111002 - SS Astraios Mission - "Stormy Weather"

Starfleet re-established its first Colony in the Gamma Quadrant on Astraios Prime on stardate 110111. SS Astraios is a space-station in high orbit above the planet Astraios Prime, to help with its protection and provide a base for the local fleet. UFS Astraios Colony and SS Astraios are tasked with the mission of ‘broadening horizons’ within the Gamma Quadrant, by exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new civilisations.

The opportunity for roleplay Missions is enhanced by the ready availability of a wide variety of locations. As well as the space station SS Astraios and on board NPC ships, including our flagship the Galaxy-class USS Neil Armstrong, there are locations on Astraios Prime (both within the Colony’s many Starfleet regions and on the rest of the planet) and more, both on 3rd Rock Grid and other Grids via the Hypergrid.

In addition to role-play, UFS Astraios hosts a weekly Starfleet Boogie each Tuesday and various events throughout the year.

Roleplay Times: Friday Noon SL
Commanding Officer: Alia Soulstar
Executive Officer: Ellemir Maven

Moderators: Ellemir Maven, Alia Soulstar

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

================
Sector Commander's Log
SS Astraios Ready Room
Stardate 110929
Position: Orbit of Astraios Prime
================

Astraois Prime Civilian Authority has been reporting interference with their communications for the past few days. What started as an occasional problem has now manifested into a global issue. SS Astraois Sciences have been assessing the problem and have found the cause: solar flare activity on a scale we have not seen before. We assume that the station, being well-shielded, will not have an issue. However, as the coronal mass ejection connects with the planet's magnetic field, high energy particles will be injected into the magnetosphere... solar magnetic fields will fold around Astraois... a region may be created around the planet that could cause problems to unprotected astronauts and any unshielded satellites. Radiation sickness and cellular damage could run rampant on the surface. I have recalled our Saber Class vessel, USS Marco Polo (NCC-61338) to the Sector and have deployed our other available ships to patrol our borders and warn any inbound traffic. Medical is standing by. Engineering is working around the clock to ensure the station is prepared for this event, and also to assist the Civilian Authority to strengthen its protective shielding. Civilians who live in remote areas are most in danger, an evacuation plan has been put in place to assist them to move to sheltered areas. If the predicted flare activity occurs as expected, the first wave of this 'space weather' will hit us in a matter of hours.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

CREW MANIFEST

Captain: LT Cmdr Karl Quar
Security / OPS / Helm: LT Dolfke Barbosa
Sciences / Engineering: Ensign David7 Bravin
Medical: Ensign Genny7 Markus

Observer, Astraios Civilian Authority: Zinnia Frenzy
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

MISSION IMAGES

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

==========================
Reporting:
Rank, Name: Lt Cmdr Karl Quar
Position: Captain / Mission Leader
Stardate: 111002

Log entry:

SS Astraios Sciences found out there is a major sun outburst, manifested by heavy solar flares, giving the whole planet bad and stormy weather. In consequence of the solar storm that we have to face, the Marco Polo took off from Astraios to help the civilian population exposed to danger in our sector. We had a representative of civil authority aboard.

We detected a call for help from an isolated and unprotected outpost, located in a very cold area. Our ship landed near the base. We were able to rescue the almost frozen people in this outpost. First aid has been given and people were evacuated to SS Astraios, aboard the Marco Polo despite the poor protection shields of our ship.

We quickly docked at SS Astraios and all civilians were transported to the sickbay.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: LT Dolfke Barbosa
Position: Security/Tactical/Helm

Log entry:

SS Astraios Sciences reported heavy solar flares would give the whole planet bad and stormy weather. This solar storm could be highly radioactive, so the civilians on Astraios Prime need to be shielded or protected.

Zinnia Frenzy, acting for the Astraios Prime Civilian Authority, was send to us to assist our rescue attempts. Commander Toocool called the Saber Class vessel, USS Marco Polo (NCC-61338) back to setup any help we should provide.

USS Marco Polo arrived at 12:10, just when security picked up a weak signal from a group of 20 civilians on a far outpost, they seemed to have no shelter.
Captain Quar ordered a rescue mission, the Marco Polo has full Symmetrical Subspace Graviton Field Shields, with a frequency range of 23 percent of EM Spectrum, that we hoped would hold off any radiation.

Miss Frenzy advised us to take Iodium tablets, our doctor agreed on that.
As science told us we could not beam up the outpost civilians with shields raised, we need to get down to the surface, which is possible with a Sabre Class, being a relative small and robust Starship.

