MilesPrower Dagger
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy Commander, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: UFS HQ
Grid: Unknown

So I ended up starting these early, just a few things I want to highlight:
These are for FUN
These are to share our thoughts as Fans.
This is NOT about right or wrong, it's about personal opinions.
Agree to Disagree.

This is not a debate on who so right or wrong or what is best or worst everyone has different tastes and honestly different ages they joined the fandom so they have different views. Respect each other’s views and opinions.

I have a list of these I have been working on, I am starting with some simpler ones to gauge interest and have more complex ones waiting. I might post more than one a month if I get interest.

==============================

What is your favorite and least favorite Star Trek TV Series and why?
MilesPrower Dagger
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Deputy Commander, UF Starfleet
Ship/Station Posted: UFS HQ
Grid: Unknown

MilesPrower Dagger wrote:
This one is difficult for me to answer because they all have their ups and downs, there isn’t really one I don’t like in some way. My favourite would be Deep Space Nine by a narrow margin, I like the storytelling and character building it does and yes the war is fun for me to watch. However I think my favorite episodes are from Next Generation so it's a hard call.

Currently I would say Discovery is my least favorite but in fairness it has only had one season so it hasn't had as much of a change to build up for me, if not Discovery it would be Voyager. I love some of the episodes but it started off very rocky for me and some of the characters just seemed to be there to to fill screen time, but it got much better later series.

In the end I watch them all and enjoy them for different reasons!
Lizzy Gracemount
Medical - Commodore
Medical - Commodore
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri Headquarters
Grid: Second Life

This is a complicated question for me because I like them all in some way. My favorite in the series is Voyager...has always been. I loved Janeway. She was one of the strong women figures that I could look up to and a great character overall. Then came in 7 of 9 with her rough exterior but having this vulnerable, almost little girl quality inside where she had to learn to be human again...and in many ways she was the most human of the whole crew. I loved those two character the most and therefore, Voyager.

My least favorite is TOS tv series, but I loved the movies. Go figure. I didn't really like Motion Picture, since I would fall asleep about ten minutes into that movie. I don't think I have ever seen that movie completely in one setting. LOL I did have a crush on Spock when I was growing up but outside of some of the most funniest lines like "darn Jim, I'm a doctor, not a --- insert whatever here --- moments, this series is pretty much my least fav.

Now I want to binge watch Voyager again...Thanks! :P
“You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” —Bob Marley

"Set course for Relay, Warp Factor 9!" ~ Kermie

“A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.” –Dr. Boyce, “The Menagerie,” (“The Cage”)

“Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.” – Mr. Spock, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Archi Merlin
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Hmm. Great question. Since I was a young lad, I've enjoyed most of the Star Trek series. To really nail it down has taken me some thought. So here goes. My favorite Star Trek series is The Original Series. The reason is simple. It started it all. It gave us as viewers a glimpse into a future that wasn't entirely unfathomable. Sure, maybe the space travel might be out there, but a world with no war, poverty, or prejudice. Gene really was ahead of his time, here. While the series didn't last, the cult it spawned rivals both the Whovians and the Kiss Army. Then there's the cast. It was the right place and the right time for ALL of these people. William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelly, George Takei, James Doohan, Nichelle Nicols, Walter Koenig, and the many others were made famous. And the writing was spot on for most of the episodes of the run. And after it was cancelled, you could tell that Gene's dream started something. And it got better from there.

On the polar opposite side, my least favorite Star Trek series is Discovery. Now Discovery had a very rocky start. The writing was all over the place. The setting was another prequel, which has been over done, in my opinion. And to be completely frank, I believe it was a mistake having Michael's character be the lead. She is, honestly, the BLANDEST character in Star Trek history. Even Morn is more interesting. It's really too bad, because the premise isn't exactly terrible either. A human raised on Vulcan? That's interesting, and could have proved to be a great storytelling tool. And while the writing was there, I just couldn't get behind the acting behind it. All of that said, the show does get better (a little), but to me, has strayed SO far from Gene's dream show that I'm surprised it has the name Star Trek in it. Some say Deep Space Nine was dark, which it was. But this show I feel actually became too dark for it's audience. In any case, we'll see how the show changes with it's forthcoming 2nd season.
Ishan Broek
Security - Captain
Security - Captain
Duty Post: Security Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Unassigned
Grid: Real Life

Favourite – DS9 by a country mile. Why? - Characters and their development is what makes a great TV show, and I think we forget that when we view TNG through rose-tinted spectacles. It was a good show, but half the crew - Troi, LaForge, Crusher, and Riker - had no characterization past what you'd find with anyone in their generic role.

