Personal and Duty Logs - Hal Jordan

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

Lieutenant JG Hal Jordan stepped through the doorway of his assigned Junior Officers Quarters room and dropped his bag on the deck. As the room's door closed behind him, he flopped down in the office chair next to the room's desk. He was still breathing hard after his run down the Peedy Thor station's hallway to the docking ring. Luckily the USS Taylorholic Durant was still present at the ring, having trouble releasing one of its docking clamps. Otherwise, it certainly would have been out of transporter range.

He had learned about his new assignment less than an hour earlier. The Durant's Commanding Officer had contacted Starfleet Command with a request to temporarily assign an Intelligence officer for an impending deployment. Apparently one of the ship's Intelligence Officers had come down with something called Terran influenza and was still contagious, thus not fit for duty. Starfleet Command had sent the request to Peedy Thor station, where Durant was docked, and Hal had seen it onscreen and responded just a couple of minutes faster than the next poor guy who missed the opportunity. He had packed important items into his carryall bag, stuffed his used uniforms and other replicatable items into the recycler in the corridor, and sprinted to the Welcome Deck. He had resisted the urge to visit the ill crewman in the Peedy Thor Sickbay, because there just wasn't time. It wouldn't have raised the guy's spirits to know that someone else was taking his place aboard the Delta Quadrant's flagship.

He stood up from the chair and looked around the room, stretching his arms out wide to get a feel for its size. It was somewhat smaller than his previous quarters on the starbase, but still surprisingly large. The room looked like the Starfleet standard setup for junior officers - everything in its familiar place and not a square centimeter of space wasted. It was nice not having to live with several people in the same room, like his days as an Ensign.

He looked at the room's viewscreen, which was currently displaying the stardate 180110 and the time 1145 hours. He had arrived fifteen minutes late, but still made it. So far his career in Starfleet had been much like a Horatio Hornblower novel - he tended to fall into the waste recycling vat and come out smelling like a rose. Suddenly the viewscreen flashed with the Durant logo, and the computer's pleasant voice filled the room: "Lieutenant Hal Jordan, please report to sickbay for a physical examination."

Hal smiled and whistled a happy tune as he walked out the door of his new room. Durant day one was looking good!
Captain Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)

Service Jacket

Executive Officer, USS Durant
UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

Computer, begin log entry.

Personal log, Lieutenant Hal Jordan, USS Taylorholic Durant. I have returned to the ship from the Engineering section of the USS Essex (NCC-173), which has been broken up into three pieces and is drifting nearby. Starfleet records show that the Essex crashed on a moon of the planet Mab-Bu VI, 247 years ago. The wreckage was last visited 46 years ago by the USS Enterprise-D. How the ship ended up here is a mystery that will need to be solved by someone else. Although I am interested in finding that answer, my duties today lie elsewhere.

In the absence of a Medical officer, I volunteered to join the away team with a medical tricorder. I scanned some of the bodies in the Engineering section and on the Bridge, and retrieved three combadges. The combadge power cells were depleted, but I was able to bring them back to the Durant's Intelligence Lab and retrieve their information. The owners of the combadges were as follows:

• Operations Crewman Second Class Gary Hinekey, Human male, found on the main deck of Engineering
  • Operations Ensign Alban Maclean, Human male, found on the catwalk above the main deck of Engineering
  • Science Lieutenant Commander Tals Jyvok, Vulcan female, found on the Bridge

I checked Starfleet records and verified that all three were crew members on the Essex when it was lost with all hands in 2167. There was a service record available for each one, but I did not read through those. That information is not pertinent to our current mission, and it would serve only to cause more emotional distress. I have seen dead bodies before, but the manner of these deaths has chilled me to the bone, just as much as the frigid air inside the Essex. From all indications, each crew member was instantly frozen solid by an entity or a force which we have not yet discovered. Possibly a member of the Q Continuum took note of the Essex's passing, snapped his fingers, and extinguished all 229 lives. Or it could be that this abnormal area of space contains unseen anomalies that freeze living tissue or set it on fire or cause it to become gaseous. Or maybe the thought that's always in the back of my mind is true - none of this is happening, because the entire crew is under mind control.

