Stardate 170402: A Crisis At Astraios

Orders direct from UF Starfleet Command.
Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Chief, UF Starfleet Operations
Ship/Station Posted:
Grid: Second Life

On Sunday, April 2, at 10 AM Grid Time, Astraios will suffer a major crisis. What will have caused it? Is it a natural phenomenon? Are we suffering from another attack? But before we can start to unravel what has happened, we will need to save Astraios Colony, if we can, from the impending danger! We will also need to deal with damage to the Colony and potentially the station, as well as the injured.

If you would like to take part as part of the rescue teams, or take part as an injured NPC, or if you are a ship/station CO who wants to coordinate participation, please reach out to Kinney Randt or Nora Gerhadsen.

ALL OF UFS is invited to come to Third Rock Grid and participate! This is the kick-off to a new Task Force, so come on over and show your UFS colors!

DIRECTIONS FOR GETTING TO THIRD ROCK GRID

1. If you do not yet have an account on Third Rock Grid, you will need to make one. Go to this page

http://3rdrockgrid.com/new/get-started/

And follow the directions there. Please take the same name in Third Rock that you use for your UFS character in SL (if you are an SL UFS member).

2. Download the viewer or get Firestorm to get you there

If you have Firestorm for OpenGrid, you can just use that to get to Third Rock. It also works with SL.

3. Log in!

You will start as a regular avatar (under either the 'Dick' or 'Jane' template -- whichever you chose in Step 1) in a Welcome Area. You will be able to pick up a bunch of freebies in the Welcome Area; when you are satisfied with your stuff, it's now time to get into the UFS group on Third Rock and get your uniform. Please send an IM to one of the following:

Genny7 Markus
David7 Bravin
Dolfke Barbosa
Karl Quar

And they will be happy to invite you into the group and show you where the Astraios Supply Deck is.

OR: you can always hypergrid from other OpenGrid locations, such as DigiWorldz or others.

And then you're ready for April 2!

To Boldly Go -- UFS! Le'ts make this an event to remember.

In Service,
Captain Nora Gerhadsen
Vice Chief of UF Starfleet Operations
CO, USS Maxwell
Karl Quar
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

All right sir ;)
Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:

We'll be getting underway in only a few days, this Sunday!

Please use this thread to post your RP logs for the Astraios event. All participants in this event are eligible for a ribbon for this Task Force, but you will need to post a log here to document your involvement.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Kat Anjar, R.N.
Medical Log
Stardate 170402
==============

As part of my regular duties for the Majel Community Hospital of Astraios Colony, I undertake home visitation of patients who do not require acute care. The philosophy is that, when possible, an outpatient should be treated in their home where they are most comfortable both physically and emotionally. In my view this speeds healing but also allows a medical practitioner to see into the lives of their patients in a unique way. In my rounds I begin to realize, perhaps, the stairs of this porch are in need of repair and could cause further injury, or that the placement of certain items in a patient's kitchen might cause them to stretch or lift, aggravating their condition. I try then, gently and supportively, to encourage those changes that might best support recovery. In addition - and I suppose this is a little selfish - I get to make friends with patient and family, and feel then, more part of this lovely community.

One of the legacies of now Commodore Poison Toocool is the 'House of Healing' she established on her land. Surrounded by gardens and a short walk from the hospital, it's a perfect place for those patients who need daily care but don't need to take a hospital bed. I had just finished a morning visit to Mr Sam Shinco, and was beginning a walk back to Majel to file my reports, when I heard a distant sound. I turned to look, and soon afterwards I saw smoke. Some kind of explosion?

I lifted my paw to tap my combadge when suddenly there were orders to report to triage at Montgomery or at the hospital. As I had experience in emergency, I ran over to the Engineering Facility. I felt very confused for a moment, as there was much shouting but then I realized there was a centre of calm, for I saw Doctor Lane and he was issuing instructions. With a wave of relief I reported to him.

He asked me to assist in triage and so it began. Patient after patient, some lightly injured, some more so. It was determined that there was indeed a fire. We set up an area for burn patients inside one of the engineering buildings, sent the urgent surgical patients to Majel, and treated the lighter injured wherever we could. There were quite a few patients. Of greatest concern were the victims of the fire. We swiftly began to run out of space.