Hey, Crusher cares about people! Hey, Riker is a brash go-getter! Hey, Geordi is smart at engineering!

Their equivalents - Kira, O'Brien, and Bashir - on DS9 were actual in-depth characters that changed over the series. Even DS9's secondary characters were deeper than half of TNG's main cast. Look at Rom, or Nog, Dukat, Kai Winn, or Garak!

Whilst Discovery’s first season was a mixed bag, some excellent episodes, some not so excellent, on balance I think it is probably the best debut season of any Star Trek show, so my hopes are that as it becomes more comfortable with itself and builds on a great start, it might challenge DS9 for the crown.

As for my least favourite – Without doubt it is Voyager. Great premise but very poorly executed. Star Trek was getting tired by this point. Voyager suffered through poor writing, weak primary characters (Janeway excluded) and non-existant secondary characters.

Can anyone remember any significant plot twists?

Overuse of Holodeck episodes

Meh!
Since 070630
Rich Lombardia
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri HQ

I have fond memories of watching TNG with my late mother and TOS with my late grandmother. Picard is one of my favorite characters. I tend to favor the movies, 2 and beyond. I wasnt a fan of the motion picture either. This males my answers kind of biased lol. I liked DS9 and voyager. It took me a while to get i to DS9 but i warmed up to Sisko and crew. I really enjoyed Diecovery (ducks down as things are thrown at him). It does seem to be more of a prequel for the reboot movies with its technology but the Klingons have always been my favorite adversaries. I didnt really care much for Enterprise. But i disliked Star Strek the Animated Seies moat of all. You all forgot about that huh? Ok in short here is my ranking,

TNG, TOS, DS9, Discovery, Voyager, Enterprise, TAS

"Fear of failure is the greatest hurdle to achieving success." - Rich Lombardia

Access Service Jacket
3249Rowena
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: USS Thor

I grew up watching repeats of the original series on BBC 2 in the 1980's and then TNG and DS9. So those three will always have a soft spot in my heart. Can I choose one? arghh!!! the agony of choice. If push came to shove, it would have to be DS9. Such a rich tapestry of characters and a storyline that developed in a way that was rewarding. (Where's the Bluray????!!!!!)

My least favourite would have to be Voyager, simply because it felt to me that it could have been so much more. Instead it played it safe, as if after pushing the Trek envelope with DS9 the producers got cold feet. A shame as you had a great lead with Kate Mulgrew and Robert Picardo who is always worth a look. Plus that great theme by Jerry Goldsmith.

Oh, and didn't forget the Animated Series, fun, but to me, only remembered for the continuity announcer on BBC 2 before one showing "and now, Captain Kirk is feeling a little drawn.."
Kinney Randt
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer - USS Veracruz
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid:

I'm biased, but my favorite will always be the Original Series. It gave birth in this mere 79 episodes to all that now exists on the TV screen, movie screen, games, Second Life and so much more. It sparked the creativity of those who wrote TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and even DIS. With the shoestring budgets and limited ability for effects, they had to rely on story telling instead of flash, giving us characters to love and care about, which is why 50+ years later, we can still find TOS broadcast on TV somewhere. Of course, my view is also colored by the fact that growing up, TOS and then TAS, were the only options.

I would have originally said my least favorite Trek series was Enterprise. It started weak with stories such as an episode worrying over a sick beagle and an episode that was so obviously taken from "The Magnificent Seven" that I kept looking for Yule Brenner and Steve McQueen as I watched it. The writing got better after that, Though sometimes they steered too far off course, resulting in good sci-fi, but bad Star Trek. I suspect Gene would have flipped in his grave seeing Captain Archer stealing parts from another species to keep Enterprise flying, all for the greater good. Again, good sci-fi, not so good Star Trek. Enterprise did have some saving grace, overall the Xindi arc was good, and I loved how they tied in the disappearance of the original series Defiant.

