Grid: Second Life

=======================================================

Intelligence Report

Stardate: 221003
Type: Regular Duty Log

======================================================

CMDR Ulrich Bechir, Intelligence Officer Reporting

=/\= LOG BEGINS =/\=

The Intelligence Departmen to USS Atlas has been busy from its inception, from dealing with updating the Namoadolian species information and aiding in uncovering background into their culture, as well as connecting artifacts found there with ones found on Pinastri.

More recently, we have encountered the Kazon-Edozuk, very far from home. This has served to confirm the suspicion that they are pressing out beyond the Hapke Cluster to find worlds away from other Kazon Sects, The Federation, and the Romulans. While the Edozuk are typically isolationist and will avoid a fight if possible, they are still Kazon. These ones are especially troubling because they SEEM to be in possession of technology that is roughly equal to our own, plus a few tricks. Again, the reports I’ve read suggest that they have turned to actual engineering and that many of the smaller Kazon tribes have started to pick up ‘specialties’ to make them more relevant to the typical marauding larger tribes. While their wholesale destruction may be preferable from a strictly cold and calculated tactical point of view, the truth remains that we are Starfleet and do not typically engage in wholesale genocide AND that as they are Kazon, the remaining fifteen tribes would come after USS Atlas, the Edozuk being isolationists or not. I have little doubt we will encounter them again.

I find USS Atlas an interesting ship. I spent five years as the Captain of a deep space exploratory mission and performed twenty-three first contact missions. It is fascinating to see those missions through another lens in Intelligence. Societal, technological, and governmental analysis are constants in this job and seems to integrate well with this vessel’s overall mission.

Having said that, Captain Northman has informed me that I will be needed two hours before my regular duty rotation as we get ready to survey a planet. My hope is that there are ruins or some other evidence of a society, I’m betting that if he has asked for someone from Intelligence to be there, there almost certainly will be.

=/\= REPORT ENDS =/\=
Ulrich Bechir
Intelligence - Commander
Intelligence - Commander
Duty Post: Intelligence
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas

Intelligence Report

Stardate: 221004

487.25 LY From Pinastri

CMDR Ulrich Bechir, Intelligence Officer Reporting

=/\= LOG BEGINS =/\=

An Away Team from USS Atlas beamed down to a small forest planet in the system. Our primary mission was to examine ruins to see if they conformed to previous patterns consistent with the Rajan society. Once that is complete, we were to do a standard planetary survey. As to be generally the case, a number of science department members beamed down and did not follow three critical Starfleet regulations:

Regulation 476.4 : It is specifically forbidden to transport unknown infectious agents onto a starship without establishing containment and eradication protocols.

Regulation 476.2: Away Teams must remain armed and ready to defend themselves until they are recalled to their starship duty station.

Regulation 476.7: Away Teams must take special care when investigating alien flora and fauna, not making physical contact with it until its full nature is understood and rendered inert and non-dangerous.

I believe, at least in part, the lack of adherence to these regulations resulted in the transporter accident that caused Doctor King's transformation into some kind of human/Vulcan/deer(?). While the mind of the 'deer creature' and it's running into the beam was a fluke, being suitably armed and more aware of surroundings could have kept this event from taking place. This fact was made even more present by the fact that the science members spent the rest of the time touching everything in sight before we were finally cleared to be returned before the onset of a devastating ion storm. Furthermore, some science team members wanted to put the rest of the Away Team at risk in the name of 'saving the Doctor' by staying on the planet in the wake of the storm.

While the accident was unfortunate, adherence to Starfleet protocols and procedures would at least somewhat alleviate the inherent danger in these missions. The investigation of alien worlds means that all things could be unfamiliar to us, no matter how familiar they seem. Beautiful plants could fire projectiles that are poisonous, touching grasses could create euphoria, breathing mushroom spores or touching foreign blood could make you into a Risan/Tree hybrid (although to be fair, a crewmember could be less trouble that way).

While the scientific nature of the ship and its mission have the upmost respect, at times safety protocols must trump scientific discovery lest we come back to Pinastri as a ship full of angry pinecones ready to spread our seed throughout Pinastri. It is carelessness in terms of following the aforementioned Regulations, that made the following one necessary:

Directive 26 - When an alien force, organism or people of demonstrated unfriendly intentions and unknown capabilities attempts to take control of a major Federation starship, prevention of such takeover assumes precedence over all else – including the well-being of any Federation citizen or group thereof."

My hope is to aid LTCMDR Thorgrimsson in ensuring that we never have to follow Directive 26.

=/\= REPORT ENDS =/\=
Ulrich Bechir
Intelligence - Commander
Intelligence - Commander
Duty Post: Intelligence
Ship/Station Posted: USS Atlas

Intelligence Report

Stardate: 221122

Location: Syllerran Section, Block 013HH, 473 LY from Pinastri

Cross Reference: viewtopic.php?p=214370#p214370

CAPT Ulrich Bechir, Intelligence Officer Reporting

=/\= LOG BEGINS =/\=

We continued this week in pursuit of our civilian chef, Te'ellis, chasing after what seems to be a maximum warp 8 freighter with limited weaponry and defensive systems. After some attempts to find the trail of the ship, working with sciences, we were able to fix on disturbed microparticles to follow. I am certain scientific duty logs will expand on this.

We continued after the ship in question, not realising we had traversed into Benthan space. The Benthan Guard soon hailed us and were able to provide important information to help us track the kidnappers of Te'ellis, who had apparently falsified entry and passage information to get past the Guard. At this point, the Guard decided that indeed a crime had occurred and proceeded after the kidnappers themselves.

The Intelligence Report on the Benthans can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=214370#p214370

The freighter we are currently chasing seems to have plasma leaking from their starboard nacelle, but is otherwise sound. Still, continued use of that ship at maximum warp could cause dangerous radiation leaks if the starboard nacelle is not repaired that could affect the entire habitable region of the ship.

Currently we are also in pursuit, as well as filling out the necessary paperwork for entry in Benthan space.

At any rate, we continue to work with the local authorities to hopefully retrieve Te'ellis.

=/\= REPORT ENDS =/\=

Return to “USS Atlas - Crew Duty Logs”