TDRP2231: "Welcome to the Jungle" (220820)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We are para-RPers and storytellers. Using live, in-the-moment chat, we listen, read, respond, and create a new story as a collective of writers jamming on a theme. We are given a context – a place to begin and then improvise together what happens next, and what happens after that… and where does that take us.
That sense of being in fellowship with other creative people who understand the overall context and environment while writing a story that is vibrant and alive creates a sense of enjoyment and togetherness. Our goal on Durant is to foster that sense of belonging, to embrace good RP etiquette, and to have tons of fun!

Roleplay Times: Saturdays 9:00am SLT
Commanding Officer: Evelyn Rieko
Executive Officer: Greenlantern Excelsior

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

====OOC======
Sat August 20,2022
OOC Preparation
MISSION TDRP2231
==============

STARDATE: 220820
CREW START TIME: 9:00am SLT

LOCATION TO MEET: Class M Planet
RP STARTS: Class M Planet (Group one)

WHAT TO WEAR:
Starfleet Officers:
UFS Duty Uniform
Durant Chat Relay
Phasers
Tricorder
Medical Tricorder (Medical Officers)

Priki and Humi Tribe:
Cave people attire

MISSION LEAD/GM: Fleet Captain Evelyn Rieko

POST ORDER:
Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).

ARRIVING LATE? Ensure to enter the scene in a logical manner.
NEED TO LEAVE EARLY? Justify your exit.
SITREP:

The rescue team has found the Hemmer shuttle crew on a Class M planet in Sector 009D. Lt. Sandra Lacrima realizes they are violating the prime directive by being there with people that are so far away from having warp technology. However, it could not be helped, the Hemmer had to land some place safe. Once the primitives had seen the Hemmer it didn't matter that they would also see the second shuttlecraft.

The two severely injured officers are Medical officers. The Science Officer Ensign Carol Ellsworth had some medical training but she is not a doctor, and she is no longer there to help, she has been abducted by a prehistoric bird.

Everyone is worried about Ensign Ellsworth being taken away by a Pterodactyl looking creature. Lt Col Mitchell has gone to rescue the Ensign. Everyone is also worried about the injured members of the Hemmer shuttle. Ensign Torak and Ensign Linda Johnson. Lt. Selina Otsuka has activated the Emergency Medical Hologram (EMH), and this frightens the Priki tribe healer Una. The EMH says they have to get the damaged Ensigns to sickbay or Ensign Torak will not survive.

The Priki tribe has accepted Zark into the tribe. Meela wonders if Zark is the one sent by their god Sagundi. Una is being meek and keeping a distance from the other tribe members because she has not been able to heal any of the tribe members that were sick. She is attempting to heal the Strange male but then the other Strange Ones say the one that just appeared suddenly can heal him. It frightens Una. The Strange Ones frighten her. One appearing suddenly like magic. They have strong magic.

Some of the Priki Tribe members want the Strange Ones to stay and join the tribe. They like the Strange Ones and think of them as friends. The Priki will try to convince the Strange Ones to stay with them. The tribe is very small now with so many deaths taking their family and friends. Ahnee believes the Strange Ones will help them end the sickness. The Strange Ones would help the Priki be a strong tribe again. The Priki Tribe Leader Vrook and the Priki tribe high Priest Ruark have left the caves to rescue the Strange Fire hair female.

https://lcars.ufstarfleet.org/index.php ... Sector_Map

You should have read:

TDRP2230: "Guess Who's Going to be Dinner" (220813)
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33811

TDRP2229: "Search and Rescue Mission" (220806)
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33796

TDRP2228: "We Come in Peace" (220730)
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33755

TDRP2227: "Give us a Sign" (220723)
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33733

TDRP2226: "Somewhere out There" (220716)
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33716

