Gallery Opening log, Stardate 220610 (Jun 10/22)

The Denkiri Centre for Creativity was established on Astraios Prime in the early months of 2422 as a means of outreach to the scientists, philosophers, artists, engineers, and designers who dwell in the Gamma Quadrant. Its philosophy was inspired by the Terran author Gene Roddenberry, who had, in the 20th and 21st Century, envisioned a universe in which sentient life forms would gather to share knowledge, conduct research, and improve the quality of life for all. The Centre hosts brainstorming sessions, organizes an open lecture series, manages artistic exhibits, conducts tours, and works to enhance the immersive environment through building, scripting and developing knowledge of the sector and quadrant.
Meeting Times: Tue 1030 hrs & Fri 2200 hrs Pacific 2x/month
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Astro Balut

Moderators: Poison Toocool, Astro Balut

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

ACTIVITY: Gallery Opening
HELD: Stardate 220610, 8:00am 3RG/SLT
ATTENDANCE: 13

'OPTIMISM':

An exhibit of photographs by Selina Otsuka, at the Astraios Art Gallery, opened with a wonderful *live* performance by the versatile Rhia Morgan.

From the artist: “I want to express my feelings rather than illustrate them. It need not matter what the subject is, as long as I am able to bring forth my emotions in my art. As long as I can visually connect with you the audience, through these feelings for a nanosecond and let you partake in the optimism that I have towards this life; I’ll be a happier person knowing that I might have helped you to see the possibilities that await. And the curiosity and optimism to embrace it.”

Selina Otsuka is a metaverse artist, using photography as her main tool of expression. A member of United Federation Starfleet, she is frequently seen setting up shots at UFS Pinastri Colony (Second Life) and UFS Astraios Colony (3rd Rock Grid).

'Optimism 2022' will run from Fri June 10 to Sun Jul 3rd.

Slurl - hop://grid.3rdrockgrid.com:8002/Astraios%20Colony/411/722/22

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

From Selina Otsuka:

Thank you Rhia for the beautiful music. Thank you everyone for attending this small gathering. And thank you, VAdm Poison Toocool for the opportunity to share my work, my passion in Astraios Art Gallery. It is truly an honour.

I haven’t really given much thought of being an “artist” really, as I was only making pictures that make me happy. Images that make me wonder, how creative, how open and how open the residents of both Second Life and 3RG are. And the optimism that drives these curious minds to create.

I would like to seek your permission to share something that came about in my curation of the work that you will see.

1) We sometimes create without truly understanding why. There is a series that I started out, just revisiting an old passion. But upon completion, I realised that it brought about the closure of a deep resentment I had harboured for 12 years. For something that I did not do. Or could not do. I’ve finally let go. Nothing can change what has happened, but having let go, it allows me to embrace an open path with greater hope to what can be. I thank Alia Soulstar for being the catalyst.

I am reminded that there is a living, breathing person behind every avatar that we see next to us in the metaverse. Each wIth real hopes, desires and emotions. They may hide their RL issues that they face, yet they come into the metaverse and still deliver their best for us. And give us hope of better things to come.

I hope you will enjoy this show as much as I did, creating these images. Thank you again for being here and celebrating an optimistic future with us.

=^=

You can see some of Selina's work at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/194005550@N08

Return to “Denkiri Centre”