A patient who had been crushed under a shuttle came in. He was not looking very good. He was hyperventilating. Dr Lane ordered 5ccs Netinaline, but even as we treated this one, five more came in. I was forced to get back to triage. We didn't have enough interns or medical staff to provide instant care. All we could do was send the reds to Majel, place the yellows along the wall after they received an exam and something to help them stablilize, and the greens, they got a blanket, something to drink, and a few kind words when we could spare them.

When the flow of patients finally slowed down I began to go from bed to bed in the Yellow section and take the time to treat each one if I could, or recommend the Doctor have a look. Those with light burns and broken bones I could easily make comfortable. Others needed more help. We even had a cardiac arrest to deal with. The hardest for me was pointing out where the deceased should be placed pending proper procedures. The best we could do was use the core of the Engineering platform as a temporary morgue. The weather was somewhat cool and we replicated blankets to cover them. Later, someone would have to identify each one and inform the next of kin. A sad, sad duty.

I have informed the Caitian Embassy I will need to be excused from my duties there for the next few days. I wish to offer my services to Majel Hospital as it deals with the situation.

The reasons for this devastating incident have not been identified at this time. I hope the cause is found and preparations made so such a terrible thing doesn't happen again.

In service,
Kat Anjar
Medical Adjunct, Caitian Embassy, Astraios
Visiting Nurse, Majel Community Hospital, Astraios

=^=
Karl Quar
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Engineering was in the core of the unexpected shock wave we got this Sunday, devastating an important part of the Astraios colony : Varish region. First we extinguished the fires. A dismantled shuttle goes into flames because of the destruction of one of his motors, and fires occurred in the building in construction. I guess these fires were due to some gas conduits breaking into the base of the building. We then, used lifting gears to free some injured people from huge debris ... The rescuers were then able to care of the various hitten people. At first sight we have several deaths we gathered into the first aid and triage outpost the doctors have settled at the near Montgemery region, into the engineering facility. Doctors are bringing all injured appropriate cares, following their different states. People needing surgical interventions have been sent to Majel Hospital. We hope as many as possible will recover ... I think it will take time for some people ! Engineering strugled to restablish some urgent systems in Montgomery, regarding the necessity to bring cares : ventilation inside the first aid post and energy providing were rapidly repaired !

From the engineering point of view, all the Varish buildings are devastated, big trees have been uprooted, debris everywhere are still dangerous. We have no other choice than clean the ground, then to rebuild completely the region ! Damages in the engineering facility are fortunately light. Nothing we can't repair quickly.

I just wonder the reason why we get this violent shock wave from space ... Is it a natural accident ? Which one ? Is it an attack and, in this case, from who ? At the moment, the Science team is investigating the matter and let's hope they will be able to answer to all our questions ... Once again, Starfleet was badly hiten, but we faced the situation as good as it was possible to do !

Congrats and many thanks to all the people who helped us, and will continue to help us.

I am presenting my sincere condolences to the families of the victims.

May the great computer assist us ...

Fleet Captain Karl Quar
Second Officer
Chief Engineer
Astraios Colony (3rd Rock Grid)

in service
David7 Bravin
Science - Commodore
Science - Commodore
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Starbase UFS Astraios

Reporting: "A Crisis at Astraios"
Rank/Name: Capt David7 Bravin
Position: Exec Officer - SS Astraios
Stardate: 170402

Log Entry:
All was peaceful on Astraios Prime - when suddenly and without warning, the planet was hit by a shock wave from space, causing severe damage to structures, buildings and services, resulting in death and heavy casualties.

Although on the far side of the planet, the Astraios Colony did not escape the effects of the shock wave, with the Varish Region being the most affected.

Established emergency protocols were put in place, with all hands from SS Astraios assisting in the search and rescue operation on Varish Region and in setting up and manning a First Aid Post and Field Hospital in the adjoining Montgomery Region.

The impact of the shock wave on Varish Region had caused buildings to collapse and trees to be uprooted, resulting in many deaths and casualties - including those that had been flying above the Region in a shuttlecraft at the time. Fires subsequently broke out, causing those trapped to receive severe burns.