=OOC================================
SIM Concept: Evelyn Rieko
Historian: Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)
====================================
Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Gwydion, Pterodactyl ((Evelyn Rieko))
Carol Ellsworth (Ensign), Science Officer ((Evey45))
Una (Tribal witch doctor), ((Zania Turner))
Ahnee (tribal sacrifice), ((Evelyn Rieko))
Vrook (Tribal Leader/ protector), ((Ginrai Yamabushi))
Emergency Medical Hologram (EMH) ((Gunnar Nova))
Ruark (Tribal High Priest), ((Evelyn Rieko))
Sandra Lacrima (Lieutenant), Security

ImageBack row, left to right: Ruark, Una
Middle row, left to right Ahnee, EMH
Front row: Lacrima
Not shown: Ellsworth, Vrook
Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Gwydion screeched into the night with joy as she looked at her newborns chirping in her nest. All four of the eggs had hatched now! She walked around the nest, then went back to the carcass, pulling it closer to the nest, she started picking meat from it and feeding it to her young. After a while, she stopped and went over to the crevice where that new food had fallen. She pushed her beak down there and tried to peck it again and again and again, but she could not reach it.  Then she flew up high into the sky and screamed. She flew in a circle a few times then landed back near her nest. That food will rot down there if she does not get it. She decided to try again later.  

Ensign Carol Ellsworth: Before she climbed down a flying noise and a deep and loud booming noise froze her. The bird was approaching, she could hear the sudden change of air around her as if the beak of the bird was cutting the air. A clattering sound made her go deep into the crevice. Then she noticed the sound of chirping birds behind the bird. All the eggs were hatching now, and they were hungry. She tapped her combadge repeatedly =^= Ensign Ensworth. I'm in a very dangerous situation, trapped in a crevice with a giant prehistoric bird trying to get me to feed her offspring =^=  She paid attention to the transmission, not sure if they could hear her, and kept going on. =^= Ensign Ensworth here. I can see an opening. I will try to climb down. I'm not injured. =^= She sighed in relief when something was heard from the other end  =^= Stay safe =^= was all she could hear.  =^=Repeating, Ensign Ensworth here...=^= She looked up and down stuttering. "Stay safe... so either I stay here hidden or keep moving." Another loud sound made her make a decision while she lowered herself trying to keep her gravity center over her legs. She wonders, how will I manage to descend without causing damage to my leg? It's still aching. I can't give small steps, so I'll have to do a few jumps. She bent her knees a bit and jumped down being careful not to throw her weight on her aching leg. She was leaning forward and back. "Steady", she said to herself.

Una cowered against the cave wall after what had happened.  How was it that beings could just appear out of nowhere unless they came from Sagundi?  She buried her face in her knees, not daring to look.  It was bad enough that she had already broke tribal tradition . . . and now this.  Was their god going to punish her through an avatar?  

Ahnee grabbed a torch and lit it, placing it against one of the torch poles. She walked to the front of the cave. The Strange ones said they did not need help rescuing their friend, but Vrook and Ruark had run out to help them anyway. She hoped everyone would be alright. At night most of the animals hunted...so it is very dangerous. She walked to the opening of the cave peering out, then ran back inside to the strange ones and Una. She looked at the one Ruark called Sweet Hair and said, "I know you are worried about your friend that the Boorik took, and the sick ones here...but maybe you can help the Priki sick ones also. Me think you have strong magic, and you are sent by Sagundi, so will you help us?"  

Vrook looks to the ground and feels the soil, he looks to see if there are any deep imprints. There are several random creatures, but one that left a deep imprint, as he traces it back to the beach. He turns back to the strange ones and to the others, "....the flying one..." he says with a grim face as he looks up into the air. "Must be..."

Emergency Medical Hologram (EMH): as she continues to monitor Torak's condition, she notices a reading about their surroundings. Frowning, she focuses on the reading and moves her tricorder around the room. She says to Lacrima "Lieutenant there is extensive radiation in the walls of the cave. It would be in our best interest to not be in here. We should move everyone to your shuttle. I will have to give you an inoculation to prevent any further damage to you." She bends down to the medkit and prepares a hypo before turning towards Sandra.

Ruark looks to Vrook as Vrook speaks. Ruark nods moving his torch toward the footprints Vrook has found. "Yes, the flying one.. Boorik.. we know where she roosts. We know her habits. We will have to climb the mountain to rescue the strange one. Let's go!"

