Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Location: USS Argonaut, 6 LY or more trailing Sector Border, Grid 9
Stardate 130224
============

A harrowing day, I think we are all exhausted although noone will admit it. We got the ship through the anomoly, much of the crew was evacuated to upper decks only and it's a little cramped at the moment. Everyone worked well on the bridge although tensions were high. What I would like now is a happy peaceful place to park and some R&R for the crew, who haven't really stopped since the mercenaries attacked us at SS Astraios and we gave chase. I left the XO on the bridge to handle the clean-up and get Beta shift on duty, we are on impluse power only as I wish to move away from the anomoly while we can but allow Engineering time to mop up. It will be a few hours before we can return to normal, but I am informed by Cmdr Quar that replicators for medical are back online.

I think I might sneak down to sickbay for an Earl Grey.

Toocool out.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130303
============

We've moved from one anomoly to the other, leaving warning beacons in place to find our way back if need be. Engineering did a good job of getting power back, everyone can have a hot meal at the end of their watch... and a solar shower. I spent some time on the bridge at the Operations console, assist communications to assess the array and examine a signal of unknown origin. Science reports scans are affected by the nebula, but we decided to take a look anyway. We're curious about the signal we are receiving. And, after all, we are explorers.

=end log=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Location: USS Argonaut in orbit of Class P planet near Tiberius Nebula
Stardate 130331
================

I can't fight this feeling that something is about to go wrong. The Away Team searched the planet surface and returned safely to the ship, with data from the technology, shuttle and other items they found, along with information about the corpse. Apparently a cave has been located and Science would like to return to examine it as the materials around it are reflecting our scans. Tactical has found a warp trail approximately 48 hours old, leading away from the planet. Science is working to translate the signal that lead us here - which we now believe might be a distress call. Right now Engineering is repairing the EPS conduits while I have given Science 2 hours to complete the Away Mission to examine the cave. I focus my mind on the morphology of the unknown language and the syllables similar to ancient Verathan, and away from the heaviness in my stomach.

=end log=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130421
================

I begin to ask myself what we have gotten into. Light years from Astraios, in an unknown area of space, out of communications with Starfleet and SS Astraios. We've been investigating a signal that lead us to a class P planet. We sent a team down to investigate the source of the signal, which appeared to be from an encampment. No life signs, but bodies found, along with a recent warp trail left by an alien vessel. After a briefing we set course to follow that ship. Just as we increased to warp 7 we encountered an energy field Science described as similar to a Tholian web. We were forced to back off, however, I was determined to follow the alien vessel and asked Science and Tactical to figure out how that ship had passed through the web, which appears to be made of the same chystalline material as that of the weapons and gems found at the encampment. Helm spotted a small class M planet beyond the web. We discussed various means to break through the web should we not find an opening. Dr Lane suggested a resonance emission to shatter the crystals, Cmdr Barbosa suggested a torpedo. I'm reluctant to do either, as it may signal our approach. I'd rather sneak up on them and gather some intelligence before proceeding.

=end log=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130428
================

We approached the web with caution, seeing the planet beyond but having no idea how the vessel that proceeded us crossed this boundary. We began a series of lateral searches, moving the ship across the grid from west to east, east to west, scanning as we went. The ship we have been following was identified as being similar to that of Species 116. As the history between Starfleet and 116 is not a happy one, we must be on our guard. We determined that it was likely we could use hyperdrive to slip through the net, but cogniciant of the danger, we decided to launch a cloaked probe through the net and have it transfer data via an undetectable signal to the Argonaut, which would also cloak.

=end log=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130514
================

I have hesitated to record a personal log, both from constraits of time and from a reluctance to put my thoughts down. We play this waiting game... deploying a cloaked shuttle with marines aboard to capture the stolen mining vessel, hiding the Argonaut with a cloak as well, heading for orbit of a class M planet protected by a not-so-secure space web we managed to get through... Engineering teams straining to increase power to our systems and repair damaged conduits. Lower decks closed, officers and crew doubling up in quarters. Meals rationed and replicator use restricted. Sick bay overloaded with cases of influenza. Tactical hands eager to go to battle. Science compiling a massive amount of data from LCARS and current sensor readings. A Ship's Counsellor who has seen visions of dark figures and states firmly that 'something bad' is happening. Through it all, bereft of any communication with either Starfleet Command or our home base of Astraios.

