RP Narrative: Tabby Cats & Replicants & Long Goodbyes (210924)

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: CO
Ship/Station Posted: Denkiri Centre
Grid: 3rd Rock Grid

RP Narrative: Tabby Cats & Replicants & Long Goodbyes (210924)

PREVIOUS:
TDRP2139-D: "Measure for Measure" (210821) TF Gemini
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33108

TDRP2140-D: "What are ye orbs?" (210911) TF Gemini
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33122

TDRP2141-D: "Mutiny, and a nice cup of tea." (210918) TF Gemini
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33142

=^=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

CHARACTERS:
Captain Evelyn Rieko, XO, USS Taylorholic Durant
Captain James T Hode, Retired (Starfleet Reserves)

Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

STARDATE:

RP NARRATIVE:

Captain Evelyn Rieko sees Jim from a distance as she walks to meet him, he's standing looking out at the lake with his back to her. She knows it's him even from a distance... the way he moves, and his mannerisms. She stops, takes a deep inhale and then exhales slowly, then walks the rest of the way to meet him. She smiles and says, "Hello Jim, I'm sorry I'm late. I was in a meeting with an Ensign, and there was an issue with LCARS, a virus. It's all sorted now."

Captain James T Hode left his duffle bag in his temporary quarters and went for a final stroll before his shuttle departure. The colony seemed very quiet in the early morning. After walking some time he paused, looking at the lagoon. They had been rebuilding here. Everything looked new. Cadets rushed by, on their way to some exercise, he supposed. He sighed, almost wishing he was that young and enthusiastic again. He had been able to read the logs of the Durant and it was quite clear to him… that the crew - once they realized the James Hode aboard wasn’t actually him, but a replicant - they had risked themselves to get him and the other two officers back. He had been stunned to find out he had been replaced by a robot of sorts - a very sophisticated one, as it had gone through the regular transporter protocols and security scans when it had been beamed aboard. If it had behaved more human, it might have accomplished its objective. A sobering thought. His ruminations were broken when he heard Evelyn's voice. He turned to look at her with a quick smile, "Good morning, and no worries, Captain." She looked as bright and full of spirit as she always did. "It's nice to see you."

Evelyn's gaze darted over him, his eyes, his hair, his lips...those lips she used to dream about but never touched. He looked good, strong and robust. "It's nice to see you too! You look great, energetic, and happy. Life on Cronon seems to agree with you. You look good in civilian clothes." She thought of the Bech Jim Hode and said, "It was good seeing you on the Durant bridge again, but it wasn't really you. I'm glad we were able to find you and the two officers. That was stressful but all worked out well."

Jim had been fully checked out by Starfleet Medical and had spent some hours detailing his capture by the Borg offshoots called Bech and his subsequent rescue by the USS Taylorholic Durant, under the command of its then First Officer, Captain Evelyn Rieko. His experiences with the Bech had been chilling. He had been sure they would assimilate him and the two shuttle crew with him. He still recalled the last message he had sent from the shuttle to the Durant, telling them to hightail it out of there. But somehow they had won through and transported him off the sphere. Unharmed, but traumatized by the experience. He was quite sure Araiana would be horrified to hear the details of what happened. Those he could tell her, being that some of it would be classified. He sighed softly. He was looking forward to going home, but also felt torn. He looked into Evelyn's face and said, "how are you, how is the crew? Oh! And congratulations, I hear Admiral Toocool is stepping down as CO."

Evelyn: "I'm fine, thanks for asking. Thank you for the congratulations! Yes the Admiral is stepping down. It's so strange, Jim. I don't want her to leave but I want her to do what's best for her. When I was a cadet I dreamed of one day commanding a starship... now the day is approaching and although I am very honored and even happy to accept the command of Durant, I feel sad at the same time. The crew seems to be coping well and congratulated me." She sighed, “All good things must come to an end."

Jim realized he hadn’t really responded to her compliments. Too wrapped up in himself. “You’ll do a great job, Evelyn. You have been an excellent First Officer. You have a knack with people, too. You’re always kind to me,” he said softly. She had said he looked energetic and happy. He must be a wonderful actor. He hadn’t enjoyed his ‘vaycay’ with the Bech. He had to admit, though, that being part of Starfleet, spending time here at HQ, writing reports and talking to fellow officers… reminded him of what he had given up in order to be Solio. Did he regret it? He’d be lying if he didn’t say that sometimes, he did. Evelyn. She had been his First Officer during his year assignment in command of the Durant. An excellent, knowledgeable and thoughtful officer. He felt sure she was more than ready for her own command. He had grown to like her personally during his time on the Durantl. In fact, if he hadn’t met Araina… he tore his thoughts away from that. Why was he so reflective? Wasn’t he eager to get home? Maybe being captured by the Bech wouldn’t be so easy to get over. Even with a clearance by Medical. He ran his hand through his hair. Maybe he should delay his departure? “I wonder if.. “ he paused. He would reach out his hand, offering to shake hers. If she responded, he would hold it.. He could use the excuse of the CoC to stay longer. He imagined Araina’s face if he said he would be another few days, and knew he couldn’t do it. “No…” he shook his head, “I’m sorry I can’t be here for the Change of Command Ceremony.”

