:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket via Discord server or email compops@ufstarfleet.org (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

USS T-Durant Mission TDRP1736: “Midnight at the Oasis" (190915)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sundays 11:15am SLT
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

=====OOC======
DURANT MISSION TDRP1736
Sun Sept 15, 2019
OOC Preparation

==============

STARDATE: 190915
CREW CALL TIME: 1115 SLT
LOCATION TO MEET: Durant
RP LOCATION: Transporter Toom
MISSION LEAD/GM: Cmdr Rieko (XO)

WHAT TO WEAR:
2400's casual holiday attire, combadges

WHAT TO KNOW:
-the ship is: in orbit of Sephori
-alert level is: normal
-we left Pinastri 6 weeks ago
-we are currently on patrol in Telos Sector
-17 light-years from Pinastri

**You should have read:
“Vanished Paradise" (190908)
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=31554

POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).
MISSION TIME: Please be ready & prepared & in place for RP to start at 1130 SLT

IC PREMISE: The Captain agreed to Commander Rieko's suggestion that the crew deserves some shore leave after their collective experience with a temporal anomaly. The ship is now in orbit around Planet Sephori in the Telos Sector. The XO has taken a group of bridge officers down to the 'Paradise Oasis' to relax and explore. But is everything as serene and beautiful as it seems?

=OOC================================
SIM Concept: Evelyn Rieko
Historian: Hal Jordan (GreenLantern Excelsior)
====================================

=====OOC======
ARRIVING LATE? Contact the Mission Lead when you arrive, and wait to be instructed on Post Order & Story before speaking in Local. Come up with a reason why your character would be entering the scene at the appointed time and include it in your first post.
LEAVING EARLY? You need to post out. Come up with a reason why your character would be leaving the scene. Ask for permission to go to your department, for example (RP etiquette also says it’s nice if you wait to see the replies before you actually remove your avatar from the scene).
=====OOC======
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Evelyn Rieko (Cmdr), XO/Chief Science
Hal Jordan (Capt), Intelligence ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Rachel Stoneberry, Resort Owner ((Leninah))
Wadi, Resort Host ((Poison Toocool))
George, Resort Guest ((Jorden Allen))

Left to right: Jordan, Rieko, attractive barmaid, Stoneberry, Wadi, George
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Evelyn Rieko waited for the rest of the bridge crew to join her. She spent the time looking around. It was a huge hotel and it became a maze to her at some point, but now she felt she knew her way around pretty well, and there were teleport areas if needed. She saw Hal coming toward her and waved. She asked the bartender for a slice of watermelon and it was sweet and delicious. She thought she was late, but she was the first one to arrive. She waves again, "Hal over here," she says not too loudly. She does not want to seem rude. Then she looks around and sees Mrs. Stoneberry coming toward her.. with someone tagging along

Hal Jordan walks into the bar room, taking in the surroundings. The place has the look of a medieval castle, but with extras! In two corners of the huge room, waterfalls cascade down vine-covered stone walls into pools. The resultant mist permeates the room, carrying the pleasant scent of greenery. The air temperature is slightly cooler than it was on the beach. There are seating areas in several parts of the room and the feel of it all seems very comfortable. He waves back at Evelyn as he approaches. "This place looks like a nice hangout. With these snacks and drinks and comfortable chairs, I might not want to leave!"

Rachel walks up gracefully to the group smiling from a distance and as she gets closer Rachel holds her arms out wide and declares quite loudly "Welcome to Paradise Oasis! And for those returning Welcome Back! Glad to have you all with us and I want to wish you all a pleasant peaceful relaxing time with us, and please know all of the staff here are here purposefully to make that your experience and fill you with fond memories of your time here at Paradise Oasis." She pauses and looks around the group. "You are free to explore to your heart's content, anywhere you wish, however please look out for the 'Red Palm' signs and avoid these areas." Turns to smile at Wadi and indicating to him with both arms. "My highly knowledgeable and friendly assistant Wadi is here to help you with anything you wish. There's very little about the oasis he doesn't know, and what he doesn't know neither do I!" Rachel laughs charmingly and opens her arms in a gracious welcoming gesture. "Please, enjoy your stay with us! We are here to please."

