TDRP2139-D: "Measure for Measure" (210821) TF Gemini

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We are para-RPers and storytellers. Using live, in-the-moment chat, we listen, read, respond, and create a new story as a collective of writers jamming on a theme. We are given a context – a place to begin and then improvise together what happens next, and what happens after that… and where does that take us.
That sense of being in fellowship with other creative people who understand the overall context and environment while writing a story that is vibrant and alive creates a sense of enjoyment and togetherness. Our goal on Durant is to foster that sense of belonging, to embrace good RP etiquette, and to have tons of fun!

Roleplay Times: Saturdays 9:00am SLT, 1st & 3rd Tuesdays 5:00pm SLT, last Fridays 10:00am SLT
Commanding Officer: Evelyn Rieko
Executive Officer: Greenlantern Excelsior

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Intelligence - Vice Admiral
Intelligence - Vice Admiral
Duty Post: Chief Intel/2nd Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

=====OOC======
Sat August 21, 2021
OOC Preparation
MISSION TDRP2139-D (Durant)
==============

STARDATE: 210821
CREW CALL TIME: 9:00am SLT Sharp

LOCATION TO MEET: Durant
RP STARTS: On the bridge.

WHAT TO WEAR:
UFS Duty Uniform
Durant Chat Relay

MISSION LEAD/GM: Capt Rieko

POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).

ARRIVING LATE? Ensure to enter the scene in a logical manner.
NEED TO LEAVE EARLY? Justify your exit.

PROPER ADDRESS: Our XO is addressed as Captain Rieko or XO or Exec. Our Chief Intel/SO is addressed as Captain Jordan. Our CO is addressed as Admiral or Admiral Toocool or Captain Toocool. Please don't use "Captain" without a surname as we won't know who you are addressing ;)

SITREP: A Task Force was established by Starfleet Command. The USS Taylorholic Durant was ordered to rendezvous with a Federation Shuttlecraft in Sector 001C (Parein) in order to receive new orders, but is now late for that meeting due to unexpected events.

YOU SHOULD HAVE READ:
TDRP2138-D: "Detour" (210814) TF Gemini
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=33103&p=210066#p210066

LCARS:
https://wiki.ufstarfleet.org/index.php? ... Sector_Map
https://wiki.ufstarfleet.org/index.php? ... ein_Sector

OOC================================
SIM Concept: Poison Toocool & Evelyn Rieko
Historian: Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)
====================================
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Evelyn Rieko (Captain), XO
Narek Siva'nek (Lieutenant), Medical Officer (narayansivananda)
Hal Jordan (Captain), Helm/Second Officer ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Federation Shuttlecraft SC992/Russell Sprout ((Poison Toocool))

Left to right: Jordan, Rieko, Sprout, Siva'nek
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Evelyn Rieko paced in front of her chair. She had given the order to launch the probe and they had started on their way to the rendezvous point to meet the shuttle carrying the VIP. She hoped the person was not going to be a prima donna type that went on and on about Durant being late. She was the Captain and she made the decision to investigate that sphere, and she still felt it was the right thing to do. She looked to Narek, "Doctor, did you receive the data from Science about the level of radiation in this sector? Report please." She looks to Helm, "Captain Jordan, what is the ETA to the rendezvous with the Federation shuttle?"

Narek Siva'nek: Quietly working on my tasks, checking the environmental conditions of the ship when I hear the Captain's request. I glance over the information one more time on my console, then reply. "Yes Sir, I have stats on the radiation levels upcoming and things currently are within normal acceptable ranges." My fingers quickly tap on my console with familiarity and confidence.

Hal Jordan sat at the helm, happy to be controlling Durant's flight path once again. It was always good to refresh his Flight Control Officer knowledge, even though it was one of the first watchstations that a crew member could be assigned to. He ran a quick low level diagnostic and was glad to see that everything was operating normally. "ETA to shuttle rendezvous is thirty-two minutes, sir."

