Mission North Star

Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: U.S.S. Monarch
Grid: Second Life

Mission day 9:

Today me, Deanna, Buck and Daddy beamed down to Cooky's house again. Buck mentioned he found something interesting in a mine. We rode with our holo horses to said place and we found a piece of tech. most obvious out of place. While scanning a lady walked in said that we "found" it. I saw the same facial markings again on her face and she said she's a Skag. We talked and she told a bit of her species history and about this Sirius guy again. Seems mr. Sirius likes to abuse women for pleasure and for more horrible things. I got bitten by a bat just flewing over the relic. After she left i scanned this "relic" as she mentioned it and recorded the readings:

"Relic"
- Quantum datings shows about 200 years old.
- Standard matter/antimatter Warpcore with deuterium fuel.
- Warpcore is online at 10% output.
- Monotanium, tritanium and blended silica/iron based.

Geology scan of the mine:
- 30% bauxite, 20% iron, 10% gold, 5% silver, 5% copper, 10% water, 20% silica

Tech. scans:
- wood tech, iron tech. wheel, mining skills, animal domestification, steam power, horse power

- Atmosphere scan:
20% nitrogen, 5% methane, 75% oxygen.

After we beamed back to the USS Magellan, Deanna treated me and the team for bat bites.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.
Science Officer of U.S.S. Monarch :enterprised:

"Astronomy compel the soul to look upwards, and leads us from this world to another" Plato

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 9
Dr. Deanna Broek (Sukra)

Computer…start log

Today, Gijs, Buck, Daddy and I wound up in part of a mine where alien technology was discovered. A woman named Quorre, with the same markings as the lady we met yesterday came upon us there and was very upset we had found their technological relic. Once again, I could sense the intense fear coming from her like the woman from yesterday. I was able to take another covert scan with my tricorder but the same information came up…vague readings that she was partially humanoid. They are so very distrustful of us, I don’t know when or if I’ll ever be able to get a chance to really examine one of them. Gijs took a covert scan with his science tricorder, but even combined with that info, I didn’t get much more data about them.

Gijs and Buck were both bitten by bats in the mine and after beaming back to the ship, I did full diagnostics on them both and gave them medication to prevent infection. Daddy said he wasn’t bit, but I still insisted on a full diagnostic to be sure. He and I were the only team members not bitten.

Hopefully, on our next visit to the town, I can try to get closer to this woman named Quorre and find out more about their physiology or background.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

"Astronomy compel the soul to look upwards, and leads us from this world to another" Plato

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission day 10:

Today we beamed down for another survey and some local sightseeing. Me, Deanna, Buck, Daddy, and Cali rode with horses to a town called Benson a few miles of the big town we found earlier. At the edge of that town we found on which my covert tricorder reads as a "Rodeo". There is a horse that it really nasty and it seems you ride that horse and hope you dont fall off. We all tried that horse and Buck had the longest time with 185 seconds and me with 163 seconds. Buck tried another time but he felt on his head. A lady showed up before the incident and later the local Mayor who seems also a Doctor. We couldnt beam out or it would be a breach of the Prime Directive. That doctor diagnosed him with Concussion and later Buck was treated but he reacted rather weird. We finally secured our location and beamed back to the ship. Doctor D. Broek treated him and keeps him 24 hours in sickbay. As the mission XO i'm officially in Command untill Buck is cleared for duty. My first order was to land the ship in a remote location near the town in order to repair the port Impulse Engine as our orbit will be harder to maintain. With all security protocols in place the repairs will start soon.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 10
Dr. Deanna Broek (Sukra)

Computer…start log
What started out as a day of exploration turned into a medical emergency. Our team, consisting of myself, Gijs, Buck and Calypso wound up at a rodeo place and we proceeded to take turns with the horse. Everyone did well until Buck went for a second go and was thrown violently to the ground. We found him unconscious and since we were not alone (a local townswoman was speaking with us) I had no choice but to run and find a town doctor. I was very fortunate and found a doctor within minutes and we rushed back to the scene. We found Buck sitting but very disoriented and in pain. The doctor managed to get him back to her office and we just had to stand outside and wait while the doctor used the best she had to treat him; which wasn’t much. Daddy arrived just in time in case I needed security back-up; Buck was NOT himself at all.
After we were able to get him outside and back on his feet, we found a secure location and beamed back to the ship where I immediately ordered Buck to sickbay. He was combative and disoriented, so I used an isotropic restraint in conjunction with the biobed to keep him from getting up. I also started an infusion unit for fluids since he lost so much from repeated vomiting in town. I eventually had to sedate him and stay to monitor him using the biobed readouts and frequent diagnostics. He is confined to sickbay for at least 24 hours and Commander Broek will be in command until I can clear Buck for active duty.
Calypso was also treated for a headache and was able to recover quickly and retire to her bunk for the evening. I will be up very late keeping an eye on Buck…a very nasty concussion is nothing to take lightly.
End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Buck Ghostraven
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 11

Woke up today and found myself under restraint in sickbay having no recollection of yesterday. From what the crew have told me, I was thrown from a horse during a rodeo contest and suffered severe concussion. It appears that I was treated on the spot by one of the physicians in town and then transported straight to sickbay for treatement by Deanna and confined to sickbay for 24 hours.
I have now been released from sickbay but decided to spend the day recovering on board ship. This appears to have landed on the plantet surface and when I questioned Gijsjan, he said that this was needed to repair the impulse engine we lost on the flight out and was causing a decay in our orbit. I readily agreed to this.
Nothing much else seems to have happened today as the crew concentrate on the repairs.

