Lets Talk Operations

justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Greeting Everyone.

To those that do not know me, I am an Operations Officer stationed at the USS Aviator-A.

As you are aware, a Reboot of UFS will bring many changes, that will affects us individually and as a Branch.

One of the major changes is that a Chapter CO will decide amongst many things, the requirements for Chapter joining. That means in our case, COs will define and taylor what they want of an Operations Officer.

Now...i do not believe that we, chapter COOs wont have word about, so i think it' s obvious your CO will ask for suggestions/opinions etc.

So hopefully this OP can start a constructive debate about Operations Post-Reboot...Because it is almost December and kinda worries the silence...Actually the silence of our Branch worries me.

I know we have little info in how things in the Academy will work...and that would be fundemental for this debate.

My first question is.....

Who will prepare the post-reboot Operations Officers? ...The Chapters? The Academy on its new form...? Operations Branch?

What do you think the essential requirements for an Operations Officer should be?...College of Operations is actually really complete in my opinion...Perhaps some of current theory classes are valid...Or should we reform everything and start things anew?

Academy Online will return especially to support Non-Metaverse Chapters...What about Operation Officers on RL chapters or Forumverse Chapters?

Should we in the requirements for a chapter concerning our branch have uniformity and suggest our COs for requirement uniformity between Chapters? Or perhaps it should be everyone for themselves?

Finally...just share your opinion and current experience...i am sure all of you have thoughts about this branch, and in my opinion is time to break our Branch's silence and start thinking...and thinking seriously and discussing.
Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Commander-in-Chief UFS
Ship/Station Posted: UF Starfleet Headquarters
Grid: Unknown

Who will prepare the post-reboot Operations Officers? ...The Chapters? The Academy on its new form...? Operations Branch?
No one will "prepare" post reboot Operations or other branch officers for the simple reason that there is nothing to prepare for

Since each chapter will decide what the responsabilities of each person will be its impossible to make a clear line and thus prepare for all officers in any branch

Example:
Chapter X will say "My operations officers are in charge of everything related website, newsletter, etc"
Chapter Y will say "My operations officers are in charge of arranging the monthly activities
Chapter Z who RP's in a metaverse and thus their operations officers RP their position....
and then you have those chapters (most of them actually) who dont assign tasks to branches but to people....for example.....a member joins your crew who is an amazing webdesigner BUT since you assign webdesign to Operations and the guy wants to be an engineer....your stuck without a website....so in most cases its more efficient to keep Star Trek positions pure for the Star Trek feeling and assign work to abilites rather then branch

What do you think the essential requirements for an Operations Officer should be?...
Being a member of UFS.....anything else is pure fictional and doesnt make your member a better member
Should we in the requirements for a chapter concerning our branch have uniformity and suggest our COs for requirement uniformity between Chapters?
Definatly not because there is no level in UFS (neither Fleet nor Sector) that can tell a chapter what to do or how to do things

IF a chapter CO decides course requirements for certain positions then that is fine and up to the individual CO.....
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mike Calhoun wrote:
No one will "prepare" post reboot Operations or other branch officers for the simple reason that there is nothing to prepare for

Since each chapter will decide what the responsabilities of each person will be its impossible to make a clear line and thus prepare for all officers in any branch

Example:
Chapter X will say "My operations officers are in charge of everything related website, newsletter, etc"
Chapter Y will say "My operations officers are in charge of arranging the monthly activities
Chapter Z who RP's in a metaverse and thus their operations officers RP their position....
and then you have those chapters (most of them actually) who dont assign tasks to branches but to people....for example.....a member joins your crew who is an amazing webdesigner BUT since you assign webdesign to Operations and the guy wants to be an engineer....your stuck without a website....so in most cases its more efficient to keep Star Trek positions pure for the Star Trek feeling and assign work to abilites rather then branch

What do you think the essential requirements for an Operations Officer should be?...
Being a member of UFS.....anything else is pure fictional and doesnt make your member a better member
Should we in the requirements for a chapter concerning our branch have uniformity and suggest our COs for requirement uniformity between Chapters?
Definatly not because there is no level in UFS (neither Fleet nor Sector) that can tell a chapter what to do or how to do things

IF a chapter CO decides course requirements for certain positions then that is fine and up to the individual CO.....

Okay...If noone prepares potential members that want to join UFS just to RP so why do we even have an Academy??? Why are classes being prepared?

Why even have the Branch organization?...What will be the point of this subforum?

For now...and that i am aware of, the Chapters you have are strictly metaverse. And discussing an aspect of the metaverse membership, which is still under the UFS "umbrella" won't kill anyone.