So many questions, the most imporant being... by interfering with this attack on what we suspect is a Species 116 colony... are we violating the Prime Directive? We have no idea who the attackers are. What if they are a rival faction of the same species, and this is a civil conflict? Should we bring our guns to bear on one, and not the other, what might the outcomes be? Will we bring down a goverment, kill innocent sentient beings, cause chaos and misery?

I would wish to be back home. Astraios, the place I almost didn't go to, not wanting to leave Pinastri, reluctant to travel so many days in a runabout... once there, charmed by the gardens and nature of this naturally beautiful world requiring protection from those who would steal its innocence. And a massive job. From the remnants of a former, failed colony... build afresh. Recruit civilians willing to serve with us. Create an Academy to train them. Assemble an Hellenic class space station to orbit Astraios Prime, guarding the planet and the Sector. Totally floored when the Sector Commander quit after two months. I was only a newly graduated Ensign, but my responsibility to my fellow officers, to Astraios, to Starfleet, motivated me to carry on. Still I carry, in the corner of my mind, the memory of warm days in a fragrant garden, the taste of fresh fruit, and a carefree laugh.

There is no laughter now. Just a taunt sense of strain and a determination to see out the choices I have made. People are in trouble here, and it's up to us to protect them. It doesn't matter how far we are from home, or Starfleet.

In my ready room I have a picture of Captain Kathryn Janeway, Captain of the USS Voyager. How alone she must have felt, lost in the Delta Quadrant. I can only hope I act now with the same decisiveness as she did, holding fast to the principles we both believe in.

=end log=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130517
================

Engineering has been working around the clock. I am constantly amazed by their technical expertise. Travelling at impulse, the stars slow down, looking out the window I feel as though I am in a dream. Inside me there is the ever-present wish to shift, stress always creates a stuggle within, to return to the form of the wolf and run free. That instinct is flawed. There is no where to run here. Even if we had the power to use the holodeck, I cannot take the risk the others would see. I have hidden, and continue to hide, my true nature. The only one who truly saw me was Jam. And the only other who knew of me was Dr Soulstar, when she tried to help me save our son.

I am aware the feeling of slow motion is... just an impression. The calm before the storm. Normally I would go down to the mess and take my turn in line, as all the others are doing. But I desire quiet. I will send my yeoman, who is fretting as usual, to have his dinner and bring me a tray. A big pot of Earl Grey and a replicated orange. *Grimace* How I miss fresh food. And how I miss... happier days. I can't remember the last time I really laughed.

No matter. Time to focus on the task in hand. Hold this ship together and stop these acts of violence. *Sighs*

'Ad Astra Per Aspera'
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130519.1000
================

There's something odd going on. I can't put my finger on it. This situation is tense to be sure. But this is something more than stress.

Last night I had the strangest dream. It was like my unborn son - lost two years ago - was whispering to me. His energy was light, earnest. Suddenly a dark black figure appeared, flying between us, taking the light and air from us. I was alone in a formless void. I cried out and awoke, the tears still fresh on my cheeks, struggling to breathe.

I am troubled. Yet there is nothing that can be done. Only duty, loyalty, regulations, protocols, orders... *shakes her head, still shivering from the nightmare*

I will dress and go among the crew, sharing their coffee time, chatting easily, strengthening them, they are my responsibility and my care. They will give their lives for the principles of Starfleet...and I will protect their lives with every ounce of power within me.

=PADD beeps

'Captain, the Marine Commander aboard the shuttle advises they are 50,000 kilometers from the alien mining vessel. At half impulse, ETA 2 hours.'

'Acknowledged. Toocool out'
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130519.1330
================

After coming through the net, we set course for the planet, one quarter impulse, ETA to orbit 14 minutes. Science found the alien vessel was reflecting scans. Tactical informed me only 17 torpedoes in current supply.

Our cloaked shuttle, holding a boarding team of Marines, was approaching the alien vessel, when its cloak began to fail. I ordered them to immediately go to warp and use the planet as a shield. They were unsuccessful, the aliens fired upon them. We energized transporters, beaming them directly to sick bay. The EMH called the Bridge, demanding to know where her patients were. We attempted to lock transporters again. They could not be located. Sick bay reported only one person had arrived. One out of twenty.

