Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard Unimatrix 300
Stardate 120624

Ummmm.... never have I felt less like a seasoned Captain. Our plan for a quick use of the Borg sphere to rescue civilians from pirates has turned into a mess. We've rescued the civilians, that's great. We thought we'd disabled the pirate vessel, that's good. Then, as we're heading back through the wormhole to Astraios... someone aboard the sphere is sabatoging us and several of our crew are dead. We read a massive power ahead of us, jamming our systems. The wormhole breaks apart in an antimatter explosion and we are thrown into a circle of ships, some Borg cubes and some Vulcan. Or maybe Romulan. Science determines we've travelled back in time to late 20th century. We play Borg to the Borg, and try to send a message to the other ships to say we'll help them. Everyone reminds me that could change the timeline... I feel lightheaded and confused, but finally I say, let's get out of here... tactical sends a message to the Borg, trying to pretend we're the Borg Queen vessel... I think we don't sound very Borg. Science opens a transwarp conduit and I can only hope with every fibre of my being that the Borg don't leap into it with us. Science says he has a plan for that. Good. I've never felt so tired.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Log

Formerly Poison Toocool
One of Six, Unimatrix 300
Stardate 120701

At last. We will overcome the imperfect beings aboard this vessel and assimilate them into the collective. We will add their distinctiveness, if any, to our own. They will be worker drones. My former self knows this ship travelled from 2387 to 1986 to find the Borg. It was an invitation to us. We will enter the Astraios Sector. We will assimulate all we find there.

Resistance is futile.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
USS Argonaut
Stardate 120722

We set off aboard USS Argonaut for a leisurely cruise towards the sector border, and our planned rendezvous with the Huitzilopochtli. We were not far from the station when we picked up an anomoly on sensors and changed course to investigate. Our sensors seemed to be jamming, we launched a probe to get more information and it promptly disappeared. After further collection of data we determined the anomoly was a singularity. It seemed benign in nature, we tested that theory by firing an unarmed torpedo at it, which was returned to us without harm. It seems to effect space/time and systems up to 120,000 distance, science felt it would not endanger the colony or station at this time. We attempted to communicate with the singularity to no avail. At present the Marco Polo is on route to take over from us, we've launched a probe to orbit the singularity at 120,000 kms distance, to monitor it and also to warn any ships to stay out of the area. I am curious about this anomoly but mindful of the clock, as we do not wish to delay here for too long.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
USS Argonaut
Stardate 120729

Orbiting the singularity at 120,000 kilometers distance, waiting for the USS Marco Polo to make her way here so we can head towards our rendezvous with the USS Huitzilopochtli, we detected a freigher moving towards the singularity. Our hails met with no response. Prior to leaving to intercept them and offer assistance, we took aboard the torpedo we had fired at the singularity, and found a curious blue crystal on it. While tactical and science tried to puzzle that out, we set course for the freighter. They had, according to our scans, three injured crew out of the 10 aboard. We prepared to receive them in our cargo bay. As we closed on their position we discovered an ion trail near their location, as well as signs of weapons fire. We concluded that they had likely been attacked by a cloaked vessel, possibly Klingon. We managed to open a channel to the Rurigan Administrator but they insisted they didn't need any help. In a ruse, I said we'd leave then, but reminded them the cloaked ship was nearby and that they were in danger of entering an interdimentional rift. That seemed to change their minds, just then, using a tachyon burst, we located the cloaked Klingon vessel, right next to the freighter. We were hailed by my archenemy, Zhieela Brruxls. At this point the XO felt retreat was the wisest action, and I agreed with her. I would have loved to engage Zhieela in battle but the XO reminded us she could have slaves aboard.

