Call Signs

ScreaminEagles Turbo

i have a basic idea of how we could do it i'llbe making the notecard and sending it to the bh and vbh soonas well as the division co and xo
Slarus Rajal

After reviewing a few ideas for personal call signs, he is the policy we will use for pilots to get call signs.

1. The pilot may come up with a  call sign for themselves
2. The pilot lets thier Squadron leader know the call sign, who then approves or denies. They may do this democratically or sign off and send it up the chain of command.

If denied then goto step one.

If approved.

3. Squadron leader submits the call sign to the Wing Commander for approval ot denial.

If approved.

4. The Wing Commander submits the call sign to the Commander Air Group for approval ot denial.

If approved.

4. The Commander Air Group submits the call sign to the Vice Flight Marshal for approval ot denial.

If approved.

4. The Vice Chief Flight Marshal submits the call sign to the Chief Flight Marshal for approval ot denial.

If approved the the pilot will be authorized to ues the call sign.

I went into this detail to show the chain of command needs to be used in this and all cases from now on if a position is not filled goto the next step up in the chain, So get the call signs in.

And thank you too the officers who submitted ideas on how to do this, your work was invaluable.
Last edited by Slarus Rajal on 090526.1153, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Christiansen

This information will be added to the SFC Wiki pages shortly.
Wisdom Davi

I am in agreement with CylonXD Slade, the pilot should have the option to choose his or her call sign.
Drunk Radikal

a pilot choosing their own callsign would be actually be contradictory to tradition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviator_call_sign
Aviator call signs nearly always must come from a member of the aviator's squadron, training class, or other coworker. It is considered bad form to try to give oneself a callsign. It is common for aviators to be given a fairly derogatory callsign, and the more they complain about it, the more likely it is to stick. Some stick with the aviator forever, while in other cases an aviator might have a series of call signs throughout his or her career.
I propose I should choose all call signs for all pilots hence-foreward ;)
Drunk Radikal

Here is a list of potential call-signs

((just whatever I thought was funny atm))

Washing Machine
Puke bag
Bag 'o bolts
Little britches
Yo Mama
Ab Fab
That's my bush
Carebear

((feel free to add new call signs for the pilots of the sfc, please don't let them choose their own or we'll never have anything to laugh at.))
Slarus Rajal

I am well aware of the tradition in the real life military, but we are in essense a fan club so I did not see an issue with picking your own call sign so long as it is not offensive, or inappropriate. I just simply don't see the need to follow this tradition this closely.
Drunk Radikal

Slarus Rajal wrote: I am well aware of the tradition in the real life military, but we are in essense a fan club so I did not see an issue with picking your own call sign so long as it is not offensive, or inappropriate. I just simply don't see the need to follow this tradition this closely.
well, just a friendly aside, it would be awesomely fun to choose the call signs for sfc pilots.  I think you would make an excellent Carebear.
Slarus Rajal

Thanks for the input, my call sign is Chameleon being a shape changer.
Sarah89 Edenbaum

There is a list of call signs that can be added too and the pilot choose which one s/he likes or can ask for a specific one if not already taken (with approval)

This way the commanders can come up with 'realistic' call signs and the pilots can have one that they like.
Selina Otsuka

Here is a list of Fighter Pilot Callsigns I found. Each of the Callsigns comes with the story behind it. Some are quite amusing. No offense to my previous squadron leader, but check out "Viper".  ;D

http://www.f-16.net/callsigns.html

Enjoy!
Katina Knotler

One of my teachers in college was a Marine helicopter pilot. His callsign was Tank. Not because he was a big guy (he wasn't), but because he got REALLY drunk at a party. XD

I've already got a few names in mind for when I earn my Combat Wings... but I'll definitely check that list out too :)
tomis MacMoragh

if I may throw in two cents. Here dont let the nuggets (new pilots) pick there call signs make it part of the new pilots right of passage. It gives the call sign more meaning.  I still rember mine form a bsg group never will friget it.  It was my training officers wife whom gave it to me "Tomcat"  It seems to fit, As I tended to be an agressave pilot.  I also rember exporting the chaircter to a table top rpg. In which we incoutered a Race of humond cats. After the Ftl Drive cent us to another demtion.  There ward for tomcat ment "maker if illagentament children" so I am running around with that one the back of my jacket  :D

Return to “Marines Archives”