Those rescued were taken to the First Aid Post for triage, before being moved to the Field Hospital for treatment. Those with more serious injuries were taken by shuttlecraft to the Colony Hospital on Majel Region.

Further information now needs to be obtain about the shock wave that hit the planet ........to establish if it was a natural phenomenon or artificial and why it had not been detected in time for a warning to be given and the planetary shield turned on.

=A=
David7 Bravin
Science - Commodore
Science - Commodore
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Starbase UFS Astraios

PHOTOS OF "A CRISIS AT ASTRAIOS" CAN BE VIEWED AT viewtopic.php?f=509&p=197882#p197882

Capt David7 Bravin
Astraios Alpha Company Graduate 110830
Access Service Jacket
Genny7 Markus
Tribble
Duty Post: Commanding Officer, SS Astraio
Ship/Station Posted: SS Astraios

Reporting: "Crisis at Astraios"
Rank/Name: Captain Genny7 Markus
Position: Mission Leader

Log Entry:

A cry for help was sent out to any other UFS ships were in the area of Astraios Prime, the planet had been hit by a shock wave from space before the planetary shield could be raised. Officers arrived from the USS Veracruz and USS Maxwell and we met them in the welcome centre of the academy building. I explained to them that the area we had been hit by the shock wave was Varish region and that we would be conducting a search and rescue mission.
A triage centre had been set up on the neighbouring region of Montgomery and the teaching hospital was on standby on Majel.
Everyone rushed to the area and began the job of finding the injured and taking them to the triage centre, there were fires to put out as well as debris to move so that the injured could be moved. We had several shuttle craft that had crushed and engineers worked to get the people out.
It was some hours before the area was clear of injured people and the fires were out, now I had to go and talk to the doctors and nurses to hear the grim news of the people hurt and dead. While leaving our science officers to work out what had hit us.

=A=
Flip Thatcher
Sciences - Lt Commander
Sciences - Lt Commander
Ship/Station Posted: SS Astraios

Reporting: "A Crisis at Astraios"
Rank/Name: Lt Cmdr Flip Thatcher
Position: Chief Science Officer - SS Astraios

Log Entry:
Astraois suffered significant fatalities, major casualties, major infrastructure damage as well as a loss of primary services in all populated areas in the vicinity of the Varish Region as the result of a recent catastrophic shock wave. The sensor readings were recording unprecedented levels planet-wide with significant effects in all surrounding Regions. SS Astraios Search and Rescue was activated immediately with teams deployed to Varish for rescue and extraction to Montgomery Field Hospital.

I was on the ground in Varish Region taking tricorder readings for life signs inside a large public building. Several persons were trapped in the debris and the environment was still highly unstable. It was at this point that the overhead material broke loose from the ceiling and supporting rafters. I called out a warning to rescue teams nearby but was briefly knocked unconscious in a secondary debris fall. When I came through, I was in transport to the First Aid Station in Montgomery. My injuries were actually quite minor so that I could resume light duty work at the aid station for the remainder of the operational period.

Since the incident I have been in collaboration with various Astraios science labs to review sensor findings on this devastating event. The initial data collected was quite vast and their is optimism within the scientific community that mitigative geological engineering efforts could help prepare the Colony in the event of a future incident. This discussion is highly speculative at this early stage and further studies will be required.

In service,
Lt Cmdr Flip Thatcher
Chief Science Officer SS Astraios

=A=
Commander Flip Thatcher
Chief Science Officer | SS Astraios
:federation:
Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:

STARFLEET COMMAND TO ALL SHIPS IN THE DELTA AND GAMMA QUADRANTS

Task Force Ironforge is hereby constituted. All ships in the Gamma and Delta Quadrants are herewith requested and required to proceed to line of coordinates to be sent under separate cover to assist in the survey of potential spacetime rifts along this corridor, and for containment of damage due to radiation emitted from these rifts. The source of the radiation is at this time unknown. Additionally, elements of Task Force Ironforge are to patrol the Telos Sector to find a missing Annari research vessel and to interrogate the Annari scientists there or, if necessary, on the Annari homeworld.

