Change of Command Ceremony - SS Astraios 220722

Moderator: Poison Toocool

David7 Bravin
Science - Commodore
Science - Commodore
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Starbase UFS Astraios
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

On Saturday 22nd July (stardate 220722)  a Change of Command Ceremony for SS Astraios took place on Astraios Colony. 

Vice Admiral Poison Toocool goes to the podium and says ...
"Good day and Welcome to Starfleet Astraios. I am VAdm Poison Toocool, Colony Administrator, Astraios, as well as CO of the Denkiri Centre for Creativity that is based here. It is good to see you all here.
For those of you unfamiliar with the history of this Colony, I will tell you that I came here for the first time on January 11, 2011, as part of a team meant to establish a base on this planet called '3rd Rock', which lies near the mysterious Takaar Nebula in the wild and turbulent Gamma Quadrant.
For some years I was privileged to command this colony and its station, SS Astraios. Firm friends during that time were (FCapt) Dolfke Barbosa, (Comm) Genny Markus (my eventual XO), and (Comm) David7 Bravin, my eventual 2nd officer. He kept me organized and on my toes *smiles*
I eventually transferred to another colony but Astraios has always remained in my heart as my first real home in United Federation Starfleet.
When I left, command was transferred to Genny and David, who cared and nurtured the colony for some years, until they, in turn, were relieved by Kem Vala, who served in this capacity since 200607".

Vice Admiral Poison Toocool  continues.......
"So here we are, at another Change of Command Ceremony. It is both sad, and inspiring.
Sad to say goodbye to a long-time member of UF Starfleet who has devoted so much time to the Colony and to the Academy - my best wishes to you Captain Vala, for the future.
Inspiring as well to see that the Colony not only survives, but has changed with the times. The beautiful build around us was created and curated by Cmdr Alia Soulstar with the assistance of LTCmdr Astro Balut and Civilian Member Hans BoSchi.
LT Ellemir Maven has already proved herself a rising star in her contributions to UF Starfleet and Astraios Colony, I have no doubt SS Astraios will be in good hands and I look forward to liaising with the new Command team as we go forward.
The creativity and vision that exists here is something to be admired, and fostered. I hope you will come back and visit us often.
I now pass the podium to Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado, UF Starfleet Chief of Staff".  

Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado goes to the podium and says.........
"Thank you, VAdm Toocool. And welcome to this Change of Command ceremony.
Yes, I know I am terrible at showing up around here. I am very pleased and happy with the work all previous COs and XOs have done here. And for Kem to have done the job he has done for so long.
From the early days when even I was stationed on Astraios (years ago when it first started up). And I can not wait to see what Alia and Ellemir will do with the future.
As I am hopeless with speeches.
I now hand you over to Commodore David7 Bravin, a former Commanding Officer of UFS Astraios Colony and SS Astraios, to say a few words about his successor, the man to whom he passed the baton of leadership of SS Astraios, Captain Kem Vala".  

Commodore David7 Bravin goes to the podium and says .............
"Thank you Commodore.
Having been Kem Vala's former Commanding Officer aboard SS Astraios, I was pleased to be asked to say some things about him.
After graduating from the Academy, Kem joined SS Astraios as an Operations Officer.
He subsequently changed to the Intelligence Branch before becoming a Marine and continuing to serve aboard SS Astraios.
Kem has been an active member of Starfleet Academy - being a Squadron Leader, Director of UFSA  Awards, and Director of the Basic Branch Certification Program.
When I needed an Executive Officer - Kem was an obvious choice.
Kem took on the role as my XO in the knowledge that I planned to "retire" from Command - and that he would be asked to step up to the role of Commanding Officer (succession planning in practice - smiles). I am forever grateful to Kem for agreeing to this.
Kem successfully took on that challenge, and in addition to becoming my XO, Kem was soon ready to take over command.
Thus on stardate 200607 we held a Change of Command Ceremony, where I stepped down as CO and Kem took over as Commanding Officer.
Two months later, Commander Kem Vala was promoted to the rank of Captain".

