110515 "Cause & Effect" - SS Astraios/USS Argonaut Mission

Starfleet re-established its first Colony in the Gamma Quadrant on Astraios Prime on stardate 110111. SS Astraios is a space-station in high orbit above the planet Astraios Prime, to help with its protection and provide a base for the local fleet. UFS Astraios Colony and SS Astraios are tasked with the mission of ‘broadening horizons’ within the Gamma Quadrant, by exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new civilisations.

The opportunity for roleplay Missions is enhanced by the ready availability of a wide variety of locations. As well as the space station SS Astraios and on board NPC ships, including our flagship the Galaxy-class USS Neil Armstrong, there are locations on Astraios Prime (both within the Colony’s many Starfleet regions and on the rest of the planet) and more, both on 3rd Rock Grid and other Grids via the Hypergrid.

In addition to role-play, UFS Astraios hosts a weekly Starfleet Boogie each Tuesday and various events throughout the year.

Roleplay Times: Friday Noon SL
Commanding Officer: Alia Soulstar
Executive Officer: Ellemir Maven

Moderators: Ellemir Maven, Alia Soulstar

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

=================
Sector Commander’s Log
SS Astraios
Stardate 110429
=================

I have just heard from the lead ship of the fleet on route to Astraios Sector. USS Argonaut NCC-74398. Not NCC-71834? A communiqué from Captain Hars Darax. Not Captain Harold Osbourne. Curious. Alarming.

In his message, Captain Darax reported further delays in reaching our position. The cause? Apparently communication array and data banks had been sabatoged before the fleet left the Pinastri System. Repairs slowed their arrival by some days. I had presumed until now that the hostile force I have suspected is working against us was confined to the Gamma Quadrant. The fleet will be arriving in a few hours and we will immediately begin briefing. I have instructed Engineering to complete an extensive diagnostic of every conceivable system. However, I already know the station has been systematically reprogrammed in spite of our continued efforts to repair and maintain. Security is very tight. Yet still someone has access.

I have poured over mission reports and daily logs searching for clues. There is no doubt in my mind that we face a serious threat here. How do you fight against an enemy you cannot see? We have worked so hard to make this Colony happen. We have established excellent relationships with the Astraionian people, some of whom have decided to join us by training at the Academy to become serving Starfleet officers. Delegates from Treman have extended the hand of friendship. The Sector is peaceful for the first time in years.

Of all the events that have occurred, the one that continues to prey on my mind the most is the ion storm we encountered on stardate 110325. We barely survived. The storm was generated by a gamma ray burster. GRBs create a narrow beam of intense radiation released during a supernova event, as a rapidly rotating, high-mass star collapses to form a neutron star or black hole. GRBs are a naturally occurring event, I know. Was it just a coincidence that this event created a massive electromagnetic storm with a trajectory that led it directly to our coordinates, in orbit around a small planet many light years away?

Something isn’t right. I sense it. My skin crawls. Like someone is watching me. Us. Sometimes I cannot sleep. The station is full of people but up in my Ready Room I feel more alone than I ever have before. Everyone is counting on me to make the right choices. The safety of my personnel and the people of Astraios is paramount.

We remain at Defcon 3, but I will give private orders to my Sector Chief security to take stricter measures. We will be seen to “relax” now the fleet has arrived.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

==========================
Sector Commander’s Log - Supplemental
Koloyth Bird of Prey
Stardate 110508

We have rescued Commodore Darren Reiner from the Klingon pirates and are aboard their vessel, on route to rendevouz with USS Argonaut. The Commodore is under the care of Dr Soulstar. He was obviously tortured but she assures me he will recover. Our little cloaked shuttle did the job. I may get some flack about that. I will deal with that when the time comes. Commendations to LT Cmdr Karl Quar, who was wounded by the pirates, as well as Ensign Dolfke Barbosa, for their bravery under fire.

Once we return to Astraios I have decided to choose a small number of my most trusted personnel to accompany me on board the USS Argonaut on stardate 110515. We will announce we are taking the ship on a scenic tour of the Sector. But we will set course for deep space. We must not let the Commodore's kidnapping prohibit our investigation, we must gather data on the collapse of the star that caused the near fatal ion storm.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

CREW MANIFEST

Acting Captain: Ens. Alia Soulstar
Tactical Officer: Ens. Dolfke Barbosa
Science Officer: Ens. Astro Balut
Engineering: LT Cmdr Karl Quar
Operations/Helm: LTjg Davido Herbit
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

MISSION IMAGES

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: LTjg Davido Herbit
Position: Operations/Helm
Stardate: 110515

Today we were leaving SS Astraios with the Argonaut. We were heading for a star cluster that resembles the Sagittarius constellation at Warp 6. After a while we experienced gravitational forces from a black hole that caught the ship. As much as I struggled to get us out it didn’t help.

Finally the acting captain ordered me to fly into the black hole. Maybe it would save the ship instead of tearing her apart. We experienced a lot of trembling and shakings, but we managed to fly out alive and intact.

At this time I couldn’t make out were we where according our star maps. Science will check on this and try to calculate our position.