Lt. Lacrima entered the cave with the native female as her new entourage. Though being totally engaged in arranging and preparing their way home and the rescue of the injured and abducted crewmembers, she couldn´t ignore the naive yet sincere request of the blonde-haired woman. "I will talk with my friends here, we don´t know if our *magic* works for you, okay? I must help the others now.“ She said and walked towards the EMH who was treating Ensign Torak. After having heard its remark about the radiation, she let her flashlight illuminate the walls, making the blue lodes shine and gleam. "So beautiful yet dangerous“ she murmured and turned her right arm towards the EMH to let it give her the life-assuring shot, "Ready when you are, Doc!“…  she turned towards Lt. Otsuka while receiving the treatment from the EMH, "Selina… you mentioned the natives are suffering from an illness in here…  and you do think the radiation is the reason for the illness?! Sounds kinda logical.“  

Gwydion walked over to the edge of the cliff and saw the other foods moving around with fire lighting their way. It seemed they were approaching and if they came here that would be good, she would have more food for herself and her babies.. she made a small sweet sound that came out a low screech in anticipation of more food to come. She was happy when those foods came to the caves here, it made it easy for her to get food.  

Ensign Carol Ellsworth: The night noises startled her. She moved behind a rock and tried again using her combadge. =^+ Ensign Carol reporting position... =^=, she sighed. "I hope they can hear me. The transmitter seems to be working better." She had had a few hours to read about the tribe symptoms and the terran sickness, that was probably the reason of the early deaths, they needed to be strong and if this illness was so similar to sarcopenia then they were losing skeletal muscle mass and if their cells were damaged, they wouldn't survive there for more than 6-10 years. She heard animals or something roaming around her position. She took out the tricorder to scan the area again. Human lectures! She still has nausea and a small headache due to the ion radiation. Then she remembered that she had to tell them that the radiation signals came from the north of the cave. Those streaks of radioactive material in the cave walls were probably poisoning the tribe. They needed to treat Torak and Linda and the people of the tribe, but hopefully, some of the crew were here and they could take care of that, still, it would save time to tell them about the related symptoms of the tribe. She could see some small lights far away, getting close. She yelped at the screech of the bird, and muttered, "here she comes again"

Una glanced up slightly from where she was cowering but still saw the strange one there that had appeared from nothing.  She buried her face again in her knees, still afraid that she had angered Sagundi as she inwardly prayed for mercy.

Ahnee looked to the strange female speaking to her. The strange one seemed to care about the Priki, but was not sure their magic will work on Priki. Ahnee said, "Me hope you will try to help us..try your strong magic and make everyone well again. Me know you can do it." Ahnee watched as Sweet Hair held out her arm to another strange one that held a strange object.  "We would like that too.. on our arms..make our people well. We want you to stay with us, and join our tribe. You will be Priki.tribe." She pointed to Sandra, "Ruark likes you I think. He is high priest and very helpful to the tribe. He is a great hunter, he can provide well for a mate. He is strong too, and very smart! He was my sister's mate before she died of the sickness. I miss her so much" Ahnee eyes filled with tears, but she brushed them away. "We don't want more Priki to die. I hope you will try your magic on us, please. " She shook her head thinking, and then said, "We were fine until we moved to these new caves that Vrook and Ruark found for us. They are very large and nice, but that is when Priki start to get sick and some die." 

Vrook grabs his spear and grunts, "We go... Boorik has friend." he points to the mountain. He walks towards the mountain with a torch in hand. His eyes focused on the mountain. "We go now!!!"

EMH ignores the outstretched arm and places the hypo against Sanda's neck, pressing the activation stud and giving her a dose of L-Hyronalin to combat the radiation before turning back towards Torak, her tricorder taking readings of the walls again. "The radiation seems to be emanating from the blue material in the stone."  She scans the natives before adding. "It appears these primitive locals have been staying in these caves for quite a while due to their high levels of radiation. They are showing signs of accelerated muscle loss and tissue damage. If they do not relocate from these caves in the near future, they will all die."  The EMH shakes her head sadly. "It is quite sad for them. and an interesting conundrum. My ethical subroutines wish to help these people. They seem to be very friendly. But my programming prevents me from violating the Prime Directive.

