Duty Post: Captain/CO
Ship/Station Posted: USS Baker NCC-221
Grid: Second Life

================
Commanding Officer's Log
Ready Room, SS Astraios
Stardate 120130
================

I sit on the couch in my ready room, sipping tepid Earl Grey, grateful for an hour of quiet contemplation. Thinking about the year that has passed and all that occured in it. I can hardly believe it's been that long since I set foot here, on Astraios Prime... watched the Welcome Centre and space station be assembled by a team of UFS Engineers... so many meetings, discussions, confusion over procedures... the first class taught to the first cadet... the technological difficulties caused by the climate on the planet and the sub space eddies around it... the many missions, some of hope, with hands extended eagerly to new friends; some of disappointment and challenge; some of scientific curiosity... the family that has grown very slowly but with great determination. There were times when we faltered, when we were unsure of how to cope with the difficulties, but together we made it this far. I am sure there were those who felt we would not survive. But we did. I have no doubt the coming year will bring its share of trials and tribulations, but there isn't anyone I would rather face it with than the Starfleet family at Astraios.
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

================
Commanding Officer's Log
Ready Room, SS Astraios
Stardate 120216
================

Stardate 120205 was a proud day for me, to stand in the Auditorium of SS Astraios, looking out on officers and civilians, friends and visitors, talking about the past year... personally handing out promotions and awards. Since then I've been busy drafting procedural documents and discussing guidelines for research and exploration in this Sector. It seems to me our first year was spent getting our feet solidly on the ground, establishing relationships, charting the local systems, recruiting and training. Perhaps even getting to know one another. We are far from Pinastri, there is no one to call for back-up without compromising the secrecy of the Ionian Gateway. Just like the crew of Voyager, we are in our own way, thrown together on this journey of ours, but holding to the principles and directives of the Federation... yet instead of trying to get back home... we are trying to make home. Even with the forces sometimes marshalled against us, I believe we are succeeding. We have fast friends and supporters on Astraios Prime and the Civilian Authority appreciates our efforts to keep the planet and sector safe from harm.

Still... these continued acts of sabotage, the knowledge that someone is able to get through our security net somehow... I worry our ships are in danger... each call for help could be an ambush. Since the Ion Storm that hit us last year... I have been aware that there is a power working against us here. Why, I can't yet say. Who, I do not know.

What I do know is that we need to be ever more vigilent, and totally prepared for anything that might come our way. I am instigating frequent Battle Drills and twice weekly inspections effective immediately.
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Captain's Ball,
Ceremony Hall,
UFS Pinastri
Stardate 120218
============

It's great to be here. It's a long way from the Gamma Quadrant to the Delta Quadrant but I wouldn't miss it. Just a couple weeks ago, we at Astraios celebrated our first year of Operations. I'm sure many, including me, never thought we'd make it that far, but we did.

The Astraios Prime Community (3rd Rock Grid) have been very supportive; Osky Oldrich gave us a wonderful station and colony to work in; the Admiral keeps his eye on us *winks* ...but most of all, the people who joined UFS there have made us strong. I believe that.

Some really good people braved a world beyond what was known (Second Life)... and I'm really glad to see other worlds (grids) now building too.

Today I brought with me my Security Chief, LT Dolfke Barbosa. A dedicated officer, so devoted, so active... and she is only one of the family I am privileged to work with.

I am so glad that you, Admiral, and the other members of Command entrusted me with Astraios.

I am proud to serve.

Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

================
Commanding Officer's Log
Ready Room, SS Astraios
Stardate 120305
================

We weathered another solar storm yesterday. It caused intermittant problems with transporting, communications, and sensors. It also played havoc with my nerves, which seemed to jangle all day long. Perhaps it is the core of me, the one that is asexual and multiplural, who feels such things so acutely. I wear humanoid form all day and half the night... once I took a shuttle to one of the Astraios moons which has an atmosphere and low gravity... and ran over the rocks in my wolf form, free of all cares and concerns. I wish sometimes I knew other Chameloids... and knew whether keeping one form for so long is healthy. But there are so few of us, scattered throughout the 4 quadrants. No other species can readily identify us or easily find us, and that is how it should be...

