Commanders' Guide to UFS Intelligence

Responsible for gathering intelligence, they have the patience to read through a database for hours on end, and the cunning to coax information from an unwilling giver.
Wolfton Foulsbane
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Below, is the first half of the initial draft "Wolfton's Guide to UFS Intelligence for Commanders."  The classes we are working on will go into much more detail for the officers of the Intelligence Branch, but we don't want a novel for commanding officers to have to refer to in order to make better use of us.

I welcome any and all comments, and Commanders, if it is already too long, say so.

This document serves as a guide for senior leaders wanting to know how to employ their Intelligence Officers, request support from the Intelligence Divisions, and gives examples as to what can be expected from Intelligence.

For many centuries, and even longer a period of time in most cultures, Intelligence has been misunderstood.  Indeed, many officers in UFS are finally beginning to grasp what Intelligence truly is, and the best part about this is that it isn't a secret.

Having a name like Intelligence doesn't help, either.  The literal definition of the word has little, if nothing, to do with the people that make up the Intelligence Roster, and certainly does not describe us collectively, or even individually.  A more accurate name would be, "Self Proclaimed Experts in Enemy Activities, Equipment, Tactics, Personalities, and Those Trusted to This Information on Our Own Peoples From Being Exposed" and that's certainly not all of it.

To put it in plain Standard Federation Common, we analyze all aspects of the battlespace and those in command opposing us, and then we imagine what they would do next.  But more importantly, we present this highly educated guess, or as I like to call it; a calculated approximation, and we present the information pertinent to those in command and allow them to make a more educated decision as to how to accomplish a certain mission.

We are tacticians both in the strategic and tactical sense.  We must know everything about an enemy race, like what Captain Shelby knew of the Borg while she was assigned First Officer of the Enterprise D.  We must know everything we can about an enemy vessel as the Tactical Officer like Lieutenant Commander Tuvok on Voyager would know.  We must be able to interpret actions on a tactical as well as strategic scale like Commander Troi did on the Enterprise as Counsler while on the bridge.  We must deploy and read data from sensors and probes like Ambassador Spock while he was both Science Officer and First Officer of the Enterprise.  We also have a great role in Communications as Admiral Uhura did while she was the Communications Officer on the enterprise.  (Its no surprise that she later became the head of Intelligence.) While we are typacally not specifically assigned any one of these stations, we do work a great deal with them.

Intelligence Officers have only recently been assigned to ships and stations, and many commmanders know they need us, but because we have no assigned console to work from, we are a resource often overlooked.  Previously, Intelligence Officers were seen as mysterious officers with no known histories with ships or crews, temporarily assigned to a particular vessel for a mission, and never trusted by their own fellow crewmembers.

With the assignment of dedicated Intelligence Officers to ships and stations, the Intelligence Branch hopes to put a friendlier face on the name Intelligence and make all the accumulated knowledge available "where the plasma meets the manifolds."  It does United Federation Starfleet Intelligence no good to know where the enemy will strike next, if the poor crewmen in Research Station Andromeda are unaware of the impending doom.

Intelligence is broken up into disciplines, and behind every Intelligence Officer on a bridge, is a team of unsung, and unseen, heroes who dedicate their very existences to locating and identifying the clues that lead the officers to conclusions that will be briefed to Commanders. The nature of how the information is acquired makes it impossible, as well as illegal, to explain in any detail, but the disciplines used by Starfleet Intelligence Officers are:
*Measures and Signatures Intelligence
*Signals Intelligence
*Imagery Intelligence
*Personal Intelligence (Formerly known as Human Intelligence)
*Open Source Intelligence
*Political Intelligence
*Financial (and Economic) Intelligence
*Geospatial Intelligence
*Technical Intelligence
    Many of these have subordinate types of Intelligence, and many cross over into other areas.  Your Intelligence Officer is not the 'spy' collecting this type of intelligence.  He or she is the person making use of this information for your benefit.

