Science Duty Log

Moderator: Kermie Mistwallow

Saiomy Resident
Single Cell Lifeform
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Ensign Saiomy Legare, duty log for stardate 221130. Point one six. Four five.

Following the most recent orders from Vice Admiral Kermie Mistwallow, I am attempting to locate the source of the Vice Admiral's "shoe goo". A search for information on the local animal species was disappointing.
To remedy this lack of information, I have started a detailed observation of all wildlife in the areas surrounding the UFS Headquarters.
Without official names on record I have adopted my own naming method to distinguish the creatures I find from their look-alikes on other planets.
In this fashion, today's specimen is The Pinastri Possum.

=^=
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Specimen Name: Pinastri Possum || Official Name: Unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Observer Name: Ensign Saiomy Legare

Location Observed: Large rock forming part of the natural footpath below Comms building.

Number of Specimens Seen At Location: 1

Distinguishing Features:
Long snout.
Small rounded ears.
Whiskers along the sides of the snout.
Pink nose.
Small eyes, set on the side of its head. No Binocular Vision.
Head and snout have white fur, ears are gray.
Rest of the body is gray to gray-brown.
Fur on the legs is darker, almost black at the four feet.
Each foot has four pink toes.
Tail is long and mostly bare skin.
Main body is very oval in shape.

Behavior Notes:
No observed behavior.

Observer Notes:
Subject is extremely calm. This makes observation very easy, but behavior observations are limited. Possibly pretending to be deceased. This creature does not seem to be the source of the Vice Admiral's "shoe goo".
Saiomy Resident
Single Cell Lifeform
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Science Duty Log:
Stardate 221201
Ensign Saiomy Legare

A continuation of the Biology Report project. Today's specimen has been labeled "Pinastri Panda". An officer with the authority to officially name this species should do so quickly, as the reference label "panda" is not accurate even to the Earth species this specimen resembles. Also using a new format for these reports after the illogical nature of the spacing in my last duty log.

Specimen Name: Pinastri Panda
Official Name: Unknown

Location Observed: Area around the footpath immediately west of the wooden bridge's southern end.
Number of Specimens Seen At Location: 2

Distinguishing Features:
Reddish brown fur on back. Black fur underneath. Tail is ringed with reddish-brown and white fur. White fur extends from around the eyes down the cheeks. Short snout also has white fur, with a stripe of reddish brown marking the barrier between the white cheek and white snout. Nose is black. Snout has several long whiskers on either side, extending the width of the subject's head. Small Pointed ears have black fur. White stripe of fur runs from ear canal down the side of the head. Tail appears to be nearly as long as the rest of the body. Five toes on front and back paws. Claws are not fully retractable. Legs comfortably hold the subject as far off the ground as the body is tall.

Behavior Notes:
Prefer grassy areas and rocks, over trees.
No visual difference between the two subjects observed.
Vocalizations are quiet. "Mur.. MurrrMurrr"
Seem to vocalize to other subjects, and at observers.
Although together, they act independently.
Observed scratching at nearby rocks.
Will run if startled by observer movement.
Spend time digging through leaves under a tree.
Able to stand on hind legs, manipulate environment with fore legs.
Standard walking is quadrupedal, tail horizontal and slightly curved.
Tail lowers when not moving.
Running involves all four legs, tail curling upwards over the back and down again in time with the steps.

Observer Notes:
There are rumors of domesticated specimens living aboard SS Tranquility. I have yet to personally confirm.
It seems unlikely that these creatures are the cause of the Vice Admiral's "shoe goo".
Saiomy Resident
Single Cell Lifeform
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Science Duty Log:
Ensign Saiomy Legare
Stardate 221202

A... stimulating... duty shift. While progress on the biology reports continues, I may have found the answer to Vice Admiral Mistwallow's dilema. My report details my findings.

Specimen Name: Pinastri Paintwing
Official Name: Unknwon

Location Observed: Garden area outside the Admiral's Office.
Number of Specimens Seen At Location: 9 species - Multiple members of each.