The storm passed and all systems are back to normal. I am expected in Pinastri next weekend for another official function. I await communication from USS Mak'ala with a report on the covert mission they have undertaken, using the Antares freighter 'The Starfish'. I have completed my standard reading of last month's records and logs, adding supplementals as needed.

It is dark down below, on our side of Astraios Prime. I will take an apple and beam down to the gardens for a midnight walk. I need fresh air.

Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard USS Mak'ala
Stardate 120326
Location- unknown

Upon exiting the entrails of the Takaar Nebula we were attacked by an unknown vessel. Still reeling from the affects of the anomoly, shields weak, we decided to make a run for it. At warp 7.87 we entered some kind of spatial vortex. Spinning, we finally came to rest at an undetermined location. We have to get systems back on line as soon as possible.

Morale is reasonably good.
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard USS Mak'ala
Stardate 120401
Location- unknown

Our ship, battered and bruised from a trip through the Takaar Nebula, attempting to escape from a hostile alien vessel, leaps into warp just as a spatial vortex appears and pulls the ship into unknown space. Now without warp drive, external sensors, or long range communications, dealing with hull breaches and other damage, concerned that the alien ship may be nearby... we decide to launch a shuttle and have it feed coordinates to our Helm in order to negotiate a course. We found an unknown binary system with an uninhabited planet, and managed to get there at one quarter impulse... but without our guidance system, our orbit began to degrade and we are in danger of entering planet atmosphere without shields...
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard USS Mak'ala
Stardate 120408
Location- unknown

The damage we sustained by travelling through the Takaar Nebula left us without sensors, no warp, minimal shields, and several hull breeches. Our shuttle guided us to a Class L planetoid and we attempted to put the ship in orbit to effect repairs. Without our guidance system, and with several major systems offline, we were unable to sustain our position and began to slip into the planet atmosphere. Just as we decided to try landing on the planet, an Alien Intruder came aboard and began to talk about taking samples of life forms aboard. With shields at 50%, we were in peril from the atmospheric entry. I had to focus on getting the ship safely to ground while also dealing with the Alien. As we began to leave space and the ship began to experience turbulence, the Alien left. We managed to get through the atmosphere and land safely on the planet with little additional damage. To our dismay, the Alien had not left the ship without a "sample". Dr Genny7 Markus is missing.
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard USS Mak'ala
Stardate 120415
Location- unknown

After safely landing on the unknown Class L planetoid we took stock of our situation. Engineering needed at least 6 hours to repair minimal systems, and several days for full repair, including hull breaches. I ordered our Marines to be deployed around the ship whilst we took 3 teams with us to rescue Dr Markus. Green team and blue team fanned out right and left. I, with my Security chief and Science chief, along with a medical technicican to assist if Dr Markus was injured... led the main away team to search for the Dr. We suffered some hallucinations and my tricorder readings were mangled, but we managed to locate Dr Markus at last, with the Alien Entity. After some discussion, I concluded the Alien was not going to negotiate, so I ordered the security teams to attack. The Alien vanished. We were able to free the Doctor and take her back to the ship but... she doesn't seem to know who she is. I also was injured on the mission but damage was minimal and Cadet Spingflower cared for me in the field with dispatch. My left shoulder is bothering me, but no other issues. Now we play a waiting game... while engineering works round the clock to get us into space again.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard USS Mak'ala
Stardate 120422
Location- unknown

