TDRP2214: "Shore Leave!" (220409)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We are para-RPers and storytellers. Using live, in-the-moment chat, we listen, read, respond, and create a new story as a collective of writers jamming on a theme. We are given a context – a place to begin and then improvise together what happens next, and what happens after that… and where does that take us.
That sense of being in fellowship with other creative people who understand the overall context and environment while writing a story that is vibrant and alive creates a sense of enjoyment and togetherness. Our goal on Durant is to foster that sense of belonging, to embrace good RP etiquette, and to have tons of fun!

Roleplay Times: Saturdays 9:00am SLT
Commanding Officer: Evelyn Rieko
Executive Officer: Greenlantern Excelsior

Moderators: Evelyn Rieko, Greenlantern Excelsior

Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commodore
Command - Commodore
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

=====OOC======
Sat April 9, 2022
OOC Preparation
MISSION TDRP2214
==============

STARDATE:220409
CREW START TIME: 9:00am SLT

LOCATION TO MEET: Durant Transporter Room
RP STARTS: Durant Transporter Room

WHAT TO WEAR:
Casual resort attire
Durant Chat Relay
Combadges

MISSION LEAD/GM: Fleet Captain Evelyn Rieko

POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).

ARRIVING LATE? Ensure to enter the scene in a logical manner.
NEED TO LEAVE EARLY? Justify your exit.

PROPER ADDRESS: Our XO is addressed as Captain Jordan or XO or Exec. Our CO is addressed as Captain Rieko. Please don't use "Captain" without a surname as we won't know who you are addressing ;)

SITREP: The XO Captain Hal Jorden and I have chosen a place for our shore leave and we have arrived at our destination, The Resort planet Everflow in the Pirandia Sector. There are lot of fun activities in this social setting. There are beaches, clear water, sunshine, social events, games , activities, and real alcoholic drinks! There are people here of many different races and from many different planets, and it seems everyone is here with the same goal to relax and enjoy.

This is just what the Durant crew needs after so many emotional ups and downs and stressful missions and situations. Battling dangerous insects, losing a crew member and then celebrating his death and life with his family, flying through a shrinking wormhole, the ship overrun with out of control plant growth getting into the ship's operating systems, and three crew members being used as surrogates to birth the Irzeds royal babies and then having to give up the babies they had helped to bring into the universe.

The babies were growing fast, and could speak and comprehend very well, and they wanted to stay with their surrogate parents. The Durant was the only home they had ever known and their surrogate parents and the Durant crew the only family they had known, and the babies did not want to be parted from them. So leaving the babies behind was hard and a sad experience, but it was best for them to learn who and what they are so that they can fulfill their duties as rulers of their planet when they mature to adults in 7 years. This was a lot to go through, and it is time for the crew to de-stress, relax and enjoy themselves.

There is even a dating/mating game here if you want help meeting someone new to hangout with, or start a romance with. Let the games begin!

=OOC================================
SIM Concept: Evelyn Rieko and Sandra Lacrima
Historian: Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)
====================================
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Evelyn Rieko (Fleet Captain), CO
Narek Siva'nek (Lieutenant), Medical Officer ((narayansivananda))
Hal Jordan (Captain), XO ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Sandra Lacrima (Lieutenant JG), Security
Dan Hunsaker (Crewman 1st Class) Science
Syl Caproni (Ensign), Operations ((Sylvia Caproni))
Elsa Mitchell (Major), Marines ((Scottland78))
Selina Otsuka (LTjg) Helm

Left to right: Otsuka, Caproni, Siva'nek, Mitchell, Rieko, Jordan, Lacrima, Hunsaker
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Evelyn Rieko: It was a sad goodbye to my daughter Erica. It was very hard to say goodbye to her, although I do plan to see her again, and be involved in her life. To hear her screaming, and calling out to us was so sad. I stopped when I heard her call me mommy for the first time...but I could not go back. I started walking again and we went to the landing area and transported back to the ship. What the Irzeds did to us was wrong, but they still have hopes of joining the Federation one day. Maybe that will happen. Maybe our Royal babies will be the ones to make it happen. I was able to hold my tears back until I made it to my quarters, then I let the tears flow. Two other times, I had felt this deep sadness, when my father disappeared and I had to accept that he was gone and probably never coming back. I had to learn to live without him, and then when Jim Hode married the Queen of Cronon, I had to learn to live without him, or more accurately I had to let go of a dream, and now I have to learn to live without my baby girl. The bridge crew officers and I beam down to the resort planet. As the transporter beam shimmers and fades I look around at the resort and say, “This is just what we need, team! I've heard good things about this place, Everflow. They're expecting us."

