Channels Open

Open Board for ideas and suggestions from the members directly to the CinC and DCUFS

Moderator: MilesPrower Dagger

MilesPrower Dagger
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy Commander, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: UFS HQ
Grid: Unknown

Hello Everyone!

As I have harassingly told everyone my largest goal is to ramp up group interactively and feedback, by that I mean I want the members to be more vocal and interactive with their opinions, ideas and thoughts on UFS, where is it going and what we need to do.

This board will be a central place for everyone to use, in case they can't think of a place to post, not sure if they should and such.

I am going to be posting thoughts and ideas here for you all to give feedback to and I want EVERYONE to do the same.

If you have some ideas you want the JCS to look at and consider, some thoughts to share the Channels are Open!

Miles
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

Oooh, I'll start!
  1. Can we fix the ufstarfleet.org website so it doesn't take 15-20 seconds to load? In this day and age, that's ancient behavior.
  2. Can we change the default forum text color to white? The gray text against a gray background is not easy to read sometimes. (this text is white and the list numbers here are the default gray)
  3. Can we take another look at the idea of changing United Federation Starfleet back to a nonprofit organization? Last time we checked, the answer was a flat NO, but now we have new leadership. It helps to be able to say "our group is not for profit" when people come to ask why we are using what they consider to be their intellectual property in our group.
Captain Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)

Service Jacket

Executive Officer, USS Durant
UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Evey45 Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

Thank you Admiral.
I'm not sure if what I will say is here or not but...
A board with the links to get weapons, suits, practical classes, etc would be terrific, so the newbies can find them very easy :)
And a notecard with all that will be required
Amcruising Resident
Operations - Ensign
Operations - Ensign
Duty Post: Operations
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri Headquarters
Grid: Second Life

Thank you, Sir,
Maybe an idea to think of ways that people like me, that do not have much time to spend in SL and therefore no time to RP as a full ships crew, can advance past Ensign? Maybe some menial daily tasks or minor admin positions?
Ensign Amanda Cruisier
Operations Officer
UFSA Mentor, Starfleet Academy
Keitha02 Resident
Sciences - Commander
Sciences - Commander
Duty Post: Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Sheppherd

ok I have some ideas but not sure if i should write them, as i fear there will be repercussions is this a safe place to post them
Kermie Mistwallow
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy CinC, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: Headquarters

Keitha02 Resident wrote:
ok I have some ideas but not sure if i should write them, as i fear there will be repercussions is this a safe place to post them
This is a safe place
Admiral
Deputy Commander in Chief
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Greetings Admiral. In response to your wish to have more feedback from members, I asked for staff, crew, and associates to provide me with the answers to some questions. I have summarized their comments and included some feedback from Mind Meld sessions at Astraios. In my view, there are tremendous positives about UFS, and that is confirmed by those of our members who stay with us and give their feedback. For those things that need adjusting, I don't think anyone expects that they would be accomplished immediately but members have provided thoughts and perspectives on what they see needs tweaking. I would like to thank all those members who spent the time to speak to me or write to me in answer to my two questions, which were: "What does UFS do right?" and "Where could UFS improve." And I'd like to add that there is a new vision being formed for UFS and the very fact people are being asked to voice ideas and participate in this way should be commended.

What is our vision? Who are we?
- to make a bond with multiple strands, like fellowship, creativity, playfulness. Some of us are creating environments. Others are writing stories and acting in them.
- develop abilities or skills that will have application in RL.
- satisfaction and success in virtual adds to your RL quality.
- we enjoy playing characters in a visual, virtual environment.

What are we doing right?
-it’s easy to join
-very organized and well administered

- UFS always has events going on to keep the members and guests entertained.
-activities and events are great
-there’s RP available for most timezones

- The P&A ceremonies are good. They let people see that good work is rewarded.
-I like that the promotion system depends on your input in UFS

- I like roleplaying with UFS

- I like seeing a CinC who is involved and asking ideas for improvement

-the Academy is well-organized. It’s a strong foundation for members. It’s fun learning.
-the Academy is the pearl of UFS

-I like that members are encouraged to work outside their ships

-I like that there is an impartial Inspector General

-CompOps - awesome work
-Discord - fantastic
-UFS Comms is professionally run
-UFS builders are awesome

Where could we improve?

