Mission 220923 - TreNG to the Rescue?

Starfleet re-established its first Colony in the Gamma Quadrant on Astraios Prime on stardate 110111. SS Astraios is a space-station in high orbit above the planet Astraios Prime, to help with its protection and provide a base for the local fleet. UFS Astraios Colony and SS Astraios are tasked with the mission of ‘broadening horizons’ within the Gamma Quadrant, by exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new civilisations.

The opportunity for roleplay Missions is enhanced by the ready availability of a wide variety of locations. As well as the space station SS Astraios and on board NPC ships, including our flagship the Galaxy-class USS Neil Armstrong, there are locations on Astraios Prime (both within the Colony’s many Starfleet regions and on the rest of the planet) and more, both on 3rd Rock Grid and other Grids via the Hypergrid.

In addition to role-play, UFS Astraios hosts a weekly Starfleet Boogie each Tuesday and various events throughout the year.

Roleplay Times: Friday Noon SL
Commanding Officer: Alia Soulstar
Executive Officer: Ellemir Maven

Moderators: Ellemir Maven, Alia Soulstar

Ellemir Maven
Command - Lt Commander
Command - Lt Commander
Duty Post: Executive Officer
Ship/Station Posted: SS Astraios
Grid:

Crew Manifest

Captain - Ellemir Maven
XO/Security Chief - Dolfke Barbosa
Helm/Medical - Genny7 Markus
Operations - Pen Dingus (Alia Soulstar)
Tactical - Kasumi Kwandrii (Kassiquandrii Resident)
Chief Science - Kestral Roffo
Science - T'Mari (Nilamaree Resident)

Captain's Log - Stardate 220923

Doctor Markus and the science team have completed the analysis of the device found on the Zsche flagship "Fist of the Spirit". The original assessment was this was some sort of biological weapon, but further analysis has revealed this device is even more dangerous. This is a chemical weapon that appears to have been designed to be launched into the atmosphere of a Class M planet with the intent of changing a significant amount of nitrogen to ammonia. This would have the effect of killing most of the air-breathing life on the planet. The ship's computer indicated the device was known to the Zsche as "Breath of the Spirit", but the origin is unrecorded.

The presence of this device has required us to look carefully at our assumptions. Although we had information that "the ghouls" had been providing weapons to TreNG for resale to the Zsche as payment for dilithium, we had been operating under the assumption that "the ghouls" were the J'Halidex, a species we have already encountered. However, the J'Halidex is most analogous to the Ferengi, and while the Ferengi lust for profit is well known, they also are well aware that customers have to be alive to be fleeced. A weapon that can destroy all life of entire planets does not fit our models. The J'Halidex seem to have a family or clan-oriented society, largely nomadic, with no central government we have been able to discern. Therefore, one clan may have decided to operate this way for short-term gains, but the question remains how a single clan could develop such a weapon.

Current plans are to continue gathering Intel to discover the source of these advanced weapons, but at this time, the involvement of the J'Halidex seems unmistakable.

After using an EMP weapon to disable the four smaller ships of the Zsche armada, Armstrong returned to recover the Zsche personnel with the intent of returning them to the custody of the secular authorities on Jin. As we approached the last known location of the disabled ships, sensors showed that other ships appeared to be nearby, and the Captain ordered the ship to yellow alert as a precaution.

Upon arrival, we discovered that three TreNG ships were present and appeared to have rescued the Zsche crews, a noble humanitarian gesture worthy of any Starfleet crew. Based on prior intel and interactions with TreNG, the ships were identified as two frigates and, surprisingly, a medium cruiser. To the best of our knowledge, a medium cruiser would be beyond the technical capability of Treman, and how this construction could have escaped the notice of the Queen and her advisors is unknown and concerning.

The commander of the Treman fleet hailed us and demanded our immediate surrender, asserting that we were pirates who had attacked the Zsche ships without warning, destroying Zsche property and murdering Yahdi citizens. Captain Maven countered that Armstrong was operating under the authority of the Talis and Treman Queen, and any attack on the Armstrong would result in Treman crew members being charged with sedition under Treman law.

The TreNG commander attempted no further negotiation, and the three ships attacked.

Captain Maven directed evasive maneuvers and for Tactical to focus fire on the cruiser only. With expert skill, Dr Markus was able to lure one frigate into proximity with one of the derelict ships, where Maven immediately ordered a torpedo strike. The torpedo hit the derelict, triggering the residual antimatter in the warp core and reactant storage, and the resulting explosion overloaded the shields of the frigate, taking it out of the fight.