Our primary function on a bridge or away team is most easily described as "Tactical and Strategic Counselor"  After the mission, however, is when we really get to work.  We are also tasked with debriefings.  If things come about during a mission such as a strange symbol appearing on the screens and only you, the Captain, can clear the message, then you need to rely on your Intel Officer to properly document who had access to which information, and have all of the personnel indoctrinated sign a statement of nondosclosure for that mission.  We also serve as your right hand during First Contact.  Your Intel Officer should never leave your side because their expertise in dealing with nearly all cultures known to the Federation will serve you well in interpreting the motives of your would-be allies.

As with any other officer under your command, we are a resource that can, and should be, tapped into in order to better position your crew to succeed in almost any missions.  Though we may be a peculiar lot, we are that way for good reasons, and we should be allowed to earn the trust of you and your crew.
Last edited by Wolfton Foulsbane on 101117.0641, edited 1 time in total.
Slarus Rajal
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

a very nice guide to help folks who wonder about Intell.

I am thinking SFC might need an Intell officer.
Wolfton Foulsbane
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

We are working to update this guide, so I hope our fan base remains enthused.
Cipher Rhode
UFSMC - LT. Colonel
UFSMC - LT. Colonel
Duty Post: Critical Skills Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri HQ
Grid: Second Life

Here's my question about the now Captain Shelby.

How the hell does she know ALL about the Borg when they just showed up on the TNG scene thanks indirectly to Q. Even though he warned us NOT to provoke the Borg.

I believe it was between a one to three episode difference from when Enterprise-Delta first met the Borg, then all of a sudden, they have a Borg expert calling the shots.

How can someone know ALL about the Borg within such a short time frame?
LtCol Christopher "Cipher" Rhode, UFSMC

Access Service Jacket
Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Commander-in-Chief UFS
Ship/Station Posted: UF Starfleet Headquarters
Grid: Unknown

Here's my question about the now Captain Shelby
Elizabeth Paula Shelby is an admiral....not a captain
In Service to United Federation Starfleet

Wolfton Foulsbane
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Cipher Rhode wrote: Here's my question about the now Captain Shelby.

How the hell does she know ALL about the Borg when they just showed up on the TNG scene thanks indirectly to Q. Even though he warned us NOT to provoke the Borg.

I believe it was between a one to three episode difference from when Enterprise-Delta first met the Borg, then all of a sudden, they have a Borg expert calling the shots.

How can someone know ALL about the Borg within such a short time frame?
I didn't know she was an admiral, either.  She didn't take the last name Calhoun when they were married?

Here are some reasons how this is possible:

1) The computers, sensors, probes, etc. available in that day are far more advanced than ours are today.  The sheer amount of data accumulated during the encounter would produce tomes of information Starfleet Intelligence could decipher in a much quicker time than we could today.  Then Lieutenant Commander Shelby was able to process that information and become an expert in a matter of hours.

2) In fact, I did that myself more than five years ago, in real life.  Imagine what Admiral Shelby could have done.

3) Do we know that Q didn't also make Admiral Shelby an expert?  Perhaps She is Q, too?

4) How much time really did take place between Q introducing the Enterprise crew to the Borg and this claim that she was an expert? Did we compare Stardates?

5) Are we sure Admiral Shelby wasn't also sucked out of the Enterprise B with Captain Kirk and into the Nexus?  Perhaps she had a little bit more time to digest the information than we realize.

6) Other methods of time travel could have been used.  Does anyone remember just how much Borg debris and computer logs were found on Earth and in the atmosphere and classified at so high a level only certain people knew about it?  I mean, the Borg were on Earth since before the launch of the Phoenix.

7) Plot inconsistancies.  We've had them since the TOS.  Wasn't the TOS crew sent to steal a cloaking device from the Romulans, but then surprised that the Romulans even had a cloaking device?

