TDRP2228: "We Come in Peace" (220730)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We are para-RPers and storytellers. Using live, in-the-moment chat, we listen, read, respond, and create a new story as a collective of writers jamming on a theme. We are given a context – a place to begin and then improvise together what happens next, and what happens after that… and where does that take us.
That sense of being in fellowship with other creative people who understand the overall context and environment while writing a story that is vibrant and alive creates a sense of enjoyment and togetherness. Our goal on Durant is to foster that sense of belonging, to embrace good RP etiquette, and to have tons of fun!

Roleplay Times: Saturdays 9:00am SLT
Commanding Officer: Evelyn Rieko
Executive Officer: Greenlantern Excelsior

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

====OOC======
Sat July 30,2022
OOC Preparation
MISSION TDRP2228
==============

STARDATE: 220730
CREW START TIME: 9:00am SLT

LOCATION TO MEET: USS Durant Bridge
RP STARTS: Hemmer Shuttlecraft (Group one)
RP STARTS: Class M Planet (Group two)

WHAT TO WEAR:
UFS Duty Uniform
Durant Chat Relay
Phasers
Tricorder
Medical Tricorder (Medical Officers)

MISSION LEAD/GM: Fleet Captain Evelyn Rieko

POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).

ARRIVING LATE? Ensure to enter the scene in a logical manner.
NEED TO LEAVE EARLY? Justify your exit.

SITREP:
The Durant is on a charting and exploration assignment in Sector 009D, a partially explored area of space. The Hemmer Shuttlcraft was taken out for a test flight after completion of needed repairs. A highly radioactive ion storm enveloped the ship and they could not find the shuttlecraft on sensors. It seemed to have disappeared. On the Hemmer Shuttlecraft the shuttle crew was thinking the same thing about the Durant. It seemed to have disappeared.

Lt. Selina Otsuka, Ensign Carol Ellsworth, Ensign Torak, and Ensign Johnson and the officers onboard the shuttle. They all believed that this would be an enjoyable test flight, observing a nebula while flying, but things can change so quickly. Now they are caught in a huge ion storm, isolated from their ship.

Lt. Selina Otsuka , the highest rank officer on the shuttle is in command. The shuttle crew's lives are in her hands as her decisions and actions will determine the outcome of this very dangerous situation. The Hemmer Shuttlecraft has been enveloped inside and a huge level 7 ion storm with unusually high levels of radiation, which is affecting the shuttlecraft and the shuttle crew. The shuttle has been damaged. Systems are malfunctioing and the shuttle pilot Lt. Selina is attempting an emergency landing on a planet found on sensors by Ensign Carol Ellsworth. Long range sensors are malfunctioning along with most of the shuttle's systems, so it is difficult to tell if it is a Class M planet but going by a previous sensor sweep the Ensign believes it is Class M. So, the shuttle crew braces itself as Lt. Otsuka attempts to land and not crash and burn the shuttle as they enter the atmosphere of the planet.

https://lcars.ufstarfleet.org/index.php ... Sector_Map

You should have read:

TDRP2227: "Give us a Sign" (220723)
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33733

TDRP2226: "Somewhere out There" (220716)
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33716

=OOC================================
SIM Concept: Evelyn Rieko
Historian: Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)
====================================
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Ahnee (tribal sacrifice), ((Evelyn Rieko))
Una (Tribal witch doctor), ((Zania Turner))
Meela (Priki Tribe member), ((Janet Gelbert))
Vrook (Tribal Leader/ protector), ((Ginrai Yamabushi))
Ruark (Tribal high Priest), ((Evelyn Rieko))
Zark (Humi Tribe Hunter), ((Greenlatern Excelsior))
Selina Otsuka (Lieutenant JG), Helm /Operations
Carol Ellsworth (Ensign), Science Officer ((Evey45))
Jevuv Torak (Ensign), Medical Officer ((Gunnar Nova))

Left to right, third row: Vrook, Ellsworth
Left to right, second row: Torak, Una, Ruark, Meela
Left to right, front row: Ahnee, Zark
Not shown: Otsuka
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Ahnee heard Ruark yell 'Run' and she did! As fast as she could. She ran and found a place to hide as the strange fiery object fell from the sky. What could that be? She followed Vrook and the others as they all ran from the beach. Maybe it was Sagundi. Ruark wanted to sacrifice her to Sagundi, maybe the god had heard Ruark and had come for her. She wanted to scream, but she knew she should stay quiet. Maybe it was not Sagundi. She hid behind a tree with the others and whispered to them, as she brushed the hair out of her eyes. “The sky was darkening and the thing was bright! That is a strange thing... much fire and heat from the sky. Maybe it is Sagundi!! What do you think it is?"