"Oh, I'm sorry you won't be able to stay for the ceremony." Evelyn tried not to sound too disappointed. "I realize you have been away from home for awhile now and are anxious to get back there. How is life on Cronon? I have thought about you at times and wondered what your new life is like there. I guess you don't miss all the travel and adventure and logs that came with commanding the ship." She laughed softly looking into his eyes. When she looked into his eyes it felt like time stood still, and she remembered the day they said goodbye on the Durant. He’d kissed her hands, he said sweet things to her and he said goodbye. She shook her head, clearing away those thoughts.

Jim lifted his hand to run it through his hair. He’d seen the emotion cross her face. “Cronon is… an interesting planet. There are still some conflicts and not everyone is enthusiastic about their Queen wishing to marry someone from another world. I ah….Command suits you,” he said. “I don’t think it really suited me,” he confessed, “I did it, but it wasn’t a natural fit for me, like it is for people like Admiral Toocool. And you,” he smiled. “I passed all the courses and the training, but deep down perhaps I would have been better as a Chief Science,” he looked to her. Maybe it was more natural for him to support someone else. Like he did at home, with the Cronon Queen. “I do miss it sometimes though.”

Evelyn: "We miss you sometimes too, those of us that remember the Captain Hode days. You say Command does not suit you, but you really were a wonderful Commanding Officer of the Durant. You were always sure of yourself when on the bridge. You were a bit intimidating really! Off the bridge you were aloof most of the time, but friendly when approached. You took good care of the crew just like Admiral Toocool did. I admire you both so much. In many situations I find myself thinking what would Jim do? I think you are more suited for Command than you give yourself credit for.” She then suddenly asked "What's your favorite food on Cronon? Your favorite Cronon meal? And do you have a pet there?"

Jim stood there, looking at her, and feeling her eyes on his face, knowing she was disappointed about his leaving before the CoC… he thought again of making some excuse so he could stay longer. He swore inwardly at his state of indecision. Had he become soft? “Admire me? Do as I say, not as I do,” he said playfully, attempting to interject some humour. “I am more of a diplomat than a commanding officer these days,” he said reflectively. “I suppose I am rather fond of hearing my own voice droning on in long council meetings,” he winked. “Food? Well, there is a fruit… a kind of berry… it tastes to me a bit like a Terran blackberry… they make these pastries with it. It’s very tasty and very tempting to eat several at one sitting if one isn’t careful,” he smiled. “I don’t have a pet. If I was back here on Earth I’d probably have a tabby cat! But not on Cronon. They don’t seem very pet-friendly.”

Evelyn listened to him talk about the food and he made her smile when he derided himself a bit... saying he liked the sound of his own voice going on and on as a diplomat. "Yes you are great as a diplomat and an arbitrator. You did so well in helping Cronon and Tramlu come to an agreement. I always feel so proud of you when I think of it. Oh! That blackberry type pastry sounds so delicious! If you come back, bring me some! That would be a nice gift! You say Cronon is not pet-friendly, that's not good. I know it's a great place in other ways, but that's a minus from me." She nibbled on her bottom lip, looked at Jim into his eyes again and asked , "Jim, are you happy?"

Jim: “I will bring ‘bere’ pastries when next I return… one thing I don’t miss is replicated food,” he said. “It’s rather nice to have home cooked meals… even if they are made in the Palace kitchen. When I lived here,” he turned to look at the water, “when I was offduty I returned to my family cottage on the coast in England. I baked my scones and even sometimes bread, and cooked my own meals. My Dad always loved a good fry-up,” he smiled, “that’s eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, sausage, and more… not good for the cardiovascular system but does wonders for you on a cold winter morning,” he chuckled. He thought about her question. So simple. “Are you happy?” He honestly couldn’t remember being ‘happy’ for any long stretch of time, at any time in his life. Comfortable. Yes. Contented. Yes. Happy? “I think…” he said slowly, “I have given up the pursuit of happiness. Happiness is… rather like sunshine. When it’s there, it’s there, when it isn’t, you walk in the rain. I have given up striving for something that is beyond my control, like the weather. I enjoy aspects of my life.” He turned to look at her. Should he stay longer? Had he made the wrong choice? “Fate sort of took the decision from me,” he said out loud for the first time. “When I put my hand in the hand of the Cronon Queen, destiny took me on a new path.” Even if he could split himself in two, what would he actually do here? He could be wrong, but, they might not give him a command now that he had become involved with an alien woman and resigned his commission. He might have the rank of Captain but he was relatively sure he would not be given that role, nor even that of First Officer. He felt too old to start again. Unless he went into research or analysis. But it was being on board ship he had enjoyed the most… exploring strange new worlds, and that sort of thing. He looked at her again and smiled. “I’m happy knowing you are going to command the flagship. That’s a great honor, Evelyn, and you deserve it.”

