RP Narrative: Love is a Many-Spatial Thing (220217)

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

PREVIOUS:
RP Narrative: Temporally Yours (220123)
viewtopic.php?f=886&t=33352

RP Narrative: Alternate Timelines & Strawberry Cake (211230)
viewtopic.php?f=886&t=33304

RP Narrative: From Maricaa to Shanklin (211227)
viewtopic.php?f=886&t=33298

RP Narrative: Cronon Homecoming (211114)
viewtopic.php?f=886&t=33249

RP Narrative: Tabby Cats & Replicants & Long Goodbyes (210924)
viewtopic.php?f=886&t=33220

TDRP2139-D: "Measure for Measure" (210821) TF Gemini
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33108

TDRP2140-D: "What are ye orbs?" (210911) TF Gemini
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33122

TDRP2141-D: "Mutiny, and a nice cup of tea." (210918) TF Gemini
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33142
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

CHARACTERS:

Evelyn Rieko, Retired (Starfleet Reserves)
James T Hode, Retired (Starfleet Reserves) ((Poison Toocool))

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

RP NARRATIVE
--------------

Evelyn Rieko-Hode was dazed a bit by Jim's question, asking if she was with child. That came out of nowhere, and surprised her. They were discussing timelines and he was asking her to help him to get to Cronon. He wants to speak to someone at Starfleet for clearance to contact Araina. Then when she told him she had news for him, he asked if the news was her being with child. That question made her feel anxious and nervous, but she calmed herself and responded. She had told him the news she wanted to tell him about was concerning proof she and Dr. Remick found that he was not from this timeline. Now, he stood in the laboratory with her, waiting for detailed information. She looked at him and smiled, "So Jim, I have proof as I told you that confirms you really were on Cronon as you said for 2 years, Have a seat if you like." She turns on the computer and taps away for a few minutes.

James T. Hode followed Evelyn into the hydroponics lab. It wasn’t exactly astrometrics or a proper science lab, but he saw the computer screens. As long as they could access information collected by Starfleet as well as civilian authorities here, it was a start. For him, it was a relief to be here and have something to do, something that might explain what had happened to him. He was acutely aware of Evelyn’s presence. She was so beautiful, warm and soft, wise and intelligent. She was helping him even knowing that her help might mean he would disappear from her life again. He marveled at her strength. It worried him that she hadn’t answered his question about a possible pregnancy. Once in a while he’d ask himself, even if he could go back… should he? He was home at Sandown with a woman he had always respected. He suspected if he had never met Araina, he and Evelyn would be together, just like this. It would be easy to accept this timeline. More easy than perhaps she knew. But then he would remember the thousands who were dying on Cronon and Tramlu. Even if he was able to let go of Araina and turn to Evelyn, and be her husband in every way that mattered… he could not abandon those people. He sat down, feeling sadness wash over him.

When Jim sat next to her, Evelyn looked at him and suddenly felt flustered… his nearness caused her to feel that desire again, but instead of moving away, she moved her chair a little closer to him. She kinda liked the feeling although she wasn't sure if she would act on it. It would upset him, probably. She nibbled her bottom lip and turned back to the computer screen… back to business. "Ok, Jim... first I will tell you something remarkable. You've heard the ancient saying here on Earth about you are what you eat, and it's meant somewhat figuratively.. meaning food affects your body and your health. Well, that is even more true on Cronon, literally you are what you eat..Not that if you eat a Cronon berre or slurka, you would be a berre or slurka… but meaning, it can change your body." She paused for a moment, looking at Jim. then continued. "You've noticed on Cronon the people and most plants, most bodies of water, are various shades of purple. There is a common enzyme that causes that color in the flora and fauna of the planet. It's the reason they have a long lifespan compared to most humanoids. It's similar to the lifespan of the El Aurians. Yet the Cronons have a physiology and biology very much like humans. That is why when a human lives there for a long period of time the food he eats, the water he drinks, starts to make changes on a molecular level. A kind of metamorphosis.”

