Initial Proposal for Operations class requirements

Responsible for keeping the ship/station running at peak efficiency but routing power where needed, monitoring deflectors and sensors, and a variety of other things.
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Greetings everyone... I come forward on this thread, open a discussion about what should be the minimum class requirements for our Branch.

My objective is to make it more appealing without being too demanding (especially on the SIM hours).

Also this proposed curriculum will be ONE for all Operations billets with the exception of command ones.

So this is what i propose:

Theory:

* Introduction to UFS Operations (the introductory class currently being rewritten)

* Bridge Duty Stations (this one is a no brainer)

* Flight Controller Theory (important class about Helms and a Station's Flight Controller)

* Subspace Communications (fundamental Class about Subspace Communications)

* Alien Languages 101 (Some linguistic)

* Transporter Certification (remember...Operations Officer is also a consumed technician...and this is well in our area)

* Personal & Intraship Communications (this class will have to return...either this one of SIM Know your Commbadge Class....however P & I focus a bit more on the Star Trek aspect)

* Pre Flight (can't be taught seperatly from Basic Flight)

* Damage Control and Small Craft Engineering (an important class that explains, not only a starships systems where you will be allocating power but also tells something about the various shuttlecrafts)

Pratical/Interactive

* SIM: Operations Officer Training (i could bring this one on a more permanent schedule...the ultimate Ops class in my view)

* Simulation Training (2 Sessions/4 Hours are MORE than enough!)

* Basic Flight

PS.: Eventually more Pratical classes will be added, specific scenarios for Ops training like undocking procedures, away teams procedures and so on

If you become a Chief or Assistant Chief of Ops...the following extra classes are RECOMMENDED:

* Intro to Leadership

* Chain of Command

* Effective Delegation

For me these are the MINIMUM!

Now compare it with the old requirements:

http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... Operations

Major differences:

- Very specific curriculum

- Not billet oriented, instead prepares you for any billet at a ship/station without overloading you with theory classes. Besides you want be Helms always! Sometimes you will need to be Operations Officer, Communications Officer.

- Feasable curriculum since it is more direct and streamlined. Most of the theory classes can be done by email while the Academy doesnt go online.

- No more electives and such...You do all those classes nothing only you have your minimum but you are also certified fresh Ops Officer.

And now...let the discussion begin
Mac Gaelyth
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

I like it. Not as many classes to worry about, concise, to the point. I can't personally think of any 'mandatories' to include.

My only thought though is due to Basic Flight. Some people could have computer issues, and might not be able to participate. Would there be any RP-only equivalent in the works?
Mikael Blessed
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

This is not a suggestion but a menu for your edit and use.

We do not have classes for much of this.
We could.
I am suggesting so I am volunteering to help write them as well if they are adopted.

Idealized Class List for an Operations Officer:

GENERAL OFFICER CLASSES
Administration
Armed Combat
Athletics
Engineering
Medicine
Physical Science: Mathematics
Ranged Combat
Space Science: Astrogation
Survival
Unarmed Combat

Operations Classes
PRIORITY:
System Operations: Computer
System Operations: Life Support/Environmental
System Operations: Ops Stations
System Operations: Emergency Operations

SECONDARY
System Operations: Communications
System Operations: Navigation
System Operations: Vehicles
System Operations: Warp Drive
System Operations: Impulse Drive
System Operations: Security
System Operations: Replicator/Transporter
System Operations: Tractor Beam
System Operations: Sensors
System Operations: Tactical
System Operations: Mission Ops
System Operations: System Diagnostics
System Operations: Medical
System Operations: Personnel
System Operations: Quartermaster
System Operations: Turbolift
System Operations: Holographic
System Operations: Yeoman
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

I need to make something clear:

This proposal was made with the following in mind:

* Use of the current available classes by the Academy

* Streamline it as opposed to the previous requirements that in my opinion had so many classes that it would be impossible to an Ops officer "feel" that they were finally a certified Ops officer...because there was always another mandatory escaping....or Elective.

* I also said that i intend to try cover some of the "Holes" this curriculum may have with more SIM RP classes, specific scenarios (like Helmsman protocols was but less text and more interesting, hopefully).

Overall i am trying for that curriculum to serve as a support to the roleplay.

For those saying that it needs to me broader....like having some Sciences classes and Engineering:

Engineering classes already there are two....the ones i think are most useful of all the College of Engineering for us Operations.

As for Sciences...the classes i feel that would matter are not currently being taught.

Finally...i need to adapt it to the current reality of UFS (it's tradition concerning Ops...which isnt the same on Star Trek episodes) and to the current UFSA reality.

Also...see this list as a minimum!...Nothing stops a new Ops officer, after taking these classes...to specialize in another area...like Sciences. All they need is to take more classes that will allow them to taylor their character and have fun.
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Mikael Blessed wrote:This is not a suggestion but a menu for your edit and use.

