:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket to UFStarfleet Support! (Must be logged into the forums to use this)
or through the UFS Discord Support System (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

USS T-Durant Mission TDRP1734: “Quantum of Subspace" (190825)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sundays 11:15am SLT
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

=====OOC======
DURANT MISSION TDRP1734
Sun August 25, 2019
OOC Preparation

==============

STARDATE: 190825
CREW CALL TIME: 1115 SLT
LOCATION TO MEET: Durant
RP LOCATION: Bridge
MISSION LEAD/GM: LTCmdr Rieko (ICly, Acting XO)

WHAT TO WEAR:
Official UFS uniform

WHAT TO KNOW:
-the ship is: at stationkeeping
-alert level is: red
-we left Pinastri 5 weeks ago
-we are currently on patrol in Sector 010H

**You should have read:
TDRP1728: "End Program" (190707):
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=31457&p=204680#p204680

TDRP1729: "Computer? ... Computer?" (190714)
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=31468

TDRP1732: “Deja Vu All Over Again" (190803)
http://forums.ufstarfleet.org/viewtopic ... 85&t=31502

TDRP1733: “Yesterday Never Dies" (190818)
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=31522&p=204855#p204855

POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).
MISSION TIME: Please be ready & prepared & in place for RP to start at 1130 SLT

IC PREMISE: While on a routine patrol of Sector 010, approximately 62 light years from Pinastri, the Acting XO decided to run a battle drill. During the simulation, Operations was ordered to shut down holodecks and transfer power to shields. Holodeck One did not respond to either Bridge commands or external Arch commands. Further investigation revealed that there is a temporal anomaly in the holodeck. It's possible this area of space has hidden dangers. An attempt to rectify the problem in Engineering was unsuccessful... indeed, the crew experienced some Deja Vu, demonstrating that the temporal issue is not confined to the holodeck.

The bridge crew also found themselves with a major case of Deja Vu while trying to figure out how to resolve the problem. The bridge crew found themselves with a major case of Deja Vu while trying to figure out how to resolve the problem. The bridge crew found...

=OOC================================
SIM Concept: Evelyn Rieko & Poison Toocool
Historian: Poison Toocool
====================================

=====OOC======
ARRIVING LATE? Contact the Mission Lead when you arrive, and wait to be instructed on Post Order & Story before speaking in Local. Come up with a reason why your character would be entering the scene at the appointed time and include it in your first post.
LEAVING EARLY? You need to post out. Come up with a reason why your character would be leaving the scene. Ask for permission to go to your department, for example (RP etiquette also says it’s nice if you wait to see the replies before you actually remove your avatar from the scene).
=====OOC======
Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commander
Command - Commander
Duty Post: Executive Officer
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
=================

Cmdr. Evelyn Rieko - XO
Cmdr. Russell Sprout (Poison Toocool) - Helm
Lt Cmdr. Leninah - Science
Ensign Salek (ChrisHeath) - Tactical/Security
Last edited by Evelyn Rieko on 190912.0326, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr. Evelyn Rieko
Executive Officer | USS Taylorholic Durant
Squadron Mentor | UFSA Halley Squadron
Director | UFSA Activities

http://ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.php?t ... elyn_Rieko]Access
Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commander
Command - Commander

RP NARRATIVE
===========

Lt. Cmdr. Evelyn Rieko: "Computer! Acting First Officer Log. Lt Commander Evelyn Rieko. Stardate 190825: We the Durant crew, find ourselves in a highly complex situation with time differentials inside the ship. The Captain is trapped inside Holodeck one, existing in a different time and space than the rest of the ship. We have to find a way to rescue the Captain and ourselves. The whole ship is caught in a time loop. Our consciousness moving to and experiencing different areas in time, and returning to our present time. Science has suggested using the anti-tachyon pulse, instead of the anti--chroniton pulse, and I have given permission to do so. Computer end log." She looks around the bridge... "Reports everyone... Helm, Science, and Tactical"

Cmdr. Russell Sprout entered the bridge and moved to the front with a quick nod to Evelyn. He tapped Ensign Wood on the shoulder. She rose and he took over the position, logging in, and scanning the console to be sure he could give an updated status report. "Sir. Commander Sprout taking over Helm. We are still at stationkeeping pending an order to move off. As far as I can tell, currently we have access to impulse and warp. I have plotted several possible courses away from this area but if you wish my advice... I would suggest traveling directly back the way we came... in reverse.".