Una joined the others to hide behind the tree. "If not Sagundi, it is a sign. Whether it is what we ask for, or brings destruction, it is too early to know. We need to interpret it," she cautioned, hoping that the others would not be too quick to judge what had just happened.

Meela: I am still breathless from running. I was coming to tell my friend Ahnee and the other tribal leaders that my mate Cuupi had died from the illness that has taken many Priki, when I saw the strange bright thing fall from the dark sky. I hear Ahnee's question and I tell her, "My mate Cuupi had been sick a long time and now has died. I no longer have faith in our god Sagundi because he let Cuupi die. I do not think this is anything to do with our God but something else."

Vrook runs from the beach and hides behind the tree and says, still breathless, "Great Sagundi!" as he looks up to see the star fall from the sky. He mouths a prayer to Sagundi, bowing his head and feeling a tear drop from his face. "You have restored my faith, and I will do your bidding." His eyes focused on the fire. He kneels in the direction of the fire.

Ruark ran and hid behind the wide tall tree with the others. He looked toward the beach and saw the strange people getting out of the fiery thing. They were strange... the skins they wore were strange... The Strange Ones. were they gods or people like the Priki? They look hurt and weak... must be people, but how did they get inside that thing? And how could they fall out of the sky? People don't do those things. He looked to the group and listened to Vrook. "Yes.. This is a sign from Sagundi!"

Zark listened carefully to conversation, watched people running. Forgot to hold on to branch, fell out of tree, landed heavily on head. Got up, brushed self off, checked but found no damage other than big dent... in ground. Walked over to group. "Hello, me Zark, mighty hunter. Nice to make your ac... your ack... nice to meet you. Zark wish to ask favor, was out hunting for food, turned left when should have turned right, unable to find way back to tribe. Zark wonder if maybe you can use mighty hunter to bring food for your tribe. Zark harmless and helpful, bring much food for cook over fire. Use strong club to defend new tribe from strange beings who fell from sky over there. What say, you pals with Zark now?"

Selina Otsuka punches the emergency switch to release the jammed shuttle hatch. She hurries back to the 2 unconscious officers, Torak and Linda. Seeing Linda still strapped to her seat and in no immediate danger, she calls to Carol "Ensign, grab a medical kit from the cabinet behind you and help me with Torak." She turns to the unconscious Vulcan medical officer. Selina quickly lifts Gunnar under his arms, gesturing to Carol to take his feet. Exiting the shuttle, she looks around quickly at her surroundings. Finding the area quite deserted, she proceeds to guide Carol to the beach nearby. Finding a safe spot, her arms aching from the weight of her fellow crew member, she gestures to Carol to set him down by the water's edge. "Try to revive Torak, Carol. I'll head back to get Linda." Selina fights back angry tears as she wades out towards the crashed shuttlecraft, angry with herself for failing to control the vessel, putting her passengers in danger when they placed their lives in her hands. "Please don't die on me," she pleads in her heart as she pulls the other unconscious officer out from her seat and towards the shore.

Carol Ellsworth looked at Lieutenant Otsuka while she maneuvered the shuttle to avoid contact with an asteroid. She didn't know the nebula area could have such an intense storm activity and it could last several days. They had avoided a big one with an iron core when they were trying to get back to Durant, but they could be safe if the shuttle landed as the storm was growing and the levels of radiation were increasing. Her thoughts were interrupted with the sound of the crash. She tried to relax before standing up and checking on the Doctor who was secured on her seat but unconscious. The Lieutenant was already there. After asking if Lieutenant Otsuka was okay, she nodded and followed her orders and rushed to grab a medical kit and handed it to Lieutenant Otsuka. Ensign Torak seemed stable. She grabbed Ensign Torak's feet and stood up slowly. She looked around her and then she looked at the ship. The impact didn't seem to have caused a lot of damage. She would need to check if it could be repaired after scanning the area. She verified the air quality first and breathed deeply, relieved while following Lieutenant Otsuka to the beach. "The air quality is good, Lieutenant." She proceeded to try to revive Torak. She still didn't know how the Lieutenant had managed to land them safely in the middle of the storm and with no visibility. With the tricorder in hand she looked around to the sky. "Visually the area doesn't present any natural dangers, but I need to make a long range scan. The environmental readings are in range, Lieutenant." She started scanning for life on the surface.

