10th Anniversary Ceremony & Celebration 210110

Moderator: Poison Toocool

David7 Bravin
Science - Commodore
Science - Commodore
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Starbase UFS Astraios
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

On Sunday 10th January 2021 (stardate 210110) a Ceremony was held on the new Astraios Colony site on 3rd Rock Grid, to commemorate and celebrate the Colony's 10th Anniversary. 

Captain Kem Vala, Astraios Colony's Commanding Officer and Commanding Officer of SS Astraios, welcomed everyone and introduced the Colony's Pipe Band who were present especially for the occasion and played some stirring music. 

Captain Vala then introduced Vice Admiral Poison Toocool and invited her to speak about the foundation of Astraios Colony. 

Vice Admiral Toocool went to the podium and said
"Some 10 years ago tomorrow, on Stardate 110111, a newly graduated Ensign, Poison Toocool (along with a small team of Starfleet Officers) left Pinastri Colony in the Delta Quadrant and came here to Astraios Prime, with the task of establishing the first Starfleet Colony in the Gamma Quadrant.They knew that they were not expected to be any more successful than an earlier similar expedition.Thus from the outset, there was a feeling that one day they would have to return to Pinastri Colony and be met with a chorus of "we told you so" and "what a waste of resources."  Little did they know. (winks)
The work of building the Colony was time consuming and exhausting. But as it took shape, and as those few officers went out into the world of Astraios to meet neighbours who soon became friends and supporters, a sense of possibility was created.
Soon they had their first Cadet at their tiny Academy. Perhaps it was Genny Markus or Dolfke Barbosa... and soon after... there was David Bravin... and, one by one, we built a team.
And in March of that year, young Ensign Toocool became the Astraios Colony Commander and Commanding Officer of SS Astraios, thus taking on the responsibility of the success or failure of the mission to establish a Colony in the Gamma Quadrant.
Building on Astraios was never easy. Often, one would spend all day putting together an important component of Astraios headquarters, only to find the next morning, that everything had returned to its original place as though nothing had been built at all !! Or perhaps one laboriously painted a classroom. The next day, that paint would have magically disappeared.
 The "Astraios Effect", as it came to be known, became an ongoing problem for some years - an issue that some said was evidence that the planet itself indeed had a mischievous personality.

Where I stand today is just a tiny part of this Colony, for, with the aid of dedicated Starfleet officers, the Colony expanded from one single region to a dozen, all joined together to allow exploration, relaxation, and the creation of necessary infrastructure.
 And the crew of SS Astraios undertook many perilous missions in order to safeguard Astraios Prime and the Astraios Sector as well as extend the hand of friendship. Ten years... is that 500 missions? (smiles)
And here we are today, a full ten years later, with the Colony still vibrant. The UFS members posted here are active and care a great deal about this planet. Missions continue, activities continue, and improvements are being made all the time - I have seen some of the new build, it is going to be fabulous when it is finished.
I believe, from the bottom of my heart, the success of this Colony rests with the UFS members who make their home here, with their efforts to reach out to residents of this grid and the open sim, and their dedication to a mission of diplomacy and peace. Their loyalty to this Colony and UF Starfleet is second to none
Before I end I’d like to invite everyone to attend United Federation Starfleet’s 15th Anniversary celebration on Tuesday January 12, 2021, at Pinastri Headquarters in Second Life. The 10th Anniversary of Astraios will also be acknowledged. It would be great to see Astraios represented.
Lastly: I am immensely proud to be here today and to see that Astraios has not only survived, but flourished, because of all of you
 I never thought, when I arrived on 110111, that I would be standing here on 210110, still a UFS member, still a Commanding Officer, a Vice Admiral… able to see your faces and the buildings around us, read your logs and see your pictures, and know that a legacy began those ten years ago is still with us.
Thank you for your service, your dedication, and for keeping the dream of Astraios alive.
 Live long, and prosper".

Once the applause had finished, Captain Vala introduced retired Commodore David7 Bravin, from whom he had recently been passed command of the Colony and SS Astraios. 

David7 Bravin went to the podium and said "I would like to preface my speech by saying that without Poison Toocool there would not be a UFS Astraios Colony here on 3rd Rock Grid. By taking on the responsibility of command of the newly established Colony 10 years ago as a young Ensign, Poison Toocool had also had to overcome numerous problems (later known as the "Astraios Effect"). Not only did the Colony survive - it thrived. ! As such Poison Toocool deserves our applause.  
David7 Bravin turned to Poison Toocool and clapped along with the everyone present.
He then continued saying  "After graduating from the Academy here on Astraios, I worked alongside Poison Toocool as her Yeoman and Vice Colony Commander for the following 4 years, with Genny7 Markus as her Exec Officer aboard SS Astraios.
During that time Astraios Colony grew - in addition to SS Astraios, the Colony spawned two further ships of the line, namely the USS Davy Crockett and the USS Longtalker, both of whom eventually left Astraios to start new Starfleet Colonies on other OS Grids.
However before leaving Astraios aboard the USS Longtalker as its Commanding Officer, Poison Toocool transferred the command of Astraios Colony to myself and that of SS Astraios to Genny7 Markus at a formal Change of Command Ceremony in 2015.
Between us, Genny and I continued to hold the long standing social events such as the weekly Starfleet Boogie and annual Beach Party and Christmas Dance to which everyone on 3RG is invited.
We started to participate in 3rd Rock Grids annual charity event for "Médecins Sans Frontières" (Doctors Without Borders), by having a "USS Enterprise" exhibit on the festival site, at which we either gave  illustrated talks about Starfleet on 3RG or "performed" a Mission in front of a 'live' audience.
We also started attending special events on other OS Grids with our "USS Enterprise" exhibit, at which we met other Sci-Fi and Star Trek role-play groups.
This led to us visiting two of those groups on their home Grids and participating as guests in some of their missions and/or attending their formal and social events.
This culminated in us forming an alliance with the Universe Fleet Beta Quadrant.

