Intro to UFS Operations - Revision Discussion

Responsible for keeping the ship/station running at peak efficiency but routing power where needed, monitoring deflectors and sensors, and a variety of other things.
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

As you all are aware, Introduction to Operations class has become literary "crippled" after the Reboot, and therefore an update is urgent.

One of the problems with the class now, is that it focus a lot on a structure that does not exist anymore...The Operations Branch Divisions.

Fleet Operations, Logistics and Communications and the current positions that came with that structure are right now inactive...Admiral orders, which are quite understandable considering what it is expected of a BC these days.

Now...the Academy has the responsibility to declare a class inactive or active, not the BC. However a class is only declared Active or Inactive if it has someone to teach it or not...which isn't the case of the Intro to Ops. There are still Instructors teaching it. So while the new one is being done, according to the Academy Command, the old Intro to Ops will still be taught.

I myself am considering stopping teaching it because there is no point in after a class saying the following: "Oh....what you just learned here?? It is not exactly like this anymore so forget a big part of it!"....and then carry on explaining the major differences. I obviously don't say it exactly like this...i add the apology for the class not being updated yet because it is my responsibility to do it and i haven't done it yet. :)

So it is time to update the class and while thinking on what it should be and what structure...i suggest these as the following general points the class should focus on:

1. Brief Explanation and History about the Operations Division in Star Trek

2. Brief History and explanation about Operations Division in UFS (all the changes the Branch had along the years and other noteworthy information but always respecting the rule about the referral of current active UFS officers that had direct influence on the Branch...i know it can be done if told in a Historian perspective. This part also includes the operations branch commander duty.)

3. Duties of the Operations Officer (a more detail explanation of the different billets without being too long, roleplay part)

4. Academic Curriculum - College Of Operations (THIS IS NOT STATING REQUIREMENTS! THOSE ARE CHAPTERS RESPONSIBILITY...This topic is a simple mention on the various classes useful for an Operations officer and a brief explanation of them)

5. Chapters Area (Now this part is the one i will need help of you all COOs...I want the final part of the class to be a small description of what does YOUR CHAPTER expects of an Operations Officer...This part is normally described on your Chapter's SOPs on the Operations Branch Section. i hope you could eventually send me this as a ...summary. Of course you can mention the classes you require but what i am looking for is for you, COOs or COs that do not have a COO yet, to be clear on what you expect an Ops Officer to be on your chapter and any specific unique policy your chapter might have concerning Ops.)

This final topic only concern COMMISSIONED CHAPTERS!...By that i mean chapter that went through the whole ordeal. As soon a new chapter finally gets commissioned and stable...the class will be updated and hopefully it wont become too long

Thats why i prefer making it at start a 20 minutes lecture so that there is enough margin maneuver for future updates.

Now i ask you all....what do you think....what do you disagree...what am i missing here?

Speak your mind please :)
kiefer eales
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

given the fact that from my understanding people that go to the academy will most likely already have a chapter. most people will already be aware of what is expected of them as an ops officer in that chapter. plus seems like that is something that can evolve overtime. so i dont think i would worry with number 5.

3 and 4 i think you could pretty much merge into one.
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

kiefer eales wrote:given the fact that from my understanding people that go to the academy will most likely already have a chapter. most people will already be aware of what is expected of them as an ops officer in that chapter. plus seems like that is something that can evolve overtime. so i dont think i would worry with number 5.

3 and 4 i think you could pretty much merge into one.

Yes..3 and 4 can be one...

As for topic 5...i really thought about it...I would like the class to explain a bit what is the diversity of the new Chapter systems , their differences. Actually not all join a Chapter automatically...there are some that take some time picking up a chapter...for example, they know they want Operations...they just don't know where and how.

I dont want the class to be "alien" to the chapter concept...i want it to have a certain connection to the chapters themselves...however i know that it might be hard.
Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Commander-in-Chief UFS
Ship/Station Posted: UF Starfleet Headquarters
Grid: Unknown

Now i ask you all....what do you think....what do you disagree...what am i missing here?
5. Chapters Area (Now this part is the one i will need help of you all COOs...I want the final part of the class to be a small description of what does YOUR CHAPTER expects of an Operations Officer...This part is normally described on your Chapter's SOPs on the Operations Branch Section. i hope you could eventually send me this as a ...summary. Of course you can mention the classes you require but what i am looking for is for you, COOs or COs that do not have a COO yet, to be clear on what you expect an Ops Officer to be on your chapter and any specific unique policy your chapter might have concerning Ops.)
Since there is no set duties for an ops officer (or any branch) you cant work them into the course

For instance

chapter A might assign creating a website to Ops, while chapter B might put Ops in charge of setting up the monthly meetings...

Fact is...each chapter will assign duties to their people depending on what THEY want to do....not what Ops is supposed to do

If I have an awesome webdesigner on my chapter who happens to be totally into Crusher (Beverly) and thus wants to be a medical officer but unfortunatly my chapter assigns the website toOps.....I would be a bad commander if I forced that guy to go from medical to ops or refuse to have him do the website

Bottom line is...you cannot put in a course what YOU think should happen

All courses in the academy are fictional except the ones that deal with UFS as a group (OCTS etc) so lets just keep it that way
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Posting Miles opinion with permission since this subforum is restricted to Ops.

MilesPrower Dagger wrote:Subject: Intro to UFS Operations - Revision Discussion

2. Brief History and explanation about Operations Division in UFS (all the changes the Branch had along the years and other noteworthy information but always respecting the rule about the referral of current active UFS officers that had direct influence on the Branch...i know it can be done if told in a Historian perspective. This part also includes the operations branch commander duty.)