Shuttlecraft 992: =^= <static> Federation <static> craft calling the U <static> ..rant, do you read. =^=

Rieko hears the static filled message from the Shuttlecraft. "Captain Jordan, see if you can clear the static from that message as best you can, trying different subspace frequencies, and send a message back, =^= This is Captain Evelyn Rieko of the USS Durant, we are unable to hear your message. We are on our way to the rendezvous point. We should arrive within 30 minutes =^=

Siva'nek sends instructions to sickbay to prepare and have anti-radiation hypo sprays ready in case of a radiation spike. I also send report requests for sickbay supplies and check how the medical staff is coming along. Keeps my ear alert to the Captain's order. My hope for this trip is that it will be a bit smoother sailing than the Durant has had for the last few months. Looking around the bridge at the crew quietly doing their jobs. The Captain is a little tense but this mystery guest we are about to meet has us all curious and a bit nervous.

Jordan turned to the communications section of his console and attempted to clean up the shuttle's audio signal. He cut in various low pass and high pass filters, noise blankers, noise reduction algorithms, narrow bandwidth filters, and everything else he could think of. The shuttle's message became slightly clearer, but the audio was still intermittent. "Sir, that's the best I can do to clear up the static. I guess it's not surprising to have communications problems since we're this far away from them. We should be hearing a much stronger signal within just a few minutes."

Shuttlecraft 992: =^= <static> Federation <static> craft calling the U <static> ..rant, do you read. We detect a <static> field, cannot determine your location. Borg sphere <static>? =^=

Rieko sits in her chair and taps her PADD, she says out loud, "We have received some telemetry from the probe, thank you Science. The substance the sphere is made of is... inconclusive. It has heated to 40.1ºC slightly above the 39.1ºC Crewman Hunsaker reported from the sensor readings. The sphere has not exploded as I thought it was about to before we left the area, so that's good." She stops and listens to Hal's report. "Okay, Captain Jordan, do the best you can, and as we get nearer we should be able to... " She stops as the intermittent message comes across, still in static but she hears 'Borg Sphere.' "Borg sphere! The message stated Borg sphere.... I think they are warning us... " She felt confused. There were no Borg here ... the Durant had found an abandoned Borg cube on a mission a while back.. but the Borg.. here? Now? "Tactical, sweep the area for any sign of a Borg sphere or any vessels in the area. Helm, what is the current ETA?"

Siva'nek: My blood pulses quicker at the word "BORG" from the report coming in, turning my ears a hot green. I try not to let my worry show, having seen the wiry mess it creates in the body when one has been "absorbed", and it never goes away, incurable you might say. Listens to the Captain's orders and feels the tension level rise on the bridge in all of us. I read the incoming lists somewhat absentmindedly, my ears open, as we try to figure what this Sphere may be. Looks over to the Captain, prepared for any requests or instructions she may have for me.

Jordan furrowed his brows and sat up a bit straighter in his chair as he heard the shuttle pilot say "Borg sphere." The pilot had also mentioned detecting some sort of field, so Hal looked at what his deflectors were telling him. "Durant is also detecting a field, sir, but it's behind us, presumably coming from that sphere we found. The shuttle's sensors aren't as sophisticated as ours, so it's to be expected that they can only tell that something is there but not what it is." He runs a quick tactical sweep. "Tactical detects no vessels in the area, especially not a Borg sphere, but we are detecting the shuttle far ahead of us and the sphere far behind. ETA to shuttle rendezvous is twenty two minutes. I adjusted some of the communications settings without success. There is so much static in this area. It seems to have no source. It's just coming from all around us."

Rieko: "Yes, so much static, it seems maybe there's someone jamming the airwaves, no anomaly has been reported." She stopped pacing and said, "No vessels in the area and no Borg sphere, but I distinctly heard Borg sphere, didn't you, Captain? Doctor? Let's just stay alert and prepared for anything. Yellow Alert!"

