110427 - Astraios BATTLE DRILL: "Message in a Sphere"

Starfleet re-established its first Colony in the Gamma Quadrant on Astraios Prime on stardate 110111. SS Astraios is a space-station in high orbit above the planet Astraios Prime, to help with its protection and provide a base for the local fleet. UFS Astraios Colony and SS Astraios are tasked with the mission of ‘broadening horizons’ within the Gamma Quadrant, by exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new civilisations.

The opportunity for roleplay Missions is enhanced by the ready availability of a wide variety of locations. As well as the space station SS Astraios and on board NPC ships, including our flagship the Galaxy-class USS Neil Armstrong, there are locations on Astraios Prime (both within the Colony’s many Starfleet regions and on the rest of the planet) and more, both on 3rd Rock Grid and other Grids via the Hypergrid.

In addition to role-play, UFS Astraios hosts a weekly Starfleet Boogie each Tuesday and various events throughout the year.

Roleplay Times: Friday Noon SL
Commanding Officer: Alia Soulstar
Executive Officer: Ellemir Maven

Moderators: Ellemir Maven, Alia Soulstar

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Battle Drill: "Message in a Sphere"
Stardate: 110427

SS Condor is on a deep space charting mission and receives a garbled call from a unknown system.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

CREW MANIFEST

Ens Poison Toocool - CO
LT Cmdr Karl Quar - Helm/Ops
Ens Alia Soulstar - Medical/Science
Ens Astro Balut - Engineering
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

IMAGES

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ensign Astro Balut
Position: Engineering

On a routine flight with SS Condor we received an unknown type of signal. After several cycles of analyzing I found it to be a double reversed message coded in itself, a highly complex encryption method. With help of the neural datalink the ship computer got it deciphered, revealing it as a distress signal. Note to self: Who sends distress signals in an overly protected protocol? The message said that "people were disappearing", but not in which way.

The coordinates for the signal's source were identified and we set course for it, expecting to find some planetary orbiting system. As we approached our destination the signal turned out to come from a massive artificial structure comparable in size to Earth's orbit around the Sun. This was a big surprise and a mind boggling technology beyond all imagination!

Our computer analysis made clear that there was a war going on between two entities in the orbital surface of the structure. The one part, Dinyol-hei Orbital (a sort of orbital mind), was attacking the other peaceful part, Masaq' Federated Tribes. We had to somehow take control of that "mind" in a peaceful way. We found that on a central locus of the "mind" - a cooling system kept the inner conditions in a working state. I suggested to fire a small dose of phaser at the cooling system, just enough to get its fluid boiling. So I did, and the failsafe of the cooling system turned the system off which made it possible to stop the domination of the "mind" and in the end stop the war.

We stayed at the orbiting system for a day and helped them doing repairs and fixes.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: LT Cmdr Karl Quar
Position: Helm/Operations

As soon as we received the call, we have steered for the system from where the signal seemed to come, in deep space. While riding to the target, sciences and engineering were trying to understand the call. Mr Balut succeded to decode a few words in the message : "... people are coming ... disappearing from...". This sounded to be clearly a distress call. Sciences detected intense gravitational distortions, similar to quantum singularities, making travel through this region extremely difficult, and probably adding to the distortion of the message...

We came slowly toward the center of the message emiting point. The signal appeared to come from a massive structure comparable in size to Earth's, orbiting around the Sun. Mr Balut succeded to fully understand the message: "The message says that people are disappearing from the surface spontaniously. They request help Captain". We took an orbital position 50,000 kms around the unknown structure. Miss Soulstar detected this object was a variation on the Dyson Sphere: an efficient life-supporting artificial environment.

At this moment we got messages coming together: some from "Dinyol-hei Orbital" and some from "Masaq Federated Tribes". the first ones assessed they didn't need any help. The second ones requested help for an unknown reason ...

The computer analysis of the situation indicated that some kind of war was in progress on the surface. We received a distress call from one side and have been contacted by both. The entity controling the Orbital called itself Dinyol-hei and appeared to have vast weapon superiority over the Masaq' group.