But then Enterprise was replaced at the bottom of the ladder by Discovery. Unless season 2 gets real clever, creating a ship that came before Kirk and Spock that could travel faster than even the Enterprise E seems one hell of a stretch. One Black Alert on Voyager and poof, we're home.

In an effort to pull off "Look what they did!", each episode turned into "Why did they do that?" I mean, when did Harry Mudd become an outright murderer? Roger Carmel's version of Harry Mudd was a loveable scoundrel, not a total bastard. They could have told the same story without using Harry Mudd's name. As with Enterprise, it was good sci-fi, but not good Star Trek. Maybe it was good Battlestar Galactica? the "jump" certainly looked similar.

Clearly my age is showing in my trademarked "Randt Rant", Give me my old starship and none of this silly new stuff where flash takes over from story. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to get those kids off my lawn and then yell at some clouds.
knightspet resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post: Vice Chief of Security
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant

Well to be honest I didn't grow up on the older series of Star Trek. I don't know if the new ones count. But I like the Star Trek's with Chris Pine in them. I have watched all of them over and over again. They are my favorites. I guess because I am younger but I didn't grow up on the older ones. I see re runs on the television all the time. So I guess I would say my least favorite would be the older series of Star Trek.
Vice Chief Security Officer USS Taylorholic Durant
Associates Degree, Bachelor Degrees in Security and Science
Jorden Allen
Engineering - Fleet Captain
Engineering - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: Vice Branch Commander
Ship/Station Posted: UFS Corps of Engineers

Definitely, each show had there merits, and I will rewatch an episode from a particular series depending on which merits I want to see - certainly, each have had their own amazing stand alone stories.

On the whole, I'd have to go with DS9 as my favourite - it's the series that really brought the galaxy together for me, you had each major political power having a thorough, and well thought out role in the galaxy, we learned so much more about not just Bajor and Cardassia, but also how Earth, the Romulans, the Klingons, Ferengi, Trill, etc all had really in depth stories, cultures, and the story surrounding DS9 moved between them in a coherent and organic way. The universe changed as you were watching it, in ways that aren't so possible with the one+done approach of TOS and TNG, and not on the unrealistic scales of Voyager.

Next I would go for TNG, it has it's moments of stupidity, but overall, it's where quite of a lot of my personal basis on roleplaying on a ship, how starfleet is run, the technical aspects of starship engineering, as based, before getting into the Corps of Engineers books, technical manuals, and other less canonical sources.

I actually quite like Enterprise, and one of my favourite episodes of Trek, First Flight, is the reason why. It shows Earth figuring it out, it's first encounters with all of the races we would grow to see more of. Sure, there were lots of parts that weren't 'Trek', but this was Starfleet before it really knew what Starfleet was. These occasions where it did something questionable lay the groundwork for why we don't see it in the later series, when the Federation framework for Starfleet has actually been written, Archer almost certainly had a role in defining the rules on his experiences.

Voyager...is an interesting one for me. It's where I started, and thus holds some nostalgia. It introduced a lot of neat ideas, but then also by detaching itself from the alpha quadrant, it also forgot how to be part of a fleet, and lost any notion of limits. Single handedly solving the quadrants problems, making it's own runabouts, etc. Overall, it's pretty close to the bottom.

TOS I love for Nostalgia, and some nice ideas. Even a few nice speeches here and there, love the one about 'risk' and 'starships'.

TAS...bleh.

Discovery...I can't comment until there is more to comment on, but so far - its been finding its feet well, I would agree it's a good first season.
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

My favorite Star Trek series is TOS. I watched it on a black and white TV when Star Trek itself was new in the world. Also new, at least in the US market, was quality science fiction programming on prime time network TV. The special effects that might be considered cheesy and cheap by today's standards were thrilling and new in 1966. Even now, more than 50 years later, I still watch the beautiful remastered episodes through the eager eyes of that 14 year-old fan.

