110325 "Eye of the Storm" - SS Astraios Mission

Starfleet re-established its first Colony in the Gamma Quadrant on Astraios Prime on stardate 110111. SS Astraios is a space-station in high orbit above the planet Astraios Prime, to help with its protection and provide a base for the local fleet. UFS Astraios Colony and SS Astraios are tasked with the mission of ‘broadening horizons’ within the Gamma Quadrant, by exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new civilisations.

The opportunity for roleplay Missions is enhanced by the ready availability of a wide variety of locations. As well as the space station SS Astraios and on board NPC ships, including our flagship the Galaxy-class USS Neil Armstrong, there are locations on Astraios Prime (both within the Colony’s many Starfleet regions and on the rest of the planet) and more, both on 3rd Rock Grid and other Grids via the Hypergrid.

In addition to role-play, UFS Astraios hosts a weekly Starfleet Boogie each Tuesday and various events throughout the year.

Roleplay Times: Friday Noon SL
Commanding Officer: Alia Soulstar
Executive Officer: Ellemir Maven

Moderators: Ellemir Maven, Alia Soulstar

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Sector Commander's Log
Stardate 110325.1330

I was awoken from a deep sleep by a Yellow Alert and communiques from Science and Engineering. An powerful ion storm has been located on sensors. It's trajectory will lead it directly into the Astraois system. It is travelling fast, we have only a short time to prepare. Both planetary and spaceborne ion disturbances can intensify to the point where navigation is dangerous, and transporter use all but impossible. Engineering is doubly concerned as our shield emitters have been functioning below par, a continuing difficulty here. Our systems, builds and personal effects are unaccountably changed, vary in stability, or disappear entirely.

Our readings suggest the storm is hundreds of kilometers long, is travelling at great speed, and is very powerful. At higher levels ion storms can damage or destroy spacecraft. I must contact the civilian leader and inform him, a fierce magnetic storm would act like an intense thunderstorm on the planet surface, affecting transports, disrupting radar, and may well force population centers to evacuate underground or construct dedicated shelters. We have only a short time to prepare.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

CREW MANIFEST

Ensign Poison Toocool, CO
LTjg Davido Herbit, Tactical/Security
LT Cmdr Karl Quar, Engineering
Ensign Alia Soulstar, Medical/Sciences
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

MISSON IMAGES

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Mission name: Eye of the Storm

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Lt.Jg. Davido Herbit
Position: Security/Tactical
Stardate: 110325

It was an ordinary day with a few problems on our shielding system and Karl Quar from Engineering was working on this until the storm set in. The storm was like solar protons with exceptionally high energies and its trajectory was directly towards us and Astraios Prime. At this time I was in command because Sector Commander Toocool was taking some rest in her quarters. Because of the high radiation and the speed of the storm I had to raise us to yellow alert and I asked the CO to report to Operations.

The storm would interfere with all the systems and could also be deathly for us on board. That’s why the captain ordered me to initiate a evacuation process for everyone on the station back to the planet to go to the shelters. I initiated this and was trying in the meantime to make some contact with the planet. Unfortunally there was only one little window to send a message out for the people on the planet to inform them about this storm.

All personnel, except the bridge personnel, was evacuated and the storm was closing in to our station. Together with Engineering we where shutting down decks to gain more power to our shields.

Alia Soulstar had an idea about surviving this storm, if we could change the trajectory of the storm around us and Astraios Prime. She has calculated that we had to shelter in the dilithium chamber and fire a weapon to the sun and the explosion of this will blow the storm away from the colony. You can read more about this in her report.

This plan was executed and I’m glad that it worked. Astraios Prime and the spacestation are safe and sound. We all need a medical checkup because of exposure to radiation.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ensign Alia Soulstar
Position: Medical/Sciences
Stardate: 110325

Sensors aboard the SS Astraios detected abnormal electromagnetic activity and a quick scan revealed a massive ionic storm bearing down on Astraios Prime and our space station. Such storms unleash a bombardment of highly energetic protons that knock out communication and navigation equipment and even affect weather events on planets. With oursShields performing sub-optimally, it became apparent that those aboard the station were at risk of exposure to high doses of radiation. Sector Commander Toocool ordered the evacuation of all non-critical staff down to Astraios Prime where the planet's magnetosphere would provide protection.

