Mission "Mako?"

Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: U.S.S. Monarch
Grid: Second Life

Mission: "Mako?"

The USS Magellan discovered planet Midgar on Stardate: 071021 and was explored by Cmdr. Lenneir DeCuir during Project Magellan in the early days of UFS presence in the Delta Quadrant. At Stardate: 101119 the USS Sheppard visited the planet for a more complex survey. One of the discoveries includes an energy source called "Mako". Very little is known about this energy and its only recorded on this planet. This energy is controlled/regulated by an huge corperate called Shin'Ra, the facto goverment in Midgar. Prelinc data shows that the energy is potential dangerous and also the civilization reached Pre-warp. We need to assess the situation on planet Midgar and a full investigation on this "Mako" energy and asses the potential threat level if this energy source ever reaches outer space. Its recommended to sent a small EID team undercover to planet Midgar to infiltrate Shin'Ra and collect data and samples of "Mako" energy for analysis by Security and Science branches.

Gear needed:
- Type 1 phaser.
- modern casual cloths.
- Tricorder.

Ship equipment:
- Heavy Medical gear.
- Planetary sensor pallet.
- Low yield secondary Fusion Reactor.

Crew Manifest:
- Cmdr. Gijsjan Broek
- F. Capt. Deanna Broek
- LT. Buck Ghostraven
- LT. Cmdr. Calypso Titanium
- LT. Cmdr. JessicaClaudia Maynard
Captain Gijsjan Broek.
Science Officer of U.S.S. Monarch :enterprised:

"Astronomy compel the soul to look upwards, and leads us from this world to another" Plato

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission day 1:

The whole team gathered in the Operations room in the Station. After the briefing we went to Deck 2 and entered the cargo deck in order to get the crate with the mission gear. after i lifted the heavy crate with the forklift i placed it on the transporter padd and beamed it to Deck 8 where the USS Magellan. We stowed the crate and boarded the ship. After the checklist we undocked and headed to the Midgar system at Warp 9. A short while later we got hailed by the USS Bravon, a Galaxy class ship. The transponder has a high priority signature from a Flag Officer. Commodore Hidalgo Dorchester beamed onboard and provided us with addition orders. We must gather a big sample of the Mako energy and we are authorised to lightly bend the Prime Directive if needed. A special container was beamed onboard. After a good convo he beamed back and we continued our voyage. We expect to arrive this friday.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

"Astronomy compel the soul to look upwards, and leads us from this world to another" Plato

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 1

Dr. Deanna Broek – Medical
Computer…Begin log

After things settled down after takeoff, I spent sometime in the upgraded sickbay to evaluate equipment status and ensure everything is in good working order as we head to our destination. As always, being the only medical person on board makes me want to double check everything so I am prepared, especially with the objective of this mission. An unknown energy source and a possible unfriendly environment brings me back here tonight.
The new biobed and regeneration tank are ready. Having these upgrades will go a long way, although I hope I don’t need any of them…

Computer…End log and save

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 2:

While watching an inflight movie with the team the alert system went off and we dropped out of Warp with a bang. We scanned the area and we noticed the local Subspace is severly disrupted. I couldnt create a stable warpfield. After intense scan we located a rogue asteroid sized 4 km's, 60% iron, 20% ice, 10% copper and 10% titanium from which the emissions coming from. The EPS grid was fluctuating and the phasers are offline. We flew to the asteroid and entered orbit. After scans with the mission Planetary Sensor we located a lonely building on the surface. It had a forcefield around it and we couldnt bombard it. We beamed down and located the source of the emissions. On approach we got attacked by a cannon turret and after that by sentry robots. After a heavy battle we managed to knock the robots and the forcefield down. I instantly recognised the building as a Rajan outpost with similair writings like we found on the planet Bedrock and in Pinastri system. Buck knocked the shield generator out with a light bang and i took the Laser Fusion Reactor offline and we beamed that to the ship. Alas, but the emissions kept going. We decided to place spatial charges and we blew the building up. Having no other choice but we suceeded to stop the emissions as i dissipated. We beamed back to the ship and the Doctor checked us out. Buck was cleared but i sustained severe chest burns and i'm isolated and sedated on the heavy biobed. Buck is in Command for 24 hours. The autopilot took us back to Warp and on course to the mission objective.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 2

Computer…Start log

After a long and eventful day, I’m finally taking some time to sit down and log my notes about today’s events. At first, I was leery about heading down to the planet’s surface with Buck and Gijs, but I’m glad I did. At first, I was so relieved to find out that Buck hadn’t been hurt by the blast, but then I saw Gijs…

Sitting here tonight, I’ll watch over him as he’s sedated in a sterile isolation field. I just hope the morphenolog will keep the pain somewhat at bay. I look over at the shredded remains of his suit and am grateful it wasn’t much worse. He’ll be fine, but I’m keeping him here with me overnight to keep an eye on him. I’m sure his first words when I worry will be, “but I’m a field scientist…I’m supposed to take risks”. Well, that’s my Imzadi.

Computer…End and save log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 3:

I woke up in the heavy biobed and saw the rest of the team around me. The ship is still on course at Warp 9. Later Calypso started sneezing and i checked the biofilters. Seems the filters didnt work during the asteroid incident so the Doctor had us all checked out. Calypso sustained some allergies and the Doctor treated the sympthons. We watched a few movies on the onboard TV set.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 3

Computer…Begin log

Another busy day of monitoring the Captain and reviving him as the dermal regeneration completed its task. After getting Gijs back on his feet, Calypso couldn’t stop sneezing so I did a complete scan on her and found basic allergies which I treated with Tryptophan-lysine distillate since I heard a bit of wheezing and congestion. She felt better pretty soon and although the Captain was just woken up, he was ready to join us for some down time and videos.