Siva'nek sits up a bit straighter at the Yellow Alert klaxon starting up. Seeing the Captain was no longer creating a rut in the bridge flooring from her pacing I send instructions to be prepared for anything upcoming with the words "possible Borg" included. Responding to the Captain's probing question I reply, "Yes Sir, I distinctly heard the word Borg and Sphere in the same sentence in that last communication. I do hope that is not what we may be facing but I am preparing sick bay in case we end up in a violent conflict." I look at the Captain and then to the front view screen trying to see anything but only seeing stars.

Jordan thought about some of his past Borg encounters. Most Delta Quadrant Borg were no longer the fearsome assimilation machines that they had been in the past. They had turned into mostly pacifists, fully aware of their past actions and sincerely willing to make amends. Many of them had been uncyborged or deborgified or whatever the current term was. His console beeped and he turned toward the deflector scan section. His eyes widened. "Sir, I am now detecting several vessels, apparently emerging from the area surrounding the sphere behind us. Sensors show four... no, five vessels, configuration similar to Borg spheres. I am also seeing weapons fire between some of the vessels. Is this a Borg Civil War?"

Shuttlecraft 992: =^= <static> Federation <static> craft calling the Durant, be advised Borg <static> we are changing course to one, five, nine mark ten. Increasing speed to warp two. <static> behind us. =^=

Rieko listens to Hal's report, "Red Alert!! The Borg! So strange that they are here as a collective, flying again." She blinked rapidly and swallowed her nervousness, calmed herself. "I guess they are back in business, assimilating victims. Resistance is futile, they said." She waited to hear that terrible message come across comms. "Resistance is futile. We beat the Borg before and we can do it again, but how did this happen? Where were they to come out of hiding now! Helm, change course to the new coordinates one, five, nine mark ten."

Siva'nek listens to Hal's report and query. Relays a message to sick bay that open fire is occurring between vessels near the strange sphere. Go to status 3 in preparation in case we are drawn into this odd altercation. Borg! I hear the deep concern in the Captain's voice and make a quick reading check on her physical stats on my console, doing well considering. "Sir, sickbay is prepared for any conflict. I do hope we avoid that." I try to make my voice calm though I am feeling apprehension. Why are the ships firing on each other and no message of assimilation toward us? Are these the pacifists and assimilators fighting each other? I just sit and wait ready, I feel the tension on the bridge rise somewhat as we all sit and wait and watch.

Jordan heard the shuttle's message, now with less static due to the reduced distance. Borg here, Borg there, but not Borg everywhere, he hoped. Even Durant's powerful shields could not withstand a determined attack from several Borg vessels. But so far they seemed to be attacking only each other, so maybe Durant would dodge the proverbial bullet. He checked the sensor display again and reported. "Sir, I see now why the shuttle changed course. Several Borg spheres have appeared on our sensors at extreme range off to one side of the shuttle. Coming to new heading 159 mark 10, ETA 12 minutes."

Shuttlecraft 992: =^= <static> 992 to Durant. Several vessels <static> urgent rendezvous <static> losing powerrrr <static> Borg <static> <static> they <static> Bech, repeat, Becccc…. <static> request assissss… <static> =^=

Rieko: "Tactical, can we get a lock on the occupants in the shuttle? Helm, send a message =^= We are nearing the new coordinates. We will rescue you. I repeat, we will rescue you! =^= "Captain Jordan, contact the transporter room. I want those people transported to Durant. As soon as we are in range, lower the shields and transport them. Something is happening, it seems they are under attack!"

Siva'nek: I quietly hope that the shuttle craft is not attacked and assimilated and we lose the people on it to the Borg. I have faith and confidence in Hal's helm skills and our entire crew's professional abilities, but the Borg are such an aggressive enemy. I can do nothing but sit, wait, and watch as people go into action. My ears are still green with tension.

