110424 - Astraios BATTLE DRILL: "Galactic Chess"

Starfleet re-established its first Colony in the Gamma Quadrant on Astraios Prime on stardate 110111. SS Astraios is a space-station in high orbit above the planet Astraios Prime, to help with its protection and provide a base for the local fleet. UFS Astraios Colony and SS Astraios are tasked with the mission of ‘broadening horizons’ within the Gamma Quadrant, by exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new civilisations.

The opportunity for roleplay Missions is enhanced by the ready availability of a wide variety of locations. As well as the space station SS Astraios and on board NPC ships, including our flagship the Galaxy-class USS Neil Armstrong, there are locations on Astraios Prime (both within the Colony’s many Starfleet regions and on the rest of the planet) and more, both on 3rd Rock Grid and other Grids via the Hypergrid.

In addition to role-play, UFS Astraios hosts a weekly Starfleet Boogie each Tuesday and various events throughout the year.

Roleplay Times: Friday Noon SL
Commanding Officer: Alia Soulstar
Executive Officer: Ellemir Maven

Moderators: Ellemir Maven, Alia Soulstar

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Battle Drill: "Galactic Chess"
Stardate: 110424

On a routine survey mission in the Gamma Quadrant, SS Condor's long range scanners detect an alien vessel on an intercept course.
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

CREW MANIFEST:

Ens. Alia Soulstar - Mission Leader
Ens. Astro Balut - Engineering/Science

GUEST:
Lt. Teresa Firelight - Ops/Tactical/Security
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

IMAGES

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ensign Alia Soulstar
Position: Acting CO

On a routine survey mission in the Gamma Quadrant our long range scanners detected a heavily shielded alien vessel heading toward us at high speed. We went to yellow alert. An energy emission from that craft caused systems to malfunction and affected crewmen, some of whom lost consciousness.

We could not ascertain whether this was a first shot across our bow or a handshake. In accessing our ship's computer with its emission, the alien craft disabled our weapon systems.

Defenceless, I hailed the craft to determine its intentions. It communicated in binary code that we were trespassing in its space. It appeared to be directing its comments to our craft, assuming that the humans on board were an infection of some sort. In the absence of defensive systems I ordered that a contained computer virus be planted in our ship's computer which would transfer to the alien vessel if it attempted another plunder of our ship's computer.

At the same time we negotiated our peaceful retreat from the vicinity, (pointing out that the lifeforms aboard our ship were treasured pets) and asking for schematics to establish the boundaries of the area claimed by this entity.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ensign Astro Balut
Position: Engineering/Science

On a routine mission with SS Condor we detected an alien vessel. It was heading in our direction and sent communication signals of unknown coding. With only 15 minutes to range distance and a heavily shielded vessel approaching we tried to analyze the nature of the beast.

We were hit by a strong energy beam from the vessel causing damage on our ship and several crew members lost consciousness. The beam turned out to be a very powerful scanner, but it acted peaceful thereafter; the beam was not intended for hostile purposes but had this as a side effect. After intense analyzing we found the craft to be a synthetic unit with no biological lifeforms aboard. We understood that it considered us (humans) as a sort of virus that they would not let into their territory which we seemed to be crossing.

They would let our ship, but not the crew pass. This would not be acceptable, and due to the hard standing on both sides we returned our polite reply and think about their ultimate requirement. We set our course for home.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: LT T. Firelight (as NCP crew)
Position: Ops/Helm/Tactical

I picked up a ship on long range scanners that was on an intercept course for us. So naturally, I tried do to a full tactical analysis. But their shielding was so strong that I was not able to get any useful readings. I also received something on the communication sensors that I could not tell if it was a signal or static. Since I knew about the alien vessel, I decided to treat it like a signal and tried to find out what it said. I boosted it, filtered it and ran it through the universal translator. When that did not work, I tried applying decryption algorithms to it.

We were hit by an energy beam while I was still working on decrypting and interpreting the comm signal. We had a few seconds warning that the beam was about to hit, and raised shields. But the beam cut through our shields as if they were paper—and hit had hazardous effects on ship systems and on the crew. Several systems began to malfunction and we began getting damage reports from all decks. Injury reports began coming in as well—apparently about ¼ f the crew lost consciousness when that beam hit. I performed a tactical analysis on the beam from the sensor logs, and as near as I could tell, it was a scan rather than an attack. The fact that we were only hit by the beam once seemed to confirm my hypothesis, as an attack would have most likely been a series of beams until we ere fully disabled.

Shortly after that scan, we received a binary signal that I was able to decipher. It was similar to old-earth Morse Code, and seemed a rather odd form of communication from a warp capable species. The message seemed to be scolding us the way an adult would talk to a naughty preschooler. It appears they were unhappy that we had entered their space without first requesting permission. I relayed the message to the captain, who gave me a response to convert to the binary signal as a reply. In this fashion, we apologized for inadvertently entering their space and asked for them to give us a map marking their space. We also asked if we could negotiate permission to travel in their space.

They no longer perceived us as a threat and lowered their shields. We were able to scam them and determine they had advanced technology and no biological lifeforms on board. Apparently we discovered some type of sentient machine lifeforms. They did make an alarming statement. They said that they detected several biological parasites in our body (e.g., our crew in the ship) and asked if we would like help eradicating them. Our captain thought quickly and responded that they were pets that we were quite fond of. The aliens made a comment about us having a strange taste in pets but seemed satisfied with our answer.

In regard to our request for permission to fly through their space, they granted it with the stipulation that we leave our pets at home, as they considered our pets similar to a virus. They also transmitted a map of their space. Our captain chose to withdraw from their space and return home.

=A=

Return to “SS Astraios”