Long range scanners located the cause of the storm as a pan galactic Gamma Ray Burster (GMBs fire high- energy beams from their poles) which is itself caused by a high-mass star collapse. This is a natural, if rare, phenomonen, the first recorded within our galaxy.

The storm front made our communication links with the planet patchy at best and engineering shut down power throughout the station, save for vital systems and the bridge, to boost the shields. While this worked, it was at best a temporary solution as the storm threatened to quickly intensify to overwhelming proportions. With time running out, the remaining crew of officers devised a daring plan. Namely, to stimulate a coronal mass ejection from our local star. This would create a local ionic storm and at the nexus of the two storms, a still point where they cancel each other out. To do this however, we needed to ditch our shields without subjecting ourselves to potentially lethal doses of radiation.

The Reactor Core Containment Bay on the SS Astraios is the only part of the vessal fully shielded for radiation (built to keep radiation in), however by firing the core reactor at the sun, we would effectively kill two birds with one stone. This is what we did. Master controls were patched to Engineering and Sector Commander Toocool stood at them (bravely) for a brief exposure to radiation (13000 rads local at peak). Crew waited out the meeting of the storms inside the vacated dilithium chamber.

The action was successful. A storm eye extended to a protective envelope around both the SS Astraios and Astraios Prime. The officers involved are now being monitored for signs of radiation sickness.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Ensign Poison Toocool
Position: CO
Stardate 110325

I was awoken from a much needed rest by messages from Operations, an ion storm was heading in our direction and my officers were concerned for the safety of the station, personnel, and the civilians on the planet below. I reported immediately to Ops deck.

Situation somewhat alarming. Our shields only at 70% of strength, a highly volatile electromagnetic storm on direct course for our position, our systems already affected and communications to the planet shaky at best. I instructed Mr Quar to cut power to unneeded decks, and advised Mr Herbit to prepare an evacuation plan for those decks.

Ms Soulstar reported that the magnetosphere on Astraios Prime would protect most inhabitants from radiation, but personnel on the station at high risk if shields fail. She still recommended that they land all aircraft and take shelter. I attempted to contact Civilian leaders, Mr Herbit was unable to open a channel due to disturbances from the storm, which were increasing.

Ms Soulstar reported readings of energies exceeding 300 MeV's. She doubted transporters would be operational in this enviroment. I spoke briefly to the personnel on the station, advising them our situation, and ordering an immediate evacuation of all but a skeleton crew in Operations. Our largest runabout, with our best pilot, was to ferry those people down as quickly as possible, and carry a message to the Civilian leaders on my behalf.

Ms Soulstar advised that 5000 rems are a lethal dose and 90% shields might not be enough to save remaining personnel. I called Red Alert and instructed Engineering to do everything they could to get the shields to max. Mr Quar reported the power transfer was assisting shields to manage the heavy ion emissions but as the storm approached this might not be enough.

At that point I made the decision to transfer power from all weapons to shields. Mr Herbit protested and I appreciated his point of view but the safety of the station meant a hard choice had to be made. Our present danger was the storm, and any enemies in the vicinity would have the same issues as us. Mr Quar executed the power transer and shield strength began to rise. I looked around at the worried faces of my team and tried to raise a smile, "Keep those shields up or Captain Oldrich will have my guts for garters."

Ms Soulstar reported the storm had condensed and was intensifying. Hr Quar reported heavy ion particles hitting the shields. I requested Tactical and Engineering work together to try to raise the Civilian leaders. Through some ingenuity, Mr Herbit was able to give me 30 seconds to send an alert to the planet. We did not get any acknowledgement. Mr Herbit reported the evacuation was proceeding and all remaining personnel would be off the station in less than two minutes.

As I paced the deck, receiving their reports and considering the options, it occured to me to wonder at the fact that this storm was aimed directly at us. Science reported it originated from the core of the galaxy. She also said it was likely our shields had never been tested by something so powerful.

Quietly and out of hearing of the others, I instructed Mr Herbit to prepare an evacuation plan for the remaining bridge personnel: himself, Ms Soulstar and Mr Quar. I then took the Ops console to assist in managing the remaining systems.

Ms Soulstar reported she had detected the source of the storm: optical spectroscopy shows that a gamma ray burster has gone off on the far side of our galaxy, the storm would effect all quadrants. GRBs create a narrow beam of intense radiation released during a supernova event, as a rapidly rotating, high-mass star collapses to form a neutron star or black hole. We have never recorded one in our galaxy.