Engineering reported a power drain as we approached the enemy vessel, and warned our systems might be affected. With the attack on our shuttle, red alert was called. Science carried out a diagnostic to ensure computer systems were not compromised. Shields dropped to 75%. I ordered Helm to back us off to 30,000 kilometers, deflector dish brought to bear, in the event Science could come up with a solution.

Shields failing, losing cloak. Science advised an electron pulse might affect the alien shields, and began to work with Engineering to make it so. Evasive manoeuvres, Delta 552.

At this point Tactical ordered Science to fire a tachyon beam on the alien vessel. I had no option but to dress her down in front of the crew.

We fired the electron pulse, our systems were still affected and we were losing warp drive. I ordered helm to course 312 mark 5, and we opened fire with a full spread of torpedoes. Engineering attempting to compensate for power loss to engines, we got warp one just as Science confirmed the alien shields went down. Tactical advised the torpedoes did NOT penetrate the alien shield.

We determined they were misleading us. I ordered helm to bring us to 574 mark 2, bring us to bear at 25,000 kilometers while Science readied a tachyon pulse. Tactical fired torpedoes and reloaded. The tachyon pulse was activated. Engineering gave us warp five. Their shields dropped for a brief time, we targeted their ship and ruptured their hull.

They seemed unconcerned. Science reported an energy build-up on their ship. Some kind of a beam was aimed at the Class M planet. I ordered Helm to place the ship between the aliens and the planet, maximum shields. Helm was ordered all stop but keep us in that position. Hull integrity compromised but we would not disengage. Engineering got more power from somewhere but warned it wouldn’t hold for long. We gave them another tachyon burst and fired two more torpedoes at the source of the beam. The beam was unbroken.

The EMH suggested reconfiguring a bank of nanites to send a signal similar to borg nanites, confusing the enemy. I agreed. I tried to buy some time by hailing the aliens. They told us to surrender. We had no phasers and only five torpedoes left.

Negative. We will never surrender. Nanites ready. Impulse engines 100%. Tactical was to fire a tachyon pulse and aim torpedoes for their shield emitters. The "medical" torpedo was to be fired during the few moments their shields would be affected.

At this point I felt incredibly dizzy and was unable to respond. Finally I managed to say “Fire torpedo”. It seemed apparent the aliens were trying to control me. Torpedo away. Our shields began to fail.

Just as the EMH was injecting me with 5cc’s of Alkysine, we detected phaser fire. Phasers? Our phasers were off-line. What the-? Was I hallucinating??

“Tactical Report, incoming ship, Sir !!!"

EMH took my arm and lead me to my chair. I heard Engineering say, “...may the great computer assist us.”

=^= USS Neil Armstrong to USS Argonaut. Can we be of assistance? =^=

“It’s a federation one, Sir !

((rousing Star Trek theme plays...))

USS Neil Armstrong: =Fire full phasers on alien mining vessel. Scan for life forms. Transfer to brig=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130520.1134
================

I am exhausted. We are safe, however, thanks to the ingenuity of my crew and the interception of the USS Neil Armstrong. We have the aliens in the Brig and all but one of our Marines in sick bay. The Captain of the Armstrong is negotiating with the mining colony. In the meantime, we are in orbit, repairing the ship and taking R&R on the planet below. Through use of an abandoned Hirogen relay network, we have been able to contact Starfleet Command, and receive or send messages to friends or family. My first task was to write a complete report on our mission to date. Then I had the unhappy task of informing the families of our lost comrades. I met also with Captain York and debriefed him on the situation.

When all duties were done, I turned to my own messages. A few from Delta Q friends, enquiring about my life in the sleepy backwater of the Gamma Q. If they only knew. And then, I was shocked to see a message from Jam. He apparently has been given command of a new vessel in the Beta Q and wanted to talk with me.