The Metaverse members of UFS...or those that ONLY want Metaverse...and thats the majority right now are organized by Branches. On Metaverse you need people to work and to RP.

The Academy and Branches currently have an RP aspect...Forumverse or Metaverse..it's a RP aspect that with the Reboot will CHANGE so much, especially with Metaverse Chapter COs having the same rights as any other Chapter COs...the power to decide in what conditions can an UFS member join their Chapter on a specific Branch to RP that branch!

Chapter Y wants a Webdesigner?...Not all of them! Metaverse Chapters with Reboot or No Reboot will want people to RP, before they even think about setting a Website! I mean...why would a Metaverse Chapter think about making a website...are you going to close UFS Wiki?

You may put everything in the same bag, but even you recognize that a RL Chapter for StarTrek movie watching is VERY DIFFERENT and has DIFFERENT NEEDS of a Metaverse Chapter or a Roleplay-based Chapter.

Once again i repeat myself...Metaverse Chapters arent just OOC...webdesign, activities scheduling, etc are OOC, and in my opinion yes...those are assigned to an individual by the CO, regardless of the Branch.

But when i said "Lets Talk Operations" i meant IC...And it will be very hard for the UFS member that wants to try to RP and likes Star Trek but isnt an expert, something the Academy covers normally, and that's perhaps part of the Academy still being around no? Besides whatever plan you have for it RL to support the RP aspect of UFS, right? So it will not be mandatory anymore, but if you let Metaverse Chapters decide the requirements to be eligible to RP a Bridge Officer, most likely everyone will decide their own but that only brings to this question...How will transfers between Metaverse Chapters handled if each CO can decide requirements? Will the UFS Member be left in a limbo for awhile so he can fufill the requirements asked by the Chapter he is trying to transfer to? OR maybe should the Roleplay Chapters have some sort of, let call it, agreement on what is required to an UFS member to RP Operations or Sciences...etc?
Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Commander-in-Chief UFS
Ship/Station Posted: UF Starfleet Headquarters
Grid: Unknown

why do we even have an Academy??? Why are classes being prepared?
Because the ability to take courses is part of the fun....thats the difference between FORCED academy as to where you have to take set ammount of courses to gain a fictional position (which in my opinion does not make someone a better member or trek fan...)

The academy remains in UFS and will be much more expanded...why? because its a keyfactor of the fun aspect....
- members will take courses because they WANT to
- members will want to take courses because maybe their chapter awards promotion points for that
- members will want to take courses because UFS will award them with awards for it
- members will want to take courses because they are fun
- members will want to take courses because maybe it gets them into Red Squad
For now...and that i am aware of, the Chapters you have are strictly metaverse
Obviously.....since we open the registration for RL chapters in January 2012....but rest asure...there are already many current UFS members planning for one......
metaverse membership, which is still under the UFS "umbrella"
What other umbrella would there be?
it's a RP aspect that with the Reboot will CHANGE so much
I dont agree at all....there is no difference between what you call Metaverse Chapter and RL chapter....

Both pretend to be members of a fictional para military organization...pretending to be on a fictional Starship or station...pretending to have a fictional rank and fictional position.....

The ONLY difference is that our metaverse chapters have a more visualized RP and more indept...obviously also the frequencey is different but that only results in how many times someone calls you by your rank
Metaverse Chapter COs having the same rights as any other Chapter COs
Indeed...I do not think that it would be beneficial to to make a difference between CO's...because at the end of the day...both have the same job....making sure their members are happy
You may put everything in the same bag,
Exactly...and you know why? Because I was the CO of a Metaverse Chapter in an organization with RL chapters...so I know exactly what I am talking about because I have the unique perspective to have actually done it
And it will be very hard for the UFS member that wants to try to RP and likes Star Trek but isnt an expert, something the Academy covers normally, and that's perhaps part of the Academy still being around no?
Never was it said anywhere that there would be no academy nor that the courses would change....Sorry to say...but our academy does in no way make someone a Star Trek expert andI didnt know one even needed to be a Star Trek expert to RP.....If I want to be a Star Trek expert...I will watch Star Trek and read memory alpha for a few years.
How will transfers between Metaverse Chapters handled if each CO can decide requirements?
I dont see the relevance ofthis question....

If ship A has different requirements then ship B and one transfers to ship B...then that person needs to fulfill those requirements.....
If I apply for a RL job.....andI dont have all the requirements then the company gives me the time to meet the requirements...but I am not an employee in limbo.....
agreement on what is required to an UFS member to RP Operations or Sciences...etc?
Impossible to force onto any CO

Return to “Operations Branch Archives”