George is following closely by Rachel, somewhat disappointed that they had been called away from their planned walk around the hotel, but such was George's luck with women. He hopes this exchange will pass quickly, and feigns a smile to the unfamiliar faces.

Wadi probably had a dozen other things he should or could be doing. Be darned if he'd leave Mrs Stoneberry with this pestering guest, no matter what she said. He cast his eye over the trailing plants draped artfully over the water fountains to ensure any withered leaves had been removed, and eyed the flagstones to be sure they had been swept vigorously in the early morning in preparation for the day. He tsk tsk'd a couple of times seeing the sand that had been tracked in already. Then he looked to Rachel, and bowed to the guests as she introduced him, pleased that she acknowledged his presence, and extra pleased she had said 'highly knowledgeable' which was true, of course... still nice to be acknowledged. "Always happy to help," he murmured in what he imagined was a charming manner.

Rieko finishes her watermelon slice and throws the rind into a trash barrel near the side of the bar. She cleans her hands on the little napkins on the bar. She looks to Hal as he joins her and smiles happily, "Yes, I agree, this place is lovely but so huge! A lovely maze, but I'm learning my way around. It is lovely and comfortable. She remembers something, "Oh, Hal, Nems is ill, she told me she will rest in her room, probably because she had too much alcohol and too much sun. This is real alcohol they serve here. So, you better be careful... we don't want to spend our shore leave sleeping." She laughs a little. Looks to the owner, and says. Thank you very much for the warm welcome!" She looks over the guy next to the owner and wonders what their connection is. She looks to the assistant and says "Thank you too, Mister...? Your name, please?"

Jordan turns to greet the resort owner and his assistant and the other individual, and tries not to react when the term "Red Palm" is mentioned. The intense curiosity and thirst for knowledge of a Starfleet Intelligence officer asserts itself. He couldn't resist asking about it, just as he couldn't resist taking his next breath. "Thanks for the greeting," he says to the owner. "You have a beautiful resort here. I would be neglecting my duty if I didn't ask about the Red Palm areas. What is inside? Dangerous animals? Toxic plants? State secrets?" He turns to the third individual. "Hi, my name's Hal, it's nice to meet you." Then he says to Evelyn "Yes, Nems did indulge in the drinks earlier, didn't she? I hope she visits sick bay to get that hangover taken care of."

Rachel looks around noticing Wadi's usual diligent attention to detail as he tsk'd at some things not exactly right, which drew a satisfying smile from her. Turning, she couldn't miss George, who always seemed to be quite close. She smiled at him, making eye contact as anyone in the sales/service business was taught to do. Makes a hand gesture to the barmaid with a disapproving motioning of her eyes to encourage her to serve actively rather than stand there like a plant. Getting no response, she wandered gracefully up to her and whispered in her ear "Ask them what they would like to drink. Tell them what delicious treats you have. Are you new here?" She looks up at the man questioning the Red Palm and, smiling, looks immediately to Wadi as if to ask if he wanted to explain that.

George catches Evelyn's glance and ignores it, not wanting to prolong the exchange. He looks to Rachel and smiles, adding 'Yes, quite lovely place, attracting people from all over the quadrant.' He follows not too far behind, adding to Rachel 'Can I offer a drink, perhaps, Mrs Stoneberry?'

Wadi nodded to a passing staff member, eyeing the floor with raised eyebrows. She indicated she understood. She would not run and get a brush immediately since there were guests in the bar, but at an opportune time a wet broom would be used to collect the grains of sand and remove them from the stones. Cleanliness was one of his strict rules. He inspected the cottages and other areas daily. Everyone knew it. He watched Evelyn toss her watermelon rind into the wastebasket and winced. As it was organic material, it was supposed to go in that receptacle. But he said nothing. Someone would fish it out later and put it right. The guests from the starship were mostly human, and rather familiar, but perhaps this was how they behaved on Earth. He bowed again, "I am known as Manager Waditoloritanaskiaphiea of Paradise Oasis. But you all," he smiled in a smarmy manner, "may address me as Wadi." To Hal he replied, "It's simply our way of ensuring the privacy of guests who have chosen to be secluded."

Attractive barmaid: "Greetings and Felicitations Evelyn Rieko! What can I fetch for thee? I'll pop a fresh cork right now! Tis' for thee, just touch it to take it."