Lt. Leni reports, as ordered to the Acting XO “Sir, the tachyon pulse emitter, is being fabricated now in the science lab replicator. Should be complete any minute, permission to leave the bridge and get a team together to collect and move it to the holodeck and get it ready for operation?” Stands and looks directly at Lt Cmdr Rieko awaiting her orders.

Ensign Salek: "I have checked the station for 10 minutes. No sentient life forms humanoid or otherwise detected aboard ship. Logic dictates no intruders. No ships detected as well. Further study of history shows the USS Hood was lost 62 years ago traveling in this direction, Sir."

Rieko listens to Sprout's report and suggestions, thinking about his suggestion of traveling directly back the way we came, but in reverse. She looks to Leni, "Lt. Leni... I want you and your Science team to research and discuss Cmdr. Sprout's suggestion... and yes, permission granted to leave the bridge and work with your team on the tachyon pulse emitter. Looks to the Ensign, "and thanks for your report Ensign Salek, keep monitoring." She feels herself going around into the loop again....she is back home on New Gaul....her father coming home and she and her mother running into his arms, and chattering away at him...so happy he is home! Her heart soars with happiness, and then she is back on the bridge.

Sprout continued to monitor the ship. At stationkeeping, there wasn't much to do, however, given the dust and debris and the natural fabric of space, the Durant would drift if thrusters were not used to maintain position. Salek's comments about the USS Hood made him frown with concern. Surely they needed to get out of here? "My thought, Sir, is... that if we reversed directly along the same path in which we entered the area, at some point we would cross the place where the temporal anomaly formed in the holodeck... and perhaps reverse the process. But... I'm an OPs officer, not a scientist..." He looks down at the console, feeling suddenly nervous... all of a sudden back at his first flight test aboard the USS Academy. With that terrible instructor who criticized everything.

Leni nods a confirmation to the Acting XO “Aye Sir” and with a questioning glance over to Cmdr Sprout silent mouthing the words “In Reverse?” Still seeing the strange image in her mind of a starship going backward, makes her way down to the science lab, on her way calling for two assistants to meet her there. The emitter itself was likely to be heavy enough and what with the tripod and tools required this was a two-person job at least. She still had some final checks to go over, the initial miscalculation on the dissipation level was still preying on her mind a little and she didn’t want to get that wrong again, and additionally, she had to investigate Cmdr Sprout’s suggestion we travel in reverse.

Salek: "A Ferengi ship has appeared on sensors on an intercept course. No doubt to check our defenses and cargo. I suggest opening a hail........wait..." *studies the sensors for two minutes*. "The ship disappeared. It is logical to assume the entire ship just got caught in the same temporal anomaly we are partially in. I would not recommend moving forward or to port where the holodeck is located."

Rieko sits for a while..composing herself and pushing her focus away from what she had just experienced in the time loop, so much emotion from the past and the present colliding inside her, she trembled... she inhaled deeply and exhaled to calm herself and focus on the present.. on this situation. For a few moments, she'd been home with her father and mother there! What a wonderful experience to be with her father again...if even for a few moments. He had been lost while commanding a cargo freighter.. she was sure he had made that extra stop to get her a gift....and that's when all communication was lost.. and he and his crew vanished. She does not want her crew to vanish .. be lost. She stood, in command of her faculties once again. "Science, give me a report as soon as possible. " Ensign...good work... we do not want to be lost in time like the USS Hood....so we have to find a way out... Cmdr Sprout! I like your idea of traveling backward to leave the exact way we entered... but the Captain is in a different time span than the rest of the ship.. we cannot leave him behind or have adverse effects on him. Science and Engineering can we find a way to recognize when we are in sync with the Captain in time?"

