TDRP2226: "Somewhere, Out There" (220716)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We are para-RPers and storytellers. Using live, in-the-moment chat, we listen, read, respond, and create a new story as a collective of writers jamming on a theme. We are given a context – a place to begin and then improvise together what happens next, and what happens after that… and where does that take us.
That sense of being in fellowship with other creative people who understand the overall context and environment while writing a story that is vibrant and alive creates a sense of enjoyment and togetherness. Our goal on Durant is to foster that sense of belonging, to embrace good RP etiquette, and to have tons of fun!

Roleplay Times: Saturdays 9:00am SLT
Commanding Officer: Evelyn Rieko
Executive Officer: Greenlantern Excelsior

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

====OOC======
Sat July 16,2022
OOC Preparation
MISSION TDRP2226
==============

STARDATE: 220716
CREW START TIME: 9:00am SLT

LOCATION TO MEET: USS Durant Bridge
RP STARTS: USS Durant Bridge

WHAT TO WEAR:
UFS Duty Uniform
Durant Chat Relay

MISSION LEAD/GM:
Fleet Captain Evelyn Rieko

POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).

ARRIVING LATE? Ensure to enter the scene in a logical manner.
NEED TO LEAVE EARLY? Justify your exit.

SITREP:
Captain's Log
Stardate 24220716

The Durant is on a charting and exploration assignment in Sector 009D, a partially explored area of space. One of our shuttlecrafts had been damaged badly in a previous mission and needed repair. The damage had been done to the impulse engines, thrusters, and torpedo launchers. Also, the warp engine was offline. Engineering completed the repairs and did a few upgrades to the defector shield, hull plating, and torpedo launchers. When the repairs were done, Helm Officer Lt. Selina Otsuka asked for permission to take the Hemmer Shuttlecraft out for a test flight. There were also two Medical Officers, and a Science Officer that asked to go along, Ensign Ellsworth, Ensign Torak, and Ensign Johnson. There was an interesting Nebula nearby and they wanted to take a closer look at it and collect data about it while test flying the Hemmer Shuttlecraft.

We have lost contact with the shuttle, and I'm worried about the officers. We cannot find them on long range sensors. Now a huge ion storm has appeared and is coming toward the Durant. We will stay out of range of it while we continue to scan the area for the shuttle. They could not have just vanished, but then we have had so many unusual occurrences, it is within the realm of possibilities that they did vanish. If so, to where and how will we get them back? No, I will keep a positive attitude. I do really believe they are somewhere out there. We just have to find them.

https://lcars.ufstarfleet.org/index.php ... Sector_Map

=OOC================================
SIM Concept: Evelyn Rieko
Historian: Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)
====================================
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Evelyn Rieko (Fleet Captain), CO
LiLing Choong (Lieutenant), Helm/Operations ((Selina Otsuka))
Narek Siva'nek (Lieutenant), Vice Chief Medical Officer ((narayansivananda))
Gunnar Ragnarsson (Ensign), Medical Officer ((Gunnar Nova))
Evey Riley (Ensign) Medical Officer ((Evey45))
Sara Acros (Ensign) Medical Officer ((Acros30))
Hal Jordan (Captain), XO ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Left to right, second row: Ragnarsson, Riley
Left to right, front row: Choong, Siva'nek, Rieko, Jordan, Acros
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Evelyn Rieko's thoughts drifted a bit. Ginrai had said she was a civilian in that alternate timeline. She wondered what she was doing in that timeline. What type of work did she do? She wondered about her personal life. If she was a civilian he probably did not know much about her, but he would know what the officers on the ship were doing. She would contact her friend Captain Jeera Zadi and see if she could get any information from her... although she was sure Zadi would say it is classified. She just found it fascinating that she was not in Starfleet in that timeline and would speak with Ginrai when she had a moment. Right now, there are too many issues. "Everyone report on your stations." She looked to Helm. "Lieutenant Choong, let's keep a distance from that storm of at least 4,000 kilometers." She looked to Tactical. "Captain Jordan, any sign of the shuttle out there? Science, Lieutenant Ahoka, any telemetry from the probe yet on this ion storm?"