Narek Siva'nek: It's a beautiful day and I am ready to relax. I stretch my body and take in the scents and sounds of this little islet system. I grew up next to the eastern shores of the Voroth, swimming, surfing, and scuba diving. I feel at home, and wander off to look about while the others figure out what they want to do. I love ocean waters. My planet is thought of as HOT, and inland it is. This balminess is my home's feeling of weather. "I am going to see what is around here," I announce, and begin to wander. I am a little worried about the Captain, but I know she will move on without the little ones now. I miss them too.

Hal Jordan materialized at the shore leave location and looked around. Before him was a beautiful green park-like setting. Behind him, the gleaming water of the planet's ocean crashed on the rocks. He was dressed only in a pair of shorts, and the grass tickled his bare feet in what seemed almost like a caress. The air carried the scent of growing plants, and was a bit richer in oxygen than the mixture they had been breathing on Durant. The gravity was slightly lower than Starfleet normal, too. The total effect made him feel instantly stronger and healthier, if that was possible. He had been unable to resist bringing along a tricorder, though. After what happened on the last shore leave, he thought he might need it.

Sandra Lacrima was excited for her first ever shore leave since she joined Starfleet... and she knew how well needed it was for her and her crewmates after the events of the past months. So when they arrived at the location XO Captain Jordan had chosen, the first thing she did after checking in at the resort, was to change into a suitable beach outfit and hit the beach and dive into the wonderful water and swim out into the sea to swim off her stress and sorrows.

Dan Hunsaker: Beaming down for some rest and relaxation sounds great in theory, but in practice... It just makes them itch a bit. Still, orders are orders, and the current orders are to rest and relax, so they'll do their best to comply. No promises.

Syl Caproni sighs as the beam fades away and the greenery comes into view. At first she jerks almost involuntarily, then side eyes some of the vegetation, to watch and make sure it's not growing too fast. Pushing those crazy worries aside, she muses about how the past crunch time prepping for this shore leave has left her in desperate need for the same. Her first posting in Starfleet has raised more questions than answers, and all she can do is "go with the flow" as her old friend used to say. Blinking a bit, she takes in more of the area around her, and moves away from the pack a few steps for some much-needed breathing air. Close spaces are not her friend, and an interesting job she chose with that particular issue. Spying a hookah, she rolls her eyes and starts to chuckle, not quite entirely silently. Choosing to avoid THAT kind of recreation, she wanders further off alone.

Elsa Mitchell: After beaming down right behind Selina, I smiled, thinking how beautiful she looks. Then I looked around, seeing the rest of the crew. It was a bright sunny day, with beautiful water, the sand, and the smell of the sea. I started thinking that I can really get some R&R and take time to really get to know Lieutenant Otsuka in a more personal way.

Selina Otsuka waits a few seconds for the transporter effects to fade before opening her eyes. She smiles as she breathes in the crisp sea breeze. The familiar scent of brininess in the air, similar to her home on Risa, but somewhat different. She takes in another deep breath of the air and turns to the sound of the waves nearby. Selina has missed the ocean. Now she is glad that her CO has given the crew a much needed shore leave and is pleased that Everflow was picked. She is certainly excited to get into her bikini and into the clear and beautiful waters nearby. She looks around to each of the Durant crew nearby, smiling softly as she remembers how far she has come from the Academy and how each of them has helped her grow in her time on the Durant. Selina turns around to Elsa, smiling widely at the Marine. "I've read so much about this place, Major. What should we do first? I read that the wave breaks here are wicked."