I also checked out Jess and her scans all returned normal so it seems Calypso was the only one affected. Glad to have our Captain back in action as we arrive to our destination in two days time. I’m going to go over those biofilter scans and see what was missed. I may need to send a subspace message to our Chief Science Officer to get his opinion on it.

Computer…Save and end log

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 4:

While enroute to the Midgar system we crossed the Insilicio system. We dropped out of warp and used the mission Planetary Sensor for quick readings. Seems the atmosphere is somewhat toxic and radiated and the landscape is all black and dark. Mostly ruins but some tech. is still online. A few UFS expeditions went to the planet some time ago but i think a more indepth expedition would be in order. After the scans we broke orbit and went back on course to our main objective. We arrive tomorrow.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 5:

Today we arrived at Midgar 2, the target planet. We entered orbit and the mission Planetary Sensor started to work. After locating the target area we beamed down for a quick recon. We found slums and a major city. In the city we found modern buildings and a hospital. Later we found our main objective in a heavy secured area, the Shinra HQ along with Mako Generators. We will need all our Intelligence skills to infiltrate that huge building.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 6:

Nothing to report for today. The team is relaxing and prepping for the infiltrations.

End log.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 7:

Nothing to report. the mission Planetary Sensor is still working but the USS Magellan's computer core is having a hard time processing the data.

End log.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 8:

Today the team beamed down and took a train to Sector 7, the slums. This part of the target area consist primairy of simple houses and bars. We did notice a few vents on the ground with traces of Mako energy. But the biggest find is a fully functional Mako Reactor in a secured area. Buck and Calypso investigated the reactor. Also someone in a strange uniform runned passed by me and when we got near the train station i saw a soldier of Shinra. Seems that Shinra also controls the military. Things will get messier.

End log.

Mako Reactor

uniformed person

Shinra Soldier
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 9:

Today i flew the USS Magellan down to the surface while it was night at Midgar City. I landed her in a dense forest about 5 miles from the city. Later Deanna, Calypso and i walked to the city and took the train to the more classy area of the city and we explored the city block near Shinra HQ. The city is huge with lots of house rental, bars and shops. Some shops sell weapons though. Again we saw a few Shinra soldiers armed to the teeth but they ignored us. With this intell. data gathered we surmise to analyse and take samples from the Mako Reactor in the slums and also the few secured buildings over there. And also Shinra HQ building itself for more information. We need to find a way to make those soldiers believe that we are someone else and spoof them with trickery. Then infiltrate the building and extract anything we can. With hope we find science data about the Mako energy itself and about Shinra as a goverment and maybe their space program.

End log.

Shinra soldiers

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 10:

While i was in a "meeting" with Joe Duddle we walked deep in the forest to scan for any possible anomolies which could compromise our location but nothing was found except for strange energy readings underground at a few spots. Totally natural but the traces suggested it is Mako energy but i couldnt make head or tails from the readings. Took us 5 hours to complete the sweep and after we got back we noticed the team went to Midgar again only to read in the logs that Deanna got injured during the away mission. Buck got affraid of the ship being on the surface but as the Commodore said. Once the sample containers are full we cannot beam it to the ship.

End log.

((Had a RL event today))
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 10

Dr. Deanna Broek

Computer…begin log

I’m lucky to be alive…It all started out so simply. Calypso and I ventured into the slums to have another look around. We wanted to get a closer look at that Mako generator to figure out how to get a sample. The paramilitary guard sure gave us a hard look, but let us move on.
I told Calypso I had figured out a way in on the side from the other day so she followed. When I jumped this time, I didn’t clear the top like I did the last time and my leg brushed the fence. When I landed a shock ran through me and I lost all feeling in my legs, collapsing to the ground. I felt shock waves of adrenaline racing through me but I couldn’t move. My head was throbbing and all I could do was yell for Calypso. I’m very lucky she was there or I would have been gone.
She did an emergency beam up to the ship Buck was waiting for us. He helped Calypso get me on the biobed and they frantically got to work trying to save me. I went in and out of consciousness several times but Buck did some scans on my computer and Calypso had a spare hypo I’d given her some time back. They figured out a good treatment. Thankfully, Gijs installed the advanced biobed which gave Calypso a good head start on my treatment.
Eventually, I gained partial consciousness and could communicate to Calypso through my thoughts. I woke up and was confused and unsure of things but the treatments and pain meds started to help. My legs are still numb and I can’t use them, but scans are showing things returning to normal. It looks like I’m on bedrest for now.
Buck was totally panicked about the location of the ship in the daytime and Gijs was nowhere to be found. I vaguely recall him mentioning a meeting of some sorts but the injuries and drugs clouded my memory so much. All I know is I’m hurt and need him and someone needs to calm Buck down. I had to order him to bed from the biobed so he would get some sleep. He admitted to 2 days without sleep and was defiant and pacing. I was alert enough to order him to bed and he complied. How I wish my Imzadi were here...

Guess I’ll be the one being watched tonight…

Computer…Save and end log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket

Return to “Intelligence Branch Archives”