I tried to come up with 10 reasons.  I failed.  But seriously, using the technology considered old in 2004, and spending a total of 16 collective hours in a three day period, I was an expert.  Analysts have templates for various types of hostile forces.  We look at the clues and apply templates to them, and come up with scenarios, or simulations.  The computers in 2384 can do that all on their own.  Imagine what I could do with that technology.

That's what we in the Intelligence Branch are trying to translate into UFS and SL for the enhancement of role play.
Reina Beaumont
Security - Commander
Security - Commander
Duty Post: Security Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Unknown
Grid: Second Life

It's more like Admiral Elizabeth Shelby-Calhoun is one of those officers who is a major workaholic, gives 110% to her work and is highly focused on giving her all in whatever she does.
Yes, us workaholics are everywhere!

R/T
"Never underestimate a woman who was trained to survive by whatever means" - Reina Beaumont

"The uniform says nothing of the actual person wearing it, the uniform is merely a uniform, the person is the one actually doing their job" - Reina Beaumont

SB: Director of the School of Beta Quadrant Cultures - SS Alexandria

Access Service Jacket
Wolfton Foulsbane
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

This document serves as a guide for senior leaders wanting to know how to employ their Intelligence Officers, request support from the Intelligence Divisions, and gives examples as to what can be expected from Intelligence.

For many centuries, and even longer a period of time in most cultures, Intelligence has been misunderstood.  Indeed, many officers in UFS had a grasp on what Intelligence truly is, and the best part about this is that it isn't a secret, but our mission parameters changed recently, to provide more support to missions, while pulling Intelligence Officers away from assignments on starships and stations.

Having a name like Intelligence doesn't help, either.  The literal definition of the word has little, if nothing, to do with the people that make up the Intelligence Roster, and certainly does not describe us collectively, or even individually.  A more accurate name would be, "Self Proclaimed Experts in Enemy Activities, Equipment, Tactics, Personalities, and Those Trusted to This Information on Our Own Peoples From Being Exposed" and that's certainly not all of it.

To put it in plain Standard Federation Common, we analyze all aspects of the battlespace and those in command opposing us, and then we imagine what they would do next.  But more importantly, we present this highly educated guess, or as I like to call it; a calculated approximation, and we present the information pertinent to those in command and allow them to make a more educated decision as to how to accomplish a certain mission.

We are tacticians both in the strategic and tactical sense.  We must know everything about an enemy race, like what Captain Shelby knew of the Borg while she was assigned First Officer of the Enterprise D.  We must know everything we can about an enemy vessel as the Tactical Officer like Lieutenant Commander Tuvok on Voyager would know.  We must be able to interpret actions on a tactical as well as strategic scale like Commander Troi did on the Enterprise as Counsler while on the bridge.  We must deploy and read data from sensors and probes like Ambassador Spock while he was both Science Officer and First Officer of the Enterprise.  We also have a great role in Communications as Admiral Uhura did while she was the Communications Officer on the enterprise.  (Its no surprise that she later became the head of Intelligence.) While we are typacally not specifically assigned any one of these stations, we do work a great deal with them.  Oddly, the most famous Intelligence Officer on a Space Station was Commander Worf, while he was dual-billeted as both the First Officer and the Intelligence Officer aboard Deep Space 9, and his actions as such were very scarcely documented.

Intelligence Officers have only recently been assigned to ships and stations, and many commmanders know they need us, but because we have no assigned console to work from, we are a resource often overlooked.  Previously, Intelligence Officers were seen as mysterious officers with no known histories with ships or crews, temporarily assigned to a particular vessel for a mission, and never trusted by their own fellow crewmembers.

With the assignment of dedicated Intelligence Officers to ships and stations, the Intelligence Branch hopes to put a friendlier face on the name Intelligence and make all the accumulated knowledge available "where the plasma meets the manifolds."  It does United Federation Starfleet Intelligence no good to know where the enemy will strike next, if the poor crewmen in Research Station Andromeda are unaware of the impending doom.