Rieko: I made sure everyone was checked into the resort. Some were already enjoying themselves. It is great to be here, it's a chance for us to continue bonding as a crew. I look at the Activity board near the shimmering water, loaded with activities and call out, "We will not be doing any type of work here. There's a lot of fun things to do here. Are any of you going to participate in the Dating/Mating Game?" I laugh and continue. "There's an art gallery here, horse back riding, beach activities, jet skiing, surfing, scuba diving, golf, something called a fairy mound, a game room, and an underwater city. There's a monorail that takes you around to the different areas and a transporter." She clasps her hands together. "I'm going to go jet skiing! The teleporter board is over here."

Siva'nek: I listen to the Captain read off all the activities here and wonder what a Dating/Mating game is. I am ready to just look at everything and anything. It's so nice to get away from the sickbay and all the duties there and four walls of constant work. "It all sounds fascinating, Captain, I will go where my feet take me. Everyone, as your Doctor, I command that you relax and enjoy yourselves!" With that commandment I wander to see what there is to see. I feel happy to be by an ocean again. I do however wish it were just a bit hotter but I like it all the same.

Jordan couldn't resist a quick tricorder scan. Two of the Durant party had wandered off, but the rest were still in a group. There were about 30 life forms within scanning range, with the number increasing and decreasing as they arrived and departed. The ocean contained multiple life forms, but none apparently too interested in swimmers taking advantage of the warm water. Several flying creatures circled nearby but did not swoop down to attack. All in all, there were no obvious threats to be seen, but he always remembered Professor Dobrkovsky's lecture at the Academy. He spoke to the group of officers. "My Starfleet Academy professor once told us, 'The galaxy is not a safe place. Just when you think you have found a wonderful place to visit, a Denebian Slime Devil comes out from under a rock to bite your leg.' So we can enjoy ourselves and relax, mostly. The planet's life forms don't seem to be predatory, but there is no telling what might happen with some of the visitors. So have fun, but please be careful."

Lacrima swam almost a mile, then stopped and started to float in the water for a while, intently breathing in and out, inhaling the fresh yet slightly salty air. She closed her eyes for a while and felt the weight coming off. That's what she needed so badly and the Holodeck couldn't give her - the feeling of freedom. After a while she swam back to the beach and laid back in the sand, her feet digging in and playing with it, and began a warming sunbathe.

Hunsaker: As the crew began to disperse, they nervously looked around to see where everyone ended up. The last shore leave was right before they'd been pulled from duty for several months. So now this all feels vaguely ... ominous. The others seem in high enough spirits, at least? Well, except the XO. He seems almost as nervous as they do. Steeling themselves, they head to the activities board to see what they might be able to lose themselves in, here.

Mitchell goes out on the water jet skiing with Selina, getting to know more about her than before.

Otsuka laughs heartily, holding on for dear life behind Elsa on the jet ski. It's been awhile since she had as much fun as now. The wind in her face is exhilarating. The taste of the sea on her lips reminds her of home so much. "This is great Elsa! Wheee! Not so fast!! Look out for the rocks!!"

Rieko: After an enjoyable time jet skiing I decide to explore the caves. I tap my combadge. ^= Captain Rieko here. Everyone, let's meet at the Truth caves. I will be waiting for you. The brochures state that it is a fun experience that will test your survival skills, and it is a maze. There is a natural gas in there that is not harmful, but will relax you. Anyone that wants to enter with me as a group, come to this area. This is not an order. Continue what you are doing if you like. Rieko out=^= I wait as the officers arrive...and we walk into the caves.

Siva'nek: I have had a nice run through the island to see what's about. I caught up to the group and stretched, then looked at my fit bit type of watch to see how my blood pressure and other things were doing. Looking good, I love to run. I will explore the caves with the others, then go surfing. I miss surfing like I do on Vulcan. I know it's strange to some, but we do have oceans and enjoy them. "Well, let's see what is going on in the dark dank caves?" I am rather animated but I love exercising. Deep breathing and oxygenated air!