Greeters -we need more Greeters at HQ

Promotions - the Membership Manual states: "When you participate within UFS in whatever capacity you choose, you will be promoted in due time....it is as simple as that." and "There are many hardworking members at all levels of UFS, but just because you only wish to work on your Starship or Space Station does not mean you will not have a chance to be promoted beyond O-6." But that’s not what happens in practice, if you don’t do “fleet work” you won’t get promoted past LTCmdr. Members who work hard anywhere in UFS deserve thanks, whether they do "fleet work" or not, don't they?

Manuals - some of the manuals and other documents conflict with each other, and some are out of date.

Academy -make sure that required classes can be found on Moodle or update program requirements
- don't have such a boring entrance exam
- some don't want to do Academy at all

New Members -people should start as cadets and have time to learn how UFS works.
-new members need to be better guided. A bunch of emails isn’t enough. UFS can feel clique-ish and make you feel excluded when you are new.

Leadership
- some JCs are highly visible and seen to be highly active, others not so much. Same for those who hold other top positions. Successes need to be communicated better.
-there should be some sort of term for top jobs like Joint Chiefs.
-we are not member focussed enough. We spend a lot of time and effort (for the right reasons) doing great stuff we think people should like and want, and keep flogging that horse even when it is apparent that it’s not really what people want.
-better project planning and more liaison between departmental initiatives is needed (for example, the new branch manuals recommend academy classes a branch member should take, but some recommend academy classes that are not available and do not include any of the newer, more appropriate classes)

Wiki-other than service jackets, the wiki is a jumble of outdated, contradictory or incomplete information.
-The UFS Wiki has a graphic at the upper left corner of each page that says "UF Starfleet Wikipedia." The word "Wikipedia" is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, and UFS is not part of that foundation. To keep us out of trouble, that graphic should be changed to read "UF Starfleet Wiki."

Awards-awards seem to be awarded inconsistently. If they are not seen to be fair and consistent, then they can act as a demotivator rather than a motivator. We should be very careful with this.

Job Vacancies – Some vacancies are advertised with a detailed job description and requirements, whilst others are just a vague sentence or two. This should be very easy to sort.

(I left this paragraph intact as I think it's a good start for some brainstorming)
Do we know who we are, and what we’re promoting?
A clearly defined and communicated strategy and action plan is required. Where are we going, and how are we going to get there? Why is our timeline 20+ years ahead of anything we have seen in Star Trek (except for 31st century Discovery) yet all our ships and tech is from 30 – 50 years prior? Are we looking to take advantage of this new surge in TV Star Trek? If so how? Does RL membership work? Are we looking to expand or consolidate? How do we streamline the massively onerous and admin heavy operational side of the group? Find out at the application stage why people are joining…SL RP? RL RP? Community? Group involvement? Free uniform? Education? Focus the group’s activity on what the customer wants.

=^=
MilesPrower Dagger
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral

Poison Toocool wrote:

Where could we improve?

We have had this program off and on since I started in UFS it tends to be the same issue. Get people, they start, getting enough people to cover the entire globe is an issue and then if traffic isn't high enough the enthusiasm dies off. TL:DR this isn't really UFS not trying it members losing interest in doing it (From my perspective, I can be wrong though)

[/quote]
Promotions - the Membership Manual states: "When you participate within UFS in whatever capacity you choose, you will be promoted in due time....it is as simple as that." and "There are many hardworking members at all levels of UFS, but just because you only wish to work on your Starship or Space Station does not mean you will not have a chance to be promoted beyond O-6." But that’s not what happens in practice, if you don’t do “fleet work” you won’t get promoted past LTCmdr. Members who work hard anywhere in UFS deserve thanks, whether they do "fleet work" or not, don't they?[/quote]