Sprout tentatively input the required course and opened his mouth to respond to the instructor... then the bridge seemed to tilt in front of his eyes as he looked down at his hands. He froze. It took him a minute to realize he was back in what he felt was the proper time. "Commander, I urge you to consider moving the ship. I... in my mind I saw myself in another time, on another console... and I almost input a new course. If I had... not returned to this time, I don't know what might have happened." He turned to look at her earnestly. "I might have sent us into a spatial object at warp four, not realizing... the time. Sir." It was all very confusing. And the anxiety he'd reexperienced as his younger self, had not disappeared.

Leni arrives at the science lab and greets her colleagues Ensign Granger and Lt. Mayfield, both of whom she knew and had faith in, though this was really just a collect and transport job. When Ensign Granger asks why we weren’t transporting it to location Lt Mayfield smiled and interjected “We try not to do anything at all out of the most basic physics with a tachyon emitter. You are correct Ensign it may be safe but we just don’t like taking the risks” to which Leni nodded confirming and added, “Yes it's an area we don’t like to take unnecessary risks in at normal times but also given we’re experiencing temporal fluctuations, it’s probably increased risk right now. So let’s get this stuff down to the holodeck in the old fashioned way, Granger take the tripod, Mayfield, take the emitter and I’ll grab the toolbox, en-route I need to talk to Cmdr Sprout" =^= Commander Sprout, can I take it your proposal is to turn the ship around and by ‘reverse’ you mean travel back the same velocity? =^=

Salek: "I meditated deeply in my off-hours and am not experiencing the time shift other members of the crew are. Scanners show no debris or spilled fuel from the Ferengi ship. The ship is lost in the anomaly. Also still no intruders aboard, Sir."

Rieko looks to Sprout and feels the adrenaline going through her... a fear grabbing at her as she listens to what almost happened. She pushes forward away from the fear, and looks to Ensign Salek, " Ensign do you have any helm experience?" You may be the only one not being affected as deeply by this time loop."

Sprout mulled over what was happening. He'd managed to catch some of what the Commander had said, although it came to him like it was from somewhere else: 'the Captain is in a different time span than the rest of the ship.. we cannot leave him behind or have adverse effects on him.' Yes, she had a point. The call to his console made him jump slightly. He ran a finger around his collar and then replied: =^= "Reverse course, remaining at the same attitude, and the same velocity. Yes." =^=

Leni: The small team arrive at the entrance to the holodeck and hurriedly but efficiently start setting up the emitter. Mayfield positioning the housing on-top of the tripod Granger sets out while she secures the tripod feet to the deck flooring. As Granger and Mayfield make final calibration tweaks she checks the remote operating panel and tests its functioning to her PADD. “OK, I think we’re good, any issues before I report in that we’re good to go?” The negative confirmations from both followed quickly by a call to the bridge =^= Sir, reporting the tachyon emitter is in position, tested and ready to go at your command. Also, on the Commander’s proposal I agree traveling back in the same direction would be the safest path to getting back as we have already traveled that same path and in the best scientific traditions its been tested as best we can Sir =^= Ending the call with some relief that the ship didn’t actually have a reverse gear she wasn’t aware of.

Salek: answering Rieko's question, does he have any helm experience, he says, "Yes Sir I do." He continues, "Still no security threats seen on scanners. From studying history and the current data the odds are 231.5 to 1 we will lose the Caption should we move the ship. Those are of course accurate. In this case, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. We are not fully in the anomaly this ship must find a way out to protect the crew."

Rieko: "Cmdr Sprout, and Ensign Salek...change places, please! I think it will be safer to have Ensign Salek at the helm. It's crucial the helm is ready to engage and get us out of here at a moment's notice..and the Commander may be away somewhere in the time loop at a crucial moment. =^= Lt. Leni, stand ready... the ship can travel in reverse... are you able to detect when the Captain is in sync with us? I would like his time to be as close as possible to ours when you use the Tachyon pulse. Rieko out =^=

Sprout knew that what he had proposed would not be easy. He knew the Durant had the most advanced maneuverability in the Fleet. She could easily turn 180 degrees in less than three seconds if she was already in motion. However, she wasn't moving. Of course, the ship had been at stationkeeping long enough for any reverse thrust to take effect without having to counter a forward movement. If anything, getting the ship to respond from a state of inertia would be difficult. And although he'd recommended they match speeds... reversing at full warp would probably not be a good idea... he began to plot not only the reverse course, using the navigational charts of their journey; but also to calculate the safest speeds. Thrust would have to be applied over the entire ship at the same time, to avoid any stress to the hull. He pressed a few buttons in response to her orders, leaving his planned course and calculations clear to the next user. As he rose to take tactical, he added: "Sir, I recommend we increase power to the inertial dampeners and hull integrity if we are to do this."