There are several inconsistencies that support the last theory. The Essex was a pile of wreckage in the Alpha Quadrant in 2167, so how did it get here, so far away, and in relatively intact condition? Why was there a skeleton in Engineering, not a dessicated corpse but just bones, with no uniform or combadge? Why was there a seemingly identical skeleton on the Essex Bridge? Why are Starfleet combadges, which didn't come into general use until the 24th century, found on 22nd century crew members? And the most interesting inconsistency of all is that the Durant, the flagship of the fleet, with the finest, most up to date sensors available, is blind, deaf, and dumb, unable to detect anything or communicate with anyone outside the ship, due to a series of inexplicable and unlikely failures. Unfortunately it appears to be beyond my expertise to devise a test to prove whether we are under mind control. But if previous Starfleet experiences still hold true, the more inconsistencies we notice and the more we start to disbelieve what we are seeing, the harder it becomes for someone to retain control of our minds.

I will remain vigilant, alert for more inconsistent occurrences, and speak up to alert my fellow crew members if the time is right.

Computer, end log entry.

Service Jacket

UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

United Federation Starfleet
USS Taylorholic Durant
Stardate: 180817
Report submitted by: Lieutenant Hal Jordan, Vice Chief Intelligence Officer
Subject: Mission Report
-----
Intelligence Supplemental Report

While USS Taylorholic Durant was transiting from the Alpha Quadrant to the Delta Quadrant by way of the Khittomer Wormhole, the transit was interrupted and the ship entered an unknown area of space. There, Durant encountered USS Essex, NCC-173, thought to be destroyed in 2167 in the Alpha Quadrant. Essex was found in three pieces, so Durant personnel beamed aboard to render aid. Away teams discovered no survivors. The bodies of the Essex crew were beamed aboard the Durant and one was subjected to analysis. An unknown energy signature was discovered, and Durant crew members began to experience alarming mental symptoms indicating a possibly malevolent entity or entities. As a precautionary safety measure, the Essex crew were beamed back to their ship and demolition charges were placed. The Durant moved away, the charges were detonated, and Essex was destroyed.

Intelligence personnel reviewed and analyzed the Durant and Essex logs and reached the following conclusions:

• Durant's transit through the Khittomer Wormhole was most likely interrupted by a known Delta Quadrant wormhole called an Interspatial Flexure. USS Voyager encountered this phenomenon in 2375. The aperture of this wormhole, called an Intermittent Cyclical Vortex, probably connected briefly with the Khittomer Wormhole and drew Durant into it. Then, when the vortex disconnected, Durant was thrown into an interphasic rift. A similar event happened to the USS Defiant, NCC-1764, in 2268. While attempting a rescue, the Captain of the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701, was trapped in an interphasic rift, describing the experience as follows: "I had a whole universe to myself after the Defiant was thrown out. There was absolutely no one else in it." Durant exited the rift by visually detecting a region where stars could be seen and moving toward it. Durant ended up in the Delta Quadrant, one hundred ten light years from its desired position.
  • The unknown energy signatures detected in the bodies of the Essex crew probably came from interphasic organisms. They were encountered by the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-D, in 2370. Interphasic organisms are native to Thanatos VII, but also exist in interphasic rifts. They were dormant inside a plasma conduit manufactured on Thanatos VII, but became active on Enterprise after the crew installed the conduit. They survive by feeding on cellular peptides in living organisms. They were probably dormant in the bodies of the Essex crew, but could have become active if exposed to the Durant's warp plasma, and would have killed the Durant crew. The Captain's decision to transport the Essex crew back to their ship, and to destroy the Essex, probably saved the lives of all aboard the Durant. It is recommended that the Durant be quarantined briefly on arrival at Space Station Peedy Thor until ship and crew are checked with interphasic scanners to preclude the presence of any interphasic organisms. Durant's crew conducted a thorough survey of the ship to ensure that the unknown energy signature was gone, so Intelligence expects that interphasic scanner surveys will be negative also.
  • Analysis of the Essex logs did not show how the ship entered the interphasic rift, or what caused the crew's deaths, but Intelligence analysts generated a possible explanation. Daedalus-class starships like the Essex did not have automatic deflector shields. Their shields would have to be activated manually upon detection of a threat. If Essex had entered an area of negative energy, the effects on the ship would have been exactly as observed by Durant's away team. Normally, even on a ship as old as Essex, the warp core and other power systems would have been operational at some low level even after hundreds of years. Instead, power levels were zero everywhere on the ship, and all automatic log entries ended on the same date and time. And without the protection of shields, entering a negative energy field would have removed all energy (including heat energy) from a living human body, causing instant death. It is also possible that if the ship were maneuvering in a tight turn, and the structural integrity fields were suddenly turned off by the lack of power, that the stresses on the hull could have broken the ship into pieces. This is mostly supposition, but it is the best explanation of what happened.
  • Intelligence analysts were unable to explain the presence of Essex in the interphasic rift, since it was previously thought to have been destroyed on an unexplored M class moon orbiting Mab-Bu VI. The most likely explanation is that in 2167, when the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-D detected the Essex distress signal, that signal was coming not from the wreckage of the Essex but from a decoy transmitter. An electromagnetic storm was in effect at the time, and several Enterprise crew members had their bodies hijacked by incorporeal criminals soon afterward, so Enterprise did not visually identify the Essex wreckage or recover any remains.

Durant's away team was able to power up the Essex bridge consoles and retrieve a list of the crew on board at the time of their deaths. Durant's crew did some investigating to find the Essex crew's families, but this effort should be turned over to Starfleet, and Starfleet records need to be updated to reflect the final fate of the Essex ship and crew.

Service Jacket

UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

Personal log, Lieutenant Commander Hal Jordan, USS Taylorholic Durant. I have submitted the final Intelligence report about the Durant exiting the Khitomer wormhole and becoming trapped in the void with the USS Essex. Every word of it is true, because it would never occur to me (or any Starfleet officer, I hope) to record lies in an official report. But there is more to the story, things that couldn't be written down in a report made up of scientific truths. They are facts to me, because I was there and I experienced them. My feelings are hard to describe in a rational and scientific way, so hard that trying to explain them in a public record could be seen as aberrant behavior. But I can make a good try here in my personal log. On the off chance that something bad happens later as a result of Durant's wormhole mishap, this log entry might help someone connect the dots. I might as well start way back at the beginning.

When I was a very young child, my father sat me down and had a long talk with me. Something had happened (I don't remember what), and I told him that I was afraid. He told me about the Jordan family and their ability to overcome great fear. It had been passed down from father to son and mother to daughter in our genes over many years, to the point where we all knew that to be a Jordan meant to be fearless. Thinking back on it, I believe it probably had nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with mindset. Anyway, my father explained to me in great detail how to recognize fear and drive it away, that it was an irrational and primitive reaction that had no place in modern society, that it caused more problems than it solved, and so on. From that point on, I was a stereotypical Fearless Jordan. Until that day on the Durant bridge, that is.

It started when I analyzed that tissue sample of the dead Essex crewman down in Sickbay, and saw the energy signature inside it. The crewman was a 300 year old corpse with a spark of energy inside it, energy that was simultaneously inside the body and inside the tissue sample, energy that pulsated irregularly, not like a modulated signal, but ... like a heartbeat, or breathing. From the moment I saw it, I had a feeling inside that it was unnatural, not just odd or strange but WRONG, like it didn't belong in our reality at all. I wanted nothing to do with it, but I couldn't explain why, so I kept my mouth shut. Then we started to warm up the dead crewman's frozen body, and we saw that the energy was growing stronger. I wanted to do a dance of joy when we decided to refreeze that body. I felt like that would keep IT from getting loose again and doing ... what? I'm not sure. The feeling didn't explain to me what might have happened.