Ruark followed Vrook running to catch up with him. Ruark had whispered to Ahnee that the sweet hair strange one that arrived in the second object was nice to stand near, but he did not tell Ahnee he would ask the Sweet Hair to be his mate. That is his plan when he brings back the strange ones' friend from the Boorik.  Sweet Hair will see what a good mate he would be and say yes.  He will tell her he is Ruark, and ask her name, but she will always be Sweet Hair to him. He will bring her seashells, flowers, and the claw from a kill. That will make her happy and he will show her where they will live. He smiled thinking about it and was about to climb the mountain.. but a Hooreech came near him and Vrook trying to kill them and make them its dinner. He ran back and aimed his spear at it and threw it! 

Lacrima winced as the EMH unexpectedly injected the medicine into her neck  "Ow! Hey! Are you running on the basic butcher program? This is not a battlefield!“ she said while rubbing her neck and glaring at it. She heard the blonde female asking for a treatment as well, but as much as she just wanted to let her have the most possibly helpful injection, she had to stay professional. "I can not decide this, I will have to talk with my friends“ and after noticing the look of desperation on the woman's face she added. "I can not promise to help you or to stay here, you have to understand that and wait, okay?“ She gave the native a serious look and then turned towards Selina who went to kneel beside the cowering native woman. "Alright, you heard the EMH… those are some tough decisions we have to make, but our highest-ranking officer is on a hiking trip to save Ensign Ellsworth. The first thing we need to do… and I agree with the EMH in that point it said earlier: is to evacuate our injured Ensigns to let them get treated effectively on the Durant. When this is done, we could still discuss whether to extend the list of violations of the prime directive – or not. What do you think?“ 

cont'd
Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore

Gwydion looked down and saw a beast try to eat two of the food creatures, but they were fighting it. She crouched there watching the show below. Who would win? The beasts are usually the conquerors... those weak things are just food, but sometimes they are surprising and she has seen them kill mighty beasts. They will not kill her though. She is wise and she has watched them a lot. If they come here, she will feed them to her babies.

Ensign Carol Ellsworth continued climbing down, still lowering her head and fearing the bird would get her although it seemed to be quiet now. She continued stepping down, squeezing her body between the rocks in the direction of the lights and the sounds. In the middle of the night, she could see the figures moving and animals' sounds, shouts, and a slight tremble on the ground. But there, surrounded by prehistoric animals and attempting against the "no intervention directive" she couldn't be happier to know some rescuers were coming to save her, the Starfleet members and the priki tribe. The crew, people she trusted with her life, and the priki tribe people, so different but working together to rescue her. All were risking their lives to save her. How could she deny them help and let them die? She needed to ponder about it. How could she explain this? Will the prime directive allow their intervention? If it didn't, she would need to do something. Maybe there was a solution that didn't implicate advanced treatments. She would need to find a cure, maybe analyse their natural medicine and take samples of some plants on the planet. They would need high doses of vitamin D, and protein. They had some sort of religion, what if healing them would be their death? What if their god would see this as a bad sign? No, that wasn't an alternative. They could give them shots and neuromuscular drugs, but, was that a possibility? 

Una continued to cower against the cave wall, even though she wasn't feeling to tooll at this point.  Still, whatever magic they were doing was strange to her and unlike anything she had ever seen.  She had no idea how it might heal someone, but she didn't dare talk again lest she violates tribe rules since she was considered as shunned.  If she did, it could mean death as a punishment, not just being an outcast.

