Zimri Zapatero
Operations - Captain
Operations - Captain
Duty Post: Vice Chief Engineer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Veracruz
Grid: Second Life

Computer, Begin Personal Log, Stardate 210323:

To my Parents,

I have begun my first day aboard the Magellan. It's a bit smaller than I had imagined but the crew seems to be settling in. I hope to settle in to my new position. Operations training for the past few months have been challenging to say the least. I had assumed Starfleet wanted a Chief Engineer aboard this vessel; I mean, it was what i was prepared for anyway. My instructor kept insisting I put down the hydrospanner to calibrate the sensors we were using for the communications exam. Old habits never die, i suppose...

My apologies for my incessant rambling, you know how i can be. I learned it from you both. I am still aware of your disapproving of my departure from Trill... again. I do pray that you understand that my desire isn't to stay locked up in a mosque to reflect upon things. Loving nature atoned through enlightenment is best appreciated among the stars, visiting new civilizations and landscapes.

I regret our final spat upon departure. It was never my intention to disappoint you. I honor my teachings by living through experiencing them rather than through Scrolls, Padds and Master R'loth constant research to prove Trill as the founding grounds of all civilization.

My heart aches each moment we fight, Mother. Don't let this mean goodbye. I could not bare it. Please understand.

Father, your smile is infectious, even while you drink all of our wine. While i do not share your taste for it, there is something about the way you are so carefree about it all that is inspiring. Do be careful on your walks home and for the love of the Goddess, do not drive mother crazy.

I always hold a place close to my thoughts for you two. I pray for your continued health. I hope the Cra'tavah harvest is bountiful this year. And for the last time, i will not marry Nal'Se, mother! Yes, she is attractive but her left eye moves when she giggles and it freaks me out.

I will keep my thoughts on the water so that it may never run dry. I will feel the winds upon my back so that it may never die. I shall see you again. Be well.

Computer, End log, Authorization Zapatero 4469.

*** Acknowledged ***
Zimri Zapatero
Operations - Captain
Operations - Captain

Computer, Begin Personal Log, Stardate 210329:

Just a few minutes ago, our ship flew thru various pockets of low level turbulence. While their isn't wind in space, the ship has been bumping around ever so slightly while the gravametric stabilizers readjust themselves to compensate. I find this to be a bit soothing. It reminds of a project I taught back on Trill to a young group of seven year olds. As a project, we were building a para sail contraption to fly around and over my home province.

One kid suggested that we rocket boost in the air and then jump off at its peak and float across the province. Quite frankly, this would be challenging even for a bunch of adults. Suffice to say, we did not go through with his idea.

Another child suggested compiling a program to run a pair of gravametric stabilizers, then drop a board to sit on and begin using various calibrations techniques to keep the contraption stabilized. Another fantastic idea... for a higher school student. I tell you, Vulcan children have some of the most ingenious ideas. However, the practical science and logic behind it would be quite overwhelming for the rest of the class so it was decided not to choose that idea.

The best idea, I thought was from the child in the back of the class, attempting to distance himself from the group. His heritage was unknown to me and many others but i could tell he was not Trill. This bit of knowledge made him a bit of a loner and under constant mocking from the other students. It kinda breaks your heart if you had one.

I decided to take a chance and offer this child an opportunity to suggest something. It was protested by nearing every child in the group but I insisted. His suggestion was to attach a camera to a Kite and walk around the province with it. Neither I nor any of the students knew what a kite was. However, with some quick research we were able to discover it as a flimsy device you attach to a string. Attaching a surveillance device to it would not be difficult at all either.

We decided to go with this idea, attaching a surveillance camera to a simple holographic interface for the children to watch on the ground. It worked without a hitch. Most importantly, the kids liked it and as a result, began to warm up to this kid in the back.

In conclusion, this story kind of reminds me of what to expect when something new happens. Every idea is important, even the one that goes against popular opinion.

Computer, end transmission, Alexander 5525

*** Acknowledged ***
Zimri Zapatero
Operations - Captain
Operations - Captain

Computer, Begin Personal Log, Stardate 210406

*** Acknowledged ***

I think i am one of the first Starfleet officers to get sick the day before a new voyage. Many years ago on my first tour with the USS Sheppard, I remember spending the previous two days in sickbay. It is a phenomenon that I have never been able to resolve. The doctor claims i am perfectly fine but states he can clearly see me in a heap of biological distress. As an Ensign the first time, the thought of this happening was hilarious. As a First Officer though, I find this to be highly irritating.

I couldn't believe my ears when the doctor claimed that "A bug was going around". I demanded to know why Starfleet HQ had an infestation of bugs and how we all were not informed. At a moment notice, I yanked the disinfectant bottle out of the medical officer's hand and began spraying the immediate area incessantly. I was not about to let a bug take the best of me. When HQ security was called down to simply monitor my behavior, I looked at the medical officer inquisitively. If HQ was infested, why is everyone so causal about it? The medical officer was then able to apologize profusely and say that this statement about a bug was something doctors used to describe sickness in the air, not an actual infestation of bugs.

Suffice to say, I was not amused by this. Perhaps i overreacted by approaching the Chief Director of HQ Medicine to file a complaint on the Ensign. I also don't feel that much inclined to retract it either. Probably the last red command officer he'll screw with, that's for sure.

Computer, End Transmission, Authorization Alexander 7120...

*** Acknowledged ***

Return to “USS Magellan Mess Hall”