TDRP2305: "Back on Course" (230204)

The USS Taylorholic Durant, referred to as the USS Durant, is named for the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant in honor of her contributions to UFS and for exemplifying what an excellent officer should be. We are honored to bear her name. The Durant is a Luna Class Science Vessel, assigned to explore and chart the unexplored areas of the Delta Quadrant. We are also on diplomatic assignments, as we are usually the first contact for many planets with warp technology. Our Science vessel converts into an impressive combat vessel when warranted.

We use Post Order/Para Roleplay (ParaRP), which means before our Roleplay begins the game master will list each roleplayer's name in the order they will make their posts. This guarantees each person adds to the creation of our fascinating stories. Para RP means our posts are paragraphs that can be short or long, emoting our thoughts and feelings along with dialog. We feel Para RP adds more depth to our stories. If you would like to try Para RP request a ridealong with us! We will be happy to teach you.

Roleplay Times: Saturdays 9:00am SLT
Commanding Officer: Evelyn Rieko
Executive Officer: Greenlantern Excelsior

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: 001 Second Life Grid

===OOC======
Sat February 4, 2023
OOC Preparation
MISSION TDRP2305
==============

STARDATE: 230204
ARRIVAL TIME:8:45am SLT
CREW START TIME: 9:00am SLT
LOCATION TO MEET: Durant Bridge
RP STARTS: Durant Bridge

WHAT TO WEAR:

UFS Duty Uniform
Durant Chat Relay
Phasers
Tricorders
Medical Tricorder (Medical Officers)

MISSION LEAD/GM: Commodore Evelyn Rieko

POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).

ARRIVING LATE? Ensure to enter the scene in a logical manner.
NEED TO LEAVE EARLY? Justify your exit.

PROPER ADDRESS
: Our XO is addressed as Captain Jordan or Fleet Captain, XO or First Officer. Our CO is addressed as Commodore Rieko, Commodore, or Captain Rieko. Please don't use "Captain" without a surname as we won't know who you are addressing ;)

SITREP:

Captain's Log Stardate -299908.445 (230203)
We have said goodbye to the Pakleds. And good riddance. The away team spent precious time working with them. The team suppressed a fire in the Pakled's engineering department, repaired the ship's systems, integrated the different systems from different planets and deducted a few. There was engineering equipment from the Vulcans, Irzeds, Andorians, Romulans, Starfleet and others.

The engineers gave the Pakleds instructions on how the systems worked, and our helm officer gave them a crash course on flying their ship. Our help was met with treachery. The Pakleds tried to kidnap the two engineers we sent to their ship to repair it, our chief engineer Lt. Cmdr. Ginrai Yamabushi, and Ensign Vaktari Tal. They also tried to keep other members of the away team as well. The away team disabled their cloaking device, retrieved information about the unidentifiable phaser system and other data from the Pakled ship's computer.

The Durant Away Team foiled the Pakleds attempt to steal our officers. However, that did not stop them from trying to persuade our chief engineer Lt. Cmdr. Ginrai Yamabushi to stay with them, trying to bribe him with gifts and when that did not work, they begged, but of course he declined their offer and returned to the Durant with the rest of the away team.

The only officers that remained on the Pakled ship were our Helm Officer Ensign Mac Gaelyth, staying to fly the Pakled ship out of the forcefield enclosure, and the Security Unit, comprised of Lt. Sandra Lacrima, Cmdr. Elsa Mitchell, and Ensigns Mudden and Kragh'To, there to make sure Mac returned safely to the Durant and to prevent any farther schemes by the Pakleds.

Lt. Cmdr. Selina Otsuka was medically cleared for duty on the bridge and flew the Durant out of the forcefield box using the coordinates supplied by Rear Admiral Cheryl Skinstad. Rear Admiral Skinstad had found the area in the forcefield that was weakest and the Durant weakened it farther with phaser fire and was able to fly out with Ensign Gaelyth following flying the Pakled ship.

Once we were out of the forcefield box, we transported the Durant Officers from the Pakleds ship onto the Durant and set our coordinates to reach the planet Macreen in the Midgar sector. We are finally back on course to Macreen. We have lost all communication with Macreen, their comms system is one of the things we are going there to repair, and we do not know what we will find when we get there.

