TDRP2307: "Hostility" (230218)

The USS Taylorholic Durant, referred to as the USS Durant, is named for the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant in honor of her contributions to UFS and for exemplifying what an excellent officer should be. We are honored to bear her name. The Durant is a Luna Class Science Vessel, assigned to explore and chart the unexplored areas of the Delta Quadrant. We are also on diplomatic assignments, as we are usually the first contact for many planets with warp technology. Our Science vessel converts into an impressive combat vessel when warranted.

We use Post Order/Para Roleplay (ParaRP), which means before our Roleplay begins the game master will list each roleplayer's name in the order they will make their posts. This guarantees each person adds to the creation of our fascinating stories. Para RP means our posts are paragraphs that can be short or long, emoting our thoughts and feelings along with dialog. We feel Para RP adds more depth to our stories. If you would like to try Para RP request a ridealong with us! We will be happy to teach you.

Roleplay Times: Saturdays 9:00am SLT
Commanding Officer: Evelyn Rieko
Executive Officer: Greenlantern Excelsior

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: 001 Second Life Grid

===OOC======
Sat February 18, 2023
OOC Preparation
MISSION TDRP2307
==============

STARDATE: 230218
ARRIVAL TIME: 8:45am SLT
CREW START TIME: 9:00am SLT
LOCATION TO MEET: Macreen Colony
RP STARTS: Macreen Colony

WHAT TO WEAR:
Eva Suits
Durant Chat Relay
Phasers
Tricorders
Medical Tricorder (Medical Officers)

MISSION LEAD/GM:
Commodore Evelyn Rieko

POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).

ARRIVING LATE? Ensure to enter the scene in a logical manner.
NEED TO LEAVE EARLY? Justify your exit.

PROPER ADDRESS:
Our XO is addressed as Captain Jordan or Fleet Captain, XO or First Officer. Our CO is addressed as Commodore Rieko, Commodore, or Captain Rieko. Please don't use "Captain" without a surname as we won't know who you are addressing ;)

SITREP:
We have arrived at the Planet Macreen in the Midgar Sector. We are late but we are here. The Durant received orders from Starfleet to deliver supplies to the colonists, to make any repairs that are needed, and the doctors would give physical examinations and medical care to any of the colonists. On our way to the planet, we received communications from Macreen telling us of a serious illness that had started to spread among the colonists, and the two doctors in the colony were among the first to perish. Our Dr. Ragnarsson informed us it is a new deadly strain of Andronesian encephalitis devasting the colony.

We beamed down to the planet and received a hostile welcome from 3 of the 4 Colony Leaders. They are angry because the Durant was late arriving and many of the colonists died waiting for medical assistance. We explained that we were trapped inside a forcefield box, and it was difficult to escape from it, but we did and helped a ship that was enclosed in the forcefield also. We told them that as soon as we were free, we used high warp speed to get to them as soon as we could.

I along with Fleet Captain Jordan apologized and explained why we were late, and I gave our condolences, but it did not lessen the hostility, instead it seemed to add to it. One Councilman stating we knew we had a medical emergency at Macreen, and yet we stopped to help someone else before coming there. He said many people died between the time they made the call and the time of our arrival. The other two Council Leaders made similar comments with hostile attitudes, and it is understandable. What happened was tragic but unavoidable.

We are staring to work on the colony's Communications system and the few areas of technical equipment that need repairing. Most importantly we will do everything we can to save the remaining colonists.

You should have read:

TDRP2306: "Sorry we're late"

viewtopic.php?f=885&t=34379

TDRP2305: "Back on Course"
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=34354

Delta Quadrant Sector Map

https://lcars.ufstarfleet.org/index.php ... Sector_Map

=OOC================================
SIM Concept: Evelyn Rieko and Hal Jordan
Historian: Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)
====================================
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Evelyn Rieko (Commodore), CO
Cheryl Skinstad (Rear Admiral), Science Officer
Mac Gaelyth, (Ensign), Operations Officer
Sagor Bunig, Colonist ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Evan Bravebird, Colonist ((Evelyn Rieko))
Sandra Lacrima (Lieutenant), Security
Hal Jordan (Fleet Captain), XO ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Ace Watts (Ensign), Operations Officer ((ktech4))
Ginrai Yamabushi (Lieutenant Commander), Engineering

Left to right: Yamabushi, Skinstad, Bravebird, Bunig, Rieko, Jordan, Lacrima, Gaelyth

Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Evelyn Rieko listened as the Marish Parish Leader made snide remarks about the failure of the Durant to fulfill our obligation to arrive on time to help the colony. She said to him and the other leader Sagor, "I understand your anger and frustration with us but I hope you can understand in time that what happened, our being late was because of circumstances beyond our control. We were in a trap and we escaped as soon as we could." She shook her head looking at Sagor, "Are you saying that you do not value any other lives except the ones in this colony? Because we value all life and we could not just fly out of that trap leaving that other ship's crew to die. They deserve to live just as your colonies do. I regret what happened immensely but that crew's lives are as valuable as yours." She looked to her team and back at the colony leaders who had invited them inside the building. "Yes we will enter with you now."

Cheryl Skinstad listens to her CO speaking to the colonists and is pleased that she is standing up to them and explaining our Starfleet principles. She prepares herself to enter the building with the crew. She is sensing something really hostile towards the crew from someone. Maybe nobody specifically. She is unsure at present.

Mac Gaelyth checked his tricorder settings. "I'm not getting any readings from communications systems; at least nothing on subspace bands. Ensign Watts, could you please check the lower-band radio frequencies, they might have something in the megahertz range." he advised as he followed towards the hallway.

Sagor Bunig listened to the Starfleet group's leader and instantly regretted what he had said. "Of course you're right, every life has value. I apologize for what I said earlier, and I know you couldn't abandon people to a certain death in space. It's just that the deaths here were people we knew, and the ones you saved were strangers to us. Starfleet told us that a ship was nearby and we assumed that the first ship to arrive would be the one they were talking about. Thank you for coming, and I hope you can help us. It would be more acceptable for the colonists in my Parish if you could use the least amount of technology possible to effect the cure. Preferably the analysis would be performed on board your ship and not here. Also, the "small scavenger creatures'' that I was talking about are named Zorphax, but everyone here calls them Skitters because they move so fast."

Evan Bravebird listened to Commodore Rieko telling them that the Durant did what it had to do, that they value all lives and do not regret taking time to help that other ship. He nodded as she spoke, but there was still hostility in his eyes, "Yes all life is precious, I understand what you are saying, but that in no way means it is ok that you let our people die." He looked to Sagor and he nodded yes, showing agreement with him. He inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly, "Yes all life is valuable, Commodore, but I believe you would be lying if you said there are not some lives you value more than others, Your parents? Spouse? Children? Yes we all care more for the ones we love. So, while I can sympathize with your situation and the crew that you rescued. MY PEOPLE mean more to me! And MY WIFE! MY CHILD! GONE!" He inhaled and exhaled again, gaining control of his emotions. “That is the way I feel, but we must move past what happened and help those that are still alive and need your help now. Let's enter."

Sandra Lacrima listened to the accusations of the colonists and her CO and XO trying to explain and apologize. Normally she would not keep her thoughts to herself, but this time she sensed it would be better to keep her mouth shut, so she just listened. She was one of the first to enter the building following the colonists as they requested of the Away team to follow them. She checked out the structure of the building that reminded her of an old castle from the inside: high rooms, large gates, carved stone walls. While looking up at the ceiling she didn't notice one of the critters crossing her path, but she felt a crunch under her right boot.

Hal Jordan looked at the colonists as they spoke. Out of the corner of his eye, at the edge of his helmet's visor, he thought he saw a quick movement. He jerked his head to the right and saw something disappear around the far corner of a nearby support column. The motion reminded him of the quick little lizards back on Earth in Arizona. "I may have just seen one of your skitters there," he said to Sagor Bunig, pointing toward the column. "It was pretty fast! This building has cracks and openings around the doors and windows, so the insects and small animals would be able to get in anywhere. But you know, it's rare for an alien planet's diseases to be able to infect colonists from Earth. Rigellian fever and Symbalene blood burn are the only two that come to mind as far as I remember. So I'm wondering if your skitters are causing some kind of allergic reaction in the colonists."

Ace Watts was quiet through the matter, not wanting to say anything, as he wanted to listen to what the Captain had to say.

Ginrai Yamabushi listened to the CO and the colonists, and suddenly felt the tension wash over him. He took a deep breath, as the CO's reasoning was sound. He felt it easier to breathe when the colonist relented, but then he felt a tear down his face as he felt the sorrow from the other colonist. He prepared himself to enter and prepared for anything he needed to help with..