Rieko walks over and gets a glass of merlot wine from the barmaid. She thanks the woman and stifles a giggle. The barmaid is rubbing her hips and arms, and seems to be turning herself on. She did to steal glances at Hal. With him showing off his muscles and abs, no wonder she was getting hot. She smiled, and looked to Hal, "I think the barmaid is admiring your body, Hal," She laughs a little, then says, "You know Hal, Sprout is awfully late. It's not like him to be late for anything. I wonder what is holding him up. I'm getting worried." She glances at Wadi and the others. "I'm Evelyn Rieko of the Starship Durant. Happy to meet you all." She notes only the owner seems happy to meet her. Wadi seems irritated with her for no reason. Oh well, too bad.

Attractive barmaid: "Greetings and Felicitations Hal Jordan! What can I fetch for thee? One Mug O' Mead right away! Tis' for thee, just touch it to take it."

Jordan walks up to the bar and asks the attractive barkeep for the house specialty. It turns out to be a "Mug O' Mead," which goes down smoothly with no bitter after-taste. He eyes the native assistant who has given a somewhat unsatisfactory answer to Hal's request for information. But it doesn't matter. Hal still has his tricorder and the will to use it. After all, it would be a dereliction of duty if he didn't scan for potential hazards and write a report for subsequent Starfleet shore leave parties. He finishes the mead and sets the empty mug on the bar with a wink and a smile to the bartender. "I was wondering about Russell too. He said he wanted to be here, but he is taking his own sweet time about it. Didn't he rent a cabin here?"

Rachel picks up from Wadi's short response to the question of the Red Palm "Yes that's quite right, our guests' privacy is of utmost importance to us, so if you see a symbol like this..." Walks over to a nearby pillar and points at the sign there... "Then you should avoid the area, and respect the privacy of others. You will find some of these signs in areas you go to not in view, and in your rooms, which you may use to secure your own privacy when you wish it." She pauses, feeling the question still needed some reassurance. "Don't worry, there's nothing dangerous on the Oasis. You are quite safe while with us." As she speaks, she gets the feeling the Hal one's attention isn't completely on her answer as she glances between him and the fidgety barmaid and looks to Wadi with a concerned expression she always gave when she wasn't entirely happy with something.

George notices Rachel not answering his offer for a drink, but puts it to her clearly being distracted by the other guests. He goes to take a cup of mead for himself, but finds it difficult to get the attention of the barmaid. Again, typical interactions with women for George. He shrugs, and leans against the bar, watching Rachel explain the house rules about the red palm business he had chosen to take at word.

Wadi watches as the staff work, making a mental note that the waitress whom Rachel had spoken to needed either more training or a better attitude. Either way he would be speaking to her at the first opportunity. They paid their staff well and expected them to work hard and provide a good experience for the guests. The Paradise owner certainly should not have to tell them what to do! For the most part he ignored the guests, probably already having too much to drink, as he heard that one of them was indisposed. In response to Rachel's look, he began to wax eloquent: "Do not worry about the odd area that is 'out of bounds.' We have so much for you to see and do!! There is diving by the reef (although best done in the morning when one is fresh), there are boat tours, guided walks through the local forest... much much for you to see. Or you may sit by the ocean or pool and relax, of course!"

Rieko Listens as Mrs. Stoneberry assures them the resort is safe, but she still feels her worry increasing as the minutes go by and Sprout has not shown up. She looks to Hal, "Yes Russell did rent a cabin." She softly nibbles her bottom lip and runs her fingers through the ends of her hair, then looks to Stoneberry and then Wadi and says, "One of our friends is late meeting us. He is a very punctual person, so we are worried about him. I'm glad you said there is nothing harmful here, but we need to check on him. His name is Russell Sprout. Could you check his cabin number and give it to us please?" She shakes her head a little, "I won't be able to relax until I know he is all right." She looks at them thinking, if Sprout's not in his cabin, the tricorders will come out.

