Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

PREVIOUS:
RP Narrative: Alternate Timelines & Strawberry Cake (211230)
viewtopic.php?f=886&t=33304

RP Narrative: From Maricaa to Shanklin (211227)
viewtopic.php?f=886&t=33298

RP Narrative: Cronon Homecoming (211114)
viewtopic.php?f=886&t=33249

RP Narrative: Tabby Cats & Replicants & Long Goodbyes (210924)
viewtopic.php?f=886&t=33220

TDRP2139-D: "Measure for Measure" (210821) TF Gemini
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33108

TDRP2140-D: "What are ye orbs?" (210911) TF Gemini
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33122

TDRP2141-D: "Mutiny, and a nice cup of tea." (210918) TF Gemini
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33142
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

CHARACTERS:

Evelyn Rieko, Retired (Starfleet Reserves)
James T Hode, Retired (Starfleet Reserves) ((Poison Toocool))

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

RP NARRATIVE:
---------------

James T. Hode: It had been a long night. He'd slept some. The sailboat had been rocking against the dock due to a light squall that had come up in the early hours. Laying in his bunk with one hand under his head, he'd gone through his memory of the last few days. It was all confusing. Yet he was absolutely sure that his recollection of his life before... awakening here was true and real. For the life of him he could not fathom what had happened to move him from a timeline with Araina to a timeline with Evelyn. Half of him wondered not only how he had come here, but why. Was his presence to incite some unexpected catastrophe? And why him. He was, admittedly, a small cog in any wheel. He wasn't a Commanding Officer, he had little status in Starfleet, he had no prestige on Earth other than his title and a bit of land. It all made no sense. And the hardest thing about it was that he missed Araina - his wife... and was here with another wife whose gentle and loving heart was slowly being broken by a husband who found himself hemmed in by vows to someone in another life. He sighed. Rising, he drew on his clothes and boots, and stepped out to the deck. The morning was cool and foggy. He looked at the sea for a few moments and then turned to head to the house. He needed coffee.

Evelyn Rieko-Hode stood on the steps of the cottage looking out at Jim's sailboat docked securely. The water looked peaceful and serene now, just the opposite of what she is feeling. She feels frustration and longing. Frustrated for many reasons, the fun and enjoyment she and Jim shared is no longer present in their relationship, he is distant, he is kind and polite, but that's treating her like a stranger, and maybe to him she is just his First Officer. He has no memory of the last two years filled with love and passion and the wedded bliss and enjoyment they shared. While they look for proof that this is a corrupted timeline, he is also building a wall between them...keeping them apart. He has slept on his boat since the morning seven days ago when he woke up with this strange amnesia. She wants to believe it is a strange amnesia, but she realizes now that she has to accept that Jim's memories are real, but it is very difficult to accept. She knows he is doing the right thing keeping a distance between them emotionally and physically but that does not stop her from feeling the sadness and longing because of it. She sees Jim coming from his boat and she waves, waiting , and as he reaches her she smiles and says, "Good morning! Did you sleep well?"

As Jim walked up to the cottage he saw Evelyn standing on the porch. In some strange way, it seemed right and proper that she be there. In the other life, Araina would never have been here in this way. He wouldn't even have suggested a trip to Earth to her, it was so far away from her Cronon home and her responsibilities as Queen. If she needed to negotiate with Starfleet they were right there in the Delta Quadrant. No doubt she would expect they would come to her... in fact, they had. They had sent him. Before that... and even afterward, he had felt an attraction to Evelyn, one that might have come to fruition if he hadn't met Araina and also if he hadn't felt constrained by his role as Commanding Officer. Evelyn tugged at his heartstrings, especially when he saw the look on her face sometimes. This past week had been so hard. Still, she waved, and the spirit that was in her that he had always respected and admired was there. He felt a rush of affection for her, and replied, "Good morning. Not too well, it was a little stormy," he chuckled. He came up to her and stood only a few inches away, looking down at her face, wishing he could smooth away her cares. Instead he would reach to touch her arm, if permitted, and say, "How are you this morning."