Evey Riley had followed the leader wondering what she would find. Lieutenant Lacrima was "babysitting." She smiled, yes she had heard that and had to fight hard to keep a neutral face. She didn't want the leaders, firstly that Marish Colonist Leader Evan to be more upset if she smiled thinking of being baby sat. She felt compassion for him for losing his wife and child.

Rieko looked at Evan with compassion in her eyes, "I understand how you feel Councilman Bravebird and again our apologies and condolences. I am so sorry you lost your wife and child to this disease, but we will help you and the remaining colonists. Maybe one day you will be able to forgive us, I hope so. Now we are here; let's get to work helping. Show us to your hospital." She looked to Ginrai and Mac. "It seems Communications are completely gone. The Councilmen will show you to the equipment." She entered and saw a movement across the floor. "Those are the skitters! Are they poisonous!?!"

Skinstad takes out her tricorder and performs a quick bio scan of the vicinity. She is concerned and she shakes her head. Then she follows her CO and crew into the hospital. She hears comments from the Commodore. She turns to her and in a hushed voice she whispers, “Commodore, I cannot say for sure where this apprehension is coming from exactly, but I am sensing a malevolence. Someone wants to do one or all of us harm.” The very feeling hits a pit in her stomach. This crew is so special, almost like her family. She cares deeply for all of them.

Gaelyth: "Explains why we can't detect any signal down here." he commented as he followed, into the hospital, noticing the sheets over corpses, and paused a little. "Ace," he said, lowering his voice as he stopped beside the other Ensign. "If you've not seen this kind of thing before, there's nothing wrong about stepping outside to catch a breath. Let me know if you need to step outside to process, alright?" he advised, glancing at the others.

Bunig entered the hospital with Evan and the Starfleet crew. His heart sank to his shoes as he saw the room again. "I have not been here since the last few people from my Parish died. The medical staff did all they could, but they weren't doctors so they didn't have all the knowledge to save everyone. Most of my people died from this, and the ones who didn't will never be the same again. In some ways it's harder for the survivors, having seen all the suffering and pain."

Bravebird can see the regret and compassion in the Commodore's eyes, and looks away briefly and then back into her eyes. "I can see that you do care... that you do regret our losses... I feel... that means something. You do care." He shook his head again and looked around at the Officers, "This way to our Medical Room." He listened as Sagor spoke of their tragedy. "Yes, many from my Parish have died as well. Some of the dead are in here, until we remove them for cremation. We have many sick patients that the doctors can hopefully cure. Some at their homes and we will have them brought here." He looked at the female Starfleet doctor, "I hope you can save us. I have notes from our doctors that died from this disease before they could do much to help us. I will supply you with those notes." He looked as one of the other officers got close to the Commodore and whispered something.

Lacrima stopped dead in her tracks, looked down and lifted her foot up and saw the squished remains of what must be one of the scavenger creatures the colonists just talked of. "Of course.. I have a talent for that!“ she mumbled to herself and tried to clean the Skitter-slush off her boot by sliding it back and forth on the floor. As she looked around she saw several of the Skitters in the building and said into the room "Wow... looks like you need some pest control in here.“ She followed the others to the room where patients were treated and addressed the medical officers. "Doctors… I suggest decontaminating the assigned area before setting up the medical treatment zone. And no matter if these Skitters are carriers or not, they should be kept out of this area too. I haven't seen one in here yet, but you never know…“

Jordan followed the colony leaders into the hospital room. Four biobeds were set up, and two were occupied with people who looked to be near death. Four gurneys stood on the other side of the room, with sheets covering (presumably) dead bodies. Maybe there weren't enough colonists left to bury or cremate their dead, a morbid thought. He saw the quick movement again as something ran under one of the biobeds. "I just saw another one of those creatures, looks more like an Earth spider than anything else. Maybe we could catch one and analyze it. Possibly we could use a phaser on stun set to wide beam. The one I saw ran under that biobed right there, maybe up inside the base that supports the bed."

cont'd

Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

Watts followed the leaders into the hospital room, waiting for anything to go down, hopefully we can get out of here unscathed. He turned to Ensign Gaelyth. "No I am fine, Ensign, I am fine."

