110508 "Dishonour" - SS Astraios/USS Argonaut Mission

Starfleet re-established its first Colony in the Gamma Quadrant on Astraios Prime on stardate 110111. SS Astraios is a space-station in high orbit above the planet Astraios Prime, to help with its protection and provide a base for the local fleet. UFS Astraios Colony and SS Astraios are tasked with the mission of ‘broadening horizons’ within the Gamma Quadrant, by exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new civilisations.

The opportunity for roleplay Missions is enhanced by the ready availability of a wide variety of locations. As well as the space station SS Astraios and on board NPC ships, including our flagship the Galaxy-class USS Neil Armstrong, there are locations on Astraios Prime (both within the Colony’s many Starfleet regions and on the rest of the planet) and more, both on 3rd Rock Grid and other Grids via the Hypergrid.

In addition to role-play, UFS Astraios hosts a weekly Starfleet Boogie each Tuesday and various events throughout the year.

Roleplay Times: Friday Noon SL
Commanding Officer: Alia Soulstar
Executive Officer: Ellemir Maven

Moderators: Ellemir Maven, Alia Soulstar

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

======================
Sector Commander's Log
Stardate 110505
======================

This week I met with the Captains of the six vessels who arrived from Pinastri. They had docked with SS Astraios and we had a formal dinner in my Ready Room to discuss the situation. Engineering teams went over the vessels. The Argonaut was then deployed to make a sweep of the Sector while we consulted with Starfleet Command about our next move.

Today, I had taken the time to invite some junior officers to the Galileo Classroom for an impromptu class. Commodore Darren Reiner arrived unexpectedly, and contacted me on a private channel to say he needed to speak with me with regard to information he carrried from Admiral Calhoun. I explained I was conducting a class and would be free in a short amount of time. He wished to come into the classroom to say hello to personnel.

He had arrived on Academy deck and we were all exchanging pleasantries when an urgent call from SS Astraios was received. A Klingon Bird of Prey had decloaked within weapons range. We had received no communications from them and were indeed unaware that the Klingon Empire had any vessels in the Gamma Quadrant that were anywhere close to our position. Senior staff immediately beamed aboard the Station and I ordered yellow alert: shields up but weapons *not* to be charged.

The Klingon vessel was scanned. It seemed to be much the worse for wear. A small crew, and a mix of Klingon and other species. They hailed us. A Captain Koloyth identified himself and ordered us to drop shields and surrender. After an exchange of communications we surmised that this ship belonged to Klingon insurgents and that they were likely after the information that Commodore Reiner had brought with him from the Delta Quadrant.

They charged weapons and began to fire on the Station. I called Red Alert, and sent an urgent communication to Astraios Prime Civilian Authority to advise that planetary defenses should be engaged. An encoded message was also sent to the USS Argonaut asking them to return to our position at the highest possible speed.

I ordered Tactical to fire upon the Klingon ship. I was sure our defences were more than adequate to deal with one rusty Bird of Prey and a Klingon captain who was probably more bark than bite. We deployed our small fleet of vessels, most are meant for scientific exploration or medical research, but they would assist to keep Koloyth busy. Then tactical detected additional Klingon ships decloaking. Their trajectory would bring them to us in a short amount of time. The Argonaut would not reach us before the rest of the Klingons were in weapons range.

The situation was dire.

Commodore Reiner then ordered us to open hailing frequencies to the Bird of Prey. He offered to exchange himself for our safety. Against my protests, he ordered that shields be dropped so he could be beamed aboard their vessel. Shields were dropped for the few milliseconds it takes to allow for transport and he was beamed away. The Klingon vessel then left the vicinity.

The station, the colony and Astraios Prime were then left facing the threat of the additional ships heading for our location. The five ships in the fleet deployed in an attack posture, putting themselves between the Klingon insurgents and Astraios Prime.

The Klingons never arrived.

We assumed at first that they had cloaked and followed their compatriot. But upon further examination of the data collected by the various vessls and SS Astraios, we realized we had been the subject of an elaborate hoax. Our sensors had been effected by the jamming technology of a cloaked probe launched into the Sector some time before the Klingon insurgents arrived. It had transmitted sensor data to us that was received and confirmed as evidence of several ships on route to our position. And we had been so busy dealing with the immediate threat of disruptors and torpedoes aimed at the fully staffed station...