Jordan walked over to the teleport board and touched the destination that said "Ghost Town." He wondered if there would be real ghosts there. He materialized near a rocky path and walked over to some ramshackle buildings. Moving around on the boardwalks and stairs, he noticed unsafe gaps in the wooden construction, but the gaps were cleverly bridged by force fields so no one would fall through. Hal approved of the safety measures! There was very little of interest inside the ancient dwellings, just a few broken pottery shards and tipped over chairs. He walked over to the area where the caves were located and found that most of the crew had already assembled there. "So, are we going to go spelunking? I haven't had any spelunk time in many years. Maybe we will encounter some of those infamous Cave Mermaids. First they will lure us in with their beautiful siren songs (although sirens are completely different creatures). Then they will capture us and have their way with us, so to speak. Then when we are done is the time that they will do unspeakable things which are only hinted at in mythology." He stopped talking and tried to remember what mermaids were supposed to have done with their victims after their way was had. Nothing specific came to mind so he shrugged and looked around curiously.

Lacrima: After relaxing on the beach for over an hour, Lacrima decided she had calmed down enough and it was time to get active again, so the sporty and lively Lieutenant chose some activities offered at the resort. She began with diving, which she loved when she was younger. The diving grounds were beautiful and she even had close contact with a calm and peaceful whale. Afterwards she tested her surfing skills, till Captain Rieko called her and the rest of the crew to meet at the caves.

Hunsaker: After wandering for a bit past a series of waterfalls, they hear the summons from the CO. A harmless gas in a place called the Truth Caves sounds ... potentially awkward. But, it's better than wandering aimlessly and wondering about everyone's welfare. So, off they trudge to reach the caves at the coordinates the CO provided in her message.

Caproni enjoys solitude with the water in her face and the wind rushing through her hair, then the Captain's request comes over her comm. Biting her lower lip, she contemplates her options: her single most favorite pastime on the water, or... duty. Promising the boat that she'll be back as soon as she can, Caproni pulls in and moors, then hops out onto the sand, making her way over to the vegetation in front of the Truth Caves with curiosity.

Mitchell: When Selina and I arrive from the beach to the cave, looking at the cave asking, "Are we going in there?" Reaches for Selina's hand to hold it, smiles, "Let's go, dear."

Otsuka coughs and spits water out and regrets having her mouth wide open and screaming her lungs out from the excitement of riding behind Elsa on the jet ski. She taps Elsa on the shoulder as she hears the comms come on, it's their Captain. "Major, Captain Rieko may have somewhere exciting to explore, let's head over to the caves she speaks about. I'm game for maze exploring."

Rieko: "Okay, these caves test your survival skills and sense of direction," I say as I walk into the cave entrance and feel a breeze blow over me. I look at the group, "There is overhead lighting, but it’s dim and may be non-existent in some areas so there are also torches to light our way... you can grab one if you like." I pick up a torch and light it using the one on the wall, and continue walking. There's something eerie about the cave. It gives me the feeling like someone could actually get lost in here and never heard from again. "Let's look around." I look to Hal, "This reminds me of when Commander Sprout got lost in those caves at Paradise Oasis. Luckily we found him. So everyone stay together." She walks on and suddenly feels the relaxed feeling she had read about in the resort brochure. "Does anyone else feel... good, suddenly? Very nice feeling."

Siva'nek: Walking into the cave entrance behind the Captain, I wait a moment for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. I smell the dank dusky smells and something sweet, ash in the air. I suck in a deep breath and it hits me hard traveling down all my alveoli in my lungs. I feel light headed and kind of "happy," and I start to dance a bit, oblivious to those around me. I feel pretty darn good actually. Oh yeah this is the good stuff I am not aware of my facial expressions as I grin and wink about. "Oh, this is very INTERESTING," I blurted. I wanted to forget the little ones' departure... now I just feel, what is this... High? Oh yeah. I wink at the girls and boys again.