I went to the holo-deck and contacted him on subspace frequency. Our holograms would appear to be at Astraios Colony as we conversed. Since I wished for home, it seemed a good idea. We spoke for some time. I won't repeat it all. He seemed to want forgiveness, and to try again, but all his reasonings and the memories he spoke of just left me feeling confused. I don't really know what he wants. My anger is gone, my disappointment remains. He let me down, he let Astraios down, and he let Starfleet down, leavng two months after his appointment as Sector Commander, when we were still in our infancy and could easily fail again. Worst of all, he let our son down. Finally, tired and worn out, I said I would consider assigning him a position if he came to Astraios. He said he would think about it.

He won't come. I know it already. No point in hoping.

=Captain York to Captain Toocool=

*wearily she replies* =Toocool here=

=Captain, we need you in the Armstrong brig=

=Acknowledged. Ready to transport=

*as she begins to shimmer, she sighs*
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

=PADD beeps: 'Incoming Message'

Captain Toocool sits up to read it, almost afraid, in the dark of the night, that they are again under attack. Negative. It is from Jam, informing her of his decision to stay with the Curiosity. At the end she nods. "It's the right thing to do," she says to the PADD. She rises, and moves about preparing for the day. She has had only two hours sleep. As she steps from the solar shower and begins to dress, she looks up at the mirror. She is suddenly filled with energy, and can't wait to get on the bridge. Now the decision has been made, she can move on. She ties her long hair back, and dons her Command uniform. Boots, combadge, belt, pips, checking in the mirror to ensure everything is proper. She sits at her desk, looking at the PADD for a minute, drinking a glass of tepid water. She begins to type a reply.

"Commander Hermans, well done. You showed loyalty and dedication to your ship, crew and Starfleet. You made the only decision a Starfleet Captain should make in this instance. If it were... two years in the future, and your ship was well-established in routines and filled with capable officers, it would be a different story. But right now, she has not even been launched. I expect to continue in Command of Astraios Colony, UFS Academy Astraios, and SS Astraios for several more years. My friends and family are here and I will continue to do my duty, a duty I gave an oath to fulfill on stardate 110322 despite my dismay and disappointment at your resignation. I will never understand it... Only 3 of the original officers serving at that time remain, I am one of them. All the rest are new and look to me as example and for guidance. I will not let them down, and I will not allow myself to be... distracted... from my duties and responsibilities. *Pause* I think it is best if we... regard each other as... friends and old colleagues, serving in different quadrants. I wish you well in your new Command. Stay safe."

She puts the PADD down. Rising she looks in the mirror again, straightening the uniform, smoothing a crease. Genny had been in sickbay during the attack, she will visit there and then... the bridge. She moves swiftly to the door, then turns back. She steps over to her desk and presses 'send'. She would then move out the door and down to the turbo lift, noding to the crewman, her hand tapping her combadge to check in with her Yeoman about the day's schedule, crisply: "Briefing in 15 minutes, all Senior staff, let's make it 10-forward." Informal meeting, status reports. Maybe a joke or two to coax a smile from their tired faces. They were her care and concern. She would serve them with every ounce of her energy, and they would give their lives for her. Steps into the turbo lift, "Bridge."
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130522
================

I am still working on reports. So much to cover. I have been going over my Command logs, meeting with Intelligence, talking with Engineering regarding repairs, every department has something to discuss. In addition, I have taken part in the questioning of the aliens who attacked the Argonaut and the 116 Mining Colony... they are a maddening species, belligerent, arrogant, and stubborn. We've learned nothing.

With long range comms reestablished, I have been receiving word from the Colony on their status and spending time catching up on events there. A pleasant duty: I was able to confirm the transfer of two additional officers to Astraios, Dr Daecalad Brôgdram (Medical) and LTjg Xzann (Security). All this administration and writing would normally be exactly what I would like to focus my mind and provide stimulation.

But I've been troubled by attacks of severe dizziness, the same as that which affected me during the attack. I finally had to go to sickbay. During the exam, Dr Brôgdram made a comment about my species, I ordered her to keep it classified. I felt better after whatever she did. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

=end log
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Stardate 130525
================

Home, at last. It's been months. She feels like a stranger. Her quarters feel musty, she wants to avoid her ready room as she knows there's a pile of work to be done. You'd think she would sleep for a week but instead she finds herself just wandering the Colony in the middle of the night, taking note of minor issues. Dr Lane's nameplate still says LT. There's a misspelling in the turbo lift menu. The door to the Security office doesn't open without a shove. And that darned headache.

