Admiral’s Challenge October 2018

MilesPrower Dagger
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy Commander, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: UFS HQ
Grid: Unknown

What is your Favorite and Least Favorite Star Trek movie of the 'Prime" (1-10) Universe and Why? *I list prime because if I use JJ I have a feeling it will turn into a JJ v Prime debate :P*
MilesPrower Dagger
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy Commander, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: UFS HQ
Grid: Unknown

My favorite movie would be a tie between Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country. They both are very well written. For Khan I like the link to the series, the space battle was awesome overall a super solid Star Trek. For Undiscovered Country the plot was interesting, Chang was a great villain, Gorkon was a great hero, and the ending felt like a proper send off to the old crew.

My Least Favorite would be a tie between Final Frontier and The Motion Picture. Final Frontier's story was bad, the rocket boots and the 70 something decks of the Enterprise, the over all goofyness of it just was a turn off. TMP almost had no plot the main reason I would put it ahead of five is that the reveal of the new ship and the sound track were awesome. [*]
Rich Lombardia
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri HQ
Grid: Second Life

I have to say i agree with you complete on the most favorite being a tie between Wrath of Khan and undiscovered country.

Khan was a superb villian. Coming back after so much time has past was great. You see Kirk being a little rusy in the Command Chair and his crew and ship pay for it as the Reliant strikes first and hard.

Undiscovered Country is great because of so many factors. First, Klingons have always been my favorite adversary. Although the movie was about finally making peace.

General Kang quoting shakespear while firing upon the Enterprise and Excelsior was fantastic.

Least favorite.... Star Trek IV. I disliked the whole plot about travelling back in time to get a couple of whales to save the planet. There is never an explaination of what that probe is or why its looking for whale song. The only part i actually liked was Kirks trial at the end.

"Fear of failure is the greatest hurdle to achieving success." - Rich Lombardia

Access Service Jacket
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Awwww my favourite is the whale rescue!
Vice Admiral Poison Toocool | Command
-Joint Chief, UF Starfleet Communications
-CO, Denkiri Centre for Creativity
-UFS Honor Guard Commander

Delta Company Graduate 110104

UFS Service Jacket
3249Rowena
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: USS Thor

Cant really say I have a favourite. Each film, even the weakest, have their plus points and I doubt anyone will want me to do an impression of Barry Norman and post a review of all the films. I will however, fly the flag for The Search for Spock which I feel is one of those films that needs more love (like Millennium Actress) A strong feature film directorial debut from Leonard Nimoy. It combines effect scenes that still look awesome (the approach to Spacedock), with great character moments. Christopher Lloyd is a good villain whose only shortcoming is appearing directly after the legendary Ricardo Montalban. Some great moments with the crew, Uhura and Mr Adventure is gold ("I'm not going to do anything about it, but you're going to sit in the closet"), as is the little moment where Sulu, Chekov and Scotty all commit to following Kirk and Bones ("I'd be grateful Admiral, if you'd give the word" ) Bones trip to the bar ("Where's the logic in offering me a ride home you idiot!"), one of William Shatners greatest acting moments ("You Klingon bastards you killed..."), and of course, the fiery end of you-know-what ("my God, Bones, what have I done?") Still shocking over 30 years on.
Lizzy Gracemount
Medical - Commodore
Medical - Commodore
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri Headquarters

Mine has always been Voyager. It cracks me up...especially the "Too much LSD" and the "communing with the whales" hahaha :P
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” —Bob Marley

"Set course for Relay, Warp Factor 9!" ~ Kermie

“A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.” –Dr. Boyce, “The Menagerie,” (“The Cage”)

“Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.” – Mr. Spock, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer - USS Veracruz
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

For me, my personal favorite would be Wrath of Khan. I'm always a sucker for a good story that ties into a prior story, when it is done well, which this was. Second would be Voyage Home, just because it was fun. As to the above question regarding the probe, while the movie did not answer it, the novelization did. It came to earth to find out why contact was lost with the species (humpback whales) it had placed on earth long ago. It just took a while to get there, arriving centuries after the last humpback died. It even ended with George and Gracie talking to the probe, and promising to send "young songs" again.

For worst movie, I would choose Final frontier. Whether it was bad writing, bad directing, bad editing, or just a rushed project that killed William Shatner's original vision, it just came off as hacked together and forced. While the original Star Trek The Motion Picture had it's story problems, and overload of effects, it still rated higher than Star Trek V. Of course, maybe that is also because it was so amazing to see Star Trek come back that I am willing to overlook the flaws with the sense of nostalgia to how it felt to see it in the theater back in '79, especially the fly-by of Kirk and Scott first going to the "totally new Enterprise"
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

My most favorite movie is a tie between The Wrath of Khan and First Contact. They're both well written movies, both have memorable villains who aren't faceless huge machines, and neither one has much meaningless dialog. My least favorite movie is also a tie, between Insurrection and Nemesis, least favorite because they are least memorable. I couldn't tell you what the plot was about, other than one had a bad guy who was always getting skin grafts and the other one had a bad guy who was Picard's clone. Maybe I'll watch the least favorite ones again and see if they still keep the bottom spot.
Captain Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)

Service Jacket

Executive Officer, USS Durant
UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Reina Beaumont
Security - Commander
Security - Commander
Duty Post: Security Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Unknown

My favourite would have to be Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country, it was a beautiful farewell to the original series with it's message of how things must change and clinging onto the past can be harmful when people refuse to change and move forward.
The credits scene with the cast signing their signatures is always emotional.

My least favourite, hmm, I guess Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier. While the premise is really interesting the execution leaves a lot to be desired, it isn't a terrible movie but it could have been better.
Some parts of it I did like , like Kirk asking why God needs a starship.
"Never underestimate a woman who was trained to survive by whatever means" - Reina Beaumont

"The uniform says nothing of the actual person wearing it, the uniform is merely a uniform, the person is the one actually doing their job" - Reina Beaumont

SB: Director of the School of Beta Quadrant Cultures - SS Alexandria

Access Service Jacket
katherineAubrey Resident
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Medical - Lieutenant JG
Duty Post: Marine USS Peddy Thor
Ship/Station Posted: USS Peedy Thor
Grid: secondlife

I have to argree with the admirial the whale rescue in the star trek iv the voyage home is a favorite of mine,but also the search for spock and first contact where they break the prime directive so many times telling the guy about the statue,that they went to zephrin cochrane high school etc.

least favorite, Star trek vii generations

Return to “Admiral's Challenge”