Armstrong continued to maneuver as the two remaining vessels focused their fire on our aft shields in an attempt to disable our propulsion systems. Maven continued to order focused fire on the cruiser, and its shields began to fail. The TreNG commander chose not to stay and continue the fight but instead broke off and entered warp. Sensors indicated the TreNG ship had suffered significant hull damage when localized sections of the shield grid collapsed, and repairs would likely be beyond the ability of the crew to perform without a dry dock.

The Captain ordered phaser fire to be focused on the remaining frigate, and its shields were soon neutralized. Once the science team confirmed that the weapons in both frigates were offline, Armstrong closed to 30,000 kilometers and transported all the TreNG crew and the crew recovered from the Zsche armada were beamed on board, where they were secured by Security Chief Barbosa.

Once all the crews had been transferred, the Captain ordered a final scan to confirm no life signs remained on the six derelicts, then directed Tactical to use torpedos to destroy them. Since Armstrong had no way to salvage the six ships in any reasonable timeframe, and the possibility existed that the ships could be recovered and used against us, this course of action seemed necessary.

Once Science confirmed that the residue of the ships would not present a navigation hazard, Armstrong set course for Jin to drop off the Zsche crews and the Talis.

Photo Credit: Dolfke Barbosa

End Log

Lt. Ellemir Maven
Acting XO, SS Astraios
Alia Soulstar
Command - Commander
Command - Commander
Duty Post: (Acting) Commanding Officer
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Captain's Log, Supplemental - Stardate 220925

Crew Manifest

Captain - Alia Soulstar
Tactical/Security Chief - Dolfke Barbosa
Science Chief - Kestral Roffo
Operations - Lacy Underall
Helm - Kasumi Kwandrii (Kassiquandrii Resident)
Intel - Jedburgh Daggar
Science - T'Mari (Nilamaree Resident)

Rescued TreNG Navigator

Science picked up the warp signature of an undetected ship departing from the scene of our battle with the TreNG. At Warp 9 it was neither a TreNG vessel or Zsche. We gave pursuit but lost its trail in the Taakar Nebula. Its dilithium trace element signature matched that of the Zsche Mine crystals.

We proceeded to Jin Prime and negotiated with the Seklis of the Yadhi to receive our cargo of Zsche prisoners including the Kajj, shuttled down to their planet, and to receive into medical care our passenger the Talis, who had been wounded in a fire fight. The hand over was uneventful. Meanwhile our intel officer, Ensign Daggar, interviewed the TreNG navigator we previously rescued from the Zsche Mines. She was able to discover the coordinates used by TreNG, Zsche and their mysterious third party (J'Halidex?) to trade minerals for weapons and ships.

I am considering our next move, but first we will return our TreNG "guests" to Treman for the Queen and Nacca to deal with.

End Log

Cmdr. Alia Soulstar
Acting CO, SS Astraios
[/quote]
Alia Soulstar
Command - Commander
Command - Commander
Duty Post: (Acting) Commanding Officer
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

ImageImageImage
Jedburgh Dagger
Intelligence - Ensign
Intelligence - Ensign
Duty Post: Intel Officer
Grid: 3rd Rock/SL/STO

Personal log Dagger JA, Ensign

The last thing Dad said after I graduated from branch school was remember to ease into your new assignment and not be a smartass Ensign. So much for point 1.

I found myself in the briefing room of the Armstrong while the ship sorts out a burgeoning sector conflict. My first assignment was to question a captured Treman crewman in sickbay. I was going over the gameplan for what I'd do while I followed the Security Chief to Sickbay.

Criminy.

So I started off easy, doing the buddy-buddy chat and seeing if that got me anywhere. Playing the fresh-faced redhead worked, and he started talking. Lucky for me the Chief finally decided to head back to the bridge. Not that I was 100% confident that he wouldn't decide to make a break for it, and I'd have to dig the phaser 1 I had tucked inside my jacket out and hope it had enough punch to keep me from getting my own bed in Sickbay...but having her doing the bad cop glare was not quite what I needed to get him to tell me what I wanted.

He seemed like a good guy, and I worked the angle of he was just doing his job, and it finally paid off. After I got all the data I needed, I made sure he was comfortable (and restrained) and headed back to the bridge.

Now we get to see where that data leads us.
"Hit it" Capt. Christopher Pike, Star Trek Strange New Worlds
"Put the spurs to her, Chuck!" Capt Jack Ridley, USAF 'The Right Stuff'

Return to “SS Astraios”