LiLing Choong turns around to the Captain. "Aye Captain, adjusting heading by 8 degrees port." Her fingers tap quickly on her panels, adjusting the slight change in the ship's direction. LiLing notices the inertia dampeners alert lights flashing yellow. "Hmm... looks like the storm is making Durant work overtime." She quickly makes adjustments to the EPS grid feeding the stabilisers. "Captain Rieko, we are 32 minutes ETA to the ion storm, we should be shy of the storm's edge by about 5000 kilometers, Sir. Sensors show that the storm is moving towards Durant and its size is growing by 1500 meters per minute. We may have to adjust course again as we approach."

Narek Siva'nek: Seeing Ginrai is somewhat stable as we wean him off the medications slowly, I let the new Ensign Sara take a small sample of Ginrai’s blood to test. “Be sure to use the secure tubes while testing, please, it seems we are headed for a bumpy ride. In fact we need to secure all the patients, everyone. If we are headed for this ion storm it could get rough, we don’t need patients falling out of bed, and watch your own step as well as you can.” My mind is also on the missing crewmen. Selina is my friend. I hope she is safe and the others as well. My mind sees all sorts of possible scenarios with the crewmen being in danger. Temporal sickness is difficult for some and I am feeling a bit odd myself with momentary glimpses of another life. I do not mention this to anyone as it is how some react to the illness. My stomach churns every so often. We have many crew walking in with similar complaints and other ailments in which the medical staff is doing its best to accommodate them.

Ragnarsson looks over to Narek. "I think we can go ahead and release Ensign Pringali back to duty status. The Pulmozine cleared up her reaction and I've admonished her not to try eating Rokeg Blood Pie again." He moves over to Crewman Collins's bed "I recommend we keep Crewman Collins for a few more hours and make sure his symptoms from the concussion don't get worse." Moving over to the final bed, he runs another scan on Ensign Waters. "The Ensign's vitals look good. His disorientation wasn't as bad as Lieutenant Yamabushi's. The Trianoline has cleared him right up. I'm okay with releasing him back to duty."

Sara Acros has taken a blood sample and analyzed it and I found an abnormality in his blood, can't identify what exactly is going on.

Evey Riley: The sudden nausea makes her step away from the Lieutenant's bio bed. She breathes in and out a few times. It seems she is well now. Maybe it was the turbulence. She sighs at the mention of the alert again. Last one was 10 minutes ago. and now we have another. Is so strange, she doesn't have mood swings often, but all the beeping has been making her crazy. Weird because she is used to the sounds of the alerts and all the medical sounds. She looks at Doctor Narek while handing him the medical report of Ensign Corbetta. "He is getting worse. I have scanned and given him medication but his glucose levels are still very high, his allergic reaction is severe. I think it is time to administer something else, but it is still risky." I would like your opinion, Doctor.

Hal Jordan looked over the Tactical console, running a quick low level diagnostic. Everything was running fine, no errors to be seen anywhere. Then why wasn't he seeing the shuttle? He decided not to show his frustration in his report to the Captain. "Sir, Tactical is running fine, no problems with the sensors either. Our shuttle is not shown on long range scans, out to the limit of our scanners. A shuttlecraft would show up clearly on our sensors even at very great range. In addition to the high visibility of its power plant, it carries a Federation locator beacon that is operational at all times. That ion storm would not cause the scanners to miss that beacon. So it seems to me that they could be several light years away out of scanner range, and/or the beacon emitter has lost power. They should be standing out quite clearly on Tactical, but I don't see a sign of them anywhere. What I do see is that big ion storm, hard to miss it on sensors. But I should be seeing the shuttle too."

Lieutenant Elise Ahoka: "Sir, no telemetry yet from the probe. I will report as soon as it comes in."

Rieko looks to Science: "Thanks, Lieutenant." shakes her head as she hears the report from Helm, then walks up to Helm, glancing at Li Ling and then the viewscreen. She could see the storm approaching. "Lieutenant Choong, that storm is moving fast. Growing by 1500 meters per minute?. You will have to do some fancy maneuvers to stay ahead of it. Keep this distance of 5000 kilometers for now." She hears Hal's report and turns to him. "You're saying the shuttle could be light years away... that’s strange. What would cause them to go off so far away from the ship? They were only going for a test run of the repaired shuttle, and to explore that nebula. Maybe that nebula has something to do with it. Scan the nebula for anything unusual, Captain Jordan." She suddenly gets a terrible headache and feels nausea. Oh, I don't feel so good." She walks back to her chair and sits down.