Jim quickly caught her drift. “You are saying that my body carries the Cronon enzyme, and that this proves that I have lived there for the best part of two years?” He nodded. “That’s a beginning, I suppose. It doesn’t explain what happened to me. Someone *must* have tampered with the timeline. I can’t, for the life of me, imagine anyone in Starfleet or here on Earth who would have any reason to alter the timeline. Can you?” Her nearness flustered him but he tried to keep his mind focussed on the problem at hand. “It has to be someone on Cronon or Tramlu.” He drummed his fingers on the table. “What if… what if someone on Tramlu wanted to turn back the clock? Maybe to a time that Cronon was weaker? So they could take over or negotiate more favourable terms.” he shook his head. “But that doesn’t make sense. Cronon has been superior to Tramlu in terms of infrastructure and military for generations. Why change the timeline… for just a few years?” He looked perplexed.

Evelyn looked to JIm, again. "Yes, your body carries the Cronon enzyme, and it has made changes to your body that are really improvements, and will lengthen your lifespan. No, I have no idea who would want to change the timeline. I contacted my friend Captain Jeera Zadi, she has worked in the Department of Temporal Investigations. I don't know about your timeline but it's probably the same. Here we have the Federation Temporal Investigation Department. It's not talked about and is secretive because of the classified data. It is a department within the Federation government, tasked with ensuring that time travel events which occur and make changes are corrected. Whether the timeline interference is on purpose or accidental, they hunt the perpetrator, apprehend them and correct the time line…" She looked into Jim's eyes, "My friend Zadi, she’s Bajoran so her given name is Zadi, but anyway, she could not tell me everything because it's classified, but she did say there was a spatial anomaly that caused a ripple in the space time continuum... and that it was near… guess where? MM hm, Cronon. They are investigating it. So, you're right it was someone from Cronon or Tramlu."

Jim drew a breath in and said, “It’s possible there is another explanation. I’ve made this very personal to myself. But what if the shift has nothing to do with me personally. What was your Jim doing here before… I arrived? I mean, I know you both were asleep. Was he working on anything scientific? An experiment or anything? Something that might have caused some sort of time-shift in the lab?” He shifted in his chair. “Yes, I am sure they exist in… the other timeline. The fact that they exist proves again the possibility that time can be changed if one has the technology to do so.” His face brightened at the information. “A spatial anomaly? That could be reason enough for us… to try to contact Cronon and explain?

Evelyn watched Jim's face brighten up when he spoke of contacting Cronon. She felt the tears trying to start but she held them back. She wanted to explain a little of what had happened to him. “This is a working theory. Dr. Remick and I developed. Jim, when the timeline changed your body was going through a change on a molecular level, that occurs every three months. It's a molecular process the enzyme takes your body through. It's not permanent. You lose some of the benefits but then regain them every three months. It's a cycle. The change was occurring and caused you to retain knowledge of your true timeline. Your memories are intact. The person went back in time leaving the true timeline at the time you were asleep and the process was at its peak. So while you were sleeping the process was happening. Your cells and molecules were changing as you were shifted into this timeline… like I was and like everybody else has been, but we have no memories of an alternate timeline. You do."

Evelyn turned away from him and said, "Jim, you are dying to see Araina again aren't you? Even if you contact Cronon and convince her to see you, what good would that do? It would be hard for her to believe you, and even if by some miracle she believed you, how could the two of you stop the war? This proof shows that you did live on Cronon those years, and you were married to Queen Araina, but it was not in this timeline. I know that is not something you can easily forget about, just like I was married to you for two years and it's not something I can easily just forget about… you asked about my Jim, you are my Jim! Mine! In this timeline, you are!" She felt anger, desire, sadness, all at the same time, she continued: "Jim, you could stay with me… have you ever thought of that? Stay here with me... be mine. Once the Temporal Investigations Officers apprehend this person or persons and reset the timeline everything will go back to the way it was. You'll be back on Cronon...with your wife Araina… I'll be back on Durant as CO. But we could have each other now. It's difficult for me to accept that we are not supposed to be together.” She tried to sound calm but she knew she didn't sound that way at all. She leaned forward to touch his hair, his cheek and then his lips… outlining them with her index finger, " We are so good together Jim. You have no idea. You have no memory of it, but I do. It was as natural as breathing. We adored each other. I miss the way you looked at me... so… special… I could feel your love. We made each other happy without even trying. Jim, I am so yours. Stay here, be mine. You are mine."