She made notes on this or that on her PADD as she walked around. Finally she ended outside, on the bridge to the condo's, the night air cool on her cheeks. She stood for a long time. Clutching the railing, frustrated at the dizzy spells that come and go. Why the hell can't they do something. A frisson of pure anger runs through her. She drops the PADD. Against her will, it begins.

First the internal organs. Ripping, tearing, changing. Then the torso, the legs, the arms. She struggles, fighting wordlessly, finally dropping to all fours, scrabbling in the dust, moaning in agony. The uniform slips to the ground, teeters on the edge of the walk and then slips into the water, the combadge still attached. Then, the head transforms.

The wolf stands, snarling, sniffing the air, pausing, eyes glinting in the moon. She is shadowed by the pale lights on the walkway. Silent, still. Suddenly the disgarded PADD beeps. She turns, growling, snapping. Then springs away, gone in a flash. The PADD lies on the cement, still blinking.

She runs. Leaping over stones, dashing through brush, ending on a high hill in the distance, where a wild howl pierces the night. Then she is gone.

A combadge squeaks. "Security Officer Xzaan reporting." He looks up and down the walk. "I've found a PADD on the walkway outside the Ceremonial Hall." He picks it up and continues towards the Welcome Centre, not noticing his foot brushed a set of Captain's pips. Spinning, they ended deep in the long grass by the edge of the water. He locates the Security Chief and makes his report. Together they examine the device.

=^= Security to Captain Toocool. Sir? We located your PADD in the gardens.=^=

No response.

Xzaan turns to Barbosa, "maybe she's asleep."

"I don't think so..." Barbosa looks out the window. "I saw her walk near here not too long ago." Briskly, she turns and pushes a button on the console. A map with blinking lights on it appears on the display. "Here's the lifesigns on the ground." She points to a cluster, "Cadets in class... the Doctor in sickbay, some people at home at the Condos. But no one out walking." Sure enough, the sidewalks were dark, stretches of thin black between the lighted areas.

She looked to Xzaan for a moment. Things had been... strained between herself and the Captain on that last misson. Still... as Chief of Security, the Captain's safety was her responsibility. With a small grimace, she raised a hand to her combadge.

=^= Barbosa to Captain Toocool. Please respond. =^=

No reply.

Xzaan tapped the console. "Computer, locate Captain Toocool."

A blinking light appeared, right by where he had found the PADD. "What the devil?" Together they moved swiftly to the lobby entrance and down the walk, flashlights in hand. Barbosa pulled a tricorder from her belt.

"She's supposed to be down there." She climbed over the rail, stepping into the cold water, and kneeling down. "Look!" She lifted the torn uniform to show Xzaan

"Wow," he said. "Any life sign?"

Barbosa shook her head, "Only the combadge," she waded out of the water, carrying the dripping uniform in one hand. "No sign of her anywhere close."

Xzaan slumped against the rail. "What the hell happened, she fall in?"

"I don't know. All I know is she isn't here," she shook her head with a worried look, "...or she's dead."

=^= Barbosa to SS Astraios Ops. Alert. Captain Toocool is missing. Security Teams Blue, Orange, Red and Green, deploy stat. Dr Brogham, your presence is requested on the ground. =^=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Stardate 130531
================

I have never had.. no, I will not speak of it. Everyone is sworn to secrecy. I do fear that if it were known what I was, the forces at work in this Sector would use it to their advantage.

I remember the story of Captain Picard being assimilated by the Borg, standing looking at his crew, with others in his mind, knowing his thoughts and controling his actions. So it was for me. I sedated the Security detail, I set the Aliens free, then I walked away as though nothing had happened. But the struggle and stress of uselessly fighting their control of me took hold, and I was, for the first time since I was a youngling, unable to hold the form I chose.

My actions led to nothing too serious, an away mission, and the death of the male alien. But deep in my heart it troubles me that so many of our crew saw my state at the end, in the cave, when Genny somehow suspected it was me and told the others, and Dol gave the order to cease fire. My old companions I feel I can likely trust... the new crew members.. this is unknown.

But these worries are just that, worries. The thoughts that go through your mind in the middle of the time allotted to sleep, when you lie awake comtemplating the ceiling.