Evelyn: "I'm sorry you did not sleep well, Jim. You know you don't have to sleep out there on your boat. You could sleep in the cottage with me, um,oh, I don't mean… I mean, not with me! I mean in the cottage with me... on the sofa!” She laughed at how ridiculous she sounded and the way she messed up what she was trying to say. A simple sentence really but her desire was getting in the way of what she was saying with him standing so close, looking into her eyes and touching her arm. She shook her head, laughed again softly and said, "Let's go have breakfast, shall we?"

"Breakfast sounds good," Jim said. If he was entirely honest - he was a man, for heaven's sake - he was not blind to her beauty. She was gorgeous inside and out. Intelligent, confident, sweet, thoughtful, full of life. A little part of him wished this life was his life. That he was home at Sandown with his lovely wife, living a life of contentment, a little work, a little sailing, a little gardening... waking up beside his companion-for-life and talking of everything and anything over tea by the fire late at night. But he knew it was a fantasy. Each day that passed his anxiety over Araina grew. If he was here, what had happened to her?

Evelyn: He let her enter the cottage before him, holding the door for her. Then at the table he stood while she moved the platters of food to the table that she had already set. He held her chair for her and when she was seated took his own. She loved it that he was a gentleman, it seemed to be an innate part of him, and that was something she found attractive about him, among so many other things. She had made them omelets and croissants, orange juice and coffee. She looked to him and said, "Jim, this is not a huge breakfast like the one you prepared yesterday…the fry up! It made me feel giddy with laughter as I ate so much of the food you prepared. I have to make sure I don't do that too often, I have to keep my weight in order, especially if I go back to Starfleet… but then none of this matters I guess, once you go back to your correct timeline.”

Jim held the door for her, then followed her to the table, where he held her chair for her. On the dresser was a large photo of the two of them in uniform, holding hands... dancing? That was her memory. Many lovely times with her Captain, who then became her husband. Once she was seated, he moved to sit down. He shook his head at her, "It always matters, Evelyn. You take great pride in your appearance, and in your work. Even though this is a difficult time, you have so much intelligence and capacity that you should always follow the habits that are natural to you. They will help you hold on to who you are even when... circumstances are not what you would wish." He looked at the breakfast she had placed on the table, "This is perfect, in any case. Simple is good." He took a croissant and broke it, placing some butter on a corner and eating it. Then he paused: "There is so much to... I worry about what happened to your Jim. If I am here, where is he? And if I am here, is Araina alone?" He spooned some sugar into his coffee and took a sip. "I was thinking, it makes no sense... if someone was trying to change the timeline for some reason, it makes no sense that I be the one sent to another... dimension. I'm... relatively speaking, I'm rather a nobody. I have no power, there is nothing I know or can do that anyone would... need to change or affect." His face was thoughtful. "It makes me wonder... do you think it possible that this happened because someone wanted to affect Araina? Would someone on Cronon or Tramlu hate her enough to... use technology to try to change things so she didn't become Queen... or make her position weaker in some way? Is she in danger? Here and now?" He put his coffee cup down.

Evelyn was going to share the bit of proof she had found and verified with Doctor Remick. She had put it off long enough. She stopped, and listened to all he said, accepting his compliments to her and then listening to the worry in his voice when he spoke of Araina. "Those are all very good questions. It is very possible that this could be because of you and Araina. When you two met, everything changed on Cronon as you've told me. So, maybe someone did not want those changes. Maybe someone hates her enough to change things by using technology, and changing the past, causing the two of you to never meet… or… or maybe someone loves her enough to change things. Maybe it's the romantic in me, but that's also a possibility. If Araina never meets you...then maybe this other person will have the chance to have her. I don't know." She ran her fingers through her hair as she does when worried or excited. “Also, the question is, are we in parallel worlds or one timeline that has been corrupted. If it is a parallel world you're from, then my Jim should be with your Araina, I would think… but if it's one timeline corrupted, then I don't have a Jim, only you… and you're here with me as mine because someone changed the past." She looked at him, tried to smile and said, “I have some information for you … in the lab. I will show you and discuss it after breakfast.”