Jordan looks at the sign indicated by Rachel, a representation of a red palm tree. It seems odd to use that symbol, since there are standard "Do not disturb" icons in use on resort planets across the galaxy. Maybe it is simply a local custom. Whatever it is, he can find a private place and use his tricorder to scan for the signs and discover what's behind them. If a resort guest is there, he can scan elsewhere without invading privacy. If something else is there, then his tricorder will tell the tale. It might also be worthwhile to question the attractive bartender about the signs. She seems to be looking his way more than necessary, so maybe she will be willing to give up some information if questioned in the right way. And Intelligence officers are very, very good at asking questions. He listens to Evelyn asking about Commander Sprout, and realizes that he should be using his tricorder right now to locate the missing officer. "Where is the nearest bathroom? That mead was delicious, but it went right through me."

Rachel takes George's arm after feeling she has assisted Wadi dealing with Hal's question, and more relaxed now his attention seems to be directed elsewhere and whispers "Sorry, yes thank you I would love a drink, maybe a Pineapple Festivale?" Moves with him towards the barmaid as she hears the concern expressed about the guest that is absent. Pauses her slow walk to the bar and glances around "Of course Wadi will provide the cabin number. If you wish to check up on your friend that's perfectly fine, you can call the cabin too. They are all connected to the comms system. You can of course use your scanning devices if it helps, please go ahead, we have nothing to hide." Then continues moving towards the bar with George.

George sighs as the other guests start to form a search and rescue party, probably for a fellow officer who had a few too many and is passed out in the forest. If they had come by starship, they ought to be able to find him by ships sensors, so perhaps they didn't want to embarrass him? He turns around and tries again to get a drink, still finding it difficult to distract the barmaid. He knocks on the table to distract her, which doesn't appear to work. Fortunately, Rachel's intervention appeared to draw some attention, and he orders the drinks for Rachel and himself, passing it over when it arrives.

Wadi: "Of course," he replied to Evelyn, "His cabin is just along the beach from the fire pit. Would you like me to go and check and see if he has fallen asleep or been detained for some reason?" No doubt the man had had too many cocktails and had collapsed in his room to recover from sun and alcohol. He had seen it enough times. He frowned slightly, thinking how silly those on holiday can be, far too much excess in the first day leading to some issues. "We also have a medical person on staff, if there are any issues with health we will take care of Mr Sprout right away." He's speaking to the guests but his eyes slide to where George is standing by Rachel, a spurt of envy in his heart.

Rieko frowns at Wadi's dismissive attitude, but then remembers this man does not know Sprout or any of them, so he doesn't understand why they would be worried. She looks to Hal, knowing he has brought his tricorder along. He never goes anywhere without it. Instead of calling the ship, she says to Hal, "Hal, use your tricorder to locate Sprout." She then looks to Wadi, and he seems more interested in the couple, the owner and the man with her, than he is interested in helping them find their friend, "Wadi, thanks for your offer, but I remembered that we have a way of locating him. Thanks anyway. She walks off a bit. "Hal, I will be waiting for you near the stairs," she says, remembering he has to go to the Rest Room. I will remain here until you come back."

Jordan smiles as Rachel gives permission to use their tricorders, but he has already made his excuse, and it would be out of character to suddenly not need the bathroom. He pulls out his tricorder and activates it. It was strange that no one pointed out the bathroom location for him, but the tricorder would find Red Palm areas and missing Durant crew members and bathroom facilities at the same time, a true multipurpose instrument. "Excuse me, I'll be right back," he says, as he walks in the direction of a small room that appears to have the correct plumbing setup for what he needs. He accidentally happens to notice the barmaid's elevated pulse rate as he leaves. He would definitely need to ask her some questions later. "Understood, see you soon," he says to Evelyn.

Rachel smiles at George "Thank you so much! Ooooh this is my favourite!" She giggles softly as she sips the drink, shifting the twizzle slightly to the left and pulling her hair strands back from the rim of the glass. Stealing moments to exchange intense glances with Wadi of things 'ina n-aonar' known to them as unwelcome possibilities, struggling to prevent a little more reservation creeping into her voice, but George is a good distraction for that, avoiding the need to be fully focusing on the issue at hand. She looks at the barmaid directly with such ice and coldness you wouldn't need any at all in the drink. Noticing the pair seem to feel they need to hide what they're doing to scan for their friend she quickly interject with a laugh, "You don't need to use the restroom unless you need to use the restroom. You may use your scanning devices here in the open. It's really not a problem for us."