End log

Delta Quadrant Sector Map
https://lcars.ufstarfleet.org/index.php ... Sector_Map

=OOC================================
SIM Concept: Evelyn Rieko and Hal Jordan
Historian: Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)
====================================
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Evelyn Rieko (Commodore), CO
Ace Watts (Ensign), Operations Officer ((ktech4))
Adam Sloan, Colonist ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Cheryl Skinstad (Rear Admiral), Science Officer
Elsa Mitchell (Commander), Security ((Scottland78))
Ginrai Yamabushi (Lieutenant Commander), Engineering
Gunnar Ragnarsson (Lieutenant JG), Medical Officer ((Gunnar Nova))
Mac Gaelyth, (Ensign), Operations Officer
Sandra Lacrima (Lieutenant), Security
Tania Locke, Colonist ((Gunnar Nova))
Vaktari Tal, (Ensign), Engineering ((saraphinadarksoul))
Hal Jordan (Fleet Captain), XO ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Back row: Yamabushi, Gaelyth
Left to right, second row: Mitchell, Lacrima, Ragnarsson
Left to right, front row: Skinstad, Watts, Rieko, Jordan, Tal
Not shown: Sloan, Locke

Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Evelyn Rieko stood on the bridge thinking about all they had been through to get to this point, being back on course to the planet Macreen. They still didn't know who put up that force field trap, but they would attempt to find out and she had written about it in her Captain's log and advised Starfleet to make that area known to the Federation and to all ships so that they could avoid that trap and also solve the mystery. And those Pakleds, trying to steal her crew when they were helping them, how low can they go? Very low obviously. She is so happy to be leaving them to go their own way, after helping them escape the enclosure with the Durant. She looked around at the bridge crew as she sat in her chair and said, "Report on your stations, everyone. Ensign Gaelyth, what is our ETA to the planet Macreen? We will be over 2 weeks late but it could not be helped Lieutenant Lacrima, scan for any ships nearby. The Pakleds are not following us, are they?

Ace Watts took a sigh, a deep breath, happy we are out of that mess.

Adam Sloan stood near the main hut of the colony, wondering when Starfleet would arrive.

Cheryl Skinstad is relieved that she had found the area in the force field that was weakest. The Durant weakened it further with rapid-fire phasers. Thankfully, the ship was able to fly out with Ensign Gaelyth following, flying the Pakled ship. Although the crew have lost all communication with Macreen, she can feel an uneasiness emanating from the colonists. Their comms system is one of the things we are going there to repair. She turns to the CO and says “Sir, I am investigating the ship's library computer LCARS point to see if there is anything reported previously about any Macreen sickness. As yet we do not know what we will find when we get there. The only other thing I wish to add is that I can sense something malevolent. It is not from a single source, but certainly from a number of individuals."

Elsa Mitchell moves over to comms to man the Comms station. She enters her security code, and looks over to the CO and XO, "Comms are standing by. All hands are ready."

Ginrai Yamabushi looks down at the console, and begins checking on the systems. He thought about some of the superficial burns on his legs from the dive over the fire. "Structural systems nominal, computer systems..." he looks over at Ensign Tal, "Ensign Tal. Report.." he beams a warm smile at the Ensign.

Gunnar Ragnarsson is looking over what information they had received from the previous transmissions from Macreen and ordering the medical staff on preparations needed. He taps his combadge. "Ragnarsson to Bridge. I've got medical teams ready for beam down once we arrive and supply dumps with medical gear and mobile hospital building kits set up near the cargo transporters for beam down on arrival. Any away team is going to need to be in environmental suits due to how contagious this new virus appears to be."

Mac Gaelyth: "Approximate time to arrival is twenty-seven minutes, Commodore," he answered, matter-of-fact. "Maintaining Velocity of warp 9."

Sandra Lacrima was back at Tactical after having returned from the Pakled ship, an experience she will surely not forget for a while. But on the upside she had a new project to work on together with Commander Yamabushi. Their goal is to adapt this new phaser technology successfully to the Durant and then present this technology to Starfleet. But at that point she had to put these plans aside, they were back on their actual mission and for that on their way to Macreen. As the Durant was nearing its destination, she ran a long range scan and reported to her CO. "Sir, there is no sign of any ships in a perimeter of 0.5 parsec around Macreen. As far as I know, the people on Macreen are not warp capable yet, are they, Sir?“

Vaktari Tal sat at the console and monitored the Ship's engines and such. She really didn't care to be on the bridge but was told to be here and so here she was. Of course if she had her way she would be safely in Engineering working on the various to-do list that always needed done on a ship this size. Taking a gander at the engines' specs her mind starts to run though ways to make the systems more efficient, but that could wait for later. Noticing a slight fluctuation, her fingers dance over the controls to correct it. "Warp Core stable, all engines on line and functioning at peak efficiency, Captain Rieko.