As we began to move off, I came up with the idea of attaching a small probe as a homing device, to Zhieela's hull. Ops, Science and Tactical worked together to prepare it, making sure the signal would be undetected and the probe cloaked to avoid detection. We returned to weapons range, pretended to fire on Zhiella, deliberately missing, as a distraction... meantime launching the probe and penetrating her shields. The homing device attached successfully, we managed to beam the crew from the freighter. Ensign Fire contacted the bridge to say 9 out of the 10 crew were at her location. We then retreated at warp 5, sending a message to the task force with the details of what we had done.

Ensign Fire then sent a security alert, the 10th person had attacked her team. We could hear shouts from her location. Blue team is overrun and in danger.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
USS Argonaut
Stardate 120729

I have been stunned by a phaser blast from my Security Chief, who panicked on the bridge when several officers, including me, were making conflicting statements.

It all began when we decided to check out the Class L Planetoid our prisoners told us about. On our approach, we found that it was shielded, but that the inhabitants seem to be low tech, using old style radio signals to send a distress call. We heard it, but did not acknowledge, thinking this might be another trap.

Science and tactical found that there were several shield generators, two of which were located at the north pole. We determined we could use an energy beam to disable one of them in such a way that it would look like a malfunction. Engineering suggested we launch a drone to disturb the shield modulations as well. We did so, and were able to penetrate the shield, and then locate a place to land near the equator.

In the meantime, several crew reported to sick bay with food poisoning from the replicators, but, upon further investigation, the replicators seemed fine except for 5 or 6. In order to be safe, I ordered power transferred from replicators to main system, and our civilian bartender to the kitchen to use only dry or canned or bottled goods while we figure this out.

Our systems were mildly affected by something behind the shield, but we were doing ok. Tactical kept reporting a Borglike signal, near the south pole. Medical said more crew were reporting sick and replicators were the cause. OPs said there was nothing wrong with the replicators. I couldn't remember the ranks or names of some of the bridge officers.

I heard security ordering number one to take over the bridge, but I didn't understand why. I continued to give my orders to bring the ship safetly to the landing point and ensure we used only thrusters to avoid attention. A muddle of reports coming at me, and then the phaser blast. I was stunned but remained upright, leaning on the railing by the centre chair, giving my orders.

I heard Dr Lane screaming at Security Chief Barbosa. It was then I felt overwhelmed, and fell to the ground as Helm reported a safe landing.

I remember telling Number One to take over the bridge before everything went black....
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
USS Argonaut
Stardate 120812

After an excellent departmental debriefing the bridge officers and I discussed our options. It seems the planetoid's shield is very old. I have the theory it was placed here to guard the inhabitants during the Dominion wars. This system lies on the border of the sector and could have been used as a strategic location for Jem'Hadar if unprotected. The inhabitants are a pre-warp species. The XO seems to think they are either phased or have the ability to be invisible to our eyes. Everyone felt we should return to the village and seek out the inhabitants. Prior to giving permission for an Away Team to disembark, I ordered that a probe be prepared for launch. Once in the village, the team would momentarily disengage the shield so the probe could be fired into orbit.

The probe would have three uses. One, long range communications to the fleet, LTjg Fire prepared an encrypted message telling them our location and plans. Two, to scan the system for any activity. Three... well.

I proposed that we also use the probe to send a distress call, using old algorithms that could easily be broken. In the message, we would give the planet location, explain that 70% of our crew is disabled by severe vertigo, and that the ship was significantly damaged when landing on the planet.

The XO agreed.

I remained on the ship to rest. The probe is prepared and ready to launch when the Away Team advises the shield grid is down.

Last reports from the team: they have made first contact with the ShoValla Leader, called Vexnu. Apparently his species has the ability to be unseen, except in moonlight. Slavers have discovered this and come here at full moon, finding their "treasure" in the strong humanoids that live here. Even the children, they have taken to be sold. The XO has promised we will help.

We have violated the Prime Directive by making contact with this pre-warp civilization. Our intentions are good. I hope we bring them no further harm. But I am firmly against slavery of any type. So we will soon launch our probe, and dangle the bait -- us.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
USS Argonaut
Stardate 120826

We are ready.