Intelligence is broken up into disciplines, and behind every Intelligence Officer on a bridge, is a team of unsung, and unseen, heroes who dedicate their very existences to locating and identifying the clues that lead the officers to conclusions that will be briefed to Commanders. The nature of how the information is acquired makes it impossible, as well as illegal, to explain in any detail, but the disciplines used by Starfleet Intelligence Officers are:
*Measures and Signatures Intelligence
*Signals Intelligence
*Imagery Intelligence
*Personal Intelligence (Formerly known as Human Intelligence)
*Open Source Intelligence
*Political Intelligence
*Financial (and Economic) Intelligence
*Geospatial Intelligence
*Technical Intelligence
    Many of these have subordinate types of Intelligence, and many cross over into other areas.  Your Intelligence Officer is not the 'spy' collecting this type of intelligence.  He or she is the person making use of this information for your benefit.  Rather than use the currently bloated list of Intelligence Billets posted to the wiki, we are redesignating them as Intelligence Occupational Specialties while attempting to allow for reconstitution of Intelligence Officers as members of your crews.

Our primary function is to explore all the various star systems ((sims)) and planets/moons/orbital stations ((seperate parcels)) and catalog reports for later use by your crews, whether or not we have a dedicated Intelligence Officer onn your staf.  While conducting these missions, we will need to request that you allow us travel aboard your vessels as well as temporary quarters and a place to dock our shuttles until its time to disembark on the next legs of our journies.

While we are aboard your vessels as your guests, we are free to be employed as you the comanding officer see fit.  We do have a lot of specialized training and may be better used in certain aspects than others, but it is always your call as to how much or how little we are used.  I only request that if you delay us on our missions, that you send us a note at the Intel Headquarters advising us of the delay.  Suggestions as to how we may be employed are as follows: on a bridge or away team is most easily described as "Tactical and Strategic Counselor"  After the mission, however, is when we really get to work.  We are also tasked with debriefings.  If things come about during a mission such as a strange symbol appearing on the screens and only you, the Captain, can clear the message, then you need to rely on your Intel Officer to properly document who had access to which information, and have all of the personnel indoctrinated sign a statement of nondosclosure for that mission.  We also serve as your right hand during First Contact.  Your Intel Officer should never leave your side because their expertise in dealing with nearly all cultures known to the Federation will serve you well in interpreting the motives of your would-be allies.

As with any other officer under your command, we are a resource that can, and should be, tapped into in order to better position your crew to succeed in almost any missions.  Though we may be a peculiar lot, we are that way for good reasons, and we should be allowed to earn the trust of you and your crew.
Last edited by Wolfton Foulsbane on 091107.2139, edited 1 time in total.
Trennek Yuitza
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Wolfton Foulsbane wrote: The classes we are working on will go into much more detail for the officers of the Intelligence Branch
Wolfton, please make sure you follow the submission guidelines and gain approval from the Superintendant for any new class concepts before you start any work. Thanks

http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... Guidelines
Natalya Karu
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Cipher Rhode wrote:How can someone know ALL about the Borg within such a short time frame?
Maybe the Hansens sent a report from time to time?
Cheryl Skinstad
Science - Rear Admiral
Science - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: UF Starfleet Chief Of Staff
Ship/Station Posted: USS Durant
Grid: All

Trennek you got here before me; I was just about to say that I needed this submitting in the correct area please, in the format we all use.
Hidalgo Dorchester
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

You all do know that this thread is a year old right? ;)
Natalya Karu
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Now I know. :D

Still it's only this morning that it appeared on my Recent Unread Topics list for the first time...
Cheryl Skinstad
Science - Rear Admiral
Science - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: UF Starfleet Chief Of Staff
Ship/Station Posted: USS Durant
Grid: All

Me too
Hidalgo Dorchester
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

*smiles* He moved it and wrote note that he did^^

Return to “Intelligence Branch”