The designated Task Force Commander for Ironforge is Captain Nora Gerhadsen of USS Maxwell. Direct all questions to her.

FINDINGS

The rift at Astraios matches a series of rifts between the Maraynia and Telos Sectors in types of radiation emitted and in general form. All of these rifts form a straight line across the galaxy. The likelihood is large that there are rifts all along the 75,000 light year-long expanse. Vessels equipped with Quantum Slipstream Drive are particularly required to travel the line and search for more rifts, and well as to attempt to ascertain the source of the radiation emitted from the rifts.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre

===EXTERNAL MESSAGE===

USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT
VESTA CLASS NCC 780304
STARDATE 170503

TO:
STARFLEET HEADQUARTERS
PINASTRI COLONY
ATTN: CHIEF OF STARFLEET OPERATIONS

TASKFORCE IRONFORGE
USS MAXWELL
ATTN: CAPTAIN NORA GERHADSEN

SITUATION REPORT:

USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT POSITION SECTOR 002C
BETULA PENULA 80LY COREWARD PINASTRI
ARRIVAL 170503.12

SHIP'S STATUS - YELLOW

SUBJECT OF MISSION: Durant recieved distress call upon approach Jarleth System two days ago. Source: Betula.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: excessive gravimetric radiation and gravimetric distortion detected in vacinity of planetary system located on border of Sector 002C and 002D. Investigating cause.

Indigenous population Betula V suffer radiation burns. We are assisting.

FURTHER DATA TO FOLLOW.

SIGNED
POISON TOOCOOL
COMMANDING
USS TAYLORHOLIC DURANT
NCC 780304

===MESSAGE END===
Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:

Stardate: 20170512
Mission: Investigate Project Ironforge

Background Information:
A few days ago While searching for a mystery Annari Vessel we encountered elusive radiation bursts in the area along with jumbled and possibly hacked transmissions from our Relay station in the Telos Sector

After analysis It was clear that transmissions in that sector were being intentionally intercepted it is my opinion after the first round of analysis, that this was was most likely the Annari interfering with our ability to retrieve any reports and scans that may reveal something that they are trying to hide ie their involvement in this whole radiation debacle

Unknown at this time:
◈What technology were they using to block transmissions. Was it indeed the Annari causing the Hack (for lack of a better term.)
◈Were they attempting to pull info from us as well as trying to block whatever was coming in? if so can we assume that it was most likely to determine what we know so far?

We’ve found no sign of the ship nor the Annari the Captain has ordered that we head directly for Annar Prime

=======
We were able to connect with an operative on or near Annar prime that put us in touch with an Asset/Informant thought to have detailed information regarding the Annari’s involvement in the rifts of radiation .

The information provided merely touches the surface and is not entirely official but it definitely sheds light on some of what we have suspected

Meeting:
Very Public & Crowded Cantina possibly on a way station:
Interrogation method used: Social Interaction/Mood Analysis

Asset:
Annari Female Moniker unknown potentially a former Annari scientist

Confirmed:
Annari Definitely involved and are directly the cause of the ribbon of anti-thoron radiation that caused the space time rupture and continues to interrupt and plague Astraios and an extremely wide range of Space .
Seems that a prototype /vessel was used in the testing of a New hyper drive. That went terribly wrong [via humanoid error] and exploded causing and the Rift

Ironforge: the name of the project not developed nor designed as a weapon

I was able to ascertain that through their testing they were able to find a way to use a "controlled, continuous isolytic burst to slice through subspace'. (I'm no scientist but anything “slicing through subspace” sounds everything but harmless to me )

Conjecture:
The opinion of this particular scientist and I believe the team behind this testing; is that this hyper drive was secured and harmless developed strictly as a means for quicker travel- a threat to no one ...not an intentional threat anyway

it is my opinion/assessment that the ex scientist may need protection from the empire if they indeed wish to keep their "involvement" a secret based on our abrupt dealings with them in the past I don’t see the officially owning up to this or admitting their mistakes.