My least favorite Star Trek series is DS9. The dissatisfaction started with the announcement that the next Star Trek series would be set on a space station, not a starship exploring strange new worlds. There were many complaints about the setting, and fans started asking whether DS9 stole its concept from Babylon 5 (which was also kicked off in 1993), or vice versa. We know now that J. Michael Straczynski pitched the Babylon 5 concept to Paramount in 1989. Paramount declined to produce Babylon 5, but announced the new DS9 series two months after Warner Brothers announced Babylon 5. Hmm... DS9 needed help, so Michael Dorn and less boring opening music were added in season four to help boost ratings. I didn't like the idea of Star Trek being reimagined with so many "darker themes." Avery Brooks was the worst actor to portray a Commanding Officer in a Star Trek series. Here's evidence. And finally, DS9's debut coincided with the early years of the Internet, and spawned the horrible hate-critics who achieved notoriety by listing only the negative aspects of every episode. DS9 had some absolutely stunning and unforgettable episodes, and brought a lot of joy, just like all Star Trek does, but it's my least favorite Star Trek TV series.
Captain Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)

Service Jacket

Executive Officer, USS Durant
UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greg Esharham
Engineering - Commander
Engineering - Commander
Duty Post: Director Star fleet Event
Ship/Station Posted: Chief Engineer Denkiri Center
Grid: Second Life/3rd Rock

For me its always been STNG. TOS started my interest but I think I was only 7 or 8 when it was on the first time so adult tv then.

STNG came along t the right time for me. More about the technology, More about the characters other than just Kirk , Spock and McCoy, we got introduced to many different people and many different alien cultures. Then we have Picard who has to me always embodied the quintessential Star Fleet captain mixed with the old sea faring captains of 300 years ago.

I am sorry to say that enterprise is my east fav series but saying that I like Archer i think its just that it changes to many set parameters of what we already know from Federation History and Star Fleet. Good stories and not bad in its telling but it was to far outside the box

Discovery is my second least but as has been said further up , One season is not a good gauge I will give it longer to settle in before I make my mind up.

I an looking forward very much to the new Stewart lead entity as well as the 6 mini movies they are looking at again the jury will still be out until seen

LtCmdr Greg ESharham Director Star Fleet R&D
Access Service Jacket

“There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen..” James A. Lovell US Astronaut, Gemini 7, Gemini 12, Apollo 8, Apollo 13
WilliamH Greymoon
Medical - Commander
Medical - Commander
Duty Post: Executive Officer
Ship/Station Posted: U.S.S Monarch
Grid: Second Life Grid, Star Trek On

My favorite was and is the TOS.
Did see it for the first time , when i was 6 or 8 years. in color and only once a week, before I did go to bed.
Later I discover next generation But my favored of all is the Voyager series,

I did hear on a flight to Rome around 1990 from a women that come from the USA, that there was new star trek series, and call Voyager, it take 5 year to see the series of Voyager in europa.
Later I did buy the DVD Box of Voyager all of them.

But like also the Deep space 9

Sign Cmdr WilliamH Greymoon
Cmdr. WilliamH Greymoon
Executive Officer
U.S.S Monarch

Alpha Company Graduate 110104 Medical
Honor Guard
Co-Builder, 'Best in Theme' UFS Sci Fi Con Booth 2017

OCTS - 150601
COCTS - 150409
CGSD Primus - 160928
CGSD Secondus - 170905
Associates Degree: 171127

Access Service Jacket
David7 Bravin
Science - Commodore
Science - Commodore
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Starbase UFS Astraios
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Am I allowed to have two favourites - if I explain the reasons why?

My two favourites are The Original Series and The Next Generation.

As regards TOS, together with my wife, I started watching the series back in 1967 on British television - and we have continued watching Star Trek in all its reincarnations ever since. The main characters in TOS and their interactions with one another are classic.
As regards TNG, this managed to take TOS to the next level, by making everything seem more realistic and believable - particularly in respect of the ship's Captain.

I could go on about the various reasons for choosing TOS and TNG as my favourites, but time in short.

FCapt David7 Bravin.

Return to “Admiral's Challenge”