As of now I had informed Starfleet Command of these events. We are ordered to use any means at our disposal to rescue the Commodore. USS Argonaut will be here within the hour. I have ordered Tactical Officer Ens. Dolfke Barbosa and Sector Chief Engineering LT Cmdr Karl Quar to accompany me aboard the vessel. Time is of the essence.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

CREW MANIFEST

Command: LTjg Poison Toocool
Helm/Engineering: LT Cmdr Karl Quar
Tactical: Ens. Dolfke Barbosa

Director of Colonization: Commodore Darren Reiner

GUEST Aliens:
Kadrya (Klingon XO/CO) - Ensign Alia Soulstar
Koloth (Klingon CO) - Ensign Astro Balut
Ur'uk (Klingon Engineer) - Cadet Jimbob Ross

Observing:
Cadet Lilly Pop
Civilian Lisa Louis
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

MISSION IMAGES

TEACHING

KADRYA & COMMODORE

ABOARD USS ARGONAUT

ENSIGN BARBOSA, TACTICAL/CONN

ON CLOAKED SHUTTLE

AT INSURGENT BASE CAMP: KADRYL, COMMODORE, PIRATE

COMMODORE DARREN REINER

KLINGON PIRATE

COMMANDER POISON TOOCOOL & LT CMDR KARL QUAR

KLINGON LEADER, KADRYL, ELIMINATED

CAPTURED BIRD OF PREY
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ensign Dolfke Barbosa
Position: Security/Tactical

Stardate 110505

During a routine class given by our Sector Commander, we received an unexpected visit from Commodore Darren Reiner. Suddenly OPS detected a Klingon Warbird, on collision course with our beloved Star Station. SC declared Red Alert, and all personnel ran to station's OPS to defend the colony. Captain Koloyth of the Klingon Insurgency hailed us and claimed this station as their latest asset, "prepare to be boarded". The Klingon Insurgency is a pirate collective. Commodore Reiner is carrying secret dispatches from Admiral Calhoun, and he suspects the Klingon Insurgency is looking for those. Science detects a Klingon fleet of a dozen Warbirds approaching the Colony, but not already in firing range. As Intrepid Class vessel USS Argonaut is on a day travel from Astraios, they are not available for immediate assistance, our SC decides to launch all available Vessels, attack formation Viper Apha Omega. In an attempt to save our Star Base from Klingon disruptors, Commodore Reiner proposes the Klingon Captain to board the Warbird as hostage. Ens. Barbosa offers the Commodore to accompany him, but he refuses, as he feels he will not be returning.

SC Toocool contacts Starfleet Pinastri to report the loss of the Commodore, and will try to gain more Military Support for the Colony in the Future. Tactical sends a coded signal to the most powerful Starship we have in the Gamma Quadrant, the USS Argonaut, to prepare to hunt down the Klingon Warbird for the dreadful Captain Koloyth.

=Log Continues, Stardate 110508=

Intrepid Class USS Argonaut arrived finally at high Warp to the Colony, and our away team was beamed aboard. Captain Hars Darax gave the command of his Vessel to our SC, who took her off immediately.

It was not easy to find any trace of the Klingon Warbird. Lt. Cmdr. Quar finally managed to pick up the Ion trail of the Insurgents. Captain Toocool ordered me to fire a Quantum Torpedo, so our instruments were able to pickup a visual of the hidden Bird of Prey, but we did not return fire because the Commodore. When our Ship came closer, we were suddenly under fire from a de-cloaking vessel.

Communication channels opened to Captain Koloth gave only the knowledge that he was murdered by his own crew, because he harmed their "cause" and a Captain named Kadrya threatened to torture and kill our Commodore. She did not give her word of honour to not harm him, like captain Koloth did.

On the verge of losing trail of the Klingon ship in an asteroid belt, Lt. Cmdr. Quar suggested to use a cloaked Runabout to pursue them, giving the Argonaut the opportunity to set a course to the other side of the Belt. I strongly opposed to use the cloak, because Federation Treaty forbid the use of any cloaked ship, but our SC saw no other opportunity to rescue the Commodore, so she took the hard decision : make it so, Lt. Cmdr. Quar.

The Klingons could not see the runabout on their scanners. We discovered the Bird of Prey IN an Asteroid, and beamed to her. We found the Klingons on the verge of executing Commodore Reiner. SC Toocool and Lt. Cmdr. Quar tried to divert the Klingons, while I ran to the Commodore to protect him with my life. During the intense Phaser fire, Lt. Cmdr. Quar was heavily injured, but I could lead the severely wounded and tortured Commodore to our Runabout.

In the end, all Klingons were killed, they fought to their last breath. Klingon honor was their last word. The Commodore told us he was never afraid, and kept telling the Klingons his fine Crew from Astraios would liberate him, and bring them to trial for abducting him.