Later, I took a shift as Helmsman when we decided to beam the crew's bodies back to Essex. As soon as we put that plan into action, something changed on the Bridge. Captain Hode started sweating and stammering, I started shaking, and the other members of the bridge crew were showing signs of it too. I couldn't wait to drive the ship away from Essex. I was eager to get out of there, to the point of having my finger poised above the impulse drive control. I had to pull my hand back because I realized I might shake too much and activate the engines by accident. Then we all heard that unnatural little voice singing songs inside our heads, and I kept hearing that other voice, Evelyn Rieko in the briefing, saying "I don't want to be host."

At that moment I realized that for the first time since I was a young child, I was afraid.

My father had made me memorize a paragraph from an old novel, a litany against fear. I never forgot it. "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." I recalled it and repeated it in my mind, that day on the Bridge. And as my fear passed through me, I turned and looked at its path and realized that it was irrational and illogical, like all fears. The fear was gone and only I remained, just like the quote said.

But the question still remains, where did that fear come from? Everything was fine until we started beaming the bodies back. Then some THING got inside our minds and tried to frighten us into ... what? Keeping the bodies on board? It must not have known much about humans, especially Starfleet humans. Try to scare us and we will just push you away. And it should have been more subtle about it. The little voice that was singing to me included a feeling of slimy tentacles wrapping around my brain. It should have tried whispering doubts to me, telling me that the bodies needed more study, or that the energy could be useful. Instead, it blundered around throwing fear everywhere, so now it's in a billion expanding pieces trapped in a dark void where no one will ever go again. Good riddance.

Computer, classify this log entry as strictly private, access granted only to myself and the Commanding Officer.

Computer, end log entry.

Service Jacket

UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

Hal Jordan stumbles back into his quarters and falls onto the bed. His head is spinning, his face feels feverish, and his heart is speeding like the drums of Vaal. He tries to ask the computer about the whereabouts of Doctor Axel but the words come out slurred and meaningless, so much so that the computer does not even acknowledge that he spoke. He slaps at his commbadge and tries to call the bridge, but again the computer does not recognize his speech, so it does nothing. He tries to crawl off the bed to the door, but manages only to fall in a heap on the deck, unable to move. "Is this the end?" he thinks to himself, unable to speak now. He remembers stories about illnesses where the patient became "locked in," unable to move or speak and yet fully aware of his surroundings, with all brain functions still available. Certainly someone would come looking for him if he failed to show up for his next shift, sixteen hours from now. The computer would tell them "Lieutenant Commander Jordan is in his quarters," and he would be there for sure, but whether he would be breathing still was another matter entirely. As of right now, he is breathing and conscious, and he can still see and hear.

He tries to slow his breathing and think rationally. What could have caused this? He remembers old detective stories where death was caused by a dose of curare, supposedly undetectable, and administered by various ingenious methods to make the story interesting. The victim would succumb to death by asphyxiation. Any description of the victim's struggles would involve lurid paragraphs containing as much fear as the author could imagine. But he isn't in an old detective novel, and curare wasn't the cause of his current condition. He thinks about what might have happened to cause this type of paralysis. It hadn't taken hold of him until he stepped through the door to his quarters. Could it be some device just inside the door? He is able to turn his eyes in that direction, but everything looks the same as when he left before his duty shift. Was it possibly some object that he brushed up against on his way from the bridge to his quarters? He retraces his steps mentally, but as always he doesn't touch any bulkheads along the way, to prevent adding smudges to the paint. Maybe it was a shipmate who touched him casually in the few minutes before he arrived at his quarters. He remembers being in the turbolift with Ensign Jarvis, but they hadn't come into contact. He would have remembered that. And yet there was something about Jarvis. He thinks back, and now he has it. That perfume! She was wearing a fragrance he hadn't smelled before, so sweet and wonderful. It triggered a memory in him, something far back in time, maybe from his childhood. He falls back into his memories, searching for that memorable scent that is hovering just beyond reach. Tumbling down the chasm of his memories, he sees the walls flash by faster and faster, becoming almost kaleidoscopic with colors. He has now lost control of the present. Is this death?