Commodore David7 Bravin continues saying.........
"I was looking back at what Kem said after having taken the "Captain's Oath" during that Change of Command Ceremony some two years ago.........
He said  that when he stopped to consider the history and the work that went into Astraios Colony and SS Astraios, the responsibilities of being the Commanding Officer seemed almost overwhelming - and that he faced that task with a strong conviction to maintain and develop Astraios with sincerity.
(looks over at Kem and says) ...... I can honestly say Kem, that you did not let the responsibilities of being Commanding Officer overwhelm you - and that your conviction did indeed hold true in maintaining and developing  Astraios ! (smiles)
It is therefore so sad that you have to step down as Commanding Officer for personal reasons and ill health - we can appreciate that it has not been an easy decision for you.
So, on behalf of the crew of SS Astraios both past and present - and as your friend - may I thank you for your devoted service to Astraios - and sincerely wish you all the best for the future".
(walks over to Kem - pats him on the back and shakes his hand - then hands the Podium back to the Commodore)

Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado returns to the podium and says..... 
"Thank you Commodore Bravin for that amazing speech. As you all know him as a person who likes to talk. I would now like to hand you over to Vice Admiral Kermie Mistwallow, the UFS Deputy Commander, to speak about Captain Kem Vala".

Vice Admiral Kermie Mistwallow goes to the podium and says........
"Greetings All, contrary to what you have heard I don't like public speaking or the sound of my own voice so i'll keep this short ........ stop laughing.
Change is one of the most constant things in the Universe, even as people, as a fan group and as a "United" Federation we are constantly in a state of change.
How we adapt to that change is a testament to us, and I can proudly say that over the years Astraios has had to go through some changes and it has always been met head on, with confidence, and been a beacon of light of UFS.
On stardate 200607 the then Commander Kem Vala took up the position of Commanding Officer of this fine establishment.  He had some pretty big shoes to fill....Not that I am saying David has big feet ... or clown shoes .. maybe he has but I'm not going to shame him.
With this change Kem stood up to the plate and continued to lead Astraios into a bright future.
My paths did not cross much with Astraios and I consider that a good thing.
Back then I was chief of Operations and so any concerns that there was with missions or such would come across my desk.  And there were few to none regarding the things here.
I had the pleasure of attending Captains Table Meetings and keeping up to date, as well as the well thought out reports on the forum, I always had something interesting to read.
For so many years this grid and this colony has proved that you do not need to be in a "popular medium" in order to be a success and that is largely in part of the command crew and members here today."

Vice Admiral Kermie Mistwallow continues saying ......
Kem, please stand
As the Deputy Commander of UF Starfleet I want to thank Kem for his hard work and his dedication to UF Starfleet.  As such on this date 220722 I am personally awarding Kem the Christopher Pike Medal of Valor.
The Christopher Pike Medal of Valor is for Exceptional Leadership, Given to those in command who have gone more than above and beyond in their positions, striving to lead by example and creating an environment that welcomes and facilitates all members.Thank you Kem, for everything
(There is a round of applause)
To those taking over,  Alia and Ellemir, while you may be starting out in acting positions, your responsibilities are the same.  Having seen your work ethics in different areas, the progress you have both made as Officers, and as people, I am more than confident that you can continue on the success. "Astraios Strong!"
Thank you and as always, Be Strong, Be Proud, Be UF Starfleet.
Kem the podium is yours".

Captain Kem Vala goes to the podium and says..........
"Thank you Admiral.
It's a bit overwhelming listening about all those nice things about meIt's true, when I took over in Command, that I had envisioned a long, fruitful stint in the center chair
But, as sometimes happens, RL burst my bubble.
Not to worry, the new leadership is more than capable of keeping the vision alive and moving forward!
Alia, who has been instrumental in setting the atmosphere here, will be a phenomenal leader.
Ellemir, who seems to be on top of everything, will ensure that the machinery is well lubed, and purrs along.
I am so grateful for their service and involvement.!"

