What's the status of this branch?

justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

i know i will regret this but....

What's up?

Anyone here?

What is being done? What is the future?

Is this branch reduced to simply adding Operation Officers to UFS Roster?

if someone can answer these questions will have my thanks.
Zania Turner
Operations - Rear Admiral
Operations - Rear Admiral
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted: USS Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

Hey Alberto!

Right now, to my knowledge, Nabuleone Rhode has transferred back to the Science Branch and will be taking a position with PRF. Angena Ryba is acting branch head of Operations until such time as a decision is made as to whether that'll be permanent, or someone else applies and will be appointed as the new branch head.

Once the decision is made, then I'm sure that there will be announcements about this in the future! Until then, please don't hesitate to ask any additional questions!
Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Commander-in-Chief UFS
Ship/Station Posted: UF Starfleet Headquarters
Grid: Unknown

The purpose of the branches is already explained in another forum post
Angena Ryba
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Just like to point out that there is no Branch Command in Ops Branch. I retired back in October, and currently trying out a position on board a ship right now :)
Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral

/me yawns....

Important information
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mike Calhoun wrote:The purpose of the branches is already explained in another forum post

What i remember of that post is you asking was what we Branch thought a Branch should do...and after a lot of arguing...it was inconclusive.

I just gave a fast read to the Handbook so i do not know what it exactly says about Branch Command yet.

However, i dont have a problem to be clear that in case a search for a new Operations Branch Commander starts i will send an application (if i pass the requirements)

Whatevet the choice in the end the only request is: Pick (or give preference in case you open applications) someone currently in the Operations Branch. UFS as a whole has members more than capable, if properly motivated, to be Branch Commander however if you decide someone of outside of the branch you will state that the Operations Officers currently in the Branch dont have the capacity to take care of their branch and need people from outside to do that job...which is a lie.

Thank you.
Jadia Triellis
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Talk to Kermie MIstwallow re: the position as he oversees the Branch Commands.
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Jadia Triellis wrote:Talk to Kermie MIstwallow re: the position as he oversees the Branch Commands.
....No

Whoever is in charge of the Branch Commanders should know they are already missing one..for a looong time and take action to get a new one.

That i had to open a topic about this situation actually makes me look bad and me being transparent that i would send an application for the position makes me sound over-ambitious. However it also makes you, UFS Command, look bad...for ignoring Operations Branch.

And i really do not care if people see me as bad and over ambitious..as long this topic becomes a jolt to wake up this Branch.

And knowing that i would not be a popular choice :-D ...i would only send an application after a PUBLIC announcement opening applications for Operations Branch Commander...meaning that everyone could present their project/ideas to Kermie rather than direct nominations...those lack transparency and may raise issues later

Final Question:

Right now Chrono Xaris is doing the Roll Call posts for Operations....so is he Acting Branch Commander?
Jadia Triellis
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

My suggestion was merely that, a suggestion. The previous branch Commander stepped down last month. Command in the interim was assessing the necessity for the entire Branch Command role and if there was a role for them to have. When it was determined that was necessary, moves began to be made to prepare. Again you are asking this in a time where lots of changes are being made in UFS. Does it excuse this not happening earlier? No. But Kermie and Tammy once they communicate with one another and switch duties will start to move up to speed. In essence Tammy will now be overseeing the Chapters and Kermie will be overseeing the Branches now. It was the other way before.

Thank you for paying attention Alberto and for as always with your candor bringing attention to this subject.
Teresa Firelight
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

justalt02 Resident wrote:
Whoever is in charge of the Branch Commanders should know they are already missing one..for a looong time and take action to get a new one.

That i had to open a topic about this situation actually makes me look bad and me being transparent that i would send an application for the position makes me sound over-ambitious. However it also makes you, UFS Command, look bad...for ignoring Operations Branch.
Kerrnie, Jadia and UFS Command are not ignorant. It is true they have not made any public announcements on this yet, but they are aware that Nab has stepped down and they are working on taking care of Operations. There have been things going on behind the scenes that you (and most of UFS) are not aware of. I have been involved in a very small piece of that, so I am aware of a small portion of what all they are doing.