So this is a matter of perspective, you might not and probably won't get promoted on your TiG but there have been several people who have gotten promoted just off ship level work. Also I will harp on this forever and sorry for it but it all comes down to the recommendation, Rank is not an anniversary award it's earned through service to the group. I want everyone to put yourself in the mindset of someone who only knows what they are reading to decide if someone has earned something. If someone really thinks someone has earned a promotion shouldn't there be some effort put into the recommendation to me it makes me think they don't care so the person hasn't done anything to earn it.

NOW - That being said we have been working on Promotions and Awards for years, we are always looking for ways to make it better so I want feedback on the process and how it is perceived by the membership at large, so I want to know how to clear up the view of the program for people.

[/quote]
Manuals - some of the manuals and other documents conflict with each other, and some are out of date.[/quote]

True, the Membership Manual takes precedence over them all, however if there are some that are badly out of date please let us know as we might have missed an update we thought we did. After all only mortals.

[/quote]
Academy -make sure that required classes can be found on Moodle or update program requirements
- some don't want to do Academy at all[/quote]

AFAIK all required classes are on the moodle, if some are missing please let Academy know ASAP.
I mean.... if we can make a test less boring I am all for trying but most I have ever taken are boring.
No one is required to take the Academy by UFS (COs can require things for posts on their ships) The only thing someone needs to do it take the entrance exam. I suppose we could switch it from an exam to an click box that the member says they have read and are willing to agree to all UFS Rules and Regs.

[/quote]
New Members -people should start as cadets and have time to learn how UFS works.
-new members need to be better guided. A bunch of emails isn’t enough. UFS can feel clique-ish and make you feel excluded when you are new.[/quote]

Ummm, which part of UFS? All COs have their own style, each branch is different etc so they could be cadets forever. For those that were not here in the long back time, the 4 week academy wasn't for RP reasons it was for resource reasons. If someone does those 4 weeks they are probably going to stay, if not they won't. Having worked the Academy at that time and others can confirm, for every 10 that joined 1 or 2 graduated because they came, saw and left and didn't leave use having to deal with SJ's accounts and more.

That is very fair and I am thinking on ways to make it better, I would love any ideas people have to make the new members process better.

[/quote]
Leadership
- some JCs are highly visible and seen to be highly active, others not so much. Same for those who hold other top positions. Successes need to be communicated better.
-we are not member focussed enough. We spend a lot of time and effort (for the right reasons) doing great stuff we think people should like and want, and keep flogging that horse even when it is apparent that it’s not really what people want.
-better project planning and more liaison between departmental initiatives is needed (for example, the new branch manuals recommend academy classes a branch member should take, but some recommend academy classes that are not available and do not include any of the newer, more appropriate classes)[/quote]

Its why y'all see me on the forums and sometimes in SL more, I am trying to be more visible, but I also need people to be interactive back. As I have said before I am in this group for engagement and fun not to strut around and have a mesh uniform that isn't my fun.

Joint Chiefs is the title, I don't really understand can you explain please.

I agree, the issue is people need to speak up and help us learn what they want, it's why I have started threads and boards like this, I need to know what we need to focus more energy in. If people don't we have to just roll the dice and hope we get it right.

I would need to talk to whomever made the manual and see why classes that don't exist are being recommended.

[/quote]
Wiki-other than service jackets, the wiki is a jumble of outdated, contradictory or incomplete information.
-The UFS Wiki has a graphic at the upper left corner of each page that says "UF Starfleet Wikipedia." The word "Wikipedia" is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, and UFS is not part of that foundation. To keep us out of trouble, that graphic should be changed to read "UF Starfleet Wiki."[/quote]

Can you toss this to Eddie Poison? I don't know anything about this really.