Away Team lead by Cmdr Quar made contact with the ShoValla leader, Vexnu. He was told his wife (Vessa) was likely aboard the pirate vessel. This motivated him to help us. The team was able to access the shield generator chamber and disable the shield so the ship could fire the probe into orbit.

The rest of us were kept busy preparing for what is to come. The Away Team returned, I decided we should set up a shuttle to "look like" the Argonaut, as a decoy. Meantime we moved the ship to the south pole region. Long range scans show a vessel approaching, likely a Klingon Bird of Prey. We were able to alert the Task Force to our plan, they are also on their way, however the lead ship is some distance away.

Battlestations.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
USS Argonaut
Stardate 120902

We engaged the pirate Bird of Prey at 11:20 hours, after they arrived and disengaged the planet shield grid using some kind of algorythm. We rose up from behind the hills, took out their shields, lowered ours and, just as we were transporting aboard the prisoners we'd located on their vessel, two other ships decloaked. We quickly engaged them as well, fire torpedoes and phasers. Although the Bird of Prey had been disabled, we were still outgunned. Luckily the Huitzilopochtli was close at hand and was able to also engage. Unfortunately they took heavier damage than we did. They ejected their core near the pirate vessel and we used all available cargo transporters to beam the crew to our ship... the core exploded. I await status reports.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
USS Argonaut
Stardate 120916

I am about to disembark the ship with my Bridge Team. Security and Marines were deployed to the Klingon Bird of Prey on the surface of the ShoValla planet, no life signs. I am taking science, intel and engineering down. Intel reports questioning of the rescued civilians confirms the pirates have access to Federation technology. Science says the false signals and communications seemed authentic because Federation technology was used to mask them. We need to find out more. Toocool out.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
USS Argonaut
Stardate 130111

<computer begin log>

Home. It hardly seems possible. I have avoided looking at a calendar to see how long I have been elsewhere. It seems funny to call this metallic spherical object orbiting a planet "home" but it has become that over the last two years. I have yet to leave sickbay, Dr Lane insists on keeping me 'under observation'. He is very thorough and kind, although I still have my trepidation whenever around medical technology, for fear it will reveal my secret. Thankfully my injuries are relatively minor, and I was lucky to avoid the pirates' experimental procedures, only because, I imagine, they thought they could get good money for a Starfleet Captain.

As I travelled with them as prisoner, I was aware of their mercenary and bloodthirsty character. Their thieving and violence and slavery of others is very much their own. Their use of extremely advanced technology and efforts to subvert authority is more than a wish for battle and 'honour'. I believe someone is using them, cautiously and carefully, as an instrument to destroy Starfleet in this Sector and perhaps elsewhere as well.

I have no evidence except my own instincts and common sense. These rough, uncouth and violent creatures are either masters of disguise able to hide their intelligence and skills behind their pirate manners, or they are in league with someone who has access to the highest technology, who has the skill and knowledge to use it effectively.

These thoughts and more go through my head while I lie trapped in a biobed.

Still, it is good to see the faces of many I missed, like Genny, my number one, who looks a little worn out but who carried the burden of command very well in my absence. David, my 2nd officer, I know stood by her and together they successfully completed out mission to find me and collect intelligence on pirate operations. Dolfke, they tell me, has been instrumental in my rescue, I would expect nothing less from our fiery security chief! Karl had his hands full with the Klingon ship used to find me. There are some new faces too, eager young cadets and our new Intel Officer has finally arrived after some adventures.

This Friday - 130111 - is two years since the day I landed here. It feels like just yesterday and ages ago at the same time. They have been preparing some celebration for it, I am told. There is much to be done, yet it all seems a blur.

I am still so tired. If I could just get down to Astraios, and walk in the sun, with the free wind in my hair, the smell of the blossoms in my nostrils... I would start to feel more myself.