Service Jacket

UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

Lieutenant Commander Hal Jordan awakes to the soothing tones of the computer's alarm function. He sits up in bed and rubs his eyes, trying to remember last night's dream, which is fading fast from his consciousness. The only thing that remains is the image of Ensign Jarvis in the turbolift and her heavenly perfume. He makes a mental note to look her up tonight after his shift.

Service Jacket

UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

Lieutenant Commander Hal Jordan enters his quarters, unfastens his uniform shirt, and hangs it carefully on the back of a chair. He enters the bedroom and sits carefully on the edge of the bed, closing his eyes to more clearly see the day's events that continue to play on a loop in his mind. The ceremony had started beautifully, with both Precia Araina and Captain Hode declaring their undying love for each other. He had stood facing the Precia's advisor, Leoni, and he remembered the moment when everything started to go wrong. Her eyes had changed, going from half closed to fully open as she gasped with alarm at the sudden realization that a marriage was in progress. She had demanded a halt to the ceremony, and when that didn't happen, she drew a concealed hand weapon. He had stepped between her and Captain Hode to protect the Captain.

Jordan always fell back on his training at times like these. When unarmed (like all three members of the away team were), sometimes an officer can use a "command voice" to startle an unprepared opponent. She might have dropped the weapon when he tried that, but she didn't. Instead, she had started flailing her arms around, making an angry speech with tears in her eyes. Jordan recalled from training that it takes a normal human about 35 milliseconds to switch between talking and pulling a trigger, and was mentally reviewing the procedure for disarming a distracted assailant. He was waiting for exactly the right moment for her to be distracted by something else.

That moment came when a squad of Cronon guards burst into the room, slamming the door against the wall. Leoni displayed a startled reaction and turned momentarily toward the door. Jordan tensed the muscles in both legs and took a deep breath, preparing to leap. But he was too late. Prebo Osral, quick as a cat and just as silent, had already started his run. The Prebo passed in front of Jordan, his arms outstretched and shouting a challenge. Leoni jerked her gaze back and fired instinctively, the bolt impacting the Prebo in midair as he passed between Leoni and Jordan. Leoni dropped the weapon and stepped back, a look of horror on her face, as the guards took her into custody. All four Durant officers grabbed the injured Prebo Osral, running outside the building where they could be beamed directly to sickbay. Durant's medical team swung into action, and initial reports looked promising. There was nothing more that the away team could do there, so they decided to get together for a quick debriefing while events were still fresh in their minds.

Weapons had been forbidden on the mission, but Jordan had carried an Intelligence officer's toy - a miniaturized communicator in the form of a large, simple finger ring. The communicator transmitted at all times, and the "stone," when pressed, actuated an emergency beamout signal. The device also contained a simple tricorder, and he had downloaded the video from it so the team could watch it while they debriefed. Their initial decision was that Leoni had been impaired due to her close contact with the force field during their earlier visit. That was apparent due to her slow movements and half-closed eyes throughout the first part of the ceremony. She may have been simply trying to protect her Queen in the best way she knew how, through the fog of her brain injury. The away team suggested to Captain Hode that a medical technician with a psycho-tricorder could establish Leoni's motive and possible innocence due to impaired mental function.