[/quote]
Awards-awards seem to be awarded inconsistently. If they are not seen to be fair and consistent, then they can act as a demotivator rather than a motivator. We should be very careful with this.[/quote]

We go totally off recommendations. I can say except for the Admiral's Banquet there are not a large amount of awards recommended. Can you be a little more specific please.

[/quote]
Job Vacancies – Some vacancies are advertised with a detailed job description and requirements, whilst others are just a vague sentence or two. This should be very easy to sort.[/quote]

Agreed, I want to get vacancies worked on so people can see them more easily and apply better for them.

[/quote]
(I left this paragraph intact as I think it's a good start for some brainstorming)
A clearly defined and communicated strategy and action plan is required. Where are we going, and how are we going to get there? Why is our timeline 20+ years ahead of anything we have seen in Star Trek (except for 31st century Discovery) yet all our ships and tech is from 30 – 50 years prior? Are we looking to take advantage of this new surge in TV Star Trek? If so how? Does RL membership work? Are we looking to expand or consolidate? How do we streamline the massively onerous and admin heavy operational side of the group? Find out at the application stage why people are joining…SL RP? RL RP? Community? Group involvement? Free uniform? Education? Focus the group’s activity on what the customer wants.[/quote]

Good questions, it will take me time to answer all of this and at the moment I can't so Poison please remind me in about a week if I haven't replied that I need to.

=^=
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback, I hope to get more like this!

Miles
MilesPrower Dagger
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral

MilesPrower Dagger wrote:
Poison Toocool wrote:

Where could we improve?

We have had this program off and on since I started in UFS it tends to be the same issue. Get people, they start, getting enough people to cover the entire globe is an issue and then if traffic isn't high enough the enthusiasm dies off. TL:DR this isn't really UFS not trying it members losing interest in doing it (From my perspective, I can be wrong though)
Promotions - the Membership Manual states: "When you participate within UFS in whatever capacity you choose, you will be promoted in due time....it is as simple as that." and "There are many hardworking members at all levels of UFS, but just because you only wish to work on your Starship or Space Station does not mean you will not have a chance to be promoted beyond O-6." But that’s not what happens in practice, if you don’t do “fleet work” you won’t get promoted past LTCmdr. Members who work hard anywhere in UFS deserve thanks, whether they do "fleet work" or not, don't they?
So this is a matter of perspective, you might not and probably won't get promoted on your TiG but there have been several people who have gotten promoted just off ship level work. Also I will harp on this forever and sorry for it but it all comes down to the recommendation, Rank is not an anniversary award it's earned through service to the group. I want everyone to put yourself in the mindset of someone who only knows what they are reading to decide if someone has earned something. If someone really thinks someone has earned a promotion shouldn't there be some effort put into the recommendation to me it makes me think they don't care so the person hasn't done anything to earn it.

NOW - That being said we have been working on Promotions and Awards for years, we are always looking for ways to make it better so I want feedback on the process and how it is perceived by the membership at large, so I want to know how to clear up the view of the program for people.

Manuals - some of the manuals and other documents conflict with each other, and some are out of date.
True, the Membership Manual takes precedence over them all, however if there are some that are badly out of date please let us know as we might have missed an update we thought we did. After all only mortals.
- some don't want to do Academy at all
AFAIK all required classes are on the moodle, if some are missing please let Academy know ASAP.
I mean.... if we can make a test less boring I am all for trying but most I have ever taken are boring.
No one is required to take the Academy by UFS (COs can require things for posts on their ships) The only thing someone needs to do it take the entrance exam. I suppose we could switch it from an exam to an click box that the member says they have read and are willing to agree to all UFS Rules and Regs.
-new members need to be better guided. A bunch of emails isn’t enough. UFS can feel clique-ish and make you feel excluded when you are new.
Ummm, which part of UFS? All COs have their own style, each branch is different etc so they could be cadets forever. For those that were not here in the long back time, the 4 week academy wasn't for RP reasons it was for resource reasons. If someone does those 4 weeks they are probably going to stay, if not they won't. Having worked the Academy at that time and others can confirm, for every 10 that joined 1 or 2 graduated because they came, saw and left and didn't leave use having to deal with SJ's accounts and more.