I'm still shaking my head.... as we began to leave this dusty planetoid all stations reported in good shape for the trip through the atmosphere. We had hardly travelled 4,000 kilometers before things started to unravel. There was a fire in engineering, and then .... a section of deck 5 decompressed as well. I decided to keep the ship in stationkeeping whilst we dealt with these problems. All was resolved and we moved again, only to have a a failure of life support reported. I had noticed the doctor was saying things about life at this point... but didn't think anything of it. Security reported the fire in engineering had been sabatoge, and access logs showed the doctor had been there... which seemed odd, since she'd been kidnapped by the alien and then off duty until today. She requested to go back to sickbay but, with reluctance, I ordered security take her to her quarters... suddently security reported she had escaped... her comm badge was located in cargo bay 2, meanwhile a shuttle was launched without authorization. We were forced, eventually, to fire on the shuttle and use a tractor beam to return it to the ship, whilst the Alien Entity materialized outside the shuttle and the Doctor said she had to go with it... but begged for help. Finally I ordered security to fire black matter at the Alien, drop shields, beam the doctor to sick bay and raise shields again. We got her... and left the planet atmosphere. OPs reports an alien vessel 10 light years from our position... will this never end.
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard USS Mak'ala
Stardate 120429
Location- unknown

We said goodbye to the Class L planetoid that sheltered us during 5 days of repairs to USS Mak'ala, fighting off the Alien Entity which attempted to re-kidnap the Doctor as we left. We set a course to find the point where we entered this system, hoping that now, with full sensors, we could figure out a way back. The Alien Vessel that lurked 10 light years away on the edge of sensor range suddenly leaped forward to 5 light years distance. In the meantime, we were getting readings from the wormhole and science concluded that it was too small for us to use. It was decided that a phaser blast or two might encourage it to increase diameter, we tried that and failed. The Alien Vessel then appeared 2 light years from us, but travelling away. Security suggested torpedoes might effect the wormhole. Science suggested we recreate the situation that got us into the vortex: two ships firing on each other. I didn't like the sound of that! Then Helm made an observation... it seemed that the Alien Vessel was... us. The wormhole was causing a rift in subspace and time around us was in flux. The mirror of us seemed to be at the point where we had entered the system. We opened hailing frequencies and had our signal repeated back to us. Then that ship launched a shuttle and we realized... they had no sensors or communications due to the damage of the wormhole. They were about to re-live what we had just been through!
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard USS Mak'ala
Stardate 120506
Location- unknown

It was decided the best course of action was to tractor the second Mak'ala, extending our shields to protect it, whilst together entering the wormhole. We transmitted these instructions through the alternate LTcmdr Barbosa and LT Bravin on the shuttle, and asked them to dock the shuttle so we could execute this maneuver.... we also informed them we would be beaming a communications drone to Mak'ala2 in order to assist us in transmissions. Permission was given for this. Helm carefully turned our ship and we approached tractor range without incidence, and engaged the beam. We began our calculations for detonation of torpedoes and phasers while setting course with impulse engines for the coordinates science set as being the most advantageous. Science read a third vessel in the wormhole... data showed it to be a third Mak'ala, and it was determined that the first two Mak'ala's must enter the wormhole together before the third one exits. We are running out of time. Our tractor beam began to fail. Searching for a cause, it seemed energy from a singularity was affecting the stability of our emitters. It seemed to be a mellatic asteroid, passing near our position, raising some concerns. We didn't appear to be under attack however we went to red alert and sent more power to the tractor beam, attempting to shield both ships from any adverse effects. We swooped into position and prepared to fire on the entrance of the wormhole. Suddenly there was an explosion on the torpedo deck. Security, medical and engineering were sent on the double, two crew were hurt but torpedo launchers unaffected. Both ships must now fire on the precise spot, coordinates have been sent to Mak'ala2 and all are standing by. We all hope this plan works.
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard USS Mak'ala
Stardate 120520
Location: 14 lightyears spinward of SS Astraois, on the far side of the Takaar Nebula