Jordan reached out a hand to brush his hair back into place, and when he brought the hand back down, it was trembling. He stretched both hands out in front of him and saw that he had the shakes, and the condition was getting worse. He lay back on the bed and closed his eyes, remembering the Vulcan breathing techniques that his lovely wife Varda had taught him. Looking into the self-imposed darkness, he asked himself "Why am I emotional about today's mission?" A few seconds later, he had the answer. When he had stepped between Leoni and Captain Hode, his eyes were fixed on her weapon. It looked old fashioned and inefficient, a primitive energy weapon right out of Earth's distant past. The muzzle aperture looked like a gaping cavern at close range, and he had wondered what it would look like when it was fired. He never found out, because the Prebo had blocked his view of the discharge. Events had gone by too fast for careful consideration at the time, but when the team had reviewed the video, he had been infected by a subconscious creeping horror. Now he brought the horror out of the shadows and shined the bright light of his full attention on it.

The weapon had fired some kind of plasma bolt. The discharge made a loud, sharp cracking sound. When the bolt hit the Prebo, his body absorbed it with a low pitched sound like a fist hitting someone's face. And as the bolt dissipated inside him, there was the distinctive sound of a red hot sword being quenched in water. The horror intensified as the overwhelming smell of burning flesh filled the room. "That should have been me," he thought. "Bang, thud, hiss, no more Hal Jordan. She wanted to kill me, some anonymous spacemen she didn't even know, and instead she almost killed one of the most respected men on the planet. I should be the one in sickbay right now, not him."

He sat up on the bed, eyes still closed, concentrating on his feelings. A well known and often remembered quote came to mind, a statement from ancient fictional Earth literature. "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." He remembered another fictional character, an enforcer with the ability to overcome great fear and triumph over evil. And just like that, his fear was washed away and his mind returned to laser-sharp clarity. He stood up and moved to the replicator.

"Computer, nachos and cheese, extra spicy."[.color]

Service Jacket

UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

United Federation Starfleet
USS Durant
Stardate: 220409
Report submitted by: Captain Hal Jordan, Executive Officer
Subject: Duty Log, Away Team Mission Report

On Stardate 220409, Durant ship's crew beamed down to planet Everflow in the Pirandia Sector. The purpose of the visit was shore leave. There has not been a death or serious injury to a guest on this well known resort planet for more than thirty years, but as Executive Officer I was taking no chances. The flora and fauna on Everflow had been described as benign, but the same could not be guaranteed of every visitor. I brought a tricorder with me to keep track of the crew members, and a combadge to call Durant for help if necessary.

The crew participated in various recreational activities on the planet, mostly unsupervised. The planet's tourism brochures guarantee that all guests are monitored and immediately beamed to a medical facility at the first sign of physical or mental trauma. Despite these safety measures and guarantees, additional monitoring would help to ensure the crew's safety.

I did not imbibe any mind-altering substances during the mission, preferring to stay clear headed. The single exception was the presence of euphoria gas in the caves where we explored. Even though I was affected along with the rest of the crew, we were all within eyesight of each other and no other guests were present, so the risk was minimal.

From my experience during the mission, I believe that planet Everflow has earned its reputation as a safe and entertaining shore leave venue. I also believe that the Federation should continue its funding of maintenance and cultural activities on Everflow due to its immense benefits to Starfleet crews.

Service Jacket

UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

XO's personal log, Captain Hal Jordan.

Having returned from Everflow with the same number of healthy Durant crew members as we arrived with, I felt like I could relax in my quarters. There's no doubt in my mind about what made me feel so protective toward the crew. It was the Irzed planet. In the previous mission, we had returned to Planet Ogred to drop off the young Irzeds that had been implanted within three of us as eggs. The mission ended in heartbreak, as Evelyn's little one, named Erica, ran after her mother, screaming for her to come back. The away team beamed up to Durant without looking back. Heartless, possibly, but ultimately the best solution.

Durant's first away team mission to Planet Ogred had ended in tragedy, with the loss of Ensign Kragh'ehlo Mrago. The young Klingon warrior had just begun his Starfleet career when he was killed by the venom of a large insectoid creature called a Phikeek. Even worse than losing him was the fact that he had died almost instantly after being stung. We had returned to Qo'noS and lied, telling his family rousing stories about how he had battled valiantly to the end, saving the lives of several crew members before being dragged down by the sheer numbers of the enemy. That lie still tastes bad after coming out of my mouth, and part of me wonders whether Kragh'ehlo's soul lies entirely at peace because of it.