Distinguishing Features:

While 9 different species of this specimen were observed, all had similar body structure.
Body is divided into 3 parts, Head, Thorax, Abdomen.
Two eyes, two antennae, and a curled up proboscis are located on the head.
Thorax and Abdomen are elongated into an overall "cigar" shape.
Two wings are located on the thorax and divided into forewings and hindwings, with different coloration for each species.

The following list distinguishes coloration for each of the nine distinct species observed:

False-Eye Paintwing - Predominantly red and orange wings. Forewings have black and yellow markings. Forewings have an 'eye' marking on each, white with red centers. Hindwings have similar markings with blue centers.

Black-Green Paintwing - Bright green wings with black wing veins in a scale pattern.

Blue Paintwing - Dark blue shifting into light blue along the length of the wings. Edges are black with red spots.

Multi-Colored Paintwing - Orange fading to purple along the length of the wings. Edges are yellow with white spots.

Citrus Paintwing - Pale yellow solid color wings, with two small red dots on the forewings.

Turquoise Paintwing - Namesake turquoise colored wings with red edges. Yellow spots on the edge of the forewings gradually darken to red by the hindwings.

Beige Paintwing - Very pale, almost white wings, with black markings. The wingtips are blue with orange spots.

Royal Paintwing - Orange wings with black wing veins. Wingtips have yellow spots.

Red Paintwing - Bright red wings with black spots. Larger spots have white centers. Hindwings have black wing veins.

Behavior Notes:
Subjects congregate near the fountain in the path leading to the Admiral's office. Some spend time around the water, while others spread out to the surrounding plant life.
Subjects are easily hindered, becoming stuck on any object they fly into.
Subjects will also settle on the ground and remain motionless if they don't find plant life.

Observer Notes:
Although brightly colored, the simple behavior of these creatures and their proximity to the Admiral's Office make them a prime candidate for the Vice Admiral's "shoe goo". Someone as busy as the Vice Admiral could easily step on one of the creatures as it lay still on the ground outside. As this report was strictly observational, I have no data on any internal workings of the Pinastri Paintwing. If further study reveals internal "goo" I would feel confident naming the Pinastri Paintwing as the cause.
Saiomy Resident
Single Cell Lifeform
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Science Duty Log:
Ensign Saiomy Legare
Stardate 221203

My documentation of the Pinastri wildlife continues with yet another example of convergent evolution.

Specimen Name: Pinastri Whale

Location Observed: Water almost directly under main Headquarters landing platform, slightly east in the deeper waters surrounding the central stone pillar.

Distinguishing Features:
Majority of the body is black. Underside is white, and white markings where the hips would be on a four legged specimen.
Tail is long and flattened into two distinct horizontal fins at the end. Each fin is distinguished by a crease indenting in towards the body. Underside of the tail is white.
Medial unpaired fin located on the midline of the back, or dorsal fin. Also black.
White 'V' shape marking behind the dorsal fin points backwards.
Front flippers are wider than the tail fins, and shaped like oar paddles.
Eyes are small and blue, located on the sides of the head in front of white oval patterns.
Has many cone shaped teeth visible when the specimen opens its mouth.
Hole on the top of the head allows breathing without fully surfacing.

Behavior Notes:
Specimen spins and splashes in the water.
Seems curious of being observed, even approaching.
Sprays mists of water and air out the breathing hole on top of its head.
Avoids shallow water.
Occasionally makes a high-pitched noise, reason unknown.

Observer Notes:
The underwater nature of this specimen requires specialized close observation equipment. Specifically, a dive suit.
Specimen's dentition and size suggest a previously unseen population of smaller aquatic creatures as its food source.
The chances of this specimen being responsible for anything left on anyone's shoes without being immediately obvious are so small as to be impractical to calculate.