Hal Jordan sat happily on Durant's bridge, savoring the clean air with no odor of smoke, looking around at the consoles with no flames coming from them, and happy that everything onboard was connected to everything else in known and predictable configurations. He smiled and looked at Evelyn. "Department heads report readiness for arrival at Macreen. There were no major problems reported due to the effects of the force field, and the Pakleds are far, far behind us. They are free to travel wherever they want, but I recommend we have Starfleet send a bulletin to alert all ships in the quadrant about their kidnapping attempt."

Rieko listens as the reports come in. Very good Lieutenant Lacrima, it's reassuring to hear the Pakleds are not trying any other schemes concerning us. The colonists on Macreen are from different planets that are warp capable. They have settled on the Class M planet Macreen and they are a group that has decided they want to experiment with using only the slightest bit of tech necessary, but they are having trouble with the computers and tech systems they have." She looked to Ensign Tal. "Thanks for that report. Yjem looks to Hal, “Yes, Captain Jordan, that is a good idea to alert the Federation of the Pakleds kidnapping attempt. It is in my report. But I will send a separate message advising that all ships are alerted to the dangers of the Pakleds. Thank you, Ensign Gaelyth, we will arrive soon, and I hope you are wrong about the malevolent feelings you are sensing Rear Admiral Skinstad. Nods as Commander Mitchell takes her seat at the Comms console."

Watts: "At least we got to escape. I hope no one gets close to those Pakleds."

Sloan closed his eyes and assessed how he was feeling. No headache, no muscle aches, nose was a bit stuffy but that was to be expected at this time of year. The local plants were emitting their version of pollen, and though it made the place look pretty, some of the colonists reacted poorly to it. The main thing was that he felt none of the symptoms that were reported by the other colonists just before they died. They needed a doctor, and whatever starship was on the way would have a full medical team, which was enough to give the colonists hope that they might have at least a few more days to live. Macreen was a beautiful world, and he wasn't ready to say goodbye to it just yet.

Skinstad Is aware of her duty to provide the crew with more detailed information and a greater understanding of what is going on. She continues to research contagions and pathogens. Once on Macreen she assumes she will be documenting the situation, receiving and analyzing their reports. She turns to the CO and says “I hope that my senses are wrong too, but I am conscious that what I perceive is anger, grief and blame. It is not consistent, as I feel some understanding and sympathy too. It is all very confusing to me at this point and unclear.”

Mitchell: "XO, Marines Commander sent a message stating that his men are given rest until we get close to Macreen." She looks to her CO and nods her head. "Welcome, ma'am."

Yamabushi starts tapping on the console and replies, "I'm running a Level 5 diagnostic on the transporters, making sure nothing got caught in our pattern buffers," he replies. As he begins checking, he continues. "All clear on Level 5 diagnostic." He looks over to Ensign Tal. "Once in orbit, Ensign Tal, I'm going to need you to run a cascading level 3 diagnostic on some of the consoles, I don't want any latency because of a faulty pathway."

Ragnarsson checks a nearby monitor to see how close they are to the planet, then turns to his people. "Okay, we're getting close. Everyone start getting their environmental suits on. We'll be going with Level 1 quarantine procedures on this!" He taps his combage again. "Ragnarsson to Commodore Rieko, Sir, I'm going to need some Engineers with the away teams to help set up our prefab hospitals we'll be beaming down."

Gaelyth: "Coming up to the system now. Reducing to sublight, adjusting heading to match geostationary orbit with their primary settlement," he announced, and half-turned. "Commodore, my father's family were neo-luddites, similar to these people. High levels of visible technology may cause some consternation to the locals, particularly the dyed-in-the-wool hardcore amongst them. I advise caution when distributing equipment."

Lacrima replied to her CO "Ah, right... there are colonies... somehow I forgot about that fact, Sir. Do we have any information on social structure, is there a Federation contact person or any other person of trust on Macreen? I would like to contact them separately to get information about the security situation in the colonies in order to take precautionary measures and evaluate the deployment of security personnel, Sir.“

Tal looks at Lieutenant Commander Yamabushi and smiles, then nods. Silver eyes training back on the console in front of her, she lets her memory muscle take over and starts to program the systems as needed. "Copy Sir, programming for a Cascading Level 3 Diagnostic set up on a timer to be routed to our tricorders and the Bridge consoles," so in case something happens and she is pulled away, the computer will run the required diagnostic and send the result to her and Lieutenant Commander Yamabushi's tricorders. Furrowing her brow, she listens to the others on the Bridge around her and sighs very very softly. Sounded like they are going on an away mission, again. She was also familiar with colonies that snubbed most Tech. They had a few on Trillius Prime. This would be interesting.