I had no time in that moment to think of anything but my team and the station, but for one brief second I considered the possibility the storm had been created as a weapon against us. Ms Soulstar informed me that the GRBs are natural but the collapse event could be stimulated. Something to consider if we live through this.

Science suggested we could stimulate a coronal mass ejection from our local star - a large solar flare.... because of our proximity the two storms would meet with us in the centre, creating a sort of eye of the storm, a still point. If we were successful, it would shield the planet below and make an envelope of neutral space around us. There was a catch. We would have to power weapons and lower shields to fire in order to create a coronal flare. That would expose Operations Deck to intense radiation. And the only place on the ship that could protect us was the dilithium chamber.

I instructed Ms Soulstar and Mr Quar to transfer their console controls to Engineering and head down. Mr Herbit and I managed Operations until the other two reported their arrival. We then transferred all controls to Engineering and left Operations deserted.

Calculations done. I asked how much time to we have to get into the Dilithium chamber once weapons are fired. Ms Soulstar reported all exposure to this level of radiation is dangerous, long exposure is lethal.

I told my team to set it up so that we can simultaneously drop shields, fire weapons and shield this area. One button. They would all get in the chamber and I would operate the controls. Mr Herbit protested, but, given my abilities as a Chameloid, I felt I would move faster than the others.

I gave the order to cut power to all decks but Engineering.

Mr Herbit was to make his target calculations and charge weapons.

Mr Quar reported warp core 100 %, shields 100 %, aux power engaged. Shielding reduced to this deck only.

I ordered them all to the chamber. I fired weapons and ran.

Ms Soulstar advised we would know within 30 seconds if our plan was successful. We used up that time saying goodbye to each other.

We emerged from the chamber. Ms Soulstar reported that radiation had peaked and fallen to 3000 rads, 2500 rads, 2000 rads, and falling.

Mr Quar was able to raise shields again.

Mr Herbit reported the storm had dissipated.

I asked Mr Quar to look after the dilithium chamber and get our systems back on line. Mr Herbit was to contact the planet and get our people back to their stations. Ms Soulstar wishes us all to have a complete medical checkup.

I am still concerned about the origins of this massively powerful storm. When our systems are reestablished I wish to speak to Starfleet Command in the Delta Quadrant in this regard. I could be wrong but__ something doesn't feel right.

I highly commend my crew for the excellence of their work under extremely trying conditions.

=A=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Reporting:
Rank, Name: Lt Cmdr Karl Quar
Position: Engineering
Stardate 110325

A powerful ion storm was located on sensors. Its trajectory was leading directly into the Astraios system.

I was operating the engineering console, and i launched immediately a level 3 diagnostic : this reported a lack of internal energy, causing lowering of the shields strength to 90 %, due to an external cause. The transporters systems were no more safely working. The lost of energy was continuing to progress, as the strength of the storm was going up ...

As the strorm was progressing directly to the Astraios system, it was sure that all personnel were very likely to be mortally hurt, and we needed to find a rescue plan or a means to deviate the storm trajectory in time.

Alia Soulstar, acting as Sciences officer, was working on such a plan, while a shuttle evacuation plan was launched and executed by Davido Herbit to take as much people possible to the plaent ... In the same time, i was deriving as much power as posible from non essential systems to shields, in order to preserve, and have a bit time to act.

Finaly, Alia proposed a very risky plan: to fire phasers directly into the sun, hoping the resulting explosion could deviate the storm. Doing that, we were not sure to be able to survive with very low shields, only with the auxiliary rescue power system; but there was a good chance to save the station and protect all the Astraios system population. That's why the commander ordered us to launch this desperate plan ...

So we reduced the shields to the engineering area and we fired weapons in direction of the sun... crossing our fingers. And fortunately... it worked: the storm did not hit Astraios!

The SS Astraios came back slowly to her normal orbit position, using the rescue auxiliary power. The engineering team started immediately to repair damaged systems. The refit is normally to be ended within 3 days. Medical team is checking the health state of everybody as we have been exposed to radiation during a short time, but it seems that the critical level has not been passed ... So it is finally a happy end !

=A=

Return to “SS Astraios”