I am glad that you are concerned about the branch, that is a good thing. But it makes me feel very uncomfortable when you make negative statements about command as you express that concern. This reboot transition is a confusing time (most transitions are) and as far as I can tell, they are all doing their best. It is just going to take a bit of time to get through the transition. But I have no doubt that in the end, the operations branch will be well taken care of.

-T
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Jadia Triellis wrote:Thank you for paying attention Alberto and for as always with your candor bringing attention to this subject.
Well you know me...i love to serve my issues and nagging with my candy...sometimes sweet...most times sour...always spicey :-) :-P
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Teresa Firelight wrote:
justalt02 Resident wrote:

Kerrnie, Jadia and UFS Command are not ignorant. It is true they have not made any public announcements on this yet, but they are aware that Nab has stepped down and they are working on taking care of Operations. There have been things going on behind the scenes that you (and most of UFS) are not aware of. I have been involved in a very small piece of that, so I am aware of a small portion of what all they are doing.

I am glad that you are concerned about the branch, that is a good thing. But it makes me feel very uncomfortable when you make negative statements about command as you express that concern. This reboot transition is a confusing time (most transitions are) and as far as I can tell, they are all doing their best. It is just going to take a bit of time to get through the transition. But I have no doubt that in the end, the operations branch will be well taken care of.

-T

Thank you for you input, Teresa.

Some corrections:

I never called UFS Command ignorant...i did said they were ignoring the Operations Branch...and that is unfair.

But ok...I'll give you that Nab chose a terrible time to step down, during a transition making it worse...And now Kermie is also busy with his RL perfectly acceptable...However that doesn't mean that after he left no topic was made...no Acting Branch Commander...and simply let it go on auto pilot.

People comment that Branches are dead...Hell no! I look at other branches and they have some activity....ours has none! Everyone being around with its own head individually....Cadets complaining that the requirements for Ops are too demanding and hard..graduated operations officers quitting...and so on.

Why?...Is it my fault? Did i as part of the Branch decided not to do my part?

I sent my ideas....*shrugs*

I even tried to gather support through Operations chat group to request a meeting with Nabu to discuss Operations issues (which you, if i recall, refused)

*shrugs*

What can i do more for the Branch?

Only this....

Ah you mean discuss issues privatly? IMs?...No no no...I dont do that. It never gets things done..Discussing through IM is not imho discussing...its gossip!

Also...i know i sound harsh...i honestly dont mean to sound this harsh...it is just how it comes out, especially in this case...where everything is being decided on the background...it justs kills any motivation to do something on a Fleet level.

And Teresa...In my opinion you are uncomfortable with any type of criticism taking them personally when, at least in my case anyway, they arent personal...
Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral

I would agree....IF and only IF.....it was really needed for the continued operations of UFS....
People comment that Branches are dead...Hell no! I look at other branches and they have some activity....ours has none! Everyone being around with its own head individually....Cadets complaining that the requirements for Ops are too demanding and hard..graduated operations officers quitting...and so on.
All officers are in a branch.....so they will be dead when all UFS members leave the main group and we close down UFS

Your branch is not dead....there are a lot of Operations Officers.....hence the branch is not dead.....what you mean is: there is no one to control the members of the branch....which is not needed

Requirements......will be only ONE (1) course to graduate (yes...its in its final revision thanks to Rosine)....but of course each CO can set what requirements they want for their officers (including operations officers)...

If I assign a Branch Commander......and I ask...what are your plans then I will get:
- Hold regular meetings in Second Life ..../facepalm
- Roll Calls
- do inspections

and after that it already starts to get harder

we really do not need these things

what I need is a Branch Commander who creates Material and content for the branch

Other then that...I really see no purpose
where everything is being decided on the background
No, its decided by those who are in a position to make decisions....I really dont think a whole company attends manager meetings
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mike Calhoun wrote:
I would agree....IF and only IF.....it was really needed for the continued operations of UFS....
All officers are in a branch.....so they will be dead when all UFS members leave the main group and we close down UFS

Your branch is not dead....there are a lot of Operations Officers.....hence the branch is not dead.....what you mean is: there is no one to control the members of the branch....which is not needed

Requirements......will be only ONE (1) course to graduate (yes...its in its final revision thanks to Rosine)....but of course each CO can set what requirements they want for their officers (including operations officers)...