So the Helm guided our ship safe to the surface, where we found an Icy deserted landscape. Due to an upcoming blizzard we could only land 2 kilometers from the people we were trying to rescue. We had to walk a long and dangerous pathway high over the snowy mountains. I fell off, and needed medical treatment.

We headed for a distant building, the sensors told us the people were hiding there. Science found us a way through the massive walls, and we found 20 almost frozen people, with no really protection at all, exposed to the high radiation.

Despite the danger, our captain ordered to beam them directly to our Ship, which was using all available power to maintain the shields due to the solar storm.

Our only salvation was in a quick return to SS Astraios, back under the protection of the powerful shields of our station. We were lucky the starship is in orbit of the planet, so we did not have to travel far to reach help. With heavy radiation burns we managed to reach Astraios just in time to beam us direct to the sickbay for treatment.

As our civilian watcher, Miss Frenzy was not happy with the integrity of the shields on the Marco Polo, she told us she will write a report regarding that issue.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ensign Genny7 Markus
Position: Medical

Log Entry:

As requested, I made a medical report to the Captain (Lt. Cmdr. Karl Quar) on the possible consequences of the radiation from the solar flares to the station, colony and civilian areas, recommending that everyone take adequate shelter and precautions. I also informed the Captain that I had ensured that we had sufficient supplies of iodine tablets for distribution, as a necessary form of prophylactic treatment.

Unfortunately, the Civilian Observer (Zinnia Frenzy) from the Astraios Prime Civilian Authority, got everyone confused by her misunderstanding of the situation. Precious time was therefore wasted by myself and the Science Officer (Ensign David7 Bravin) having to explain the recommended course of action.

We had just been assigned aboard the USS Marco Polo when Ops (Lt. Dolfke Barbosa) announced that there were 20 workers without shelter at an outpost on Astraios Prime. We therefore set off for the planet, to give assistance to the workers at the outpost.

We landed as near to the outpost and wearing protective clothing walked towards a large building from which we were getting 20 life signs. We found all the workers in the building. They were suffering from exposure to the freezing temperatures that were prevailing at the time, but were otherwise in good health. We teleported the workers back to our ship so that they could be taken care of, and then beamed back ourselves.

In leaving Astraios Prime, our Security Officer informed us that the ship's shields were failing. As such I recommended that everyone aboard take the iodine tablets (that I had distributed earlier) as a precaution against radiation sickness.

We soon arrived back at SS Astraios where I checked that the crew and the 20 workers that we had rescued were all well. I then made enquiries of Medical Staff of any adverse effects on personnel on the Station and civilians on the planet below.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ensign David7 Bravin
Position: Science/Engineering

Log Entry:

Whilst reporting to the Captain (Lt. Cmdr. Quar) on the nature and effects of solar flares, we were joined by a Civilian Observer (Zinnia Frenzy) from the Astraios Prime Authority. My report was constantly interrupted by the Civilian Observer, making it very difficult for me to give the necessary (and correct) information to the Captain. I was particularly aggrieved that my qualifications and the accuracy of my report was questioned by the Civilian Observer, who later admitted to simply being "a paper pusher".

Aboard the USS Marco Polo, Security / Ops (Lt. Barbosa) reported that the short range scanners had found 20 workers at a Colonial Outpost on Astraios Prime, with no shelter from the effects of the solar flare. The Captain ordered that we leave SS Astraios and head for the Outpost, with a view to getting the workers to safety.

On arriving above the outpost, we found that the effects of the solar flare made teleporting the workers up to the ship impossible. We were therefore forced to land as near to the Outpost as we could.

Wearing suitable protective clothing, we left the ship and walked towards the Outpost. Scanning for life signs we soon discovered that the workers had taken refuge in a large building. We therefore entered the building and found that the workers were suffering the effects of the extremely cold weather. The Captain ordered that the workers be beamed aboard the USS Marco Polo, followed by the away team.

Back aboard the ship, Ops reported that the use of the teleporters, under such extreme conditions, had weakened the ships’ shields. I therefore advised the Captain that our return to SS Astraios should made as quick as possible. Under the circumstances, the ship's Doctor (Ensign Markus) advised all the crew to take the iodine tablets, that she had distributed earlier, as a precaution against radiation sickness.

We all arrived back to SS Astraios safe and sound, having carried out what proved to be a successful rescue mission.

Despite this, the Civilian Observer stated that she had been making notes of (as she saw it) our shortcomings and that she would be reporting her findings to the powers that be. For the record, I believe that her comments during the briefing and the away mission, were unhelpful and hindered our efforts.

=A=

Return to “SS Astraios”