These have become 2 very different things. Starfleet Operations and UFS Ops really have nothing in common anymore. This is not meant to be mean, just a fact. Seems rather useless to Operations officers.

3. Duties of the Operations Officer (a more detail explanation of the different billets without being too long, roleplay part)

This would actually be awesome and could make up a whole class in itself because so few really know what Ops is.

4. Academic Curriculum - College Of Operations (THIS IS NOT STATING REQUIREMENTS! THOSE ARE CHAPTERS RESPONSIBILITY...This topic is a simple mention on the various classes useful for an Operations officer and a brief explanation of them)

I recommend against this because it means you would need to update it every time a new class comes out or one is archived.

This can be worked with number 3 to become a "Operations in UFS" or something. Would be an awesome class I think.
[/quote]
Rich Lombardia
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Pinastri HQ
Grid: Second Life

Sounds like a steps 1-4 are a good direction to go. number 5 seems like a nightmare due to the fact that as UFS continues to grow you will simply have to alter the class each time to include the new chapter's duties and eventually extend the class making it longer and longer. If you really want something similar to step five then I suggest you generalize instead of be specific. Still have the various COs tell you what their expectation are for their Ops personal and then use step five to talk about the flexibility that an Ops officer can have depending on the Chapter they belong too. For example "The duty of an Operations Officer can vary chapter by chapter. An example of the variety of duties include *list a few of the important ones*. Make sure you check with your chapter CO to make sure you understand what is expected of you." This way you still get the point across about the variety this position can have but don't do each Cos job for them in explaining specifics.

"Fear of failure is the greatest hurdle to achieving success." - Rich Lombardia

Access Service Jacket
Mike Calhoun
Command - Fleet Admiral
Command - Fleet Admiral
Duty Post: Commander-in-Chief UFS
Ship/Station Posted: UF Starfleet Headquarters
Grid: Unknown

YES, thats what you need to do...create Fictional Star Trek courses
2. Brief History and explanation about Operations Division in UFS
Why?
3. Duties of the Operations Officer
If and ONLY if your talking about duties of Operations Officer in the Star Trek Television show
4. Academic Curriculum - College Of Operations
Impossible....Your going from the fact that every chapter is a RolePlay chapter
This can be worked with number 3 to become a "Operations in UFS" or something. Would be an awesome class I think.
Impossible because again your going from the fact that all chapters are RP

You need to make a real difference between the FICTIONAL part of the academy, IE courses that will contain fictional information about a TV show called Star Trek

AND

Courses that will have information in it about UFS, the Fan Organization and its working be it Fleet, Sector or Chapter......those courses all will be grouped into the Command College

Dont start to mingle both....Keep the fun part away from the Business end of the group
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Posting T'rennek's Opinion on the matter.

Thank you for the input.

Trennek Yuitza wrote:Alberto

Just some thoughts on your proposed Intro to Ops class, as I can't post on the thread (feel free to post this if it helps).

Your problem is one shared by every branch in UFS as the reboot has made all Intro classes somewhat irrelevant in their current format. Hats off to you for being the first to acknowledge this and seek to do something about it.

In my view, I would steer clear of writing about the structure of UFS Operations with the excpetion of maybe covering the historical aspect of the branch and some of it's key contributors (Zed Drebin, Taylorholic Durant et al.)

Personally, I would make the class 100% Star Trek focussed and about exactly what it says on the tin... "Introduction to the Operations Branch"

I would cover it's history from the days when it incorporated Engineering and Security (some future UFS Chapters may well be set in the 22nd/23rd century's so this would be invaluable to them) through to it's more specific 'present day' incarnation.

I would also cover the roles and duties of the ops officer and how to rp that role.

Some wiki pages I wrote some time ago that might prove useful.....

http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... %26_Duties

http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... %26_Duties

http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... Operations

http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... ht_Control

Best of luck

T'Renn
justalt02 Resident
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Thank you for those of you making your contribution.

Due to multi-tasking i only gave a quick browse on your answers...though i will answer after some more opinions and and a more attentive reading through all of them.

I regret i didnt put this on the general or Academy subforum, but at first i was thinking "Ops" (because i really want to hear them) and so i posted here.
Mikael Blessed
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Subject to the Admiral's vision for UFS (which like all organizations, must come first), I would like to recommend the following:
1) Purely in character Operations classes based on the series and options from non-cannon sources (novels, comics, etc.)
2) Out-of-character classes on options available to the various chapter for what an operations officer MIGHT be able to do in their organization. This gives member chapters options, a training option for members that is practical and creates ideas for further participation in UFS for all chapters (as they share new ideas, options, possibilities for activities for members to do).

OOC classes would have to be in the form of workshops, separate from any academy (That is an in-character organization and always has been, and it's believability would suffer to change that, which would be a pity).

They would have to be at places and times appropriate to UFS policy.
They might include other divisions (if interested) or be totally outside of division lines, such as:

1) RP skills and styles.
2) How to organize your chapter; ideas for your use.
3) How does our chapter fit into UFS as a whole?
4) Recruiting for UFS; How do I increase membership in my chapter?
5) Where can I find information about Trek? Resources and materials.

Etc.

Some of these (Admiral, as always, your comments will always be supported by me, even if I disagree on principle; because one principle does NOT make a good organization) may not work, and all such ideas must fit within the Admiral's vision, and yours, as head of the division.

I hope some of these are of use. In addition, if any are, I am volunteering for helping with them. If not used, I hope they prompt better ideas that will better serve UFS, and would happily help to develop those ideas with their creators.

Keep creating, folks. Activity begets activity.

Return to “Operations Branch”