Observer Notes(Personal):
This creature's size, combined with the act of rapidly approaching and showing its teeth, could be described as alarming.
Saiomy Resident
Single Cell Lifeform
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Science Duty Log:
Ensign Saiomy Legare
Stardate 221204

"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night, stays these officers from the swift completion of their appointed duty logs."
With appropriate footwear none of the conditions above would seem to be a major hinderance to the work I'm doing. With the exception of the Pinastri Whale, which may require some ice drilling to find now, the cold conditions have, in fact, made it easier to locate many of the species I hope to include in these reports.
One example being:

Specimen Name: Pinastri Bandit

Location Observed: Western end of the footpath below Club Latinum
Number of Specimens Seen At Location: 3

Distinguishing Features:
Outside of the tail, subjects are slightly teardrop shaped. The hind quarters are large, with the body narrowing towards the head end.
Five toes on each foot, The inside toe on the front feet being at least semi-opposable and held apart from the others.
Tail is over half as long as the body, closer to 75-80% of body length.
Fur color is dark brown on most of the body.
Tail has black rings of fur ( 7 rings counted on one subject )
Snout has white fur on the sides and underneath, with two white stripes leading up the top of the snout between the eyes.
Eyes are surrounded by black fur that stretches down each cheek.
Eyes are medium sized, and dark brown.
Ears are relatively short, less than half the height of the head.

Behavior Notes:
The three subjects spend most of their time in bushes. Seen crossing a foot path in order to search the plant growth on the other side.
If subjects find something interesting, they will "clean" it with their paws. Rubbing the object against each paw or the ground to inspect it.
Movement pace is fairly slow, with frequent stops to investigate the area.
Group of three does not appear to have any desire to rejoin each other. Each of the three wanders the area in their own patterns.
No observed reaction to being observed.

Observer Notes:
Appears to closely resemble an Earth Raccoon.
This species would seem to have the ability to create the kind of mess that might lead to "shoe goo". The cleaning and rubbing of potential food would certainly create a mess if done near the Vice Admiral's office. The probability of this being the cause is low, however. Their behavior suggests a near total lack of interest in sentient activities around them unlike their Earth counterparts.
Saiomy Resident
Single Cell Lifeform
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Science Duty Log:
Ensign Saiomy Legare
Stardate 221205

During my observations I have found a fascinating biological puzzle.
Two seemingly related species I have taken to calling the Pinastri Weasel and the Pinastri Ferret.
If I were to follow the methodology of my previous reports, I would simply describe both and give notes on their behavior and locations. The fact that I found something similar enough to Earth Ferrets to bear their name is something that puzzled me, however. The only non-domesticated species of Ferret on Earth is the Black Footed Ferret, a species so closely tied to the population of prairie dogs that even their fossilized remains are found within hunting distance of prairie dog fossils.[1]
On Earth, both ferrets and weasels are carnivores. They hunt small mammals, birds, and insects. The history of ferret domestication involves hunting rabbits, and the earliest mentions of them being kept by humans involves the same. The first written mention of a ferret-like animal on Earth was from Ancient Greece, aproximately 450 BC. A man named Strabo wrote of a rabbit overpopulation on the Balearic Islands, and a resulting famine. The islander's method of removing the rabbits was recorded as a "Libyan animal" released into the rabbit holes. Humans and dogs waiting at the other entrances to the warren either caught or killed the rabbits.[2]
Clearly the two species are deserving of a more in-depth study.
DNA comparison between the two would show their relationship to each other, if any.
Further behavioral observation will be required to answer the question; Why of the two species is the Pinastri Ferret found furthest away from the Pinastri Rabbits observed nearby?
If the ferrets of this planet were domesticated from other native species, then did they serve the same purpose as their Earth counterparts?
If the Pinastri Ferret is a natural evolution, is there a specialized dietary species behind that evolution as there is for the Black Footed Ferret of Earth?