<computer end log>
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
SS Astraios
Stardate 130113

What a day. It started with an Inspection and Ceremony, for which I was still scribbling my notes while getting dressed. Everyone turned out well in the new Dress Uniforms. We had the inspection, with Piper John, Kermie Mistwallow, Mac Gaelyth and Napuleone Rhode there to meet the Officers and Cadets. I then made my Birthday speech and presented the Awards and Promotions to the Astraios crew. All went well, and we were chatting at the end as we made our way down to the Garden Party area for some champagne.

Then SS Astraios Ops contacted me to say the solar activity was increasing, long range scans were down. "What now" was all I could think. We tried to continue with the festivities but reports started to come in of systems being affected. I advised the Civilian Authority and Mr Pooraka left to check on the planet shielding and prepare for civilian evacuation if needed.

Then OPs advised a huge flare had disrupted sensors but not before a glimpse had been made of Klingon ships headed our way - we surmise the solar storm affected their cloaking device.

We went to battlestations, and everyone returned SS Astraios. We evacuated all the civilians using shuttles, the last one had some difficulty but we were able to tractor it back to safety and most of the 80 aboard were fine. They were moved to the medical deck which has extra shielding. Triage was set up in cargo bay 2. OPs had its hands full transferring power to shields and weapons. Cadet Macintyre assisted on tactical as we began to fire upon the attacking ships - they did not respond to hails. Meantime Astraios Prime evacuated their civilians to shelters and increased power to their planet shield but advised they would be unable to power weapons.

We sent the Mak'ala to intercept, and although communications were spotty we were able to ascertain they were attacked and retreated with shields failing. We tried to get a message through to them to rendezvous with the Argonaut. A message was sent to the Argonaut to return to SS Astraios and engage the enemy, fastest possible speed.

We damaged the lead ship of three. We took fire and there is a hull breach on deck 15. Dr Highwater inoculated the OPs crew against radiation poisoning, I am told I am running a fever but there is no way I am going to quarters right now.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log

Cptn Poison Toocool
Stardate 130120
============

It's done.

We've disabled two of the Klingon ships and the third left in a hurry, its wings clipped. Teams have boarded the two vessels to take control, and beam survivors to the brig or to sickbay if warranted. I await a complete report on numbers. Once the ships are secured Science is to board them and examine computer records for any clue as to how they were able to affect the Astraionian sun and cause a massive solar storm. I remain convinced - as does Commander Markus - that these rogue warriors who thirst for latinum, trade in sentient life, and lust for 'honour'.... (a concept I find laughable given their actions) - simply don't have the 'smarts' to create the advanced technology they use. They are getting it from somewhere.

Commander Meth left Astraios before the ceremony and subsequent attack, to carry details of the pirate activity to the Klingon High Council. From her remarks, it appears she is of the opinion they will support any action we care to take against these mercenaries.

The ship's CMO wants me to rest so I am sitting in my borrowed quarters while Cmdr Markus and Captain Osbourne oversee repairs to the Argonaut and monitor the away teams. I chaft at the constraints to my freedom. Normally I would recommend some shore leave on Treman to relieve the tension but that's the last place I wish to be...

*sighs and walks to the replicator*

Earl Grey, hot.
A Brayburn apple, cold.

*takes her tea to the window and stands looking at the stairs. Sweat beads her brow, she wipes it absentmindedly.*
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log

Cptn Poison Toocool
Stardate 130203
============

We set course for the Astraios sun to seek the alien device deployed to cause havoc within the sector. Science examined the materials aboard the two captured pirate vessels and determined that magnetic pulses might assist us in locating it, but we would have to get closer. Engineering reported issues with our dilithium, we were restricted to warp 5. Communications reported a contact, which turned out to be a disabled civilian transport lost within the asteroid field, engines had failed, radiation levels rising, slowly being pulled toward the sun. The XO took a shuttle with medical, security and engineering to rescue them. Meanwhile we sent out the pulses and finally located the device. Science insisted it should not be brought aboard the ship as it would disable our systems, and recommended it be destroyed. I disagree, we must save it and examine it for data. Finally we sent an unmanned shuttle to take it aboard. The shuttle has been surrounded by a force field and we are tractoring it as we head away from the sun, the system and the sector into deep space. Tensions aboard the ship are very high, the heat was unbearable and medical has innoculated us again against radiation.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Stardate 130210
============