Jordan heard the new message from the shuttle and also heard very clearly the urgent emotion in the pilot's voice. A Borg sphere could easily catch the small shuttlecraft and assimilate the pilot. The XO was ordering exactly the actions that Hal himself would order under the circumstances. "We have an intermittent lock on the shuttle occupants right now, sir. There's too much static and energy disruption in the area for a stable connection. Transporter room is standing by for transport whenever they get a good lock. Shields are up and our weapons are ready for action. Rescue message sent to the shuttle."

Shuttlecraft 992: =^= <static> 992 to Durant. <static> jamming your signal <static> do youuu <static> closing <static> <static> location <static> the ship <static> save the <static> =^=

Rieko looked to Helm. "Captain Jordan, I don't think the shuttlecraft received our message. They said the signal is being jammed by the Borg! Send it out on a continuous loop until we have them aboard."

Siva'nek waits with the typical calm exterior of a Vulcan but inwardly worried and concerned. We are all worried. Calmly saying, "Sir, Sickbay and medical staff are on alert and ready. I do hope we won't need our skills today." I sit and listen to the Shuttle's jammed messages, feeling a bit helpless as they are being attacked.

Jordan tapped commands into the COMM console, PREV MSG > RESEND > LOOP, and reported. "Previous message resending and looping, sir. As we approach, our sensors are becoming more swamped by local interference, but we are also receiving more information about the Borg spheres ahead. Borg vessels in the past have emitted green light, but some of the nearby spheres are emitting orange light instead. The spheres ahead appear to be firing on each other just like the ones behind us, and it looks like the battle is green against orange. We have received no communication from either 'faction' so far."

Shuttlecraft 992: =^= <static> 992 to Durant. <static> suggest evasive maneuvers <static> avoid contact with <static> Bech <static> <static> leave us behind <static> take care <static> save the Durant, do not let it fall into <static> hands. Do you read? =^=

Rieko starts pacing again. "Firing at each other? They have not fired on us yet, and there's no message that resistance is futile. It seems they are not interested in us, instead fighting each other. This is all so strange. Transporter chief has his orders and will transport the occupants of the shuttle as soon as we are in range, dropping shields to get the arrivals and immediately shields back up."

Siva'nek: Sitting straight in my chair I hear the fatal message from the shuttle but still hope they can somehow escape the ensuing battle between the colored spheres. 'Never give up,' I think. The Captain has resumed making a long rut in the bridge floor. I watch her body movements, but I see she is in control of herself. We are all nervous and want our people back! So far the Borg are not interested in assimilation. Maybe Hal is correct in asking if this is a Borg Civil War. I can only sit and wait for orders if anything starts to explode in our direction. Please, I pray to the Vulcan Gods, get our people back on board.

Jordan was infused with a sudden respect for the shuttle pilot after his latest transmission. The man was offering to sacrifice himself and become a Borg rather than let Durant be captured. It was considered to be a fate worse than death to become a Borg drone, and he chose it for the good of Starfleet. That was the action of a true Federation warrior. Hal knew that he himself would not go quietly, either. They would find him with an empty phaser power pack in a pile of dead Borg bodies. Hal must have had some Klingon blood in his ancestry, because going out in a blaze of glory like that was something he aspired to. "Approaching the shuttle now, sir. The Transporter Room should have a lock at any moment. Still no aggressive action from the Borg toward us or the shuttle.”

=^= Transporter Room One to Bridge. Reporting we have transported three personnel from Federation ShuttleCraft 992 to Durant. They are safely aboard, Sir. =^=

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Command - Captain
Command - Captain

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Evelyn Rieko (Captain), XO

Narek Siva'nek (Lieutenant), Medical Officer (narayansivananda)

Hal Jordan (Captain), Helm/Second Officer ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Durant Bridge

Durant Bridge, Yellow Alert

Durant Bridge, Red Alert

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”