Jim listened closely as she explained. He was not insensitive. He felt she was covering up her hurt at his eagerness to contact Cronon. And then she asked if he would stay. He almost leaned back as she reached out to touch him. He felt that sadness again, and stayed still, feeling her fingers brush his skin. He would reach out and place his hand on hers, if she would allow it. “Evelyn, I want you to know that I care about you a great deal. There are many reasons why I wish I could stay in this timeline with you.” He looked into her face, “Many. But I think of the war that is happening in this timeline.” He said sadly, “A war that I hope could have been stopped in the timeline I came from. I couldn’t bear to stay here knowing so many people are losing their sons and daughters in a conflict that shouldn’t be happening. It’s our responsibility as Starfleet officers and as human beings to think beyond ourselves, isn’t it? I also hate the idea that… well… if I’m able to go back to my time… I would hate to think your Jim doesn’t return to you. I really would.” He looked close to tears. Wiping his face with his free hand, he tried to focus. “Do you think the person responsible understood about the enzymes? Would they have realized that I would know the timeline had been changed? Or was it their mistake?” He paused for a moment. “If they didn’t realize, they would think that they had achieved their objective… “ He nodded slowly, “But perhaps they didn’t realize that my going to Cronon meant that a peace was negotiated between the two planets, a peace that many wished to have so that their children and grandchildren could have lives filled with laughter and contentment. I wonder if, whoever it is, also remembers what they did… and now regrets it.”

Evelyn looked to Jim, feeling sad and defeated. "Yes, the person that goes back in time, and corrupts the timeline, they are fully aware of what has happened. They know what they've done. The person that goes back in time, is in a way outside of the timeline, until they come back to the present. While in the past they could see their younger self. This person knows what has happened. The rest of us are unaware that we are living altered lives. You were in the middle of a molecular process when the timeline changed and that kept your memories intact. Zadi explained alot about time travel and timelines to me." She listened to Jim's rejection, put warmly and sweetly and she understood… she wasn't sure he understood what she was asking, so she attempted to clarify, "Jim, I know it would be difficult for you to stay here with me and do nothing… and just wait for the Temporal Authorities to correct everything. I can understand that, and I too feel compassion and great sorrow for the many deaths caused by a war you could prevent. If they succeed you won’t be able to stay here with me in this timeline for good, even if you wanted to, and I would never ask you to stay permanently even if it were possible… I would never place my relationship or happiness over the lives of thousands of people. It's important to me that you understand that. But the way I see it... things will return to the way they were in time... The Temporal Authorities will set things right, and we will go back to the way it was… no war would have ever happened. We will go back to your timeline." She looked into Jim's eyes again, "I wanted you to stay here with me until that happens, but I understand if you want to try to make that happen sooner… We could work on our end and try to get answers, and find the culprit."

“If they know what they have done, and can see the results, why wouldn’t they try themselves to change it?” Jim sighed. “But if they did, who knows what would happen? They obviously didn’t expect things to change to the point that thousands would die.” A shot of pain went through him and he said, “What if they are no longer alive? If they were somehow killed in the war, or had an accident of some kind… “ his voice trailed off. He understood what she was asking. To be hers, completely, as long as he was in this timeline. This time a tear did run down his cheek. “Oh Evelyn,” he said softly. “There is a part of me that wants every part of you. But even if I knew now that going back to my own timeline would wipe all my memories of this,” he gestured, “away… I can’t. I can’t break my word to Araina. I can’t love you the way I… I wish I could.”

=^=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

MISSION IMAGES
-----------------

Jim and Evelyn in the Laboratory 220217

'Here is the proof that you lived on Cronon the past two years.'

'Who would have changed the timeline like this?'