[1] Contributors to Wikimedia projects. (2022, November 24). Black-footed ferret. Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-footed_ferret
[2] Delic, A. (2016, December 7). Ferret domestication history - How & when it all happened? Friendly Ferret. https://friendlyferret.com/ferret-domes ... n-history/

For now, I will log the reports of the two species together.

Specimen Name: Pinastri Ferret

Location Observed: North Eastern end of the wooden bridge, near the edge of the water. (currently ice)

Distinguishing Features:
Two different colorations observed.
Both subjects are vaguely tube shaped and covered in fur, with 4 legs and a tail.
Short rounded ears, short legs, 4 toes on each foot which is bare of fur.
large forward facing eyes.
Whiskers either side of a pointed snout, with a pink nose.
Overall fur color is brown.

Lighter subject has brown body and tail, brown back legs, fading to white at the head and neck.
Darker subject fades from dark brown to beige starting at the feet/tail and moving directly up the body towards the back. Top of the head and a stripe down the back are beige, tail is entirely dark brown like the lower half of the body.

Behavior Notes:
Subjects are very active. Run through short bushes and into "tunnels" under the ground. Will stand on hind legs and look around from higher vantage point.
Curious of their surroundings, including observers.
Running movement involves a "bent spring" curve of the back, to bring the rear legs forward and then straightening the back to push the front legs ahead. Tail moves to aid in balance for this motion.
Seem comfortable standing on four legs or two, however movement is always on four.

Observer Notes:
The shape of the body and orientation of the eyes suggests a subterranean predator. Their behavior of running underground supports this theory.
Subjects seem too curious to be responsible for any "shoe goo". They would almost certainly approach sentients and be spotted.

And the Pinastri Weasel:

Specimen Name: Pinastri Weasel

Location Observed: North side of the river, west of the wooden bridge but east of the outdoor dining bubble.

Distinguishing Features:
Similar overall body shape to the Pinastri Ferret.
Light brown, nearly orange fur.
Small forward facing brown eyes.
long body, short legs, rounded ears, black nose, white fur surrounding it.
Brown "mask" over eyes leading down towards nose on the top of the snout.
Tip of the tail is darker brown.
Four toes on each foot.

Behavior Notes:
Subject refuses to sit still no matter how non-threatening observer behaves.
Multiple attempts to attack the observer's feet.
Subject focuses a large portion of time on the nearby Pinastri Rabbit warren.
Remains on four feet, unlike previously observed Pinastri Ferrets.

Observer Notes:
Any sentient being who remains unaware of this creature's proximity long enough to step in any "goo" they create should report immediately to Sickbay, to find the cause of the numbness in their lower extremities. This species is highly aggressive, and has shown a willingness to bite through standard-issue uniform boots.
Saiomy Resident
Single Cell Lifeform
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Science Duty Log:
Ensign Saiomy Legare
Stardate 221206

Leaving the mystery of the Pinastri Ferret/Weasel alone for now, my next report comes from across the water.

Specimen Name: Pinastri Fox

Location Observed: Grassy clearing next to the footpath leading away from Comms building.

Distinguishing Features:
Predominantly Reddish Orange fur.
Other colors include black at the tips of the ears and on the four legs, white fur under the snout, up the whisker area to the nose, and along the underside of the body. White fur at the tip of the tail.
Tall ears stand straight up from the top of the head.
Snout is elongated and has whiskers on the sides near the (black) nose.
Eyes are large and orange, with (thin) oval pupils. Vision orientation is Binocular.
Tail has longer fur than the rest of the body, and tail length appears to be just under or equal to the length of the body without the neck and head.
Front legs have well developed scapulae extending above the average height of the spine.
Rear legs are more muscular that the front, concentrated in the thigh.
Four toes on each foot. No visible claws.

Behavior Notes:
Subjects prefer to rest in a sitting position, fore legs straight, back legs bent under them, tail wrapped around the feet. Have only observed the tail wrapped around the subject's left side.
Will hide in bushes and leaves with nothing but the head visible, if anything at all.
Attentive, searching the area with eyes and ears.
Prefers less dense areas, with long grass and shorter bushes to hide in.
Activity so far alternates between resting in the sitting position and running, with brief periods of standing between. There has been no observed "walking" pace.