The idea of an honorable death turns my mind back to three years ago, when Durant responded to a space station's automated distress call on 190505. On the lowest level of the station, we found the body of the caretaker, who had been alone on the station with the computer that controlled it and the plants and animals that lived there, including some very large hostile life forms that had apparently escaped from their cages and attacked the caretaker. I retrieve the conversation transcript and look it over.

"It looks like this guy may have been shooting at some of those creatures. I would like to think that as he lay mortally wounded, he turned his weapon power up to maximum and blasted holes in the walls to make sure his killers died too. That's probably why we saw all the debris and organic body parts around the lower level of the station."

For a long time I have considered the amount of courage that it would take to save the priceless plant and animal species on that station by killing your attackers while knowing for sure that you would die too. I wish that Kragh'ehlo had been able to die happily in that way.

Computer, display stored image of the space station caretaker's body, replicate me a flagon of Klingon blood wine, and end log entry.

Service Jacket

UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

Commanding Officer's personal log, Captain Hal Jordan.

I have just awakened from a somewhat disturbing dream. As usual, I will record what I can remember before it fades from memory.

The dream started on the day I reported aboard Durant, a fresh-faced Lieutenant JG, eager to get started and happy to be aboard what I knew as the finest ship in Starfleet. The following scenes were a blur of activity spanning several years. Promotions, log entries, Away Team missions, battles, brilliant successes, agonizing defeats, love, heartache, new friends arriving, and old friends departing.

For a moment, the dream slowed, and I was standing next to a podium, facing the former Durant Commanding Officer and pledging to serve and protect and defend and all of the other promises always made during a ship's change of command ceremony. I was being sworn in as Durant's new CO. But the face in front of me was indistinct, its features constantly shifting and blurring. The former CO's voice was an unrecognizable series of formless vocalizations, like a communicator conversation heard through heavy interference. And then the scene was gone.

I stood on Durant's Bridge. The ship was at warp, traveling smoothly through space. The Bridge crew was quiet, there were no alarms from any of the consoles, and everything was peaceful. I smiled, knowing that my ship and crew were safe. I turned at the sound of an arriving turbolift car to see who had come to visit me.

The turbolift doors opened, not with a muted whoosh of air, but with a jarring screech of metal on metal. Sparks and smoke came from the door tracks as something charged out of the turbolift, coming directly toward me. It was wearing a Starfleet uniform, and I realized with shock that it was the entity that had been standing across from me at the change of command ceremony. It stopped when it was a meter away from me, its face still shifting and blurring, and a dark maw opened in its lower half.

"IMPOSTER! FRAUD! DECEIVER!"
"You are not Durant's Captain!"
"GIVE ME BACK MY SHIP!!!"

I took a step back, not out of fear, but because the voice was so loud. It had the same metallic screeching as the turbolift doors, and was loud enough to hurt my ears. As I recovered and took a step forward to get a closer look at the face, the entity disappeared without a sound.

I turned, shaken, and tried to calm myself while planning a statement to the Bridge crew. But they were not staring at me in shock. They sat at their consoles as before, quietly and competently navigating the big starship through the void. Did I really see what I saw? Was I under mind control? Was I really Durant's Captain?

Suddenly I was outside the ship. Durant was moving away from me, and as I watched, her nacelles flared bright blue and she went into warp. I tried to shout after her to come back, but of course, when you're in space without a spacesuit no one can hear you scream. My mouth still open in that soundless scream, I strained helplessly to draw in a final breath...

...and sat straight up in bed, my heart pounding. The dim lights revealed the familiar sight of the Captain's quarters, my quarters, where I belong. I'm the Captain. I worked hard for this position, and I deserve to have it.

Don't I?

Computer, end log entry.

Service Jacket

UFS Blog Coordinator
UFS DJ

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant Mess Hall”