Unknowns:
◈ When, Why and how were the Annari testing in the Alpha quadrant (Per the asset thit all started there)
◈What were they doing anywhere near Astraios in the first place
◈More Information & Details on the Project/Vessel itself:
Spec Analysis of the "Vessel
◈Are there survivors from the ship that blew up or from the team working on the New hyper drive
◈ Quantity (was this ship the only one a prototype?) and location of additional Vessels /team members and verification of their existence

on the Subject/Asset:
◈Her intentions and motivation for providing this information
◈Consequences of her actions
◈What her direct involvement was with this testing?

Conjecture: Due to the intimate knowledge provide on the nature of the beam and etc I have to believe that she was there during the inception of the planning

==
I’d like to consider this a preliminary report as I may have the opportunity to delve further into the facts once I get the opportunity to speak with the scientist again (our conversation was cut a little short due to um let’s say minor medical reasons) and continue to uncover the information from the infected transmissions . It is also my hope to get science team involved to analyze the information from this report and potentially speak with the Annari scientist in a language she can understand. Thus providing us with answers to some of the current unknowns who knows maybe we can do something to reverse or patch the rift and its path.

===End of Report===
HoneyGlaze Delicioso
Chief of Intel | UFS Intelligence
USS Thunderbird
DeliciousHoneyGlaze@Gmail.com
kristoff jameson
Security - Commander
Security - Commander
Duty Post: Security Chief | USS Veracruz
Ship/Station Posted: Unknown
Grid: Unknown

Kris sighed as he plopped down on the couch in his office exhuasted. A bottle of anoorian whiskey in his hand he looked up at it and took a deep swig mumbling,"Well that happended" he said reflecting his mind going back to the accident at Aristatios the people he saved and helped how were they recovering would they curse the inventors of the warp drive or weapons ot whatever it was Kris just knew he needed some time to decompress and make plans for the next phase and aftermath walking over to this desk he checked a stash for spice, none left from the UC work "Well....no qausi legal substance in the ship anyway" he said to himself as he poured a shot of the ale into a well work coffee cup and put on a set of headphones before walking back to the couch and laying down. "Maybe a date night with Vulpina and video games...see what that does" kris just smiled and chuckled as Voodoo Child started up. "Brother Jimmi take me away"
50% pargon 40% renegade 10% Madman Theme song: Laughing at U [
Nora Gerhadsen
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Ship/Station Posted:

=============================================
United Federation Starfleet
Task Force Ironforge
=A= Commanding Officer's Log =A=
Captain Nora Gerhadsen recording

Stardate: 170518

Location: Enroute to Pinastri from The "Ironforge Star," Sector 005E

Alert Status: green

Task Force Ironforge has successfully closed the Annari hyper-warp conduit. The Ironforge Star went nova shortly after the rift was closed, but will not be going supernova anytime soon. The closure of the conduit means that the region around it has been rendered safe. A large fraction of the ships in Task Force Ironforge were damaged during their time in proximity to the rift and the various energetic structures around it. Three were destroyed.

The problem and how it came about

Intelligence from USS Thunderbird indicated that the Annari "Project Ironforge" was indeed a hyper-warp project. The Annari high-speed design uses a controlled isolytic burst to 'cut' a conduit through subspace. The vessel then uses regular warp along the conduit. The speeds attained are very high, but not precisely known. The conduit later 'anneals,' or closes, leading the Annari to believe that this would represent a safe method for quick traversal of large distances. For the maiden voyage of this new drive, the Annari science team chose on a course between the Telos Sector, close to Pinastri, and Astraios in the Gamma Quadrant. Apparently the reasoning was that if there were problems, they would likely occur at either end of the conduit, where Starfleet help was close at hand.

When the Annari hyper-warp ship embarked on their voyage, they apparently had a faulty star map which included the wrong position for the O-type blue giant star that came to be dubbed the "Ironforge Star." The ship passed within a stellar radius of the Ironforge Star. The proximity of the conduit resulted in photospheric material being drawn off of the star, and filling the conduit. An accretion disk formed around the rift as the star overflowed the resulting Roche Lobe. The resulting environment was a perfect region in which to accelerate ultra-high-energy cosmic rays and to generate very large amounts of gamma and epsilon radiation.