Observer Notes:
Overall body structure suggests a small to medium sized predator. Large ears and eyes for finding prey, strong leg muscles for chasing and pouncing.
This is one of the larger land predators I have encountered despite its relatively small size.
Saiomy Resident
Single Cell Lifeform
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Science Duty Log:
Ensign Saiomy Legare
Stardate 221207

Rabbits were one of the most used experimental animals for biomedical research on Earth in the 20th century and into the 21st. With this in mind, I consider the following report of particular scientific interest.

Specimen Name: Pinastri Rabbit

Location Observed: North Side of the wooden bridge, near a large tree.

Distinguishing Features:
White fur with purple coloration on the back, cheeks, top of the head, and ears. Tips of the ears are white.
Fur is especially long for a creature of this size.
Long ears stick straight up from the head.
Small spherical tail.
White whiskers either side of a short snout and purple nose.
Eyes are large and vary in color from pale blue to purple.
Eyes have 4 white star shaped marks in a crescent pattern starting at the bottom of the eye and moving backwards to curve up the back of the eye.
Back legs are far larger than the front two.
Four toes on each foot.

Behavior Notes:
Movement is a hopping motion.
The back legs propel the subject forward onto the front legs, then the back legs are brought under the animal again.
Comfortable sitting up on the back legs to look around.
Relies more on hearing (large ears) and smell, than eyesight.
Subject's nose twitches constantly with every pause to investigate surroundings.
Calm enough to approach observer, despite obvious threat of Pinastri Weasel nearby.

Observer Notes:
These creatures are very likely prey for several other reported species in the area. If the mating habits are similar to Earth rabbits this would provide a large amount of potential prey, and may be sustaining the other local populations.
So far I have not observed this species in the garden area in front of the Admiral's Office, however if found there they could potentially be the source of "shoe goo". A large abundance of their preferred foods would provide ample opportunity for the production of several different goo-like substances.
Saiomy Resident
Single Cell Lifeform
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Science Duty Log:
Ensign Saiomy Legare
Stardate 221208

From land to water, then back to land again, and now finally my reports take to the air.

Specimen Name: Pinastri Swift

Location Observed: Circling above the large tree on the north side of the wooden bridge. Second location - Circling between Roddenberry Towers and Club Latinum.
Number of Specimens Seen At Location: 2 flocks, 20+ members each.

Distinguishing Features:
Feather colors include White, brown, and blue.
Tail and wingtips are white. Main wing color is brown, with blue on the trailing edge. Head is white. Beak is orange.
Two feet kept tucked against the body in flight.
Tail extends into two trailing lengths.

Behavior Notes:
Feet suggest the ability to stop flying, although none of the members of either flock have done so during observation.
Murmurations in each flock resemble interlocking figure-8 movements. Subjects appear to use the wing pause method of avoiding collisions over the tucked wing formation. Tighter murmurations may use both if the flock is presented with a threat more dangerous than simply being scanned from the ground.

Observer Notes:
"Murmurations" - complex and dynamic 3D-model-like structures in the sky formed by birds in flight as a flock.
Range of this species is currently unknown, however similar species on Earth have been known to travel extremely long distances depending on the current climate conditions and available food sources.
Bird anatomy and behavior makes "shoe goo" unlikely. Most forms of goo from a bird are likely to be found on the head or other areas where goo traveling down from the sky might strike.

Sentimental Notes:
This duty log marks the final fauna species I have observed in the immediate area surrounding Pinastri Headquarters.
Subsequent logs will focus on local plant life, with exceptions made for new species of animal life discovered during exploration and study.
While unprofessional, I have included this emotional conclusion to the log in order to mark the occasion.

Return to “Pinastri Colony - Crew Duty Logs”