We also continued the weekly Missions every Sunday on SS Astraios or by exploring the Gamma Quadrant either aboard the USS Argonaut or the USS Neil Armstrong.
Missions were also held on Astraios Prime, either within the Colony or the outer environs of the planet.
 During those past years many long serving members of the crew stayed with us (looks over at Dolfke Barbosa and smiles) some returned having been away, new members joined and others were lost. In this respect I must mention Fleet Captain Karl Quar who was not only our Chief Engineer, but also our Master Builder. Sadly we lost all contact with Karl in 2019 and fear the worst. Fortunately Alia Soulstar and Astro Balut agreed to return from their respective leaves of absence and take up the roles of Master Builders - where they have since been carrying out the mammoth task of rebuilding the Colony - some of the results of which can be seen here by us all for the first time.
 At the beginning of last year, Genny and I decided that we should "retire" and become UFS Civilians and hand over Command of Astarios.
 So in order for there to be a smooth transition of command, a Change of Command Ceremony was held in March last year (2020) at which Genny stood down a Commanding Officer of SS Astraios and I stepped up to take her place - and appointed Kem Vala as my Exec. Officer.
Then in June last Year (2020) we held a second Change of Command Ceremony at which I stood down as Astraios Colony Commander and Commanding Officer of SS Astraios and passed Command to Kem Vala.
 With that said, I now pass you back to Captain Kem Vala. 

Captain Vala returned to the podium and said" Kem Vala: It is my humble privilege to insure the continuance of Astraios... the colony, the Station, and the attached ships NONE of this would be possible without the knowledgeable support of a magnificent crew!
 I applaud you all!
 It saddens me to say that we lost one of our crew, Intelligence Officer Alaina Fraina to Covid implications not too long ago. However, after much arm-twisting, I convinced our new Intelligence Officer, SaraFina Sharrael, to join back up.
About a half year ago, we'd received heavy damage to the USS Neil Armstrong and had to put her in for repairs
So we are currently doing our missions on the USS Argonaut.
 And this facility, both the colony and the Station, are nearly finished. If any of you are interested in a tour of those facilities, Commander Alia Soulstar has graciously offered to guide you around
 So- it's the beginning of a new decade... in RL and on Astraios.
Even I wonder what amazing surprises we will encounter as we assemble here for our missions.
And by the way, these installations are now ready for use. The crew will find their quarters on SS Astraios, and we have a fully operational Command deck.
I truly thank you all for coming today!".

At the conclusion of the Ceremony, everyone was invited to celebrate the occasion in the new Dance Club that was nearby - where Lt Michel Farrell was the DJ playing a great selection of music interspersed with Star Trek themes and music. 

LtCmdr Alia Soulstar gave a guided tour of parts of the new space station SS Astraios.   
See viewtopic.php?f=892&t=32600
Captain Vala gave further details of the rebuilding in his speech at the 15th Anniversary of UFS Ceremony on Pinastri on 12th January 2021 (stardate 210112) as follows  
" Our entire facility is currently being rebuilt to facilitate the immersiveness of our missions and gatherings. Just as an example, the SS Astraios itself is 3 sims tall and houses all of the components necessary to simulate a fully functional space station. Then there is the ground complex of Astraios Colony, complete with labs, offices, and training facilities- a monumental project in itself. And finally, both of our RP ships, the USS Neil Armstrong and the USS Argonaut will be completely rebuilt. Not only the structures but also the computer system which will be tied into the control system of the SS Astraios, giving us the real-time stats and data to make the missions so much more realistic. AI is being introduced into that system, which will add a level of fascination even to those who create the mission scenarios.
 All of these improvements have been in the works for almost a year, and now should be completed in a matter of months. Our heartfelt thanks go out to the master builders for their tireless involvement and commitment to the task. With every item they add, they never cease to amaze us. Astraios is- distinctly UFS, and uniquely Astraios!
All in all, many changes are in effect on Astraios but one thing remains... we are Starfleet Strong, and we look forward to continuing our mission and to support the efforts of UFS for many years to come.     

=^= Photos taken by Captain Dolfke Barbosa =^=

Return to “Astraios Colony”