Yamabushi replies to the CO, "Aye, Commodore." He looks over at Crewman Davies who follows alongside. He looks around at the bodies and also the doctors rushing around to their patients. He looks back as he hears Crewman Davies scream, "Dahh!" as one of those skitters ran across his boot. "Dawgone thangs..." he said with a Southern drawl. Ginrai motioned for Davies to come in as he looked around their Medical room. Ginrai and Davies looked with shock as they saw the bodies of the dead, along with those still suffering.

Riley excused herself for a minute and stepped aside just to see something moving in the corner of the room. It disappeared very fast. Is this creature what they were talking about? She needed a cup of coffee, at least water! She read notes left by one of the colony doctors that was attached to one of the biobeds. "Hmm, the tissues of the brain were showing big damage. They could try a therapy with neuro-regeneration, but they had to find patient zero or how it had started. If she was right, then the incubation period was from 1 to 2 weeks, so they wouldn't have gotten here in time to save all. She shook her head, "We need to scan one of those creatures, but to do that we need to catch one alive first and they are fast.”

Rieko entered the hospital room looking around, and listening to Sagor and Evan. She looked at the away team and noticed Mac was helping Ace, seeming to take Ace under his wing. She nodded, she liked seeing the teamwork attitude in her crew. Cheryl came to her and whispered about the feelings she was picking up with her Betazoid senses. Cheryl said she sensed hostility toward the away team and someone wanting to harm them. "Thanks Cheryl, relay that info to Lieutenant Lacrima so that her team can be aware and alert to any possible attacks on us." She turned to Sandra, "Lieutenant Lacrima, maybe you and your team could catch one of these skitters for the doctor." She turned to Sagor and glanced at Evan. "You can show us to your Comms equipment now.."

Skinstad senses a faint pain then nothing, and realises that it was the skitter reaching its end of being under Sandra’s boot. She is sad for a moment. Poor creature! Poor Sandra with a load of squashed giblets under her foot! She then senses far worse emotions. It is the languishing and suffering within the makeshift hall. The inhabitants who are ill and dying. She is overcome by their fear, worry, regrets of what might have been if things had turned out differently. She turns to the crew. “There is a lot of pain and suffering that I am sensing here. They are so fearful. We must try and do our utmost to assist them, despite our differences.” She nods at her CO and then turns to Sandra. “Lieutenant Lacrima, can we talk for a moment please?” She moves away, out of earshot of any inhabitants and discusses her issue of malevolent feelings with Sandra.

Gaelyth nodded, and looked around, watching the skitters. "If they are a problem pest, the quickest and most humane method would probably be to use ultrasonics. If we got the comms system up and running, we could probably rig it to send out an ultrasonic signal to drive them out." he suggested. "Hell, if there are nests in the area, they might be driven there first, might make life easier when it comes to catching a subject for analysis." (end)

Bunig saw that the Starfleet folks were starting to notice the skitters. "The skitters get into pretty much everything in the colony. We have to keep our food inside airtight containers because they can get inside cabinets and drawers. They seem to particularly like our tomatoes, but no one knows exactly why. Someone speculated that it had something to do with the tomato's acid content, but I don't know the scientific details. We discovered early on that skitters will take a bite out of everything they encounter to see if they like it. So our food has all these little skitter nips all over it, and our tomatoes are mostly gone if we don't pick them when they're green. I'm not sure if that information will be helpful or not."

Bravebird nodded as Sagor spoke of the critters, and added, "Yes we have to get rid of those skitters, if you can help with that also we would be grateful. They get into everything and seem to be constantly hungry." He listened as one of the Officers, Mac, the one that reminded him of one of his cousins with his stance and huge muscles. The look of a warrior, Evan thought. Evan looked to Mac and said, "Yes that idea is good, to use ultrasonic sound waves to run the skitters away and keep them away. I have to admit that is a good idea and humane, but I hate using technology to solve our problems. Maybe we can find a compound of chemicals to sprinkle around the colony to keep them away and run them off. Something that repels them." As he spoke to Mac he noticed again the Admiral and the Commodore whispering and then Admiral Skinstad had gone over to the Security Officer to whisper more. He wondered what that was about. Were they planning something? What could it be? To Mac he said, "Excuse me, Officer," and he approached Cheryl and Sandra. "Admiral, is something wrong here? Is there anything I can help you with, or do you have questions? I am happy to answer anything you ask."

