USS Thor RP 210902 (TF Gemini Finale Part 1) The High Cost of Mercy

Originally Named for Admiral Peedy Thor. The Sovereign Class ship is assigned to protect and serve United Federation Starfleet. With a dual assignment of both exploration and defence, The ship is available to serve a multitude of needs for the Federation.

USS Thor and it’s crew are on a ‘protect and serve’ mission in the deepest parts of the Delta Quadrant, championing the Federation’s philosophy and ideals under the motto ‘For Those That Came Before’

Roleplay Times: Thursdays at 1330 Pacific Time, Alternate Tuesdays at 1100 Pacific Time
Commanding Officer: Draco Dimanovic
Executive Officer: 3249Rowena Resident

Moderators: 3249Rowena, Draco Dimanovic

3249Rowena
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: XO
Ship/Station Posted: USS Thor
Grid: Second Life

=^= Mission Summary=^=

The Thor ventures forth on its mission of mercy, the crew well aware it might be futile and even result in their own deaths. Many colonies are calling for aid, afraid of the waring cubes that have appeared in their skies. Priority is given to civilians.

On course for their first colony, Chief Williams plans his strategy for when they arrive. It is highly likely they will need to deal with feuding Borg and Bech. He has also arranged, with approval from the XO, to destroy the Thor if circumstances require no other option by detonating all the torpedos in the main bay. Ensign Maxima is pouring over the databases, seeing if they may hold anything that could give them an edge. Lt Heath is keeping an eagle eye on the scanners when they detect someone approaching fast.

It’s a Borg Sphere on an intercept course. Ensign Chapman begins evasive manoeuvres, but they can’t shake their pursuer. In no time, it has caught up and begun its attack. The Thor is hit by a barrage of torpedoes aimed at its power systems. The shields hold, for the moment.

Further exchanges take their toll on both ships. Eventually, the Thor is are able to concentrate fire on what they believe is a vital section and the sphere comes to a halt. It begins to spin, its rotation getting faster and Williams cries out a warning just as the sound of something impacting the hull hard rings out through the ship.

“Intruder alert, Shuttlebay two, Intruder Alert”

Williams, Heath and Maxima go to investigate. Lodged in the shuttlebay is a capsule. Emerging from it is a Borg drone. They quickly engage the intruder. After a prolonged and gruelling firefight, the drone succumbs and drops to the deck. Dead. Before they can catch their breath, news of another breach comes to them. This time in the main lounge.

As they head to intercept the bridge falls into chaos as the XO and seven other crew members are enveloped in a red light and vanish….

The security team engages in another gruelling and protracted fight. Soon enough another drone lays dead on the deck. A haze of smoke drifts in the shattered lounge. A desperate crew member from the bridge makes contact and tells them of the disappearance of the other crew.
Arriving on the bridge, Williams quickly takes command and tries to restore order, whilst finding out what happened. As he does so, the intruder alert triggers again. This time on the science deck. Williams and Heath head to the turbolift to deal with the new intruders when something steps out. It’s the XO, now a Borg drone.

Coldly the drone tells them they will remain at their posts and continue their mission. Williams voices disagreement and prepares to execute the plan agreed with their lost XO to destroy the Thor. However, another of the assimilated bridge crew is already in the torpedo bay and the detonation signal fails.

The assimilated XO informs them of what is to come. They are to continue on their mercy mission, and to deliver all those they save into the waiting arms of the Collective.

“Resistance is Futile”

=^=Mission Participants=^=

XO - Captain Rowena Luna Vandread-Rose (3249Rowena)
Security Chief – Commander James Williams (Adomsisko)
Security Officer – Lt (Jg) Harry Heath

Intelligence Officer – Ensign Asteria Maxima

Helm Officer – Ensign Tina Chapman (hotblonde25 Resident)
Harryheath Resident
Security - Lieutenant JG
Security - Lieutenant JG
Duty Post: Security Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Thor
Grid: Second Life

=^= Vice Chief of Security's Duty Log =^=

Stardate: 210902.1600
Assignment: USS Thor NCC-122355

--------------

Having spent most of my time since my last log in the Sickbay, my arm was feeling back to normal. Hearing about the Bech's take over of the ship and CO made me quiver to the bone. I was glad to be lucky enough to have no implants that the Bech could take advantage of.

I made my way to the conference room where I met with the XO, Chief, Ensign Maxima and Ensign Chapman. The XO provided us with an update on the situation. It turned out that since our broadcast offering assistance, over 50 calls for help have been received with reports of cubes in their space. Unfortunately, communications with the rest of the Fleet and HQ were still disrupted, so we could not co-ordinate with UFS Command. We had to make the call ourselves as to whom we'll be helping.

We had three options at present: we could head to a system the Borg occupies, a system that the Bech occupies, or a system serving as their front line of battle between the two. After a few moments of deliberating, we made a unanimous decision to head to where the battle was. Our objective was to provide as much assistance as possible to the civilians in the line of fire from the two warring fronts.

The XO gave the order for Ensign Chapman to set a course for the Kitemoor Colony. We made our way to the Bridge and took our positions. The Chief would be devising the Tactical response, I would be monitoring the sensors to ensure we had no surprises, and Ensign Maxima would monitor the communications channels and provide any Tactical information she could find.

The XO asked the Chief to stay behind a moment for a discussion.