When the ship dropped out of its hyper-warp conduit, the material from the Ironforge Star caught up with the ship and instantly destroyed it. This was the original energy discharge at Astraios. The high levels of anti-thorons were generated by the Annari vessel itself and formed a collimated beam toward Astraios, which had, after all, been the ultimate destination.

In the meantime, the annealing process in the rest of the conduit was uneven, leaving rifts along its length and leaving the conduit itself intact. These are the rifts encountered by all of our vessels in the time leading up to the discovery of the Ironforge Star. These rifts and their attendant high radiation (including gravimetric turbulence and shear) presented existential hazards to planets along a 75,000-lightyear-long corridor through the galaxy.

Unfortunately, the star was being drawn toward the conduit. The increasing gravimetric shear and turbulence would have resulted in the Ironforge Star going supernova within approximately fifteen days after it was discovered. According to the Annari (as reported by USS Thunderbird), the conduit would likely anneal on its own if we could successfully stop the flow of material into the conduit and allow it to empty out. The rift was located inside an extraordinarily hazardous accretion disk and region of extreme gravimetric shear and turbulence, not to mention intense radiation, charged particles, and extreme temperatures. Clearly this required Herculean efforts.

The plan

The Task Force was divided into two groups: the Mover Group and the Protector Group. The Mover Group was tasked with clearing the region around the rift itself, and keeping it clear. They accomplished this by taking up station within the accretion disk as close as practicable to the rift, and then using their deflectors to move accreting material away. The Protector Group was tasked with neutralizing hazards to the Mover Group so that they could stay on station. Protector ships used standard weapons to disrupt plasma blobs and magnetic flux ropes before they could impinge on other vessels. However, there were other dangers from which the Fleet could not be protected.

The plan was to approach the rift through the accretion disk. The accretion disk would be entered by first entering the photosphere of the star, and crossing over the material flowing into the accretion disk from the region where the star was overflowing its Roche Lobe. This region was called the "photospheric bridge." The Task Force used techniques pioneered by USS Maxwell in order to made close detections of the rift. This involved first setting up metaphasic shielding, then trapping photospheric material around the ship and using that material (at 25,000 K temperature) as ablative shielding. Any ship whose ablative shielding dropped to 35% would be relieved from duty in the accretion disk and was to return to the photospheric bridge to recharge their ablative shields before returning to stations and resuming duties.

The Task Force gathered over the course of days at the Ironforge Star. The Mover Group was led by USS Maxwell (which was also the overall Task Force lead); ships in the Mover Group included:

USS Maxwell (Nova-class)
USS Kelvin (Nova-class)
USS Volta (Oberth-class)
USS Szilard (Oberth-class)
USS Compton (Nova-class)
USS Fossey (Nova-class)
USS Caernarvon (Centaur-class)
USS Sheppard (Intrepid-class)
as well as other scout and destroyer-sized vessels.

The Protector Force included larger vessels, such as USS Veracruz (Allegiance-class), and USS Thunderbird (Akira-class).

Events in the photosphere and photospheric bridge

The Mover Group separated into two elements. The first element, led by the Maxwell, engaged metaphasic shielding and entered the stellar photosphere. The second element, led by the Kelvin, remained outside of the photosphere in order to provide relief to the first element when ablative shields would run low. The Protector Group entered the photosphere behind the first element of the Mover Group. Transition to the photosphere was uneventful, though during our transit across the bridge, USS Fossey was struck by an energy discharge. With her right warp nacelle damaged, she was obliged to drop out of formation and return to the region around the Ironforge Star. USS Maxwell sent engineers to help Fossey effect repairs.

Not long after, USS Veracruz disrupted a magnetic flux rope bearing down on USS Compton, sparing them from damage and allowing them to maintain position with the rest of the first element of the Mover Group.

Events in the accretion disk

Once all ablative shields were at full, the first element of the Mover Group and the Protector Group entered the accretion disk from the bridge and moved immediately to take up positions around the rift. Deflectors were activated as soon as ships were in position; they were pre-programmed with sequences to strip material away from the rift and move it away. Around this time, USS Caernarvon was struck by an intense radiation beam which penetrated both her ablative shields and her metaphasic shields. Damage was severe, and she suffered a warp core breach at that time, and was lost with all hands. USS Compton moved to close the gap caused by the loss of the Caernarvon.