Captain Kem Vala contues saying........
"And looking back, I am also grateful for the leadership of Commodore Bravin and the example he set for me!  It's all very priceless.
So now, after having wiped the center chair clean with disinfectant.... I am prepared to step aside and let Astraios follow its adventurous course!You all have my love and admiration for what you do!"
(There was then a standing ovation for Kem with applause and well wishes)

Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado then stands and faces Captain Kem Vala and says....
"Captain Vala. We thank you for your service, please transfer command of UFS SS Astraios back to Starfleet Command".

Captain Kem Vala then says......
"Computer, Transfer Command of SS Astraios to Starfleet Chief of Staff Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado, authorization, Vala Gamma five five three seven Alpha"
The Computer responds ........
"Command of SS Astraios has been transferred to UF Starfleet Chief of Staff Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado"

Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado then says....
"Thank you, Captain.
*smiles* Commander Soulstar, please rise.
Commander Soulstar, please recite the Captain's Oath".

Commander  Alia Soulstar says...
"I solemnly swear to continue to uphold the regulations of the United Federation Starfleet as well as the laws of the United Federation of Planets:
to command SS Astraios in its continuing mission to be a base from which to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilisations; to boldly go where no one has gone before"

Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado then says ...
"Computer, Transfer Command of SS Astraios to Commander Alia Soulstar, authorisation Skar-Machado Zero Zero Two Alpha"
The Computer responds...... 
"Command of SS Astraios has been transferred to Commander Alia Soulstar".

Commander Alia Soulstar goes over to Captain Kem Vala and says.......
"Captain Vala, I relieve you".
To which Captain Kem Vala replies........
" I stand relieved, Commander."
( There is a round of applause)

Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado then says ..
" I would now like to give Commander Soulstar the opportunity to say a few words."

Commander Alia Soulstar goes to the podium and says........
" Astraios was established 11+ years ago as one of several frontier Starfleet colonies, spreading out from the bustling Delta Quadrant.
It is now the sole surviving outpost of that vibrant era of expansion
Astraios like those other colonies had its lean times, but the station fought through them
We are still here…
We are here because of our friends at HQ—from the Joint Chiefs to the hard working administrators—who have supported and encouraged our project - some of those people are here today and I want to thank them
We are here because of the countless locals who have participated, contributing their time and energy, vision and resources, to establishing a home for our adventure here. Filling it with their stories, enriching our history.
Among those people there are unsung heroes, and I do not know who all of them are, but I see their contributions woven into our fabric and understand what they gave.
 And we are here because of an outstanding lineage of Commanding Officers
Admiral Toocool who took me under her wing as a cadet.
Commodores Bravin and Markus who dedicated many years of outstanding service to this base,
and Captain Vala, under whom it has been my absolute honour and privilege to serve
His integrity and decency, his wry wit and his unwavering support, have made it easy for me to feel at home on this base.
I am all too aware of the inspiring legacy of leadership I step into, the size of the boots I have to fill.
If I am able to be half the leader that any of my predecessors have been, I will count my own tenure commanding SS Astraios a wild success.

As the Commanding Officer of SS Astraios, I hereby appoint Lt. Ellemir Maven, an exemplary officer, to the position of Executive Officer, with your approval Commodore Skar-Machado".

Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado responds saying..... 
"Computer, transfer Lt. Ellemir Maven to Command and to the position of Executive Officer aboard SS Astraios, authorisation Skar-Machado Zero Zero Two Alpha".
The Computer responds....
"Lt. Ellemir Maven is transferred to Command and listed as Executive Officer, SS Astraios".

Commodore Luciano Skar-Machado then says.....
"We have now reached the end of the ceremony.
My thanks to you all for attending today. 
I understand that everyone is invited to the Shooting Star Venue, the Dome over there, for a drink, dance and friendly chat.
Dismissed.
And congratulations to the new CO and XO. Keep up the good work!"

PHOTOS TAKEN BY FCAPT DOLFKE BARBOSA

Return to “Astraios Colony”