Jordan pulled out his tricorder and set it to tracking mode. It would record its current location and save the path they followed to make it easy to retrace their steps. Hal was certain that there was no danger in this fairly safe paradise, but he was taking no chances. If the group became separated, he could track individual members through the rock walls. "Oh boy, this looks interesting, and since someone very kindly installed overhead lighting, there is no need for helmet lights, as long as the overhead lighting keeps working. It is dim lighting though. And yes, now that you mention it, I do feel a mild euphoria. Maybe it's some kind of tranquilizing gas to calm the claustrophobia victims." He looked back toward the cave's entrance, remembering the exploration of those other caves so long ago where the creepy crawly creatures would dart out from behind the rocks to bite with their sharp teeth. A shiver ran down his spine in spite of the euphoria.

Lacrima grabbed a torch as advised by Captain Rieko and lit it as she did. She noticed the strange, euphoric behavior shown by the other crew members and couldn't understand what was happening to them. She didn't feel more or less euphoric than usual, so she shrugged and headed on deeper into the caves.

Hunsaker: As the euphoria gas washed over them, they finally started to relax. It had been too long since they'd been able to do that. Though the feeling wasn't as strong as they'd actually call it "euphoria," it was calming and nice. Maybe it was all the worry at the back of their mind that kept them from feeling the full effects? Or maybe the fear that the cave's name was more accurate than it seemed? Truth is a potent weapon in the wrong hands.

Caproni followed along with the rest of the group, inwardly musing to herself about how lemmings sometimes find themselves in trouble this way, and tried to commit various unique markings on the walls to memory. The gas didn't make it any easier, as she worked hard to keep complete control over her brain, not liking the feeling of being affected one bit. Thinking back to her relaxing time on the boat, she pads along, ignoring her own tricorder though she did bring one, as the XO was far more expert with his, she thought. Small spaces... small spaces.... oh yummy...... Grabbing a torch and lighting it, she proceeds with her comrades.

Mitchell holds Selina's hand to keep her safe so if you get lost it will be with me where you're not alone. Thinking how strange it was that the Captain brought us to this place, but glad I am here with the crew and enjoying the time spent with Lieutenant Otsuka.

Otsuka blinks, letting her eyes get used to the darkness of the caves. She looks up, deliberately sniffing the damp air around her and scrunches her nose a bit. "Smells funny in here," she heard herself say. She takes up a torch as her Captain suggested and allows the flame to light her surroundings. She notices some runic carvings on some nearby rocks and steps towards it for a closer look. Selina traces the grooves under her fingers... "Hmm... these remind me of some hieroglyphs I've seen in the ship's database, but..." She stops to gather her thoughts but is somewhat distracted by Elsa's hand holding on to her own. She shakes her head slightly, trying to clear her mind, but decides to let it rest. She is enjoying herself exploring the cave. Surprisingly, the experience is giving her a familiar high, like the herbal incense that she enjoys back on Risa.

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Fleet Captain
Command - Fleet Captain

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Evelyn Rieko (Fleet Captain), CO

Evelyn Rieko (Fleet Captain), CO on her jet ski

Narek Siva'nek (Lieutenant), Medical Officer ((narayansivananda))

Narek Siva'nek (Lieutenant), Medical Officer ((narayansivananda)), hang gliding

Hal Jordan (Captain), XO ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Sandra Lacrima (Lieutenant JG), Security

Sandra Lacrima (Lieutenant JG), Security, doing a Deep Dive

Dan Hunsaker (Crewman 1st Class) Science

Dan Hunsaker (Crewman 1st Class) Science with waterfalls

Syl Caproni (Ensign), Operations ((Sylvia Caproni))

Syl Caproni (Ensign), Operations ((Sylvia Caproni)) in her sailboat

Elsa Mitchell (Major), Marines ((Scottland78))

Selina Otsuka (LTjg) Helm

Selina Otsuka (LTjg) Helm riding the Everflow pipe

Elsa Mitchell (Major), Marines ((Scottland78)) and Selina Otsuka (LTjg) Helm waiting for the next wave at Everflow

The Shore Leave team at the cave entrance

The Shore Leave team enters the cave

The Shore Leave team deep in the cave

The Shore Leave team deep in the cave

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”