Against the advice of our Science Chief, I insisted we should capture the alien device orbiting the Astraios Sun for study. Tactical used an unmanned shuttle to retrieve it, the shuttle has extra force fields and shielding, we had it in tractor beam. We had a briefing to decide our next course of action. Argonaut shields at 87%, engineering advises no more than warp 5. It was felt that using warp might be dangerous due to magnetic emissions from the device. Helm to devise a course away from inhabited areas, full impulse. After department reports, science was assigned to find a way to increase power to shuttle internal sensors to try to locate the "off" switch on the device. We returned to the bridge.

Tactical advised at impulse power it would take days to move the devise far enough to lessen the impact on the Astraios system. I decided to increase to warp one, and then increase incrementally.

Tactical advised shields at level five would lessen the impact of the device on the Argonaut, but that would mean beaming a shield generator to the shuttle - dropping shields on both vessels.

We held to the new course, increasing speed by 1/2 factor, checking systems after each increase. Tractor beam held steady but hull integrity was compromised at warp three. We dropped to warp one.

Science then advised they had figured out a radio transmission would likely turn the device off. While they worked on that, the XO and tactical prepared a proble to be sent aft with messages for SS Astraios and Astraios Prime.

We managed to turn the device off. Our plan now is to control the shuttle remotely, flying it to an uninhabited space body, where we may land it. The shuttle is not big enough to hold a team as well as the device, and I am not going to beam it aboard the ship. If we land it somewhere, we may then examine the device away from the Argonaut.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain's Personal Log
Poison Toocool
Location: USS Argonaut, 2 LY or more trailing Sector Border, Grid 9
Stardate 130217
============

We piloted the unmanned shuttle out of the sector - as I wanted warp speed tractoring was not feasible. We moved into a relatively unknown area. Science reported a slight gravimetric pull, and surmised it might be due to a space body. However, lack of light and gravity suggested also the possibility of a black hole. We compared our chronometer with that of the communication bouy we had launched aft with messages for Astraios, and we were in sync, therefore we had not entered the event horizon.

Tactical located a large asteroid, we set course to intercept. As we approached, the shuttle began to veer from course and despite our efforts, continued to evade control and finally crashed on the surface. Helm reduced to impulse and put us in orbit of the asteroid at 50,000 kms. Due to the odd gravimetric eddy's and the proximity of asteroid, I was reluctant to lower shields, so the XO took a small away team down in another shuttle to examine the alien device and assess whether the first shuttle was salvagable.

Although I was privately beginning to doubt my desire to examine the alien device to determine its origins... we persevered. At that point helm reported an increase in gravimetric forces and engineering tried to compensate but our ability to hold orbit was decreasing... and we were following the asteroid's slow course towards the anomoly. The XO was informed and the away mission was cut short - we could only hope the data obtained from the close up examination would yield results.

The shuttle returned and our last action before leaving would be to destroy the device. The Away Team was checked in sick bay and then returned to the bridge, LTcmdr Bravin reported a headache but otherwise the three were fine.

I ordered helm to move the ship so the asteroid was between us and the anomoly, and perhaps reduce the pull on us. Gravimetric forces were causing a strain on the hull. Tactical destroyed the alien device, but the explosion was so severe the asteroid crumbled and we were hit by a shock wave. The ship spinning, and unable to use warp in case the strain on the ship was too great... all we could do was use thrusters to guide us as we moved helplessly toward the unseen.

The XO informed the bridge our chronometer was out of sync with that of the distant communications buoy.

We have entered the event horizon.

God help us.

Return to “SS Astraios Archives”