We do not have classes for much of this.
We could.
I am suggesting so I am volunteering to help write them as well if they are adopted.

Idealized Class List for an Operations Officer:

GENERAL OFFICER CLASSES
Administration
Armed Combat
Athletics
Engineering
Medicine
Physical Science: Mathematics (i am curious about this one...)
Ranged Combat
Space Science: Astrogation (there is a class about this, but noone is teaching it unfortunatly or it would be on my list.)
Survival
Unarmed Combat

Operations Classes
PRIORITY:
System Operations: Computer
System Operations: Life Support/Environmental
System Operations: Ops Stations
System Operations: Emergency Operations

SECONDARY
System Operations: Communications
System Operations: Navigation
System Operations: Vehicles
System Operations: Warp Drive
System Operations: Impulse Drive
System Operations: Security
System Operations: Replicator/Transporter
System Operations: Tractor Beam
System Operations: Sensors
System Operations: Tactical
System Operations: Mission Ops
System Operations: System Diagnostics
System Operations: Medical
System Operations: Personnel
System Operations: Quartermaster
System Operations: Turbolift
System Operations: Holographic
System Operations: Yeoman

I need all of those classes....but not on a theory format but on a interactive RP format.

Some of the theory classes mention your suggestions but very lightly. However having more practical classes of develop a certain subject could make it more interesting without boring Officers with more theory.

I have highlighted those that would be interesting as a start.
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Ok everyone....last final 24 hours stretch

In 24 hours i need to put these requirements in Hidalgo's "desk" (i think he means his virtual desk?)

So this will be like marriage....If you have something to say ...say it now...because i wont be changing this always!

To Astraios:

As for the Basic Flight classes..i dont think there will be a problem with Astraios's grid not having flight scripts therefore having an exception for the class...

However Simulator Training classes and SIM: Operations Officer Training is not debatable...If you need me to teach this last one...all you need is to schedule it with me and i will pop in at Astraios to teach it.

i will however add another important class i was forgetting:

Stellar Cartography 101

All Ops (sensors) and Helms needs to know their Stellar Cartography.
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

FINAL VERSION (you have from now 24 hours to suggest differently)

Theory:

* Introduction to UFS Operations (the introductory class currently being rewritten)

* Bridge Duty Stations (this one is a no brainer)

* Flight Controller Theory (important class about Helms and a Station's Flight Controller)

* Subspace Communications (fundamental Class about Subspace Communications)

* Alien Languages 101 (Some linguistic)

* Transporter Certification (remember...Operations Officer is also a consumed technician...and this is well in our area)

* Personal & Intraship Communications (this class will have to return...either this one of SIM Know your Commbadge Class....however P & I focus a bit more on the Star Trek aspect)

* Pre Flight (can't be taught seperatly from Basic Flight)

* Damage Control and Small Craft Engineering (an important class that explains, not only a starships systems where you will be allocating power but also tells something about the various shuttlecrafts)

* Stellar Cartopgraphy 101

Pratical/Interactive

* SIM: Operations Officer Training (i could bring this one on a more permanent schedule...the ultimate Ops class in my view)

* Simulation Training (2 Sessions/4 Hours are MORE than enough!)

* Basic Flight

PS.: Eventually more Pratical classes will be added, specific scenarios for Ops training like undocking procedures, away teams procedures and so on

If you become a Chief or Assistant Chief of Ops...the following extra classes are RECOMMENDED:

* Intro to Leadership

* Chain of Command

* Effective Delegation
Teresa Firelight
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian
Duty Post:
Ship/Station Posted: Unknown
Grid: Unknown

I would recommend adding SIM: Bridge Teamwork to the list.. it is the "how to RP" class and in my opinion is one of the most valuable from the SIM dept.
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Teresa Firelight wrote:I would recommend adding SIM: Bridge Teamwork to the list.. it is the "how to RP" class and in my opinion is one of the most valuable from the SIM dept.

Thats a good suggestion too and i would add it too...however one of the thoughts i had when comming up with this list was also thinking on the Academy's capacity to teach those classes....

To put it simple...Do we have Instructors to teach this class (and others that i cut from the initial curriculum) for long term period?

The answer is no.

I know that i have enough time to teach Simulator Training and SIM: Operations Officer Training on a permanent schedule...but that does not leave me time for SIM: Bridge teamwork.

If someone brings SIM: Bridge Teamwork to the schedule on a permanent timeframe...i will considering adding it...otherwise no.

Finally i don't want it to make Operations curriculum really heavy on classes...considering that in the future more fully pratical classes/scenario simulation might get added to the curriculum that will cover that RP aspect of SIM Bridge teamwork, though more oriented to Operations.

Return to “Operations Branch”