Thoughts went through Jim’s mind like quicksilver. In this timeline he was a retired Starship Captain. He had negotiated several important diplomatic situations while he was Commanding Officer of the Durant -- even if his history had been somewhat changed. He had gone over the Durant logs that were available to him. "One thing I haven't done... is look at the recent history and status of Cronon, to see what is happening there. At the time I left there was some civil conflict but we didn't really know who was behind it. There were of course always the Tramlu separatists but the reason for my initial visit there was to negotiate an agreement between the two planets and that had been to a great extent successful although there were still protests by some on each side." He looked to her face, and nodded quickly, "Quite, quite. It is difficult to know if it is a parallel world situation or one timeline being changed. Do you remember," he said softly, "of course you remember, the classes at Academy about maintaining the timeline? That directive, in and of itself, proves it's possible to change things." He leaned back. "Some information? I hope it's... " he was going to say 'good' but either way nothing would be good. "I wonder... do you think I could get some kind of a diplomatic status as a retired Starfleet command officer... enough to give me clearance to contact Cronon and speak to Araina?" His voice trailed off. He doubted he would be given that privilege. And he doubted she would speak with some unknown ex-officer. He probably wouldn't even get through her comms people.

Evelyn looked to Jim as he wondered about what had happened on Cronon and what had happened to Araina. She felt compassion for him being away from his world and his… wife. She hesitated a moment before telling him about Cronon. Of course she knew. She reached across the table for his hand, and said, "Jim, I'm sorry to tell you this, but there is a war going on now between Cronon and Tramlu. The last Arbitrator that went there brought me back plants from the planet. I have been very interested in what is happening there on Cronon and Tramlu, and I have kept informed about the war. Thousands of people are dying on both planets. Cronon has higher technology and so their casualties are less, but still thousands have died. The Queen Araina and the royals are alive, none of them harmed for now." She felt compassion but also for the first time anger but she held it inside, she felt angry that he wanted to speak with Araina. "Jim I know Araina is your wife… but I feel like I am your wife. It hurts me to have you sit there across from me and so desperate to speak with Araina!” She calms herself and says, "I'm sorry Jim… this is stressful. I understand this is not your timeline. I am trying to think rationally." She breathes inhaling deeply and exhales calming herself. "I am convinced you were in a different timeline… what I've found proves it. You are Araina's husband. I just have to keep reminding myself of that. It's complicated. I don't think Araina would want to talk with you. I don't know if Starfleet will help you to contact her, but we can try speaking with Starfleet and try to get you clearance." He is Araina's husband. It is too complicated. Suddenly she wished this could all go back to the way it should be… his correct timeline.

As she spoke of the situation on Cronon, Jim would reach a hand to place it over hers. “It must be so difficult for you,” he said, even as he took in what she said. “This is all so surreal, for both of us. It’s hard for me to… grasp that there is a war between those two worlds, because a week ago we were working to find ways to calm the situation. I am… sort of surprised that you knew about this but didn’t tell me until now.” He took a breath, because different emotions were coursing through him and he wanted to be calm and think things through. “I’m trying to think rationally too. Even if we are able to get through to Araina… why should she believe me? She has never met me and… well… look, it’s probably not good for us to talk to her until we have some answers. But in the meantime, maybe it would be good to try to get the clearance anyway, just in case there’s something we need to… explain to her.” His voice faltered a little. How difficult would it be to see Araina and know she didn’t love him? Didn’t know him from Adam? Envisioning that in his mind made him appreciate even more how Evelyn must feel. He looked at her. All of a sudden his face went pale and he looked at her intently. Her beauty was so natural and she shone bright - always had. But it seemed to him, despite the situation, their estrangement because… well, he wasn’t going to sleep with… her Jim’s wife… and break his own marriage vows… quite right. Right. Still, even though he sensed her sadness and knew he was the cause… there was something about her… what did she want to tell him? He said slowly: “This news… the news you want to tell me… are you… “ he swallowed quickly, “are you… with child?” The words fell around him like boulders, rocking his world. Both worlds.

=^=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

MISSION IMAGES
-----------------

A foggy morning at Sandown, England.

Jim has been sleeping on his boat during a squall.

Jim is married to the Cronon Queen... isn't he?

How did Jim end up here, in a time he doesn't remember?

Evelyn Rieko-Hode... with a husband who has a different wife?

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant Mess Hall”