Jevuv Torak has been blissfully unaware of what had been going on around him since he had passed out. A childhood illness had made him more susceptible to radiation, which was why the nebula had affected him more than the others, despite having been given L-Hyronalin. Faint blotches due to the radiation had started appearing all over his body. To compound upon that, despite being secured in one of the shuttle seats, his head had smacked hard into the interior shuttle wall during the crash, causing a severe brain injury and a heavy laceration to the left side of his head. His face was covered in blood, though some was washed away when he was pulled from the shuttlecraft and carried through the water by his fellow crew members to be laid on the beach. Carol's efforts to revive him would not be successful at the moment. The combination of the radiation and his head trauma would require more serious treatment to bring him back to consciousness, or even save his life.

Ahnee looked at Vrook and Ruark, and said "Yes, I believe you are right. We asked for a sign! We asked for a sign from Sagundi and I asked him to send us help! Those people on the beach must be Sagundi's answer to our prayers!" She looked at the ones on the beach. They are so strange, but they were sent by Sagundi. Nothing else makes sense. They are our gift from Sagundi, I am sure of it!" She giggled happily, clapping her hands together and jumping a little up and down. Then she saw her friend Meela run to them and tell the bad news. She looked to Meela, "I am so sorry Cuupi died, very sorry." She hugged Meela tight. "I am sorry Cuupi died, but Sagundi has sent help to us now so no more will die from the illness." Then suddenly a man from another tribe fell out of the tree at their feet and started talking. She looked to him. "You got lost! You are lost, and now you want to join our tribe. You say you are a hunter? Are you a good hunter, Zark, if you are getting lost?" She laughed. "Maybe you can stay with us for a little while, but it is up to our Chief, Vrook. Vrook, what do you think of this one?" She turned back to Zark. "What do you hunt best? I think I am a better hunter than you." She looked him up and down and asked, "Which tribe are you?" He looked like Kumi, but she waited for him to tell her.

Una listens to the others and suggests, "If they are of Sagundi, one of us should approach them, but with a weapon in hand should they not be of Sagundi. That way, they could sacrifice them to Sagundi if they are not sent by him."

Meela: I am angry with the tribal healer Una and our God. Una is a healer, yet many have died and our God did nothing. However I am relieved that my friend might not now be sacrificed if they deem this to be a sign. This hunter appearing is also a sign maybe, but I decide not to say anything just now about that. Also, I don't trust the strange ones. I decide to say aloud, "I wonder, are the strange ones gods or women and men like the Priki?"

Vrook stands after offering his prayers, looks over to see Zark, and looks with a grunt and looks Zark up and down. "Hmm... " he grunts and nods, "Welcome, Zark." He says to his fellow Priki, "Welcome him into our arms. We have lost one, but a blessing has come from Sagundi!" He smiles at Zark and opens his hands in a welcoming gesture. He looks over to see the ones at the beach, his eyes focused as he grunts, "Mmmm..." He then looks towards his people, "Could this be magic from Sagundi? A test of our faith?" He shakes his head and replies, "No matter... let us all go to help them."

Ruark looks at Zark, and then hears Vrook welcome him to the Priki Tribe and says, "Zark, welcome to our tribe. You will be our brother now. I will teach you how to hunt and fish. You will learn much with the Priki Tribe." He nods at Zark and then nods at Vrook. He knows the Priki is the best and smartest tribe. He will teach Zark much. He then listens to Una and says "Yes, Una, we will bring weapons with us. Good idea. If they prove false we will sacrifice them to Sagundi." He sees Meela's anger, guessing that it could be related to the death of Cuupi. "True, Meela, Una is bad healer. Very bad healer, like having no healer, but she has tried her best. Don't be angry with her. It will take time, but you will love her again. You are sad you lost your mate and trying to hurt the healer with your words, but you will heal. Your heart will heal." He looks to Vrook. "Yes, Vrook, we will follow you to help the Strange Ones. They are very strange but I know they are from Sagundi."