Evelyn felt a bit of sadness, as she watched him and listened to him speak of giving up the pursuit of happiness, but he did say that it's like the weather, sometimes it's there like sunshine and sometimes it's not. To her it seemed sad to say you’ve given up the pursuit of happiness. She wanted him to be happy. That's one of the things that helped her accept that he would never be hers, and move on, the fact that she believed he was happy, overjoyed living on Cronon... but his responses were nothing like what she had expected. Then she heard him speak of her commanding the flagship and being happy about that. "Yes Jim, it is a great honor. I feel so honored and I will always do my best to make Admiral Toocool and you proud of me. Thanks for saying I deserve this Command. I’m happy that makes you happy. " She reached out to take his hand but stopped before touching it. " You're right fate did make your decision for you... hmm, or did it? Could you have backed away from it all and remained here? I don't know. I think you made the choice in the end. I really hope you are happy with it. I want you to be.”

Jim smiled at her. “Don’t mind me,” he said gently. “The time with the Bech… when I thought ‘this is it, the last thing I will see is the face of a drone and the walls of a Borg-like sphere’… it rather put me in a reflective mood. They say your life passes through your mind in those last few minutes, but it didn’t. After I was rescued, and I was safe back here, then it did. It will be good to go home.” He paused, and then shook his head, “I was meant to meet Araina. We have a good life and I have nothing to complain about, at all. I just miss my friends sometimes,” he looked at her face, “It’s an alien world, and not everyone is a fan of mine.” He tilted his head, “Maybe I should take a tabby cat back with me.”

Evelyn smiled, "Maybe you should! Maybe I will come and visit you one day, and you and Araina could give me a tour of your city." She knew she should end the conversation, this was a good spot to end it but she didn't really want to... It was so good to see Jim again. She looked to him, "Yes I can imagine thinking you were going to die or be assimilated would put one into a reflective mood. It's so nice to see you again Jim."

“It’s nice to see you too,” Jim said, a wave of yearning flowing over him and then receding as he recalled his beautiful Araina and how they had met. “You know,” he said, “If I can give any advice it’s be wary of the idea of romance being all-encompassing. Never give up who you are, or what you do, for someone else.” He looked at her with a serious face, “Everything you have accomplished has value. Never diminish yourself for someone else.” Perhaps she knew all that already, being such a bright light and so confident in her abilities. Still. “I guess I better go,” he said, and this time he reached a hand for hers, “my shuttle leaves soon.”

When Jim left to marry Araina, Evelyn had no choice but to accept that Jim was forever out of her reach, and out of her life, on a far off planet engaged to a Queen. She remembered after he'd left , she stayed on the Durant as they battled the Romulans, but as soon as the war was over she took time for herself to heal her heart. She took leave and went home to cry in her mother's arms. Then in her room she played sad love songs over and over again...and that helped for some reason.Then she was over him, or so she had thought. Seeing him now she realized the love songs were true, if you really love someone they would always have a place in your heart, and you will have feelings for them, there's always something there. She listened to his advice, and said, "Yes Jim, I will remember what you're saying. I will never diminish myself for someone else. I will remember that what I have accomplished has value... and romance is not all-encompassing." She felt strange... like he was advising her not to be like him. Like he felt he had done those things. She said, “Romance is not all-encompassing, but love is the most important thing, Jim! I think it is anyway.” One of those songs she had repeatedly listened to came into her mind: 'There’s no use looking back or wondering, how it could be now, or might have been, but no matter where life takes me to, a part of me will always be with you.' She placed her hand into his outstretched hand and said, “Fair winds and safe journey, Jim."

Jim felt a jolt as her hand slid into his. There had always been this unspoken attraction between them, never spoken because they were at the time, Captain and First Officer, and professional ethics said he could have her as a friend, nothing more. Even if he hadn’t met Araina, he doubted it would have worked out… they would have had separate commands unless one of them gave up a career… and the long absences played havoc with many relationships. “Perhaps in another life, in another timeline,” he said softly, pulling her to him for a hug, “things might have been different.” He kissed her forehead and let her go. “Keep going boldly,” he said. “And if the Durant passes near Cronon, you’re always welcome.”

=^=
Poison Toocool
Command - Vice Admiral
Command - Vice Admiral

Captain Evelyn Rieko

Captain James T. Hode

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant Mess Hall”