Around this time, the second element of the Mover Group engaged metaphasic shielding and entered the photosphere of the Ironforge Star. As the Mover Group ships remained in the accretion disk, their ablative shields began to ablate. However, sensors indicated that the deflectors were doing their jobs as required. During this period, Protector Group ships were disrupting plasma blobs and magnetic flux ropes, allowing the Mover Group ships to safely remain on station and do their work.

On schedule, USS Kelvin, Captain T'Peren commanding, entered the accretion disk with the other six ships from the second element of the Mover Group, including USS Volta. Lending their own deflectors to those of the first element of the Mover Group, large decreases in gravimetric turblence began to be apparent. The first ship to reach 35% ablative shielding was USS Compton, which retired to the photospheric bridge at that time. Recharge does not necessarily take that long; the number of ships used and the time spacing of the two elements of the Mover Group was to provide plenty of margin for keeping maximum deflector power on the region around the rift. Compton returned in good time; they had suffered from impact with a mostly-disrupted magnetic flux rope, which had taken a toll on their ablative shields.

Around the time the Compton returned to the accretion disk, USS Szilard was struck by a rogue plasma blob. The Protector Group was unable to disrupt this blob; the ship was lost with all hands. Around this time, sensors indicated that the gravimetric turbulence around the rift had decreased by 50%.

USS Maxwell's ablative shields continued to ablate during our time in the accretion disk on station; we were reduced to 31% when we were struck by remnants of a disrupted magnetic flux rope. At this point command of the Mover Group was handed off to USS Kelvin, and Maxwell retired to the photospheric bridge to recharge our own ablative shields. The Mover Group shifted positions to maintain optimal effectiveness for our deflectors.

While we were recharging, USS Kelvin was struck by a massive discharge. This seemed to disrupt her systems, including her deflector, which stopped functioning. Her drives and attitude control failed, resulting in a slow port-ward flat spin as she fell toward the rift. USS Veracruz moved immediately to engage a tractor beam; Maxwell immediately returned from the photospheric bridge to render what aid might be possible. Unfortunately, at that moment the containment for the Kelvin's ablative shields failed. The ship was exposed to very high levels of radiation and to extreme temperatures without shielding. It is to be surmised that the ship's temperature must have climbed to levels unsustainable for life or even high enough to overcome structural integrity. Shortly thereafter, her warp core suffered a breach; Kelvin was lost with all hands.

Maxwell returned to station, reassuming command of the Mover Group. Other ships returned to the photospheric bridge to recharge ablative shields. Most ships took damage as a result of their time in the harsh environment of the accretion disk. Maxwell was no exception to that; we lost three crew when a repair crew was unable to be evacuated from a heavily-damaged section of the ship that was vented to space.

Sometime after the loss of USS Kelvin, USS Volta was struck by a discharge of some kind and significantly damaged. Unable to self-rescue from the accretion disk, she was rescued by USS Sheppard. They were obliged to retire from formation.

Closure of the rift; stellar nova and final escape

No further ships were lost during the course of our action. After further use of deflectors on-station in the accretion disk, the inward pressure of material onto the rift was low enough that the flow polarity reversed, and material began to come out of the rift. This had the effect of causing a transient increase in turbulence. However, the conduit at this time started to close. Approximately seven minutes after the reversal of flow polarity, data were received from probes at the M97A-451 system that indicated that the rift there had closed.

The flow rate from the rift continued to decrease, as did the gravimetric turbulence. Approximately twenty one minutes after the reversal of flow polarity, the rift at the Ironforge Star closed. At this time, the gravitic anomaly around the Ironforge Star ceased to exist, and the star's Roche Lobe returned to its unaltered state. As a consequence of the return to normal gravity, the accretion disk and stellar bridge began to fall back into the Ironforge Star. Magnetic fields began reconnecting, resulting in very large energy discharges. All ships were ordered to leave the vicinity of the Ironforge Star at a minimum speed of Warp Factor One to avoid what was thought to be an incipient nova event.