cont'd

Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

Zark looked at other people standing around. Most looked well fed, in good health, not all covered with scratches like Zark. Chasing bunnies through the bushes not always easy, but Zark have success most times. "You know, Zark very success...ful hunter of bunnies. See right now two juicy looking ones over by purple flowers. Will retrieve for you if desired, can cook up over fire seasoned with herbs and taste good. One advantage of using club for hunting is that meat already tenderized, easy to eat. Or maybe Zark use club to menace strange visitors from sky, show them who is boss. We not want flaming white tree trunk fall on our heads." Zark listened to white haired girl in leopard striped tiny outfit. "Zark is Caveman Second Class in Kumi Tribe. Zark eat second at meal time, behind all other warrior hunters who are Caveman First Class. Kumi Tribe has no Caveman Third Class, so Zark is low caveman on totem pole. Zark not care though, have warm cave to sleep in, good food to eat, stand night watch to defend against saber tooth buffalo. Zark compete with you for hunting any day. Can take you out long distance wearing blindfold, spin you around three times, see if you make it back to cave. Check moss on tree trunk and find it grows all around tree, sun behind clouds, head hurt from fall. Life not easy for boy named Zark." Zark reaches into pouch, retrieves preserved rabbit meat that he was saving for lunch, divides in two and gives to tribe leaders who had welcomed him. "Zark thanks you for including into your tribe. Zark promises not to be burden, maybe only speak when spoken to, happy to help." Zark heard red wild hair cave lady talking about defense against sky visitors. "Good idea, Zark good security caveman, can provide big scare for strange visitors from sky. Zark approach, wave club, strike ground with big noise, scare strangers so they not attack. Watch, I demonstrate." Zark approached the strangers on the beach, shouting, waving his club, bashing at the ground with great sound and fury. "Strangers! We are many, you are few, we are strong, you are injured and weak! Give us respect or suffer the con... conseq... feel our wrath!"

Otsuka drops to a knee, almost exhausted. After placing Linda on the sand, she looks over to Carol. "How's Torak? Any luck?" She looks over to him, seeing a deep cut on the side of his bruised head, and grimaces. Selina then reverts her attention to Linda. She pats the other officer down and retrieves Linda's medical tricorder. She makes a quick scan over her unconscious body. With some knowledge of operating and reading the medical scans, she finds Linda has a fractured ankle, but thankfully, nothing more than a hard knock against the bulkhead. "Linda won't be very mobile, Carol. We'll need to get both of them back to the Durant pronto." Otsuka reaches over to grab a case that she's brought ashore. Opening it, she finds the shuttle's transponder. Entering her access codes, she nods as the signal starts to transmit. Just then, out of the corner of her eye, she notices some movement near the treeline not far from them.

Ellsworth: Ensign Torak wasn't reacting to the treatment. She knew he had a brain injury and there was nothing they could do here in the middle of nowhere. Even with the drug treatments that Doctor Linda had with her and the tricorder readings, they needed more technology to cure him. She thought he could have just a concussion and there was no major injury but the damage didn't seem to reverse. She approached Lieutenant Otsuka when she saw her return with the unconscious Doctor, and heard her ask about Torak. "He has a severe trauma, brain damage and cortical damage too. I have accessed the medical emergency files and there's nothing we can do here. He might have severe cortical damage." She nods and helps Lieutenant Otsuka, who seems exhausted, to take Doctor Linda back to the shuttle while listening to the diagnostic of the Lieutenant. While walking back to the shore, she lowers her voice and tells Otsuka, "I have indications of life." She points the tricorder in all directions. It was reading some sort of ancient tools. She checked the description, noting that some were ancient weapons. What kind of Planet was this? So rudimentary tools. The sensors were tracking the movement and position of humanoids. She taps the Lieutenant's shoulder. "Lieutenant, you need to see this." She looks at the Lieutenant looking fixedly to a spot. Her eyes move from left to right quickly. Her expression is very serious and she notices her index finger pointing to the trees.

Torak is completely out of it as he lays on the beach. As Carol is telling Selina of his issues, Torak's body starts shuddering as the severity of his brain injury causes a seizure.

Ahnee looks to Vrook. "Yes, wise one, we will go to help the Strange Ones. Ruark called them that and it is a good name for them. They are not gods, but they are not people like us, they are in between each of those, so they are strange. They are more like people than gods, because they are hurt. We can help them." She started running to their fire to get a torch. "Night is falling... it is getting darker. Meela, Una, get torches to light our way and to light the beach." She got the torch then ran back to join the others on the beach. They approached the strange ones. She walked slowly to them. She felt butterflies in her stomach. As she got closer she saw they were two females and a male. The male was very hurt. She extended her hand palm up in greeting and said, "Ommmpey" (Hello). Orchi pee cuuu the Priki Tribe. (We are the Priki Tribe.) You are sent by Sagundi?"

Una heard Meela blame her for her husband's death. She had tried, but the illness had been too great. Because of that, she remained apart from the others. If there was going to be anyone sacrificed, it would have to be her because of how she failed her duty to her tribe and one respected husband and tribesman died under her watch. From where she stood, she could see the prone figure on the beach in strange clothes start to shake. "Sagundi compels him..."

Meela: I take the torch and walk with my friend and the rest of the tribe to the Strange Ones. I look at the shiny object in the water. I ask the Strange Ones, "Where do you come from? Did you all climb out of that box? What were you doing in it? Was it a Temple? It cannot be your home, surely." There are so many questions I feel I want to ask but it probably is not my place to do so. I probably have asked too many questions already. I don't think they have understood a word I said anyway.