Ahnee looked to Una cowering, afraid of one of the strange ones. Ahnee looked at the strange one pressing that object against the other ones, and she had not seen when she had arrived..maybe that is why Una is afraid, that new strange one is just suddenly here..she was not in the two objects that hurled down from the sky. Ahnee looked again at Una and walked to her. Many in the tribe hated Una now because she could not save their families and friends and they died; Ahnee lost her sister, but she knew Una did all she could. Una was an outcast in the tribe now, but Ahnee approached her., kneeled next to Una and said, "Una, I know you tried to save everyone. It is not your fault that your magic is not great enough to help. When the strange ones heal the tribe everyone will treat you well again and be happy." She touched Una's hair and said "Don't be afraid of the strange ones, they have great magic, and I hope they will help us. They are from Sagundi I know it! I feel it. So we do not have to fear them." She looked to the one with the stone jewel on her forehead then to the sweet hair and said desperately "You will help us, won't you? Please?" She dropped to her knees near Sandra. "Please?" 

Vrook throws his spear towards the hooreech, and released  a mighty roar back at the Hooreech, "RAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!" as he punched the hooreech. As the hooreech charged at him, he got into a position and charged at the creature, his brute strength pushing the creature back, "Grrrr...." he says, "...Go!" he felt the snip of the hooreech's teeth on his left shoulder, which made him release a primal scream in agony. He could feel the blood dripping down his arm, but he thought, "Sagundi, give me more strength, I am more a protector.... let me show it!" He heard the nearby roar of the hooreech as he leapt with all his might and roared back, this time, blood dripping down his shoulder, and muscles flexed outward in an imposing form, he let forth a guttural, primal scream.

EMH nods at Sandra's words. If she were a human, the EMH would feel badly for denying the natives the medical care they need. She might even be inclined to disobey the Prime Directive and save them. But unfortunately the EMH is NOT human. She's a program. A program with sub-routines that won't allow her to break certain rules, no matter how much the natives plead. The EMH: looks down at the stone bed as Torak starts having a seizure. She immediately scans him and says "Cortical stimulator is unable to stabilize the Ensign's brain patterns... Stand clear!" All thoughts of the tribe disappear as she focuses on her Starfleet patient.  A spray of green blood comes from Torak's mouth, his body shudders, and goes limp again. The EMH says "His heart has stopped!"  She attaches a cardio-stimulator to Torak's chest and calls out "Remain clear!" she activates the stimulator with her tricorder and the Ensign's body jerks. Her readings still shows no heart rhythm. She shocks him again. She calls out "Keep clear! One more time..." She activates the stimulator a third time.

Ruark roared loudly as he saw Vrook fighting with the Hooreeech!! He felt the hot blood running through his veins as he saw his leader viciously killing the beast. He screamed his warrior cry into the night and ran forward and pulled his spear out of the Hooreech. and ran toward the second Hzooreech to kill it! He had to get its claw for his Sweet Hair! He got near enough to throw his spear deep into the other Hooreech and then pulled out his sharp knife and jumped on its back..he stabbed it and it fell. He needed its claw for his Sweet Hair mate.. and he cut a claw off.. the Hooreech howled as he took his trophy. He pulled his spear out of the hooreech and ran toward Vrook. Ruark had his gift for his Sweet Hair. He smiled thinking she would be his mate and give him many many children, some with eyes and hair like hers. He screamed his warrior's cry into the night and clutched his claw trophy in his hand! He knew she would say yes! 

Lacrima came up with an idea, "Okay, we´ll wait till the Colonel and hopefully Ensign Ellsworth have returned safely, then I will fly the injured Ensigns to the Durant while you can discuss your next steps here… „ that´s when she noticed the tribal woman kneeling down at her feet, begging for her and the tribe to get helped, so she added in a desperate voice… "though I would highly recommend all of us to leave ASAP or it is me who will extend the list in a minute“. She bent forward and grabbed the native´s arm and raised her to her feet, "no begging, no kneeling, okay? Listen, we will….“ She was interrupted by the EMH which suddenly became hectic and started running emergency procedures on Ensign Torak. Sandra watched the dramatic scene unfold in front of her…  "No way! I'm getting the Shuttle! We´ll bring them out… now!“ she said in a determinant tone, then she rushed out of the cave.

=^=

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”