George smiles as Rachel takes the drink, and notices the Starfleet officers deciding to, thankfully, find their wandering colleague on their own. He shakes his head and looks back at Rachel, muttering 'Starfleet types, they have such a sense of self-importance, and take things far too seriously. I'm sure 'needing the restroom' is right there in the Starfleet lack-of-Intelligence training manual.'

Wadi waits impatiently for instructions. Part of him wants to stay here and pry George away from Rachel. Why is she allowing his attentions? It wasn't fair, really. He'd stood by her through thick and thin. What had George done except attempt to order her a drink? Oh. Perhaps she was just being diplomatic? Didn't want to upset a paying guest? A smile flashed across his face. He listened and watched as Evelyn refused his offer, and the male guest went to the restroom. He tilted his head at a staff member, gesturing to the table and to the floor. She scurried to begin to tidy the table while another girl brought a broom. He gritted his teeth as Rachel giggled with George. "Don't miss that area," he snapped at the girl with the broom. Rachel's glances at him seemed to carry a meaning, whether it was 'go away and leave me alone' or 'help me get rid of this clod' he couldn't tell.

/con't
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

Rieko watched the people at the bar, Wadi seems to be irritated with the couple and the barmaid, and probably her and Hal too. He was a serious guy. Maybe if Stoneberry gave him a race or gave him a kiss it would make him happy. She then turned when she heard Hal approach, "Go ahead and scan for Sprout, Hal, even though I'm sure this will turn out to be much ado about nothing." She smiles, always the optimist, but she was also a scientist. She looks and waits as Hal starts his scans.

Jordan returns to the group, still scanning (the bathroom was clean and modern). There was no sign of Commander Sprout anywhere. And the Red Palm areas were...concerning. In some places there were Red Palm signs and nothing else - no people, no plants or animals, just empty rooms. But in three places, the signs were in close proximity to very unusual energy readings. The scan results were inconclusive, showing various kinds of charged particles and electromagnetic signatures that he had never seen before in one place. His tricorder was inadequate to determine exactly what was there, but Durant's sensors and Science staff would be able to get more information. "No sign of Commander Sprout using the tricorder," he said to Evelyn. "Request permission to call the ship and have them scan for him. Oh and by the way, I washed my hands."

Rachel leans slightly forwards closer to George. "Yes I know, but we all have our ways we are more comfortable with. If it makes them feel better to search themselves, that's fine, but we are set up to look for misplaced guests much better than they will be. We deal with it all the time, we always find them and its nothing untoward just the usual having too much fun kind of thing, but let them look, it keeps them feeling 'in control' which is good I suppose." Placing the glass onto the table. "If you will excuse me for just a moment, I'll be right back, I just have to have a word with Wadi?" Leaving George with a soft touch of her hand and a warm waft of her expensive perfume as she heads over to Wadi, glancing and waving her hand discreetly towards the back of the room for him to follow. Passing the returning Hal, says with a naughty smile "I do hope you used the three seashells."

George rolls his eyes as the Intelligence officer finally makes the intelligent decision to use ship's sensors, and takes a sip of his drink. He blushes as Rachel leaves, almost spilling the drink down himself, then puts it down to try and regain some composure. "Of course, Mrs Stoneberry."

Wadi shrugged his shoulders. Whatever scanning devices they used didn't matter to him. In the time they'd been discussing it he could have been down the stairs and at Mr Sprout's cabin, knocking on the door. It was all, as he heard a human guest say once, 'much ado about nothing,' and far be it from him to suggest they should check and see if any lady guests were missing too. "I can have staff check the boat dock and jet ski area, perhaps he's gone for a ride and gotten himself lost." He nods to Rachel, sure she's going to give some instructions about the waitress who had ignored the guests. And glad she'd left George to come talk to him.

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

MISSION IMAGES
=============

Evelyn Rieko (Cmdr), XO/Chief Science

Hal Jordan (Capt), Intelligence ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Rachel Stoneberry, Resort Owner ((Leninah))

Wadi, Resort Host ((Poison Toocool))

George, Resort Guest ((Jorden Allen))

The bar area of the resort

The mysterious Red Palm sign

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”