Not having ended her sentence, Lacrima noticed a Skitter crawling under the base of one of the biobeds. She added "No, inside here as well… we should definitely create a sterile treatment zone, Sirs!“ She looked around the room, somehow she had not noticed the depressing situation in this hospital or, as she thought was the more fitting term, hospice. Though the sight of suffering people and corpses obviously was disturbing for some crew members, she was one of the officers who could turn off empathy or compassion and stay focused on their duty. She received her CO's order and confirmed "Yes Sir, we will get the doctors some living specimens… if a dead one will do, I just… ah, no.. forget about that.. we'll get a living one.“ She was just about to go on Skitter-Hunt with Ensign Mudden, when she was approached by Admiral Skinstad who wanted to have a talk with her. She sent Ensign Mudden on to catch a Skitter. "Eric, you're honored to catch one yourself… maybe talk with Ensign Gaelyth, his idea sounds interesting,“ she told Ensign Mudden before she replied to the Admiral who walked her out of earshot of the colonists. "Yes Sir, sure, what can I do for you?“

Jordan looked around the room and then at Evan and Sagor. "That's interesting about the skitters biting everything. Maybe that could be helpful. I noticed that you colony leaders all seem to wear the same type of high boots, with pants tucked into them. Could it be that the skitters are unable to bite your feet because they can't bite through the boots? Do you have a feeling for whether the affected colonists wore a different type of footwear than the unaffected colonists? I apologize if this sounds like a simple answer to a devastating problem. I'm just trying to stimulate discussion." His natural curiosity almost drove him to lift the sheets on the gurneys to see if the deceased colonists had inflamed feet. He suppressed the urge and stood quietly, looking for more skitters.

Watts tried to scan for any frequencies to see if anything was harmful, taking the suggestion Gaelyth gave to him.

Yamabushi checks his suit and his toolcase to make sure the suit is sealed, he thought about the time with the phikeeks on the irzed planet, and all he could think about was bringing something aboard the ship. "Davies," he said, "Make sure your tool case is closed, unless you need a tool, do not leave it open." Davies replied with a nod, as he heard about the skitters from the colonists. Ginrai watches as Davies tapped his fingers across his suit, then checked his tool case. Davies replies to Ginrai, "Hey Chief, everything is as right as rain." Ginrai nods as he looks at the medical bed near him, noticing that the systems are off. He tapped the panel, noticing that there was no response. He responds "Hmmm..." as he scrunches his face.

Riley had walked to a lab table and ran several tests and scans, analysing the tissues and blood samples, considering the symptoms of the sick survivors. She believed they would need antiviral medication and antibiotics. The 2 colony leaders had not looked at them in a friendly way or polite way when they had arrived but seemed to be warming up to them. She walked to Evelyn, "Commodore, the mutation is showing symptoms of other illnesses. I believe the disease was originally transmitted by air. I need one of those creatures to do more research."

Rieko listened to Sandra and Evey, "Yes Dr. Riley do as Lieutenant Lacrima suggests and create a sterile treatment zone." She turns to Sagor and Evan. You can show us to your equipment now so that our engineers and Ops officers can take a look and start those repairs." She looks to Evan, "Councilman Bravebird," she said in her most charming voice, "the ultrasonic waves would be the cleanest and easiest way to rid your colony of the skitters. Have a talk with Ensign Gaelyth about the ultrasonic waves. It's the best and most effective way to get rid of these skitters, you want to be rid of them effectively, don't you?" She heard a crunch under her boot as she walked toward the door.

Skinstad turns to Evan and smiles. “I was just discussing the skitter problem with the head of Security. I would not wish any of them to nibble our equipment and meet an untimely end. We also do not want to bring any back on board our ship inadvertently. On one of our Space Stations, Deep Space 9, they suffered an infestation of voles in formerly uninhabited sections of the station. We have also had our own issues in the past.” She rolls her eyes at Sandra and decides to message Sandra about her malevolence senses issues instead.

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Evelyn Rieko (Commodore), CO

Cheryl Skinstad (Rear Admiral), Science Officer

Mac Gaelyth, (Ensign), Operations Officer

Sagor Bunig, Colonist ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Evan Bravebird, Colonist ((Evelyn Rieko))

Sandra Lacrima (Lieutenant), Security

Hal Jordan (Fleet Captain), XO ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Ace Watts (Ensign), Operations Officer ((ktech4))

Ginrai Yamabushi (Lieutenant Commander), Engineering

Inside the colony's hospital

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”