The Dinyol-hei Orbital requested us to leave the space region, but Masaq said us that Dinyol-hei have taken over the Orbital mind and attacking them. Once again they requested help!

Sciences suggested to interfere with the "mind", disable it somehow, so that the orbital weapons may be shut down. Of course the risk was to turn it off might cause serious damages. We asked and received information about Masaq systems and proceeded to shoot phasers, carrying low energy sine waves on rapid pulse. This was a sucess and the orbital was disabled without major damage. They only needed to purge and to repair it a bit. We offered our help.

So we have succeed to solve peacefully this issue, and after we went back to our charting mission!

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ensign Alia Soulstar
Position: Science/Medical

A crypic message which we believed to be a distress signal led us towards an unexplored region of the sector. There we encountered a massive artificial orbital habitat - the ring version of a Dyson sphere (the technology required for such engineering is dazzling!!).

At the Orbital we made contact with two species/entities. One calling itself Dinyol-hei Orbital was clearly inhabiting the locus of some form of Mind (a seemingly intelligent support system for the orbital structure) and this entity was battling with inhabitants of the planet who called themselves Masaq' Federated Tribes. Dinyol-hei appeared to have the upper hand and we concluded the distress call was from the Masaq' as they continued to plead for our assistance. Dinyol-hei requested our immediate departure under threat of attack.

Analysis of the Orbital schematics revealed that the controlling "mind" in which Dinyol-hei was situated had a hydrocooling system. Ship's Engineer, Ensign Balut, devised a brilliant plan to use low energy phaser jabs to boil the water and trigger a failsafe shutdown of the Orbital Mind. This succeeded and enabled us to instigate a ceasefire, after which assistance was rendered to repair the system.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name LTjg Poison Toocool
Position: CO

Aboard the SS Condor in Section Omega of Astraios Sector; completed charting a minor system. Science gleeful over the data collected. Ordered helm to plot a course to the next system, warp factor one, engage when ready. We had just gone to warp when we received a message. It emanated from a region of space that was relatively unknown to us, but what data we did have showed it to be devoid of activity in the past.

The signal was audio only and was difficult to decipher. Science worked to get a fix on the source while engineering attempted to clean up the communication. The message was coded in a strange manner. Sequencing resembled Penrose Tiling.

I ordered a change of course. ETA at warp one, nine minutes. Increased speed to warp four and ordered a drop to full impulse in four minutes. We would approach the signal source slowly so as not to alarm anyone.

Science reported intense gravitational distortions, similar to quantum singularities, would make travel through this region extremely difficult. We used long range sensors to assess the best route for the ship to take. I ordered yellow alert and raised shields to protect us against the eddies. Engineering expressed concern over using warp in this area but we needed speed, to compromise, I ordered a drop to warp one. Science found a clear corridor for us to take as a route towards signal’s source.

Gravimetric distortions had some effect on our systems but we were able to ascertain that the signal was coming from a massive structure comparable in size to Earth's orbit around the Sun. An artificial orbital. Dropped from warp to full impulse and plotted a course to orbit the structure 50,000 kilometers distance. Scanned for weapons.

The object was a variation on the Dyson Sphere, a life supporting artificial environment. Engineering reported the signal had been deciphered: people were disappearing from the surface and assistance was requested.

Ordered helm to plot a course back the way we came just in case, and be ready to engage if needed. A message was sent SS Astraios advising them we received a distress call and had changed course to investigate, giving them our coordinates and the specific course we took to reach the orbital’s coordinates.

A group or entity identifying itself as “Dinyol-hei Orbital” hailed us. I responded, advising we had received a distress call and had come to assist. They said that they did not require assistance. At the same time, another signal was received, garbled and encrypted in the same manner as the original distress message had been. At that point I theorized that we were receiving two signals from two different sources, and suggested we locate the source of the two signals and compare.