There are other things to think of.

We shall be boarding USS Argonaut shortly to begin our mission to save the 205 civilians and colonists currently being held by... I don't know. They demand the return of our prisoner within 3 days or... people will be killed. Genny assures me the female alien is sedated and unable to use her mental power to control any of the crew.

It occurs to me that I haven't spent even one full night resting in my quarters at Astraios. I longed to be home when we were so far away. Now we're back, and there is no time to enjoy it. No time for social pleasantries or gardening. Work is to be done. Those hostages need us. And we will... be successful in rescuing them. Yes we will.

=end log
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130602
================

The Naasirkhan female was returned to sick bay after being found in the ancient Kiqvarr caves. As far as Medical Staff could tell, she was in good shape. Whether she grieves the loss of the male who was with her, no one knows. She is under sedation, to avoid any further attempts to control receptive beings.

I returned to SS Astraios and was attended in my private quarters by Cmdr Markus (former CMO). I am free of the alien influence and have returned to base form. Officers and crew who observed me are sworn to secrecy under Federation Law, and may not speak of what occured to anyone, even amongst themselves.

A patrol ship on the far side of the Takaar Nebula has now sent an urgent communique. An unknown vessel attacked a civilian transport, and captured all 205 aboard before fleeing the Sector. The Astronian Ambassodor to Treman, Mr Wirye Cajd, is among them, as are several children. Before the unknown vessel left Astraios space, they broadcast a message.

'Return the Nassirkhan, Mrrhvaql, within 3 of your days, or the civilians will be killed.' Coordinates were given for a location some light years away, the only way to reach it in the time allotted is to somehow make it safely through the Takaar Nebula. It's too big to go around even at high warp. To add impact to the message, a pregnant woman was forced to speak the message to us. She looked terrified.

I have taken command of the USS Argonaut. The sedated Alien has been beamed to the Argonaut's sick bay, and is under strict observation. Intelligence officers and diplomatic personnel are also aboard. God help those hostages...

We got underway by 130602.1150 as planned, leaving behind LTjg Joan Faulkes, who was in the brig and still being questioned by Security as to her involvement in the excape of the Aliens. I asked them to go lightly, as I suspect she was also being influenced by them, as was I.

I was pleased to have Commander Davido Herbit aboard the Argonaut. Good to see an old friend, not so good to be facing these circumstances. He smiled and enjoyed a coffee on the bridge with me, watching as we left space dock and made course for the Nebula.

Our new Operations Officer, LTjg JohnnyB Guardian, was assigned to Helm. He seems very capable. Dr Daecalad Brôgdram, our new Medical Officer, was charged with monitoring the alien in sickbay as well as bringing our newly returned from R&R CMO, LTcmdr Breydon Lane, up to speed on the circumstances. Dr B strikes me as being both charming and efficient.

Captain Karl Quar transferred Engineering controls to the bridge, I wanted him close while we took the ship through the Nebula, he has held this ship together through thick and thin. We have skirted Takaar, and even entered it, but never attempted to cross it.

I asked the XO - Cmdr Genny7 Markus - to monitor medical and science due to her expertise in the area. Privately... I leaned on her again, hoping her presence and her empathy would keep me strongly contained within myself. I wanted no outside voice influencing my thoughts. It was vital the alien be constrained in all ways.

I managed Helm and OPs and Tactical/Intel... LTcmdr Lane assisted on OPs again, as he does so ably.

All went well until we attempted to go to warp 5 inside the nebula -- time was pressing and we could not afford to go slowly. Then suddenly our Intel officer, LT Saraleah Sands, began to act strangely. The CMO and MO suspected the alien might have something to do with it, but nothing could be found to prove it. Meantime the probe we had sent ahead to give us accurate telemetry and help us negotiate our way, veered off course. Systems were fluctuating all over the ship. It was recommended we go to All Stop and correct these issues before proceeding, especially since it is known that a large asteroid belt stretches into the Nebula.

I feel trapped. We must move on. The alien's abilities may be far beyond our understanding. To be sitting here in the middle of an anomoly that can effect our systems - and ourselves - adversely, with a telepathic alien who may be able to control us... is just plain wrong. We must get out of here.

The clock is ticking

=end log

Return to “SS Astraios Archives”