Choong smirks, hearing the XO's assessment. 'Maybe they are lost. Maybe they have vanished and are light years away... maybe we won't find them. That would mean I might get bumped up to the Alpha shift?' she thinks. Lieutenant Choong shakes her head, slightly embarrassed to be thinking or even wishing such a situation to fall on her crewmates. She then looks over her Ship Resource screen, and quickly slide her fingers over some panels. "Reallocating another 6% more power to the sensors, XO. Hopefully this boost could help get a blip on the screens Sir." Turning to her CO who just sneaked... no, walked up behind her, "Aye Captain. It seems that this storm is rolling like the devil is at its heels. I'll be ready to out maneuver it Sir. I am quite sure." She smiles, eager to please the Captain and secure her place in Lieutenant Otsuka's absence... Perhaps long term.

Siva'nek Looks over Ensign Water’s chart for a moment listening to Dr Ragnarsson’s recommendations and nods. Looks over the PADD Ensign Evey is handing me and I suggest administering ProVent Vertigo X. “5 CC of ProVent Vertigo X and keep and Eye on Corbetta for the next 15 minutes see what reaction occurs, if any, while we attend to the other patients wandering in.”. Enough crewmen are streaming in we have to seat them in chairs as we determine each patient’s sickness. I send a report to the Captain quickly asking also “how is the bridge crew doing physically Captain, any complaints?.” I also wonder what now as the silent but yellow alert signals flash in sickbay softly.

Ragnarsson: "They're going to run out of beds soon if the crew keep coming in at this rate." He beckons to a nearby Nurse. "We may need to set up another temporary sickbay area if crewmen keep streaming in like this. Let's go ahead and get beta shift in to assist... with your permission of course Doctor?" He looks over at Narek for the go ahead, not meaning to overstep. He moved over and started scanning the crew streaming in with his tricorder to determine their levels of disorientation. This is definitely going to be a busy shift for them all. Perhaps an extended one even at this rate. Despite it all, Gunnar was loving every second of it. He thrived on action.

Riley listens carefully to Doctor Narek and Doctor Ragnarsson and nods. Their suggestions are very good. She hadn't tried that and that could stabilize Ensign Corbetta. She agrees with the Doctors. "Yes Doctor, I will administer 5cc of ProVent Vertigo X. Everyone is getting sick today. I'm glad our medical team is fully operational and haven't been sick." She listens to Doctor Ragnarsson's recommendation and nods. That's a great idea. This could soon be out of control if they don't. She waits until everyone returns to their patients and walks to Ensign Corbetta. She'll keep an eye on him too until he is better. The lost crew comes to her mind. She is worried for them, if they had at least some sort of communication but it was as if they had disappeared. It would be an issue if someone else got sick and just now when Lieutenant Yamabushi is getting better.

Acros: "Here is my report sir. I have checked the patients assigned to me, and they are all stable.

Jordan looked at Tactical again as it gave out a muted beep tone. Finally, he had a contact. "Captain, I now have a contact ahead at extreme range. It was located behind the ion storm from us, and the storm was masking its location due to all the interference. Lieutenant Choong's reallocation of power to the sensors did the trick, and thank you, Lieutenant. There is so much 'hash' being generated by the storm that it's impossible to determine what I am seeing. Perhaps if we could get closer, while still avoiding the storm, we could get a better idea what it is. I am sharing the object's location with Helm."

Lieutenant Elise Ahoka reads the telemetry from the probe and looks to the CO, "Captain Rieko, I have some data from the probe. This ion storm is a level 7 and it can cause extensive damage to the ship if it gets close to us. It is rapidly expanding out over 2 light years and growing. It's huge and the ionically charged particles are unusually high in radiation." She bites her lower lip and then continues, "Sir, if the shuttle got enveloped into that storm... I... I don't think they would make it through. A Starship could maybe warp through it possibly, but a shuttle... there’s a possibility it could be… destroyed."

