Moderator: Poison Toocool

David7 Bravin
Science - Commodore
Science - Commodore
Duty Post: Chief Science Officer
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Starbase UFS Astraios
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

Change of Command Ceremony 200301

On stardate 200301 a Change of Command Ceremony for SS Astraios was held in the History Building on Astraios Colony.
The ceremony was for Commodore Genny7 Markus to step down from being the Commanding Officer of SS Astraios and for Commodore David7 Bravin to step up from being the Executive Officer to become the new Commanding Officer - and in turn appoint Major Kem Vala as Acting Executive Officer for SS Astraios.
In addition to Rear Admiral Cheryl Skinstad and Rear Admiral Poison Toocool, the ceremony was attended by members of the crew of SS Astraios and crew of the Universe Fleet, Beta Quadrant (with whom UFS Astraios has an alliance) as well as civilians from Astraios Colony.
A report of the ceremony with photos follows .........

After welcoming everyone to the ceremony, Rear Admiral Cheryl Skinstad said "I am always saddened when a superb CO informs me that they have decided to step down, because I have had a great working relationship with that person, especially when that person is reliable, hard working, diligent and caring. However, our lives and circumstances are constantly changing, and I know that this decision will not have been taken lightly.
Commodore Genny7 Markus has been a great Commanding Officer of SS Astraios, enabling it to continue to develop, and grow. She has been supportive to her crew and a wonderful role model to other COs. SS Astraios has been home to a dedicated group of people who love Commodore  Markus and will also be sad today.

UFS moves on and changes too, and we all, at some point, see the need for change and to bring in new blood to make our organisation as great as it still is. We welcome new Command staff as they bring new perspectives and ideas.
I know that the station will be in safe hands with the Designated new Commanding Officer, Commodore David7 Bravin. David has worked tirelessly to energise Astraios, as well as being a great diplomat, and friend. His administrative work is flawless, and he is just simply a lovely person.
We will have a new addition to the Command staff,  Major Kem Vala who will be rising to the position of Acting Executive Officer. Kem began as an Ensign, transferred to Intelligence and then to the Marines. He has been awarded numerous Ribbons and has had the UFSA Excellence award presented to him twice. I am looking forward to working more closely with Kem in the future".

RAdm Skinstad then handed over to RAdm Toocool , a former Commanding Officer of SS Astraios to speak about the existing Commanding Offer, Commodore Markus. 
..................................................................................................

RAdm Toocool said "For me, it's always a pleasure to visit Astraios. I feel such a sense of pride. When I first came here on stardate 110111, the feelings were that this was a lost cause. That we were taking valuable personnel from Pinastri, and crucial resources from our other colony, and we were not expected to survive more than a few months.
We stand here, on stardate 200301, and we proved them wrong.
We had the wonderful support of the great folks on Astraios Prime and we had the amazing, constant dedication and diligence of the officers who went through the academy and stayed to serve with us, in spite of all the problems (the Astraios effect).
Back then I was a green officer with her first command. I was so lucky.
So very lucky, that among those first cadets was someone named Genny7 Markus.
She became not only a great officer who was well respected and well liked, she became my friend. My Chief Medical Officer in time. And then, my valued and trusted First Officer. She served with distinction until I resigned my command here and passed it to her, knowing I could trust her with the life and heart of Astraios.
And I think you will agree, she shone in that role.
So I am here, proud as punch, remembering her consistent dedication and support, knowing she has given all she could to Astraios and UF Starfleet. I am sad to see her retiring, but I know she will always be my friend.
Genny, UF Starfleet, Astraios Colony and SS Astraios, your crew, and I, all owe you a huge hug and grateful thanks for all you have given to us over these past years.
I wish you all the best for the future. Live long, and prosper!  
.................................................................................

Commodore Markus was then given the opportunity to say a few words as follows ..
"May I first thank both RAdm Skinstad and RAdm Toocool for those kind words (looks at them both and smiles).
I was first introduced to UF Starfleet and SS Astraios some 9 years ago by someone very well know to everyone here - Dolfke Barbosa (looks at Dolfke and smiles).
Dolfke invited me to a dance that Starfleet was having on Astraios region here on 3rd Rock Grid.  After the dance I signed up as a UFS Civilian - but a week later decided that I had made the wrong choice and joined Starfleet as a Cadet.
Over the following 4 weeks of taking classes in the Starfleet Academy here on Astraios Colony, I graduated as an Ensign in the Medical Branch.
I was then soon given the job of Events Manager by the then CO of SS Astraios (looks at Poison Toocool and smiles) and to host a weekly "Starfleet Boogie" of music, dancing and friendly chat. Starfleet Boogie proved to be a success and I have continued to host the weekly event up to the present day.
Having served as the Chief Medical Officer aboard SS Astraios for some time, when the opportunity arose to transfer to Command and the position of Executive Officer, I took it willingly, serving alongside the CO, Poison Toocool for the next 3 years.
Before moving on and leaving SS Astraios, Poison Toocool appointed me as Commanding Officer, with David7 Bravin as my XO. In looking back over the past four and a half years in command of SS Astraios, I think that David and I have been a good team (looks at David and smiles)
Looking back further over the past 9 years aboard SS Astraios, I feel that we have always been a family and have enjoyed one another's company.
To all of my very dear friends of the crew of SS Astraios, both past and present - I give you my heartfelt thanks for the friendship, help and companionship that we have all shared.
This will I hope continue with me as a Civilian - ready to lend a hand to the crew in what ever way I can"
.............................................................................................................