That is very fair and I am thinking on ways to make it better, I would love any ideas people have to make the new members process better.

Leadership
-better project planning and more liaison between departmental initiatives is needed (for example, the new branch manuals recommend academy classes a branch member should take, but some recommend academy classes that are not available and do not include any of the newer, more appropriate classes)
Its why y'all see me on the forums and sometimes in SL more, I am trying to be more visible, but I also need people to be interactive back. As I have said before I am in this group for engagement and fun not to strut around and have a mesh uniform that isn't my fun.

Joint Chiefs is the title, I don't really understand can you explain please.

I agree, the issue is people need to speak up and help us learn what they want, it's why I have started threads and boards like this, I need to know what we need to focus more energy in. If people don't we have to just roll the dice and hope we get it right.

I would need to talk to whomever made the manual and see why classes that don't exist are being recommended.

-The UFS Wiki has a graphic at the upper left corner of each page that says "UF Starfleet Wikipedia." The word "Wikipedia" is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, and UFS is not part of that foundation. To keep us out of trouble, that graphic should be changed to read "UF Starfleet Wiki."
Can you toss this to Eddie Poison? I don't know anything about this really.

Awards-awards seem to be awarded inconsistently. If they are not seen to be fair and consistent, then they can act as a demotivator rather than a motivator. We should be very careful with this.
We go totally off recommendations. I can say except for the Admiral's Banquet there are not a large amount of awards recommended. Can you be a little more specific please.
Job Vacancies – Some vacancies are advertised with a detailed job description and requirements, whilst others are just a vague sentence or two. This should be very easy to sort.
Agreed, I want to get vacancies worked on so people can see them more easily and apply better for them.

A clearly defined and communicated strategy and action plan is required. Where are we going, and how are we going to get there? Why is our timeline 20+ years ahead of anything we have seen in Star Trek (except for 31st century Discovery) yet all our ships and tech is from 30 – 50 years prior? Are we looking to take advantage of this new surge in TV Star Trek? If so how? Does RL membership work? Are we looking to expand or consolidate? How do we streamline the massively onerous and admin heavy operational side of the group? Find out at the application stage why people are joining…SL RP? RL RP? Community? Group involvement? Free uniform? Education? Focus the group’s activity on what the customer wants.
Good questions, it will take me time to answer all of this and at the moment I can't so Poison please remind me in about a week if I haven't replied that I need to.

=^=
Thanks for the feedback, I hope to get more like this!

Miles
[/quote]
Bodan Resident
Security - Captain
Security - Captain
Duty Post: Chief Security Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri CC
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

I see some great feedback and ideas already. Change management is not easy, as one man's fruit is another man's poison but I think a clear strategy is critically important. You can't fix everything, and especially not all at once. My suggestion would be to define and communicate your overreaching vision and strategy for the group. This will provide a clear start and end point. Once that is done, select one or two areas to change/improve, get the right people involved in making those changes, and then share the success. Some of the suggestions made are quick fixes, some are bigger projects. Pick the low-hanging fruit first and get some quick wins.
Captain Bodan Landar
Starfleet Security
Denkiri Station
:flags-wavegreatbritain:
Eddie Hagoromo
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Joint Chief of CompOps
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri Headquarters

The wiki has now been updated to UF Starfleet LCARS to avoid copyright/trademark issues. This means the URL will also be reflected to become https://lcars.ufstarfleet.org

I agree the UFS Wiki is a mess but over the past few years we have recruited people, only to turn out they were sabotaging the wiki by causing destructive behaviour, which causes my team to repull from backup and start back at step 1. It is also why we have locked down the wiki to only a few trusted people who can sort the wiki out without any further sabotages and having to return from step 1.