If I assign a Branch Commander......and I ask...what are your plans then I will get:
- Hold regular meetings in Second Life ..../facepalm
- Roll Calls
- do inspections

and after that it already starts to get harder

we really do not need these things

what I need is a Branch Commander who creates Material and content for the branch

Other then that...I really see no purpose
where everything is being decided on the background
No, its decided by those who are in a position to make decisions....I really dont think a whole company attends manager meetings

What i mean is there is no activity as a Branch, to discuss Branch, to brainstorm...especially about content.

Oh i agree about the content part, for example content about Operations Duties on a Space Station for example....It is a bit different isn't it? You don't have that i know of classes to cover that aspect... Bridge Duty Stations is very ship oriented. A lot of Operations class are ship oriented.

But remember, Submission of Content was always something volunteer of each member, and if i am not mistaken every new class content only goes through Curriculum Dev right? Or the Branch Commander has anything to say? Pre-Reboot i mean. So now that will change

You also are forgetting about Chapter requirements...those are the ones i normally refer to...And you also assume that COs won't ask their COO's about their input on what classes should be required? Wouldn't be better...so to avoid recruiting bloodshed and of course ease up any transfer between Chapters that all the COOs have a meeting and discuss how it's going to be done on their Chapters? I am also including COO's of non-metaverse Chapters that RP...The final decision WILL ALWAYS be of each CO and each Chapter in decides what they want and thats fine but doesn't hurt the Branch Commander promote a meeting and try some uniformity on Chapter Requirements right?

Branch Commander should also...be a moderator when possible...what do i mean by this? All of those that RP Operations are well aware of the usual issues...The Sensor issue...the Probes issue...who does what? There are situations that Star Trek "lore", being an Entertainment TV show were never made clear...but we, that try to Rolelplay an Operations Officer, end up being confused or stomp on other Department/Branches toes...Couldn't a Branch create a "platform" where these issues could be solved? And present it to UFS at least a "Guideline on how to RP Operations?". I use the word "guideline" because it would be just that...a guideline...nothing mandatory....Noone here is stomping on CO authority.

Also...Each Chapter has their own "way of RPing", their own structure...even concerning departments. Some Chapters have a very rigid structure officially...For example...a Communications Officer, Flight Controller, regular Ops...etc. Other Chapters have a more fluid structure...where everyone is simply Operations Officer that execute all Ops related stations and rotate between themselves...Both these situations are valid. I think that the Branch Command needs to study each Chapter Operations department Structure and "unique" style of RP have all that info together and make it available...like a database of sorts. Because sometimes a style...a structure and a specific Ops position in one Chapter will be played differently in another Chapter...and Ops Branch should have knowledge of that and facultate that information cleary to everyone...It is sorta like being an historian and recording each Chapter's Ops related policies and make them all available in one place.

Finally...the hard part......RL Chapters that DONT RP.....that are just for meetings..watch films...On that aspect i really dont have any ideas. Only that a Branch Commander should be available to provide any assistance and help that they might need...content...FAQ...anything. It really depends more on the Chapter's side than on Branch side.

And well...that is it...my "chip" just burned.

:sleeping-drool:
Nabuleone Rhode
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post: Science Officer | USS Monarch
Ship/Station Posted: USS Monarch
Grid: Secondlife

I heard (read) people mention my name , so I want to clarify some points :

Yes, I stepped down as BC in December 2011 and I had darn good (UFS-drama-free) reasons for this decision !
Too bad, if someone overread my numerous forum (IC) Logs and inworld group messages.

Yes, I transfered back to science :dance: - assigned on SS Tranquility

Yes, OPS is still a great branch with the widest variety of possibilities and opportunities. All Operations Officers (should) know that and it depends on themselves to fill this role with activity.

Yes, I had a grateful time in UFS Operations and I wish I had had more time for some exciting projects and activities, which had to be cancelled due various reasons - but thats life.

Yes, based on the new rules of the new handbook, I am sure this branch will be still allive in 2012 ;)

If everyone like to moan about what happend during my time as BC Operations --- no no :naughty: not here .... :pray: :arrow: ...
Talk to me private :violin:
Science Officer

Access Service Jacket

Return to “Operations Branch Archives”