Computer save and end log

Lt jg Buck Ghostraven
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission day 11:

While Buck is in sickbay and the rest of the team being occupied with other things i accessed the damage to the USS Magellan with Joe Duddle (NPC). Seems the damage is more worse then anticipated. Joe and I knows the ship very very well. We flew together with the main Magellan Explorers during the grand tours in the Telos and Midgar sectors during Project Magellan back in 2383 and 2384. Damage report as follows:

- Port Impulse Driver coil flooded with heavy traces of hydrogen and energised hydrogen. Density 3 times more then normal.
- Port static subspace field generator is damaged 90%.
- Primary stabilisers are offset by 60% meaning the ship cannot be kept stable during flight.
- Micro fractures in the Port assembly and Warp plasma conduit.
- Starboard Impulse Engines stressed by 35%.
- Hydrogen in Port fuel tank is getting unstable every day and the density is too high.

In order to get the ship back in shape the following repairs/actions need to be taken:

- Purging of both Impulse fuel tanks at slow speed. Too fast purge means an explosion resulting in losing the port assembly and toxic air levels. ETA: 2 days
- Scooping Deuterium with the Auxilery Deuterium Scooper at a water source and transfer it to the fuel tanks. Purity levels may not be lower then 25% of we dont get home: ETA: 2 to 3 days.
- Seal all micro fractures. ETA: 1 day.
- Recalibrate the main stabilizers and nav. deflectors. ETA: 2 hours.
- Unstressing the starboard Impulse engine. ETA: 12 hours.

All repairs should take about 5 days but the mission will not be compromised and the objectives can still be reached. Joe and I will do whatever it takes to get the team back home.

End log.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission day 12:

Repairs on the USS Magellan has started. The fuel tanks are being purged from its hydrogen with a venting yield of 30% capacity. Once that is done the tanks can be filled with Deuterium and set the Impulse Reactors to the standard D-D Fusion mix. If i could find tritium in the nearby mines then it would be way better. A standard D-T Fusion mix is the most efficient setting. The mission is still going well and the rest of the team are occupied gathering info about the Skagarians.Tomorrow i join them again as they can use my help.

End log.
Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Buck Ghostraven
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 12

I felt well enough to venture outside today. Most of the crew appear to be engaged on maintenance work so I thought it wise to conquer my fears and get back on a horse again.
Having regained some confidence in the beast I rode into the main town. Seemed to be a lot of people gathered in one of the buildings so I decided to investigate. On entering the building it was found to be a courtroom where some poor sole was on trial for their life. While I was there the man named Sirius appeared and did not seem pleased to see me there. We had some angry words and I left to return to the ship. The more I see of this man the more I wonder if there is some underlying reason for his aggression. Maybe something to do with the secret the woman called Quorre spoke of. We need to find her again and try to find out more about this secret.

Lt jg Buck Ghostraven
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission day 13:

Today me and Deanna rode with the horses from the USS Magellan to the local town again. A lot of traffic over there and later we rode to Camp 2 only to discover 1 wagon and a fire place. Seems the place is deserted by the Skag. The repairs are going well. The Impulse fuel tanks are empty of the hydrogen and the Auxilery Deuterium Scooper is filling the tanks up now with normal Deuterium with a purity of 65%. We need at least 35% propellant in the tanks for the trip home.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Buck Ghostraven
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 13

While on a recon with Deanna we spotted one of the skagaran women, the one called Arwyn. As we got talking to her she told us that Sirius has beaten her sister quorre up quite badly. Seems he has an idea she had been talking to us. We told arwyn that this was not the case and that they could both trust us not to say anything. She also mentioned that the skagaran children are not allowed to be taught and that the menfolk are all taken away to work in the mines where they get no pay whatsoever. We again tried to prise the "secret" quorre mentioned but she was unwilling to tell us anything about that until she had talked to quorre. Whatever this secret is, it is affecting Sirius in a very bad way. Deanna and myself talked about getting him on to Magellan to run a complete medical diagnostic on him. We came up with a plan that may not be completely ethical but for the sake of the success of this mission we might have to undertake. It involves the wounding of sirius so that we can transport him to our sickbay so that Deanna can run some tests on him. While this sits heavy on my heart it may be something that we will have to consider at a later date if we fail to get the information from the skargaran women.