=A=

Reporting:
Rank, Name: LT Cmdr Karl Quar
Position: Helm/Engineering

Stardate 110508

We were informed that the Klingon pirates have invaded our solar system. Commodore Darren Reiner was taken prisoner. We immediately went to rescue him. Our ship has tracked the ion path recently left the Klingons in space, although they were using a system making their ship invisible to our sensors ... We finally boarded a shuttle that we managed to have a cloaking system too, and we succeeded to reach the place of detention of the Commodore. He had been chained and, thanks to a daring assault led by our Commandant Poison TooCool, we managed to deliver him safe ... Let's hope the Klingon pirates have learned their lesson.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

================================
Reporting:
Rank, Name: LTjg Poison Toocool
Position: Captain/CO
Stardate: 110508
================================

We boarded USS Argonaut at 110508.1216 to commence the search for the Klingon Bird of Prey with Director of Colonization, Commodore Darren Reiner, aboard. There was no doubt in my mind that the Insurgents would do anything in their power to obtain the information he has. While I was sure he would resist all attempts to extract knowledge of UFS defenses and strategic operations, my orders were to use any means possible to get him back. His life and the safety of the Federation depended on us.

Upon entering the Argonaut bridge, Captain Hars Darax passed command of the vessel to me and took the position of XO for the mission. We had discussed this prior to my arrival. He felt, and I agreed, that my intimate knowledge of the Sector made it logical for me to take the conn in this instance. I had no doubt of his skill or capabilities but in the circumstances every little advantage we could use made it paramount that we ignore pride or ego and focus on the needs of the one we were attempting to save.

Weapons operational, long range scanners ready. We detected their ion trail and extrapolated a course based on what data we had. I gave orders to follow them at warp factor 9 on my mark, yellow alert. I had a plan in the back of my mind I had not shared with anyone except Lt Cmdr Quar. Prior to embarking we had beamed certain black market technologies onto the Argonaut. These had been obtained during security patrols of the Sector whilst searching a Cardassian freighter that was travelling through Astraios space without proper clearance. I hoped we would not have to use it but...

The Argonaut sped with all due speed along the trail of the Klingon vessel. Nothing was on scans. I ordered a set of probes be launched, configured to look for energy signatures consistent with the use of a cloaking device. The extension of sensor range supported by the probes was successful. From energy readings and visual topography we were able to extrapolate the probable position of their vessel. Although they were at warp, their under-maintained ship was not able to compete with the engines of the Argonaut.

At this point I made the choice to alert them to our presence. I ordered tactical to prepare a firing solution for photon torpedo, coordinates set to deliberately miss the Bird of Prey but to light up their shields for us. They de-cloaked, charging weapons, we went to Red Alert.

Nothing happened.

We sped towards them, weapons on-line, holding our breath as the goal was to negotiate for the release of the Commodore, not have a barroom brawl. Suddenly they disappeared. From the sensor data gathered in those brief moments of non-activity, it appeared they had begun to change course while their cloak was being engaged. It is unusual for a Klingon to turn tail and run, I could only presume they had a plan to ambush us. The Argonaut would be a marvelous prize.

Using the data from our tactical scans we plotted a course and increased speed to warp factor 9.5. Readings became stronger as we travelled, leading me to believe we were on the right track. We were outside of communications range but Ensign Barbosa suggested we use the probes as a relay for our signal. Engineering worked with operations to make it so and we were able to open hailing frequencies.

Bearing in mind my knowledge of Klingons, I stood in the centre of the viewscreen and shouted in a firm voice. They might have laughed to see a diminutive Drow-like female take an aggressive posture. “Koloyth, this is USS Argonaut. Request you return the Commodore or suffer the consequences!”

No reply.

I hailed Commander Koloyth again. Finally, a female Klingon answered my signal, informing me that Koloyth was no more. She identified herself as Kadrya, leader of the faction aboard the Bird of Prey. I informed her that I was in command of the USS Argonaut and demanded she return the Commodore immediately. She replied with some insults.

Tactical advised it was still difficult to target the Klingon vessel as they were cloaked. I told Kadrya we had the warship in our sights and could take them out with one quantum torpedo. She threatened to kill the Commodore if we fired upon their ship.

At this point our options were slim. Assuming we could pinpoint their exact location and fire directly on them, they might harm the Commodore. We were unable to target engines because of the cloak. I ordered we drop speed and fire a round of phasers well away from their location, giving them the impression that we did not know where they were.

Weighing up all the factors, I made the decision. I informed Captain Hars Darax that we would be borrowing his fastest shuttle, on which a cloaking device had been installed by the team of engineers who had beamed with us to the Argonaut. He protested vigorously. My Tactical Officer, Ensign Dolfke Barbosa also reminded me use of cloaking technology by the Federation is prohibited by the Treaty of Algeron. Noted.

