History Of the USS Sheppard: The Early Missions (2385)

Classes in which development is complete & classes are in production.

Moderators: Silvio Rosca, Susie657 Resident

Teresa Firelight

This class was previously approved and split into two courses. When the first one got finished, the thread was moved to completed courses. So I am copying the relevant parts back here to track the second one, which will be Sheppard missions of 2385.

=====================================================

Proposed Class Name: History of the USS Sheppard
College: College Of History
School: School of Starship History
Author(s): Teresa Firelight

ALL Authors Must have had the UFSA Class Author's Guide Course.
If you need the course see the Dean or the Director of Curriculum Development.

College Dean consulted? [ x ] Yes
[ ] No

Branch Commander consulted? [ ] Yes
[ x ] No
(we don't have a branch commander for history. The Dean of the College of History said to submit the class proposal without consulting a Branch Commander)

Class Synopsis/Outline:

This will hopefully be the first in a series of classes giving a history of the active UFS Starships. This class will focus on the USS Sheppard. It will give high level story line of it's missions (and how they fit together), drawing data from their archives and active mission logs, as well as from interviews with some of the crew. The class will most likely have four sections:

1.brief description of the ship class (intrepid), crew complement, etc.

2.brief bios on the senior officers (Captain Mulgrave Dwi, XO Pedlar Blaisdale, Chief Of Engineering Generaal Joubert (transferred to Aviator), Chief of Operations Pema Nakamura, Chief of Science Kaelin Odriscoll. 1st Chief of Security Otheno Floresby, Replacement Chief Of Security Jess Hamelin)

3.short section to give an idea of what life is like on this ship for the 'average crew member'

4.the history and storyline of the ship's missions, starting from the time she is launched into active service (April 2, 2385) and continuing for roughly the first 6+ months (through October of 2385.).

This will be a type of “living history” of the UFS from the perspective of the USS Sheppard. I suspect there may be enough information here to become a two part class, but I would need to do the research and begin writing before I could say that for sure.

I would recommend that we (at some point) develop a similar type of living history class for our other active starships, such as the USS Shogun, the USS Aviator, etc.

=======================
Status update:

This course will become two classs. The first will cover the history up until the launch in April 2385 (and yes there is a lot of history for the Sheppard before the official launch). The second class will cover Parts 1 and 2 of the Midgar exploration (part 1 with the encounter with the Nabraithans and part 2 with the attempted recovery of the USS Denmark).

As of today (101110) the initial draft of the first class is written and has been submitted to Captain Mulgrave Dwi for review. I have not yet started on the draft for the 2nd class.
Cheryl Skinstad
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: Executive Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Baker
Grid: 001 Second Life

Concept approved. I read this and it is great.
Teresa Firelight

Quick question. Since the concept was approved some time ago, any reason this course has not been moved from requested courses to the approved courses forum?
Natalya Karu

Most certainly a simple oversight.
Cheryl Skinstad
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: Executive Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Baker
Grid: 001 Second Life

Sorry I ran out of time to do it before setting off to RL work
Teresa Firelight

Here is an update. The Sheppard has completed all of the missions in her first story arc. I am actively working on writing the history class to cover the entirety of the first arc, which cover the time period of about a year. I am currently somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through this, and am actively working on it. If all goes well, I hope to have the class completed by the end of the week and submitted to the Sheppard's Captain (Mulgrave Dwi) for her review and approval. Naturally, on a course like this, I will not submit it to curdev until the Captain has approved it.

I am not sure how long this is going to be. If it is too long for 1 class, I may need to split it into Part 1 and Part 2. But anyhow, I hope to have this class ready to go in the not too distant future. Also, I would like to salute Cmdr Dwil for a very interesting, creative and believable story arc.

Also, given the nature of the mission, I am thinking of rename the class to "History Of The USS Sheppard: Quest For The Denmark" or "HIstory Of The USS Sheppard: In Search Of The Denmark" or something like that.
Hidalgo Dorchester

sounds good. One little thing: Go with a short name for the class. I noticed with my "Surviving the Cut! Intro to EOD" that that is already way too long to fit anything else in the folder name when taught or have the cadets fill in their name in the note card as well without major cutdown on the title :)
Urul Yven

College Dean consulted (yes).

Aehm? I can't remember the part wherei was asked. Or was this before my time?

in service
Hidalgo Dorchester

Way before your time Urul :)
Urul Yven

Oh,allright then. That's why there's a special row in the deans msr where someone (in this case the former dean of history) should introduce special events,so that the following dean is not forced to write senseless posts.;)

in service
Teresa Firelight

Maddox Underwood was Dean Of History at the time. He approved the History of the Sheppard classes and the History of the Shogun ones. They have been in the system for a long time.

Also there is not "branch head" for history. But the captains of the respective ships were approached (Mulgrave Dwi For USS Sheppard and Ulrich Bechir for USS Shogun) and they have given their permission for these classes.
Urul Yven

Urul Yven wrote:Oh,allright then. That's why there's a special row in the deans msr where someone (in this case the former dean of history) should introduce special events,so that the following dean is not forced to write senseless posts.;)

in service
Yep.
Teresa Firelight

The classes are written, approved the Sheppard command as historically accurate, and turned into curriculum development.

In the end this became two classes. There is already a history class on the USS Sheppard titled "USS Sheppard: Inception to Launch". This two classes are parts 2 and 3 in a series on USS Shepaprd history. Here is a very brief synopsis of them:

Filename: Sheppard History 2
Official Name: USS Sheppard 2: Search for the Denmark
Description - details the Sheppard's first (of 3) missions to the Midgar sector, where she encountered the Nabraithains, found many clues about the Denmark falling into Nabraithian hands, was thrust briefly into a parallel universe and returned home to assist in defending Pinastri from attack.

Filename: Sheppard History 3
Official Name: USS Sheppard 3: Nabraithian Threat
Desciption: Details the Sheppard's second mission to the Midgar sector, where she recovered the USS Denmark ship (but not the crew) and faced overwhelming odds in battle against a joint Mercenary and Nabraithian fleet. Also details her third mission to the Midgar sector, where she attempts to rescue the crew of the USS Denmark.

These two classes cover the time period from April of 2385 until April of 2386
MilesPrower Dagger
Operations - Admiral
Operations - Admiral
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted: UFS HQ
Grid: Unknown

Teresa Firelight wrote: Filename: Sheppard History 2
Official Name: USS Sheppard 2: Search for the Denmark
Description - details the Sheppard's first (of 3) missions to the Midgar sector, where she encountered the Nabraithains, found many clues about the Denmark falling into Nabraithian hands, was thrust briefly into a parallel universe and returned home to assist in defending Pinastri from attack.
Processed and Completed
http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... he_Denmark
MilesPrower Dagger
Operations - Admiral
Operations - Admiral
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted: UFS HQ
Grid: Unknown

Teresa Firelight wrote: Filename: Sheppard History 3
Official Name: USS Sheppard 3: Nabraithian Threat
Desciption: Details the Sheppard's second mission to the Midgar sector, where she recovered the USS Denmark ship (but not the crew) and faced overwhelming odds in battle against a joint Mercenary and Nabraithian fleet. Also details her third mission to the Midgar sector, where she attempts to rescue the crew of the USS Denmark.
Class Processed and Complete
http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... ian_Threat

Return to “Completed Classes”