RAdm Skinstad then said "Commodore Markus, we thank you for your service, please transfer command of SS Astraios back to Starfleet Command"To which Commodore Markus said"Computer, Transfer Command of SS Astraios to Starfleet Chief of Staff Rear Admiral Cheryl Skinstad, authorisation, Markus Gamma One Zero One Alpha".The Computer beeped "Transfer Complete"
RAdm Skinstad then invited RAdm Toocool back to lectern to say a few words about designated new Commanding Officer, Commodore David7 Bravin 
..............................................................................................................

RAdm Toocool said "In my change of command ceremony, held here on stardate 150830, I remarked that Captain David Bravin had been a friend as well as an outstanding officer.That certainly has not changed in the slightest *smiles*
He perform his duties tirelessly and without complaint, demonstrating over and over his dedication to duty and his willingness to do all the chores expected of a leader in UF Starfleet, and more. His administrative and creative skills, his leadership abilities, his attention to detail, and his ability to foster relationships with allies, make him an excellent choice to step up to the role of Commanding Officer. Well done, David.
And I would also like to take a moment to say congratulations to SS Astraios new XO, Kem Vala. Kem worked with me at Academy, I am aware of his energy and enthusiasm.
I look forward to hearing many excellent reports of progress and innovation from Astraios!"
...................................................................................

RAdm Skinstad then turned to Commodore Bravin and asked him to recite the Captain's Oath, which he did saying
"I solemnly swear to continue to uphold the regulations of the United Federation Starfleet as well as the laws of the United Federation of Planets:to command SS Astraios in its continuing mission to be a base from which to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilisations; to boldly go where no one has gone before".

After which RAdm Skinstad said "Computer, Transfer Command of SS Astraios to Commodore David7 Bravin, authorisation, Skinstad one seven zero one one eight.
The Computer beeped "Transfer Complete, SS Astraios now under the command of Commodore David7 Bravin". 
.........................................................................................

Commodore Bravin turned to Commodore Markus and said ..."Commodore  Markus, I relieve you".
To which Commodore Markus repied... "I am relieved, Commodore" 
.............................................................................................................

RAdm Skinstad then offered Commodore Bravin the opportunity to say a few words, which he did by saying.....
" Many thanks to RAdm Skinstad and RAdm Toocool for those kind words you said earlier about myself and Genny. (looks over to them both and smiles).
I now need to say a big "Thank you" on behalf of the crew of SS Astraios to Genny7 Markus for being a such a wonderful Commanding Officer over the past four and a half years. (turns to Genny and offers a big hug).
May you enjoy a long and happy retirement Genny - you deserve it !
I would like to take this opportunity of thanking everyone for coming to the ceremony today - it is good to see you all - especially those that have travelled from other quadrants of the galaxy to be here! (smiles).
So finally to the immediate future ......
Having been the Exec Officer aboard SS Astraios for the past four and a half years, hopefully it will mean a smooth transition for the 'change of command'.
With that in mind ........
As the Commanding Officer of SS Astraios, I hereby appoint Major Kem Vala to the position of Acting Executive Officer - with your approval Admiral".

To which RAdm Skinstad said "Computer, transfer Major Kem Vala to Command, with the Brevet rank of Commander and the position of Acting Executive Officer aboard SS Astraios
"The Computer beeped "Transfer Complete, Commander Kem Vala is now the Acting Executive Officer aboard SS Astraios".
.......................................................................................

RAdm Skinstad concluded by saying"Having reached the end of the ceremony, I understand that everyone is invited to the Starfleet Boogie Venue on Enterprize region for a drink, dance and friendly chat. Thanks everyone for attending and I now dismiss everyone".

ImageImage

photos taken by Capt Dolfke Barbosa

Return to “Astraios Colony”