Vrook looks over at the wounded in their funny clothes. Seeing the Strange Ones, he grunts, looking at the shaking one, "Healer... help..." he grunts. He puts his hand on Zark's shoulder and nods, "Ni co go, Vrook, Uncla de Priki." (I am Vrook, Leader of the Priki), he says to the Strange Ones, "You... Strange Ones... Sagundi-blessed?" he says as he approaches with his hands outstretched, yet cautious to show that he is no threat.

Ruark inhales and puffs out his chest and narrows his eyes to look strong and fierce. He looks to the strange ones on the beach. Two females and a damaged male. He looked to Vrook, "If these strange ones are from Sagundi, they should be able to heal themselves. He walked closer and looked at the Strange Ones, "Ooompey, I am called Ruark. Who are you? Where did you come from? Who sent you here? How do you live in the sky and why did you fall out of it? Yes, I have many questions for you. Can you heal your male?" He looked to the two females, they looked strong yet soft at the same time. Very interesting females. He wanted to touch their hair. Their hair was so shiny and so pretty. "Why is your hair so pretty?"

Zark looked at man on beach, silent and not moving. Zark thought about hunting trip when he fell out of tree and hit head on rock. Pain, vision blurry, not thinking straight. He put down his club and rummaged around in his pouch. Pulling out a handful of leaves, he respectfully pushed past one of the sky ladies and knelt next to the injured sky man. Wetting the leaves in the nearby water, he stuck them all over the sky man's head, taking great care to be gentle with his wound. He inspected his work and then looked at the sky ladies and spoke slowly. "These leaves help. Take away pain, keep wound clean, help heal quicker. Big medicine from Zark, always happy to help." Looking into their eyes, he could not tell if they understood his language or not. But obviously the injured one was a man, like Zark, and he deserved to be treated with respect.

Otsuka blinks seeing the figures emerge from the trees, she looks over to Carol as if to ask if she is seeing this. Seeing one walk towards Carol, she gestures to the Ensign to take a step back. Then realising another... what she figures is a male species come nearer Torak... she places her hand up to shield her wounded crewmember "Whoa..." she tries to calm the over enthusiastic male.

Ellsworth: The day was ending, the sky was dark now. She struggled a bit to see the humanoids. Her eyes opened widely. They looked like humans. They were strong and muscular, long haired. Their clothes were made of animal skins. She looked at their bodies, looking for body paint and tattoos that could indicate if they had a cult or if they were aggressive. Some looked like ancient gatherers or hunters. One of them seemed like a shaman which indicated they had some sort of religious belief. But who or what they worshipped? Did they believe in the afterlife? Did they have human sacrifices? They were grunting and making noises. She slowly tapped her translator. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed Ensign Torak shaking. She was pondering what to do. If she moved, all the crew could be at risk, and if she didn't, she wouldn't help Torak. She breathed deeply and blinked a couple of times. He's a Vulcan. He's my friend. What would he do? She stood there quietly. She knew the answer even if she didn't want to admit it. After a couple of minutes, she raised her head a bit and whispered, "The translator isn't recognising this language, Lieutenant, and we don't have a linguistic. We'll need to improvise." Sign language was what ancient cultures used first, so if it worked for them it would work here too. She feels the Lieutenant looking at her and she nods quietly and steps back. She froze when the caveman approached and raised his hand trying to grab her hair. Was he gonna drag her to his cave? She couldn't let that happen! Another caveman, who looked like a shaman, approached Torak with some mixture and mud on long pointy leaves while saying something unintelligible. A big noise was heard, it was like a roaring. The tricorder emitted a beep and the women narrowed their eyes looking at the device. The males turned to the sound and held their sticks and weapons in an alert motion.

Torak continues seizing on the beach as the male tribesman places the leaves on his head. Will the leaves help? Only time will tell.

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Ahnee (tribal sacrifice), ((Evelyn Rieko))

Una (Tribal witch doctor), ((Zania Turner))

Meela (Priki Tribe member), ((Janet Gelbert))

Vrook (Tribal Leader/ protector), ((Ginrai Yamabushi))

Ruark (Tribal high Priest), ((Evelyn Rieko))

Zark (Humi Tribe Hunter), ((Greenlatern Excelsior))

Selina Otsuka (Lieutenant JG), Helm /Operations

Carol Ellsworth (Ensign), Science Officer ((Evey45))

Jevuv Torak (Ensign), Medical Officer ((Gunnar Nova))

Shuttlecraft survivors and tribal members

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”