD is something that I have had to learn about since I joined Starfleet. The system is both deceptively simple looking and extraordinarily complicated.

The Quantum Matrix Initiator (QMI) has been nearly disintegrated in our attempt to get back. It will have to be replicated piece by piece and reassembled. This alone will take a fair amount of time, as a micron out and the Initiator will not work.

The Benamite Crystal that helped cause our predicament is noticeably cracked due to microfissures that existed from production. This should NOT have happened and a complaint has been filed about the manufacturer. Now we must check all our spare crystals to see if they contain the same fault. One sneaking through very nearly resulted in tragedy. If all the spares are likewise faulted, the QSD will not be operational until we can find a very rare natural occurring Benamite Crystal OR we can find an industrial production facility.

The Graviton Transfer Conduits are junk. The accidental feeding of anti-gravitons through the conduit roasted the system. They will have to be fully replaced. Luckily the QSD Central Control Matrix and the Slipstream Control Sensors remain intact, although we still check for hidden damage in the Graviton Particle Actuators.

This, at the moment and barring a breakthrough, will result in repairs measured in weeks, as many parts mentioned need to be painstakingly replicated and then assembled by hand.

Straaf Out.
Direwolf Straaf
Engineering - Lieutenant
Engineering - Lieutenant

The following was requested by Captain Drewski Northman as it may have bearing on our current mission. I hope it helps the ship and our Intelligence officers.

From The Book of the Great Alloy

A Religious Text of the Aeramanii People

The Low Metals

Excerpt from The Book of Tin

And so they came, their might obliterating those around and causing a great darkness to all. Calling the wriggler in the ground their God, saying it makes them mighty. Screaming names such as Sephathoon and Zeephu Aireth they screamed of old betrayals and vowed to make the great species pay.

Serving their wriggler in the ground, they let it’s devastation expand through constant devouring, feeding the destruction.

Fueled by the wriggling evil, they committed their grim genocide, world after world, species after species destroying planets totaling six and three hundred.

They sought eternal conquest, eternal life and the people of Steel and Copper and Silver readied with other species, some eternal enemies, to hold them back.

Excerpt from The Book of Pyrite

And so the great species, the Aeramanii, the Tilax, the Caetae and the Vydeeans worked together to stop the empire of their chosen King, Uryx the Devastator.

And during his coronation, these species shared ships though slow at flight and converged to bring the war to the wriggler worshipers, attempting to stop them at their source.

The battle great and terrible began. It was a war of base weapons and great technology. It was a time when the people of the Alloy stood with the peoples of the Flesh forging their great allegiance.

They fought the Uryx, chosen king.

They fought Sephathoon.

They fought Zeephu Aireth.

The trials were great and devastating. The world of the wriggler worshipers was cracked.

It seemed that all would fall before the wrigglers, when one great one, imbued by the Great Alloy itself, Fedha of Platinum, atop their golden farasi came screaming across the plane swinging their great sword. The Chosen of the Alloy. The Chosen of the Aeramanii. The Chosen of All, Fedha lept forward and killed Zeephu Aireth! And killed Sephathoon! And killed Uryx the chosen ruler!

And so Fedha advanced upon Ecca, the lord of the wrigglers of the deep, ready to cleve it in twain. It was at that point the rift in the universe opened, a hue of green, and the wrigglers went through… screaming vengence…. screaming of their return… screaming to make the great species pay for their insolence.

“You shall see!” they screamed, “The world is not built on the laws they love. Not on friendship, but on mutual interest. Not on peace, but on victory by any means. The universe is run by extinction, by extermination, by gamma-ray bursts burning up a thousand garden worlds, by howling singularities eating up infant suns. And if life is to live, if anything is to survive through the end of all things, it will live not by the smile but by the sword, not in a soft place but in a hard hell, not in the rotting bog of artificial paradise but in the cold hard self-verifying truth of that one ultimate arbiter, the only judge, the power that is its own metric and its own source—existence, at any cost. Strip away the lies and truces and delaying tactics they call 'civilization' and this is what remains, this beautiful shape. We shall one day return and you shall burn! All shall burn! All shall end!”

And it was terrible. And it was horrific. And it was the herald to the end of all and the start of nothing.

----------------------------
INTERPRETATIONS
----------------------------

Scholars on my world argue greatly and regularly about the meaning of these texts. The general mythology about the Wrigglers persists but could have various meanings and implications. This has given rise to several theories.

For the Faithful - The words are to be taken literally. The Wrigglers attacked, our diety the Great Alloy gave us the means to find others to fight against the Wrigglers and imbued an Aeramanii with Platinum carapace known as Fedha to do battle with them. Fedha defeated the greatest of the warriors of the Wrigglers but could not defeat them all before Ecca and the minions vanished in green fire. Ecca vowed to come back and bring Vengence.

Scholar Group One - There was a great war and we beat the Wrigglers somehow using limited space travel technology we were able to band together with other species of this part of space and beat them back, defeating the enemy. All mystical and other revelations became part of myth and legend.

Scholar Group Two - This is the second age of warp travel for ours and many other species. We were attacked by the Wrigglers and worked with other warp capable species at the time and lost the war... or if we won the victory was pyrrhic. The few left of each species pulled back and abandoned their warp technology to not be as apparent to the Wrigglers, hiding for millennia until the technology was forgotten and lost. In fact, there was great discussion and argument about our development of warp drives for this reason. There is no proof of this belief, however, that has been found yet.

Another possibility - It is all bunk and this is just a huge coincidence. The species we found is close to the Wrigglers, and so my mind immediately made the connection.

In fact, none of the three beliefs are conclusively proven.

Computer End Report.

Return to “USS Atlas - Crew Duty Logs”