The main site, yes it is slow due to the number of addons that are included to get the system running, we are looking to removing major portions of the system as they are left unused and also looking to create a reactive website. If you are a web developer and/or familiar in creating Bootstrap themes on Wordpress, reach out to the UF Starfleet Special Projects Department and create a POC for the director to review.
Alpha Company Graduate

Access Service Jacket
Greg Esharham
Engineering - Commander
Engineering - Commander
Duty Post: Director Star fleet Event
Ship/Station Posted: Chief Engineer Denkiri Center
Grid: Second Life/3rd Rock

I see some very good ideas here so I would like to add a few and others can consider if they are worthwhile or good.

1. Could we consider in world ( Earth time zone) based ships and stations Not just rp only ships actual ships. It would allow those who in some of the zones less populated with members to attend RP's at a time convenient to the ships crew. I'm just speaking from personal experiance but I am sure others would agree.

2. Bring back all the older fun classes that are currently languishing in limbo on the wiki but not available for members to take. All the UFS classes should be in the academy. Not just the foundation classes and a whole bunch of new classes.

3. Allow members who run their own land to offer it for use by the UFS for ship RP's and anything else needed in a similar manner to the fleet ships that are run from private sims not the HQ sim.

4. Improve personnel retention by msging those who have been inactive for 3 months and see if there is anything we can do to try an encourage them back to duty or find out if they need a LOA for what ever reason before we simply ditch them.

5. "New Members -people should start as cadets and have time to learn how UFS works.
-new members need to be better guided. A bunch of emails isn’t enough. UFS can feel clique-ish and make you feel excluded when you are new."

I agree here 100% when I joined the first 4 week as a cadet was the most fun time I had and I was very proud of graduating ( I still have that certificate on my wall above my computer ).

I remembering stealing a Bird of prey with some other class mates ( who without looking their direction shall remain nameless LOL) and it gave me a sense of belonging to a great group.

On a personal note I also agree the UFS can feel very clique-ish all the time.

6. And last I saw a comment about returning to " Not for profit " I always thought we were or did I miss the memo of a change ? I guess that is more of a question not a suggestion except if it did change then we need to return to NFP
Access Service Jacket

“There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen..” James A. Lovell US Astronaut, Gemini 7, Gemini 12, Apollo 8, Apollo 13
Luciano Skar-Machado
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore
Duty Post: UFS Chief of Staff
Ship/Station Posted: Starbase 755, SS Nimbus
Grid: Real Life, Alpha Quadrant

Greg Esharham wrote:
I see some very good ideas here so I would like to add a few and others can consider if they are worthwhile or good.

1. Could we consider in world ( Earth time zone) based ships and stations Not just rp only ships actual ships. It would allow those who in some of the zones less populated with members to attend RP's at a time convenient to the ships crew. I'm just speaking from personal experiance but I am sure others would agree.

2. Bring back all the older fun classes that are currently languishing in limbo on the wiki but not available for members to take. All the UFS classes should be in the academy. Not just the foundation classes and a whole bunch of new classes.

3. Allow members who run their own land to offer it for use by the UFS for ship RP's and anything else needed in a similar manner to the fleet ships that are run from private sims not the HQ sim.

4. Improve personnel retention by msging those who have been inactive for 3 months and see if there is anything we can do to try an encourage them back to duty or find out if they need a LOA for what ever reason before we simply ditch them.

5. "New Members -people should start as cadets and have time to learn how UFS works.
-new members need to be better guided. A bunch of emails isn’t enough. UFS can feel clique-ish and make you feel excluded when you are new."

I agree here 100% when I joined the first 4 week as a cadet was the most fun time I had and I was very proud of graduating ( I still have that certificate on my wall above my computer ).

I remembering stealing a Bird of prey with some other class mates ( who without looking their direction shall remain nameless LOL) and it gave me a sense of belonging to a great group.

On a personal note I also agree the UFS can feel very clique-ish all the time.