Lt jg Buck Ghostraven
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 13
Dr. Deanna Broek (Sukra)

Computer…start log

After feeling confident that Buck is going to be OK after a final diagnostic check up, Gijs and I rode our horses into town and luck was not on our side today. All we found was a deserted Skag campsite and no one near Cooky’s house at all.

Later, while Gijs was continuing repairs on the ship, I met Buck outside of town, who was speaking with Arwyn. She was very worried about Quorre, who had been beaten by Sirius. Sirius suspects that the ladies have been talking to us and is becoming increasingly violent towards the women. Of course, there is no way to perform any check-ups or help the ladies other than to offer support. I can sense her absolute terror when it comes to Sirius and her reluctance to share this secret about him is understandable. She did agree to talk to Quorre and stated out loud that they trust us.

Buck and I found a discreet location and beamed back to Magellan to write our reports and call it a day.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission day 14:

The repairs are going well but the risk of being detected is getting too high. So, after we purged the port Impulse engine and got the Impulse fuel tanks loaded at 30% we stowed the gear in the compressed cargo bay and lifted off into orbit. All systems are working nicely and I think we will need to head to Tombstone 4 after the mission, which seems to be a gas giant and use the Bussard Ramjets to gather more Deuterium for the trip home. We beamed down and headed to the Skag camp to the two lovely ladies, Arwyn and Quorre. Seems Quorre got beaten up by Mr. Sirius again. We tried to convince them we wanted to help them and we told them that we are not from this planet. We succeeded to sedate both ladies and beamed them both to the USS Magellan. Doc. Deanna treated Quorre and Buck and comforted Arwyn by telling her about us and her home world. In the end Deanna treated Quorre and both ladies finally trust us and we ensured them we will protect them from Mr. Sirius.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Buck Ghostraven
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 14

The repairs on Magellan were finally completed sufficiently to allow us to get back into orbit. This was a great relief as security was becomign a major headache. Once we were safely in orbit. myself, Gijsjan, Deanna and Calypso transported down to the planet where we saw Quorre and Arwyn in one of the camps. We could immediately see that Quorre was in a bad way and Arwyn was very worried about her. Deanna did a quick examination and realised immediately that something was seriously wrong with her. Arwyn said the doctors had refused to look at her so it was decided that at this stage of our mission we were going to have to tell them who we were and trust in them to keep it to themselves and that we had then no alternative than to transport them to Magellan. Both Quorre and Arwyn were not very happy about this but eventually were persuaded that if we didn't Quorre may die.
Quorre was taken directly to sickbay while Arwyn was given a tour of the ship. Following urgent medical treatment by Deanna, Quorre was well enough to be released from sickbay. I then asked them again about Sirius and why he did the things he did, mentioning the secret Quorre had mentioned previously. I could see that this made them uncomfortable but in the end they said that Sirius is half Skagaran and this is what drives his hate.
We promised Arwyn and Quorre that we would deal with Sirius as they were both reluctant to return to the planet.
Gijsjan saw them safely back down and returned to Magellan where we decided that we were going to have to deal with Sirius. Plans have been put in motion for this.

Lt jg Buck Ghostraven
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission Day 14
Dr. Deanna Broek (Sukra)

Computer…start log

Upon beaming down to the planet’s surface, I immediately found Quorre in very serious medical condition. Without urgent medical treatment onboard Magellan, Quorre would most certainly die. With the Captain’s permission, I beamed Quorre directly to sickbay after utilizing an alpha-wave inducer to put her under; her injuries were too serious. Diagnostic scans indicated a broken facial bone, a broken arm, facial bruising and lacerations, as well as some internal bleeding from the beating she received.

I increased the level of the alpha-wave inducer to anesthetize the patient and begin repairing the damage. Her sister informed me she hadn’t eaten in some time, so I prepared the infusion unit to being nutritional infusion upon completion of surgery. I was able to stop the internal bleeding and let the dermal and osteogenic regenerators do their work on the skin and bone damage. After careful watching over the patient after using the auto suture to close the incision, diagnostics revealed the internal bleeding had stopped. The patient was given Morphenolog for the pain she would feel upon wakening and eventually I was able to gently reduce the alpha-wave inducer and let her wake.

After allowing the patient to recover and a visit with her sister, I released her from sickbay and Gijs helped return the two ladies to their camp. Quorre cannot take another beating from Sirius in her condition. I fear for both women’s safety.

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket
Gijsjan Broek
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mission day 15:

Today we beamed down for a little shooting practice with these "Colt Peacemaker" guns. Kinda primitive with a gunpowder based bullet or shell. Later we rode to Benson town for a little get together. Tomorrow were going to confront mr. Sirius and see where this all leads too. I feel this person is the key to everything. Also its Federation Day today. The day the United Federation of Planets was founded on Oct. 11th 2161.....For UFS and the Federation!

End log.

Captain Gijsjan Broek.

Access Service Jacket

Return to “Intelligence Branch Archives”