Rieko listened to Li Ling's report. "I like your confidence, Lieutenant Choong, you remind me of Lieutenant Otsuka. I have two great helm officers." She was feeling slightly dizzy and shook her head trying to clear her thoughts. She listened to Lt. Ahoka's report. from the probe and her worry about her officers increased. Yes, Lt Ahoka, I hope the shuttle was not caught up in this storm, but as large as the storm is.. they probably were, but there is still hope that they were able to outrun it or find refuge somewhere." She turns to Hal, "Number One , that sounds promising, Yes, work with helm.. get us a little closer Lieutenant Choong... that blip could be our people." She gets a message from Doctor Siva'nek in sickbay and responds. pushing a button on her console... feeling weak. =^= Dr, Narek, I'm not feeling well.. could you come to the bridge...examine me. I have reports that crew members are lining up to go to sickbay. It could be the radiation from the ion storm. Science reported it has unusually high levels of radiation... in..it." She is trying to stay strong, but feels so sick. Looks to Hal.. thinking he may have to take the Conn... maybe the doctor will correct what is going wrong with her..she hopes.

Choong checks on the navigational screen. "Captain Rieko, I am pleased to report that our heading should be clear of the storm in 14 minutes." She looks again at the readings of the storm's velocity and size. "We should be well within 6000 kilometers of its edge Sir." Lieutenant Choong then nods to Captain Jordan, "You're welcome XO, I try to be ahead of the game most of the time Sir." She grins, making a mental note of the brownie points that she has chalked up today.

Siva'nek: “Dr Ragnarsson… I know you are new to our ship and perhaps your suggestion could be implemented at another time when serious life threatening casualties are flooding in under battle stress or accidents. Today we can administer hypo injections to any one feeling mild illness and return them to work or to their quarters for 24 hours. No need to call in a Beta shift at this time, let them get their rest. Please work quickly with any crew wandering in and assess their condition quickly then have them on their way.” Looks about sick bay. “Everyone do your duty efficiently. This isn’t a level one emergency… yet.” I feel a bit of a headache coming on but push through it. I look at the computer screen on the wall and the alerts about the storm populating across it. I hope the storm isn’t going to prove a level one emergency. I am still thinking of the shuttle crew and its safety. I hope they will not become lost, perhaps they can find a safe place to land and wait it out while the Captain searches for them. I hear the Captain’s reply and press the console button “Yes Sir be right up.” I clip two hypos to my belt and leave sickbay.

Ragnarsson nods to Narek's response. "Of course, Doctor. My apologies." He works his way down the line of patients as he develops a bit of a headache himself. Hearing the Captain say something about radiation, some of the readings are starting to make sense. He tells the Nurse working, "Get me some L-Hyronalin please." He does a quick scan of himself.

Acros: I am feeling sick, it could be because of radiation. I am dizzy and have a headache.

Riley turns her head. The Ion storm was worrying. Many had been reporting headaches, and they had already administered some hypo injections. The doctor's orders were to give all preventive medicine as they could to those affected. Radiation was a serious problem if it was high. A feeling of distress invades her and something inside her head makes her think of alien viruses or compromised cells. She had to check if everyone in the ship was okay. She shakes her head as if she could get rid of the thought by doing so. She should ask Doctor Siva'nek and Doctor Ragnarsson if the Lieutenant had said something about his headquarters. He needed something.

Jordan watched as Tactical became more unusable due to that blasted storm. "The shuttle has shields too. They might have had a bumpy ride for a while, but in my opinion, they also might survive the storm. The storm does seem to be growing larger, however, and that is affecting our sensors. The contact I'm tracking is now intermittent. At least it's still on our screens though. I will keep tracking and continue updates. Also, I am increasing power to the shields to try to filter out some of the more damaging radiation from the storm. It occurs to me that the shuttle's shields could have been overwhelmed by the storm, so its occupants may be in serious need of medical attention when we find them."

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Evelyn Rieko (Fleet Captain), CO

LiLing Choong (Lieutenant), Helm/Operations ((Selina Otsuka))

Narek Siva'nek (Lieutenant), Vice Chief Medical Officer ((narayansivananda))

Gunnar Ragnarsson (Ensign), Medical Officer ((Gunnar Nova))

Evey Riley (Ensign) Medical Officer ((Evey45))

Sara Acros (Ensign) Medical Officer ((Acros30))

Hal Jordan (Captain), XO ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Durant Bridge at Yellow Alert

Medical conference in Sickbay

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”