Jordan listened to the reports coming in, and the normal back and forth professional communication on the bridge. The crew was good at their jobs and it really showed. He had been on other ships where the bridge chatter was less formal, and although the job still got done, there was always the feeling that the crew could have been distracted and missed something important. "It's great to hear these preparatory discussions. We should be all ready to start providing assistance the minute we arrive."

Rieko listens as Cheryl talks of the emotions she already feels are coming from the planet. "I guess that is the usual situation with a group of people living together. You are getting a mixture of different emotions, so not all bad emotions and that's good." Looks to Mac, "That is a very good suggestion Ensign Gaelyth, that we should not bring out full force technology to them. They would not like that. Most of them want to live the simple life but others are using some tech, low tech I would say, not high tech." She looked to Sandra, "There are no Starfleet personnel on the planet. We do have some data on the social structure in our databanks, they have 4 Parishes and each parish has a representative on the Macreen Council." Looks to Hal, "Yes Number One, we will start helping them as soon as we arrive. I am sure they will be happy to see us. We will bring them supplies, work on their Comms system and computer, and the doctors will diagnose them and treat any illnesses.

Watts: "I just hope they will be happy with our help, sir."

Adam Sloan saw Tania Locke walking nearby and stepped up to greet her. "Hey, Tania, how are you feeling? I still don't have any symptoms today, guess my luck hasn't run out yet. I heard that one of the workers in the general store caught the bug last night. If it keeps spreading then there won't be anyone left alive to greet Starfleet when they get here. I wonder what's holding them up. Have you heard any news?"

Skinstad taps her console and reads Medical and Engineering away teams’ preparations reports. She checks the ship’s status of related procedures. The safety of the crew is paramount. She reports to the Bridge Command Staff. “All decontamination and containment procedures are in operation for the away team’s visit to the planet surface and for its safe return.”

Mitchell looks into why I am not receiving any messages, even slightly, from Macreen. She looks up. "I know they have low technology and their comms need work, but it seems they have no Communication system working now."

Yamabushi looks over at Ensign Tal, he replies warmly, "You heard the Order, no technology." He pulls off his tricorder, and begins tapping on the console, and stands by while beginning the Level 3 diagnostic on non-essential systems. He looks over at his slacks and thinks to himself aloud, "I've gotta replicate a new set of slacks before we head down to the surface."

Tania Locke says to Adam wearily "I'm feeling fine, but most of my students are out with the sickness. A few have died. My husband died three days ago." She lets out a string of curses at the sky before continuing. 'Where is Starfleet! They were supposed to be here a long time ago! Maybe if they had been here, my husband would still be alive!"

Tal was keeping a sharp eye on the systems as she listened to all the various reports and conversations going on around her. Hearing Lieutenant Commander Yamabushi's orders, she hits a few buttons to route information to her tricorder and stands adjusting her uniform top. then looked at him again. "Sir, i believe our tricorders would be okay. I have had contact with these types of people before on Trillius Prime. and as long as it is not flaunted we should be okay." She had to go and grab her EVA suit anyway, and so stepping to the exit from the bridge she addresses him again. "I will meet you in the transporter room in a few moments." Walking to her quarters at a fast pace, she grabs her suit and hightails it to the transporter room, not wanting to keep people waiting.

Jordan listened to the conversation between the helmsman and the Captain. He had heard something about the colonists not liking technology, but just how much technology they had and just how much they disliked technology they didn't have was not covered in the briefing. "It seems to me that we are going to need to bring the full force of our medical technology to bear on their problem, and if they don't approve of that, there's not much we can do to hide it. We don't have to set up a full entertainment system with replicators and robot dancers, but we do need to bring our high tech medical gear. I'm sure that seeing a medical tricorder and a hypospray device would be far preferable to death."
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Evelyn Rieko (Commodore), CO

Ace Watts (Ensign), Operations Officer ((ktech4))

Adam Sloan, Colonist ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Cheryl Skinstad (Rear Admiral), Science Officer

Elsa Mitchell (Commander), Security ((Scottland78))

Ginrai Yamabushi (Lieutenant Commander), Engineering

Gunnar Ragnarsson (Lieutenant JG), Medical Officer ((Gunnar Nova))

Mac Gaelyth, (Ensign), Operations Officer

Sandra Lacrima (Lieutenant), Security

Tania Locke, Colonist ((Gunnar Nova))

Vaktari Tal, (Ensign), Engineering ((saraphinadarksoul))

Hal Jordan (Fleet Captain), XO ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Durant bridge

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”