Sprout: As he rose to take tactical, he added: "Sir, I recommend we increase power to inertial dampeners and hull integrity if we are to do this."

/Cont'd
Last edited by Evelyn Rieko on 190912.0400, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr. Evelyn Rieko

Evelyn Rieko
Command - Commander
Command - Commander

Leni: For a moment she suddenly finds herself on the bridge again running the parameters for the tachyon emitter, setting the variables for intensity, ramping speed, the decay projection and dissipation constraints and feeds it all onto the computer for validation. Within moments the console reports that the dissipation level is too low to handle the build-up from the ramping at that intensity so re-calculates and tries again. …. Shaking her head she’s back in her quarters Straightening her tunic and checking it in the mirror ….. “Hmmm” she confides with her crewmates “This is getting worse, I don’t know if its proximity to the source but the sooner we get this done the better! Are you two ok?” As she gets the Ok from the team she hears the order from LT Cmdr Rieko to proceed, “OK let's do this final checks and then step well back!”

Salek looks at Cmdr. Sprout and says, "Sir I relieve you". Checks the navigation data supplied, the course and speed. All logical he prepares to precisely reverse course watching closely the mathematics and preparing to compensate if need be. "Commander, should we try this I suggest we begin with thrusts first at 34 KPH to test the space around us."

Rieko glanced over at Ensign Salek as he took the helm, giving thought to what he had said, the odds we will lose the Captain if we move the ship...and he'd said, in this case, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one...and he was right! But! ....but... 'the one' is the Captain...Jim...her friend...she starts to feel disoriented but she must focus...and she does. "You're right Ensign Salek, in this case, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one., but we must try to save the Captain as well as the crew. Decide with Cmdr Sprout on the increase of power to the inertial dampeners...and hull integrity...and make it so. She checks data, then quickly contacts Lt. Leni, =^= Lt Leni...proceed with the emitter, do it!=^= "Helm reverse as soon as it is done! *fingers crossed.* She thinks and hopes the Captain will be okay inside the holodeck... if the emitter works. When it works!

Sprout examined the tactical console. "Maintaining red alert, weapons offline but charged," he confirmed. "No other ships in the area at this time." He looked up at the viewscreen, waiting for the ship's movement aft to become apparent. He didn't say anything, but... well it was hard not to think about the Captain and whether he would survive this. He felt an immense sadness. He'd lost crewmates over the years. But never a Captain. But all was not lost yet! They were all working hard to save the crew, the ship... and Captain Hode. He sighed and continued to watch the tactical readouts.

Leni: From a safe distance checking her crewmates are safe too, waving Ensign Granger to get behind Lt Mayfield, crouches down and readies to press the on-screen button to activate the emitter. “OK, Mayfield can you monitor closely the release pattern and keep it within the set profile correct immediately for any deviations and notify us if you do. Granger, watch the dissipation levels and if they go out of bounds the same thing let us know and give Mayfield what he needs to correct. If the computer models were good, we shouldn’t need to make any corrections but best to be prepared cause if this goes wrong !! Here goes” Touches her communicator =^= Activating tachyon emitter now Sir =^= Presses the button…. Presses the button…. Presses the button…. Presses the button ….caught in action replay.

Salek checks Commander Sprout's course one last time. and sees the Increased power to the inertial dampeners and structural integrity. Begins reversing course at 34 KPH. Watching the nacelles closely. 64 KPH, 167 KPH. "Brace for Impulse" moves to 1/8 impulse power and waits and studies. the course is as planned. "1/4 impulse", watching the controls carefully noting no anomalies. "1/2 impulse". Working precisely on the controls he coasts at this speed. Finally, " Commander, we are 1/4 light-year from where we encountered the phenomena. All stop, Answering all stop Sir."
Cmdr. Evelyn Rieko

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”