Within minutes Science was able to decode the second signal, which was from the “Masaq' Federated Tribes”. They called us “Machine Pogrom” and asked for our help. I replied, identifying the ship and asking for details. Subspace interference affected communications but we were able to strengthen the signal and speak with them.

I was very concerned about the implications of these signals and the report that people were disappearing. Science advised that computer analysis of the situation indicated that some kind of war was in progress on the orbital surface. I suspected as much. The Dinyol-hei Orbital appeared to have vast weapon superiority over the Masaq' Federated Tribes. At this point, mindful of the Prime Directive, I considered our options. If this was an internal conflict, then we could not interfere. Yet we had been asked for assistance. If an external force was attacking the native Masaq, then it would be our duty to help as much as we could without putting ship and crew in danger. I needed more information to assess the proper course of action.

Science suggested hailing both sides and beaming representatives to the ship for diplomatic talks in the hopes that a ceasefire could be arranged. Science also confirmed that scans showed all parties were members of the same species. It seemed probable that we had been asked to assist one side in a civil war.

We opened a channel to the Dinyol-hei. Identifying myself, I advised we had been contacted by the Masaq to ask for assistance. I asked the Dinyol-hei to explain what they wished to achieve by their actions against the Masaq.

At this same moment, a garbled message from the Masaq was received, informing us that the Dinyol-hei had taken over the Orbital mind. The Masaq repeated that they are a peaceful people and they were being attacked by the Dinyol-hei. I asked them to stand by.

I muted comms and gave these orders: "Helm, make sure you have that return course laid in and ready; Engineering, be ready to go to full shields and charge weapons on my mark; Science, I need suggestions on how we can help without 'interfering'.” It seemed to me that the Orbital was part of Masaq society and someone had interfered with it or it was malfunctioning in some way. “Science, can you get a fix on the power source for the Orbital? What if we treat this like a computer virus. Would a cold restart resolve the issue?”

Science confirmed, if we could disable the “mind” somehow, the Orbital weapons might shut down.

I asked Engineering to figure out a way we could turn off the Orbital without damaging it. We sent a message to the Masaq to ask if they could provide schematics of the Orbital’s sub routines and any other data. They obliged. I was aware we could use a torpedo to disable the machine... but I had the feeling the Orbital was likely a crucial part of Masaq society and I did not wish to impact them adversely if we could help it.

Ensign Balut examined the schematics closely. The Orbital was built around a central locus that was used to keep the system’s temperature at an appropriate level. He suggested we shoot a carefully calibrated, short phaser sequence at this cooling system, in essence causing the fluid inside to boil. He theorized that the failsafe system would turn off the Orbital when it overheated.

I made the decision to implement this plan. Aware our actions might be seen by the Dinyol-hei as aggressive, I ordered red alert. Weapons charged, shields at maximum.

Ms Soulstar advised low energy sine wave pulses would slip through the Orbital shields. I ordered Mr Balut to configure the phasers to carry low energy sine waves on rapid pulse.

Dinyol-hei Orbital had likely detected our weapons and shields going on-line, they sent a short, blunt message: “Remove yourself from Dinyol space immediately Condor… we give no further warnings.” I instructed Ms Barbosa to stand by to fire if we were fired upon. She locked phasers on the Orbital.

I asked Helm to be ready to engage reverse course on my mark, but to swing the ship so full phasers were facing the sphere.

We fired at the locus. Our phaser pulse penetrated their shields and the internal temperature of the cooling system began to rise. Dinyol-hei Orbital muttered something about hot. We held our collective breath. Finally, Mr Balut reported the locus had switched itself off.

I opened a channel to the Masaq to explain that we had disabled their Orbital system. They asked what had happened to their “Mind”. I explained that, unfortunately, in order to assist them, we had to turn it off. They were pleased that the mind was still intact and damage was minimal. In the spirit of diplomatic relations (as well as a good deal of curiosity) I offered the full resources of the ship to assist them to repair the damage if they wished. We stayed in the area for one solar day, and were pleased to attend a celebration the Masaq' Federated Tribes held during that time. A most interesting encounter.

=A=

Return to “SS Astraios”