USS Fossey was still damaged from her earlier encounter in the photospheric bridge; she was unable to make warp. USS Veracruz moved to assist; Veracruz tractored the Fossey and went to warp. USS Maxwell remained on-station to assist as required with any similarly stricken vessels. However, all other Task Force vessels were able to make the jump to warp, and USS Maxwell went to Warp Factor Three, being the last remaining starship in the vicinity of the Ironforge Star.

Starfleet Losses in the Ironforge action

USS Caernarvon, Centaur-class destroyer: destroyed, 313 dead, no survivors or wounded
USS Szilard, Oberth-class scout ship: destroyed, 81 dead, no survivors or wounded
USS Kelvin, Nova-class scout ship: destroyed, 73 dead, no survivors or wounded
USS Volta, Oberth-class scout ship: significant damage, 13 dead, 54 wounded: 4 critical, 26 serious, 24 minor
USS Maxwell, Nova-class scout ship: significant damage, 3 dead, 42 wounded: 1 critical, 6 serious, others minor
USS Fossey, Nova-class scout ship: significant damage, 12 wounded: 3 serious, 9 minor
Other ships have yet to report damage and losses.

Analysis and Recommendations

A major galactic catastrophe was narrowly averted by Task Force Ironforge, at the cost of nearly 500 Starfleet lives and the loss of three ships. This catastrophe was caused by a research project sponsored and executed by the Annari Empire. Their hyper-warp project must be regarded as extraordinarily dangerous, and must not be allowed to continue. Furthermore, the possibility that this kind of technology might be weaponized should not be overlooked. Starfleet must devote resources to find ways to more effectively neutralize the effects of this technology before the Annari or some other species try to use it to deliberately disrupt a star.

In the meantime, the project must be shut down on Annar Prime, and all records of it destroyed. Though the Annari might not have meant to cause the damage that they did, their experiment nonetheless caused many deaths and might well have spelled untold destruction to worlds in two different Quadrants of the Galaxy. The Annari must be monitored for any further efforts to develop this technology. Any such efforts must be disrupted.

A slipstream-capable scout ship should be sent along the path of the Annari conduit to document damage to planets or systems that Task Force Ironforge vessels did not encounter. Given the extreme length of the conduit, there must surely be a great many systems that we did not encounter. It is recommended that the task be undertaken in shifts by a number of ships, as the work will likely incur a significant psychological toll on any crew that undertakes it.

In service
Captain Nora Gerhadsen, USS Maxwell
Task Force Ironforge, Officer Commanding
Karl Quar
UFS Civilian
UFS Civilian

Reporting: "Denouement" Mission
Rank/Name: Fleet Captain Karl Quar
Position: USS Argonaut 2nd Officer / Chief Engineer
Stardate: 170521

=^ Log Entry: ^=

During a Briefing meeting Captain Bravin brought us fresh informations we had received from Starfleet Command, about the Ironforge Task Force gathered to fix the problem caused by the Anari ship, transforming a blue star in a galaxian trap ! In addition to the damages we had on Astraios Prime and the Space Station, many vessels and planets have been hit by radiations, some ships even destroyed. Having understood the method suggested to stop the energy transfer from the blue star to the rift, we took our stations on the ship bridge and, along with other ships in the Task Force, we put the plan into action.

First we head on through the photosphere of the blue star and start to collect photospheric material, using our tractor beam. With this material, we have been able to reinforce our metaphasic shields against the gravimetric shear and the intense radiations. We went then across the photospheric bridge to the accretion disk and, thanks to our main deflector, launched torpedos on it, to close the rift.

We are happy to announce we succeeded to stop the process. The photospheric bridge and accretion disk started to fall back into the star - which started its transformation into a super nova ! As we were advised that it would probably be the normal conclusion, we hurry up to escape the area, at maximal warp speed, just before the explosion, and so managed to keep safe and sane ... We noticed several other ships did the same !

We are waiting reports from all the Task Force Ships and are now on our way back to Astraios.

StarFleet succeeded once again !

=A=

Return to “Fleet Command Orders”