Back in the Astraios Sector, we had a brief rendezvous with the USS Marco Polo before they left at top speed to meet the rest of the Task Force engaged in sweeping the sector for pirate activity. We moved to 50,000 kilometers from the wormhole and remained at stationkeeping while engineering repaired our aft shields. This gave science and tactical time to launch a probe and gather data on the vortex. We were surprised to find sensor logs showed tachyon eddies at either end of the wormhole. Further investigation revealed an unsubstantiated report in the cultural archives on Astraios Prime of a Borg sphere being seen near Treman. The data is several decades old and it was dismissed at the time as a hoax. As we continued our repairs and sensor sweep, we discovered an object in the wormhole. Red alert. It emerged near our position and was identified immediately as the metallic asteroid that had passed us when we were lost on the other side of the vortex. We sent friendship messages on all frequencies. With the help of the probe we had launched to extend scanning range... we realized this appeared to be a Borg sphere. "Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 300" hailed us, he seem perturbed that we had used their corridor without permission, and curious about our home.
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard USS Mak'ala
Stardate 120603
Location: 14 lightyears spinward of SS Astraois, on the far side of the Takaar Nebula

An interesting encounter. A bit of suspense. We found ourselves facing a Borg sphere after emerging from the wormhole and stopping to repair our shields... taking the time to scout the area a bit for the sake of science. Our sensors could not penetrate the shields of their vessel, they didn't appear hostile, but it was hard to know. After some exchange, "1 of 300" agreed to let an away team come aboard. There we found he was alone aboard an ailing vessel, eking out a living "renting" the use of wormhole to anyone willing to pay. He insisted we owed him something for using the vortex twice. I agreed to repair his ship in exchange, and we invited him aboard Mak'ala as the Doctor was concerned with his health. He is in sickbay now. As far as I'm concerned, he's being confined under Federation Laws for aiding and abetting criminal activity in the Sector. Yet my heart goes out to him. Despite his arrogance, I sense someone lost and alone.
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard Unimatrix 300
Stardate 120610
Location: 14 lightyears spinward of SS Astraois, on the far side of the Takaar Nebula - or thereabouts

Three days here, repairing a Borg sphere against my better judgement, on behalf of '1 of 300', who has been in our sick bay the whole time. A vessel approaching at high speed turns out to be none other than Zhieela Brruxls, a pirate we met on Treman some weeks ago. Her goal? Get the sphere for herself. We engaged in a battle of words... and phasers... and we took some heavy fire. Science warned that another vessel was coming through the wormhole... I doubted it would be friendly. I ordered Tactical to destroy Zhieela's ship. As I paused, another round of phaser fire took out our weapons. I immediately ordered the Mak'ala to prepare to move away at warp, and told the engineering team aboard the sphere to coordinate with OPs so we could beam an away team over there. We successfully transported and the Mak'ala moved off. '1 of 300' seemed willing to help, we were able to target the sphere's weapons on the pirate vessel. I was on the verge of saying "FIRE" when Science informed me there were civilian prisoners aboard Zhieela's ship. She shot at us once, and took off through the wormhole, the other vessel - perhaps coming to meet her - joined her. I ordered the sphere to follow them. We have to save those people from the slavers.
Poison Toocool
Command - Admiral
Command - Admiral

Personal Log

Cpt Poison Toocool
aboard Unimatrix 300
Stardate 1206017

We headed into the transwarp conduit in pursuit of the two pirate vessels. The bridge crew struggled to operate the sphere. '1 of 300' was put into temporary sickbay after collapsing from fever but was able to assist on comms when needed. We came across some wreckage, which turned out to be one of the pirate vessels - not Zhieela's, more's the pity - and as we passed through it, we experienced 3 major explosions, one penetrated the shields and penetrated the hull. As we got closer to the exit, communications were jammed, security reported an intruder on board, it was identified as the Alien Entity and then she disappeared from scans. Security scoured the ship while we exited the wormhole. We found the systems erratic, going in and out, some consoles shocking operators, shields and weapons failing, but we managed to get through an asteroid belt and find Zhieela's ship. She wasn't happy to see us, accused us of disabling her ship, and said she would execute the youngest girl child if we didn't stop. We fired on her shield emitters, locked on the prisoners, lowered our shields, got them over, and disabled her engines. With systems affected by a virus, and an alien entity on board, we turned and opened the wormhole, and headed home through the transwarp conduit at warp one, looking out for mines. Just then we heard a scream.

Return to “SS Astraios Archives”