6. And last I saw a comment about returning to " Not for profit " I always thought we were or did I miss the memo of a change ? I guess that is more of a question not a suggestion except if it did change then we need to return to NFP
1. Any of the Ships of The Lines out there can do that if they wishes to. So it is up to the current ships/stations out there to do it if they wish, so contact the different ships and check if they would like to.

3. Anyone can share their land if they want to. Just let people know it is available. :D Though events are to be held at our main SIM

4. We already contact them every 30days from time Personnel gets informed they are AWOL, rarely anyone replies.

5. We (UFS Chief of Staff and UFS Academy) are currently working on this, but everyone starts as a cadet in UFS and takes the introductory class. :)
Last edited by Luciano Skar-Machado on 220623.2312, edited 1 time in total.
In Service,
Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado
UFS Chief of Staff
Commanding Officer - Starbase 755, SS Nimbus
chief.staff@ufstarfleet.org
Starbase 755 Discord Server
Access Service Jacket
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

Greg Esharham wrote:
The UFS Membership Manual used to have a statement about how UFS was a nonprofit entity incorporated in the State of New York, or words to that effect. When we asked about whether we should update our status, we were told "No, let it lapse." So we did. I agree with you that we should update our status.

I was the Treasurer of a club in Arizona that incorporated as a nonprofit organization (called "501(c)(3)" in tax parlance). The incorporation process was easy. I got to be the guy who sent in the annual reports. Under Arizona law (probably similar in most states), each corporation had to have a set of bylaws with certain statements in it, like what would happen to the treasury money if the corporation disbanded. Every year I would file an electronic report with the state showing the names and contact information of the officers, and answering yes/no questions about whether any of them had been convicted of certain felonies within the past 7 years, or whether we had filed for bankruptcy. Also, every year I had to file an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 990, "Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax." They wanted to know total income and expenses, and total assets and liabilities for the year. That was also very easy, since I had all of that information in my spreadsheet.

I would be happy to start figuring out how to get our nonprofit status back again, if that's what we want to do.
Captain Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)

Service Jacket

Executive Officer, USS Durant
UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greg Esharham
Engineering - Commander
Engineering - Commander
Duty Post: Director Star fleet Event
Ship/Station Posted: Chief Engineer Denkiri Center
Grid: Second Life/3rd Rock

1. Any of the Ships of The Lines out there can do that if they wishes to. So it is up to the current ships/stations out there to do it if they wish, so contact the different ships and check if they would like to.

While that is an excellent idea I would rather not make it difficult for current crew members to attend their RP by having existing ships simply change to fit my and people in my time zone needs. I will however ask and see if anyone is interested, thank you

Maybe its time for a central pacific timezone based ship of the line if there is enough interest.

3. Anyone can share their land if they want to. Just let people know it is available. :D

Excellent to know considering.

4. We already contact them every 30days from time Personnel gets informed they are AWOL, rarely anyone replies.

No disrespect intended I know Personnel work hard very hard with all they do, but I beg to differ. On two separate occasions, when I have taken a LOA for RL medical reasons, I informed personnel I would be away for x months ( this was back in 2015 and again in late 2017 ) only to come back to find myself removed from all my members groups the second time even my service jacket was removed.

I understand this is volunteer group and sometimes things get missed but I've had the same gmail and personal email for my entire service with the UFS and Ive never suspended my SL account. On return I checked for emails and SL msgs I found nothing on any bar a few that didn't go beyond a few weeks into my LOA and certainly none asking me if I still wanted to be a member. I did both times on returning get all my accesses back very quickly and I thanked them for that.

The only bad thing was not getting my classes back which I have managed to again complete all but 18 and my sims ( I know they are there Ive checked the archives and have all the details ) that is why I asked about the older classes being reinstated so I can do them and get them back.

Thank you for responding to my suggestions

In service Cmdr Greg Esharham
Access Service Jacket

“There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen..” James A. Lovell US Astronaut, Gemini 7, Gemini 12, Apollo 8, Apollo 13

Return to “Channels Open”