On the Bridge, Ensign Chapman had finished plotting our course to the Kitemoor Colony and was standing by to engage warp.

I asked Ensign Maxima to provide me with any Tactical information she could find on the Spheres and Cubes. Anything that would give us an edge, should it come to a fight.

After the XO and Chief returned, the XO gave Ensign Chapman the order to engage the warp drive. We were 30 minutes out.

I set all long and short range sensors to complete a continuous sweep for anything hostile. The Chief came up with an idea to use our knowledge about Borg vessels to do a "Williams' Special" to transport a rigged torpedo directly into a weak point in the vessel's structure. It would be reserved for if we should need it.

The Chief gave us the order to arm ourselves, so I retrieved the Type II phaser lodged in its secure holster under the TAC II console. After arming myself, my console was indicating that we were being tailed by a Borg Sphere that had matched our warp speed and heading. It was directly to our aft.

The XO ordered Ensign Chapman to increase speed to warp factor 7. I monitored the Sphere's response to our increase in speed and to no surprise it increased its speed to warp factor 7.5 - they were gaining on us.

The XO ordered battle stations and Ensign Chapman to take us out of warp. The Ensign dropped us out and continued at full impulse. The Chief diverted power to shields and raised them.

Taking control of weapons, I armed a full spread of photon torpedoes and stood by with phasers. As anticipated, the Sphere dropped to impulse and began a chase. Once in range, it targeted our nacelles and engineering hull, firing off multiple phaser bursts.

The XO gave the clear to fire at will, and I engaged the firing sequence. The first spread of torpedoes made impact with the Sphere's shields, accompanied by our fully charged phasers. I immediately programmed the next attack.

The Chief reported our shields were holding at 90%, but they continued to target all firepower on our Engineering hull.

Ensign Chapman followed her orders to activate evasive manoeuvres and bring us about to face the Sphere. I charged all forward phasers and torpedoes to fire once in range. I managed to focus the fire on the Sphere and repeatedly hit the same spot. The Chief was scanning the Sphere for a weak spot. We were holding at 71% shields, but started to detect stress fractures in the hull of the Engineering deck. Ensign Maxima warned that they were targetting our warp core.

I suggested Ensign Chapman perform evasive manoeuvre Omega-4, and she enacted the manoeuvre. We peeled off the starboard side and came up beneath the Sphere, I was able to get a few damaging rounds of fire to their unprotected side. I continued to liaise with Helm to co-ordinate our attack patterns. The Chief identified a weak spot, and we continued to concentrate fire there. It buckled and began to spin out, seemingly disabled.

Unfortunately, we could not slow in time and collided with the Sphere, scratching a large part of our hull. We heard a screeching sound of metal echo through the Bridge. That's when the intruder alert sounded. My eyes darted to meet the Chief's, and we knew what had to be done.

The XO gave us permission to go and meet our guests with extreme prejudice. The Chief, Ensign Maxima and I headed down to the Shuttle bay where a pod had landed.

As we approached, we saw a single Borg Drone inside. Just like when we were on the Borg Cube, it activated as we neared its perimeter. Suddenly, after a few moments, the Drone stepped out and began to advance on us.

We moved in a triangular formation, attempting to take the Drone down. After a few minutes of fire and us actively avoiding physical proximity, we managed to down the Drone.

It wasn't over there, we heard another report of Borg in the Crew Lounge. The Chief and I made our way there as quickly as we could.

Another single Drone greeted us with hostility as we entered the lounge. We employed the same tactics as previously. Taunting the Drone to approach and then moving away for it to follow the other, as we continuously fired upon it. By the end, we were out of breath, but the Drone was down.

As we caught our breath, the Chief was hailed from the Bridge. They informed us of an incident that required our attention. A number of crew, including the XO had been taken by the Borg. We made our way back to the Bridge with haste.

Once we arrived, we asked for a more detailed report of what happened. But at the same time, another alert went off indicating Borg in the Science Lab. We made our way to the Turbolift, but when the doors opened, there was a Borg Drone waiting for us... it was the XO.

Shocked. Angry. Frustrated. We were all of those things at once. The XO stood before us, but only a small resemblance of her previous self was present. It ordered us to remain at our posts. It was adamant on us continuing our mission to rescue the civilians in the system.

The Chief ordered the computer to arm all torpedoes onboard the Thor for detonation. The Computer complied, and the Chief was the only thing standing between us and complete destruction of the Thor. The Computer indicated an intruder alert for the torpedo bay. When the image was brought up on the viewscreen, the Chief could see a misshapen humanoid in a Starfleet uniform inside the room. The XO-Borg Drone told the Chief to detonate. As if it were a taunt. He did...

But nothing happened. I open my eyes to see us still standing there, the Thor intact. The XO-Borg Drone told us that once the Borg had assimilated her, it had access to all knowledge of the back-up plan. The Borg had been one step ahead of the Chief.

The Chief demanded to know why they wanted us to continue on our rescue mission. We could have guessed at their answer. They wanted us to collect all the civilians that were in need of help, under the trustful guise of Starfleet, so that they could assimilate them. We refused, but they just said, "resistance is futile."

=^= End Log =^=
Lt. JG. Harry Heath
Security Officer - Vice Chief
USS Thor NCC-122355

Chief of Staff to the Chief of UF Starfleet Communications

Service Jacket

Return to “USS Thor”