***to be continued***
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: LT Cmdr Karl Quar
Position: Engineering

This Sunday, 110515, we boarded the Argonaut, ostensibly to make a Scenic Tour of the Sector. We actually intend to collect data on the collapse of the star that caused the near fatal Ion Storm.

Shortly after takeoff, we detected a gravitational abnormality: our ship was drawn into a black hole. Despite our best efforts, we could not resist it, and we therefore were sent into an unknown area, we could not identify.

The ship has thankfully survived the trip through the black hole, but suffered some damages that we are currently working to repair. The artificial gravity system was destroyed but we already have it repaired. The move into the black hole has also tested our engines and our shields to their limits. The MARAM system need some recalibration, and we lost 30% of our Dilithium crystals.

But the most important thing is to find out where we are now, and how to come back into the Astraios system.

***to be continued***
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ens. Astro Balut
Position: Science

We were aboard the new Intrepid class starship USS Argonaut on its first mission in our Sector. Course was set for a star cluster resembling the constellation Sagittarius for data collection, thereby passing though uncharted space. As we cruised I discovered an anomaly in the gravitation field ahead. A closer examination revealed the presence of an unstable type of wormhole with similarity to a mini-black hole, that caused gravitational readings beyond scale for even a singularity. The crew was fighting against a stronger pull towards the wormhole as we tried to slip away with Warp 8, but to no success; we were doomed to be sucked into it. Facing the reality, decision was made to turn the ship and enter the wormhole in the hope that we would survive the transfer and get out on the other side. With full warpspeed we headed into the wormhole. The ship was shaking and rumbling but the hull stayed intact, and soon we were out on the other side of the wormhole. I tried to figure where we were, but that was impossible, we were in a completely unknown area. I found us to be in another galaxy! I had to caution against a suggestion from the acting captain to go back though the wormhole as it is unstable, and the risk is too high. The CO has instructed engineering and myself to try and find a way to get back to known territory - that will be a very difficult task.

***to be continued***
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ens. Dolfke Barbosa
Position: Tactical

For the record, some info about the tactical strenght of an Intrepid Class Starship, like the USS Argonaut :

-15 Decks
-Warp 9.975 (max. sustainable cruise velocity)
-Phaser arrays, phaser banks, and torpedo tubes compatible with photon torpedoes, quantum torpedoes, and tricobalt devices
-Symmetrical, oscillating subspace graviton field deflector shields
-Crew 150

Mission Report

With a small number of her most trusted personnel, our SC board the USS Argonaut, announcing a scenic tour of the Sector. Sadly, SC Toocool was not feeling good, and needed an emergency hospitalisation in Sickbay. Our docter, Alia Soulstar takes over her duties on the bridge.

But once out of scan range of the SS Astraios, our acting Captain orders us to plot a course for deep space. We must gather data on the collapse of the star that caused the near fatal ion storm.

Where it normally would be a quiet flight, we discovered an anomaly, our captain would like to explore, but we came to close ... and were sucked in ...

Despite all our efforts, our systems were not able to keep out of the Vortex, an anomaly lseemed to be a black hole or some "port" to another place in the Galaxy.

With our deflector shields at full power, and our Warp engines aliagned to the sucking strenght of the anomaly, we managed to fly our ship through the vortex, and came out at the other side.

Sadly, at the other side of our known Galaxy too ...

Engineering end Science reported they could not discover any know Star on the scanners, Tactical could no more receive any message of our Astraios homeworld.

We are all alone, in a forgotten part of an unknown Universe ...
Distress Calls are futile.

Dolfke's call for HEeeeelllpp........ vanishes in the depth of space ... no final frontier anymore, we are passed beyond that.

As a galaxy, the Milky Way is actually a giant, as its mass is probably between 750 billion and one trillion solar masses, and its diameter is about 100,000 light years.

Where are we ????????????

***to be continued***
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ens. Alia Soulstar
Position: Acting Captain/Medical

The maiden flight of our new Intrepid Class vessel Argonaut was a secret mission to study the site of the Gamma Ray Burster that caused the ion storm on Astraios. I placed Commander Toocool in the Sickbay and assumed command. This seemed a prudent course—her ailment is minor and we will need her leadership in the weeks (or now, it seems, months or years) to come. On our course through unchartered space toward the galactic centre, Science Officer Balut detected an extreme gravity well —we dropped out of warp to investigate. The anomaly was a wormhole with an unusually strong pull... exponentially greater than a standard singularity. At high warp speed we could not escape its gravitation. Concerned that the ship would be torn apart by counteracting tidal forces, I ordered helm to turn us into the wormhole and engage maximum warp—I rationalised that moving through the wormhole at top speed was our best chance of survival. We passed through the singularity with minimum damage but have emerged into an unknown star field—an entirely new galaxy. Dilation effects may even place us in another time, although that is irrelevant so far from home. Engineering have advised that the ship is unlikely to survive another pass through this hole…and yet it is the only plausible gateway to our star system. I have instructed the crew to find a way to get us back through the beast and to investigate other potential paths home, but our prospects are not good. We are lost, we are lost…

***to be continued***

Return to “SS Astraios”