Long range scanners detected an asteroid field in the distance. The Klingons seemed to be heading in that direction. I turned the Argonaut over to Captain Darax. He was to fly an erratic course, seeming to be looking for the Klingons, and meet us on the other side of the asteroid field. For the moment, however, as the shuttle was launching and engaging the cloak, he was to keep the Klingon’s distracted.

LT Cmdr Quar was concerned that the shuttle’s speed might not match the Klingon ship but I trusted my instincts. They were heading somewhere. If they planned to use the asteroid belt as a place to hide they would be forced to reduce speed. Given the state of their vessel, I doubted they had the power to sustain high warp while cloaked. Indeed, we had already proven this by virtue of the fact we were within weapons range of them now.

We launched from the aft shuttle bay of the Argonaut and engaged the cloaking device. Setting course for the rear of the Klingon ship, I could imagine their jeers as the Argonaut fell away from their position. While they were busy congratulating themselves on ‘beating’ the Federation, we snuck up behind them until we were in their baffles. They were slowing as they approached the asteroid belt and it was easy enough to pinpoint their position. Cloaked or no, they had a ‘shadow’ that could be seen against the glimmer of the space bodies in their path.

They obviously had no idea we were there. The Argonaut left weapons range and proceeded to discharge weapons at supposed targets at varying intervals. The Bird of Prey dropped out of warp and headed into the asteroid field at impulse. We entered the field slowly, allowing them to show us the way. They glided toward a large asteroid. When we arrived, they were establishing orbit. They swiftly de-cloaked and beamed a party to the inside of the asteroid, which seemed to be set up with an artificial environment suitable for humanoids. We scanned the ship and the asteroid for live-signs and located a Trill on the inner surface with several Klingons. I gave my orders. A security detail was to beam aboard the Klingon vessel and dispatch the bridge crew, then access systems to disarm or disable the rest. I would lead the team that would go down to the asteroid, with the express purpose of rescuing the Commodore.

We beamed down approximately 50 meters from the position of the Trill lifesigns. Silently I gestured to LT Cmdr Quar and Ensign Barbosa. One would go left, and the other right. We slowly crept up on the encampment. The Klingons seemed to be having a party. A few stood around a fire, drinking, watching their leader as she taunted the Commodore. They had an execution block set up, and the Commodore, who clearly had been physically abused, stood near it. They grabbed him and pushed him down on the block, two of them holding him while their leader, Kadryl, raised her sword.

Ensign Barbosa exploded into their midst, knocking the sword from Kadryl’s hand while discharging her phaser at the pirates. LT Cmdr Karl attacked the Klingons by the fire, swiftly dispatching them before they could find their weapons. He was felled by a sniper who shot from behind me, where I crouched. I whirled and shot him at point blank range, he fell into me, knocking me down, the force of his decent towards the ground knocked my phaser from my hand. He fell upon it. With some difficulty I rose from the ground and looked to find Kadryl running toward me, sword in hand. I was dimly aware of Ensign Barbosa shouting she had the Commodore. All my senses were focused on the Klingon. She towered over me and I doubted I had the strength to defeat her in hand to hand combat in this form. The image of a demon came to me in my mind and ducked behind the tree to gain an extra moment to shift. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Kadryl fall, shot by one of my crew. I leaned against the tree, caught mid-shift. “Today was a good day to die,” I whispered to Kadryl, who shuddered at my feet and then grew still. I struggled to return to my base form for a few moments, hearing my crew call my name but unable to respond. Finally I was able to reply to them, and move to their position.

LT Cmdr Quar was wounded, we beamed him to the shuttle and made him as comfortable as we could. Commodore Reiner had been badly beaten but he stood tall and thanked us for coming, gracious even in the darkest moments. The rest of the away team aboard the Bird of Prey reported they had captured the ship. We gathered what evidence we could find and beamed back to the shuttle, contacting the Argonaut to request escort back to Astraios Prime. When they were within transporter range we beamed the Commodore and Lt Cmdr Quar directly to sickbay for treatment. I am assured that they will both make a full recovery.

We have a Klingon Bird of Prey in spacedock. A seventh vessel for our little fleet?

In particular I would like to commend LT Cmdr Quar and Ensign Barbosa for their courage under fire. And if it is permitted for an officer to offer a commendation to her superior, I would like to say that Commodore Reiner deserves recognition for his bravery in stoutly resisting what was obviously painful and debilitating torture as well as psychological trauma. He assures me they did not illicit any information from him.

I will now have to compile an additional report for Starfleet Command to explain my actions. The decision to use a cloaking device was mine, and mine alone. Any officers who worked to prepare the shuttle or install the cloaking device were following my express orders and cannot be held accountable for what occurred.

=A=

Return to “SS Astraios”