:toscomm: :federation: Hot News! :federation: :toscomm:

Have an issue? Submit a ticket to UFStarfleet Support! (Must be logged into the forums to use this)
or through the UFS Discord Support System (More info by clicking here!)

If you are unable to login to your Forum account for whatever reason, you can either A) Contact your Commanding Officer to have your issue submitted on your behalf to UFStarfleet Support website or B) Contact CompOps using the UFS Discord Support System.

Did you know UFS has a Discord server - join your fellow fleetmates there today - Link at the top of this page.

"Sphere" - USS JANEWAY 10: 181108.1730

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Sundays 11:15am SLT
Commanding Officer: Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: Evelyn Rieko

Moderators: Greenlantern Excelsior, Poison Toocool, Evelyn Rieko

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

=^= STARFLEET COMMAND ORDER BEGINS =^=

USS JANEWAY
OBERTH CLASS
SVALR STIARNA, COMMAND
STARDATE: 181108.18

DEPLOYMENT ORDER ST839TH

OBJECTIVE: Sector 002F (Argala)

INVESTIGATION: The Janeway has been sent to investigate a never before charted anomaly located about 20 light years from home base. As with many nebula's, systems like communications, sensors, shields and navigation may be affected if you get too close to the event horizon. But you have enough juice to be able to see something strange. There appears to be a spherical object caught in the gravimetric flux. And it's trying to move against the force of the anomaly.

Task: Work together to improve sensors and comms. Examine the anomaly and report on composition, type, trajectory, effects of entering it or being near it. Determine what the object is and what should be done about it.

Number of days: indeterminate

Security Clearance: Level 2, Need to know.

Personnel: Standard crew compliment: 182

Starfleet Command: has issued the orders 181108.16

=^= STARFLEET COMMAND ORDER ENDS =^=

LCARS REFERENCES
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Oberth_class
http://www.ufstarfleet.org/wiki/index.p ... Sector_Map
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Spatial_anomaly
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore
Duty Post: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: Second Life Grid

CAST OF CHARACTERS
===============

Svalr Stiarna (Capt), CO ((Poison Toocool))
Brittany Tairov (Ensign), Helm/Ops, ((brittany00a))
Kyle Rayner (Lt Cmdr), Science/Tactical ((GreenLantern Excelsior))
Kalayna (Cadet), Medical ((TaylorRaeJunior))
Ginrai Yamabushi (Ensign), Engineering/Comms

Left to right: Rayner, Tairov, Stiarna, Kalayna, Yamabushi
Last edited by Greenlantern Excelsior on 181109.1138, edited 2 times in total.
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

RP NARRATIVE
=============

Svalr Stiarna stood on the new bridge of the Janeway. It felt much more spacious than the previous one. She almost felt like she'd need to shout to helm if she was in the back of the room. She glanced to the viewscreen. A science mission was always interesting. "Mr Tairov, what is our ETA to the Sector 009H and the anomaly? Mr Kalayna, can you prepare a report regarding possible effects of its composition on the crew of the ship? Mr Yamabushi, if we were to enter the anomaly, would our systems be affected? Mr Rayner, is science ready to collect the information it desires to collect?" She plunked herself down in the Captain's chair.

Brittany Tairov: "the Janeway is at warp factor 4, about 20 minutes to ETA Ma'am, all is well at this time."

Kyle Rayner runs the Tactical station through a quick diagnostic, same as always for the beginning of a shift. Everything looks "shipshape and Bristol fashion" as the saying went in the old sailing ship days. "Captain, power has been allocated to the scanners and Science is continuously scanning the area. There is very little concrete information available at this time but I expect to see more as we get closer."

Kalayna punches in her code to access the ship's LCARS doing the simple scan of systems and then listens to the captain, "Yes Captain, right away." She then looks down to her console and starts to prepare the report.

Ginrai starts doing calculations, as he looks at the new controls in front of him, he begins working on the calculations and starts running simulations based on other encounters with spatial anomalies. Internally, he starts feeling an uneasiness, but remains focused, "Sir, I believe we should be fine, but I will be maintaining an eye on all structural and systems once we get closer."

Stiarna checked her notes on the assignment. "Mr Rayner, given the fact that the max range for subspace Long Range Sensors at low resolution and maximum normal power is 17 light years, I anticipate that we will indeed be able to access more definitive data the closer we get to the anomaly in question," she nodded her head, her tiny earrings tinkling, "but, given the information we do currently have at this point in time, do you have an estimate of the size and shape of it?" She sits back, eying the star chart on her console, "Thank you Mr Yamabushi. Helm, steady as she goes. If any navigational issues, however small, occur, I want to know immediately."

Tairov: "Steady as she goes Ma'am. Navigation issue if encounter will be report to you ma'am."

Rayner performs more detailed measurement scans of the anomaly. "Sir, the anomaly is roughly spherical, approximately fifty kilometers in diameter. The boundary or edge is not precisely defined. The spherical object near it is approximately 500 meters in diameter, still moving against what appears to be the anomaly's gravitational attraction."

Kalayna looks down at her console after preparing, "Medical of the crew should remain stable sir unless it's a temporal anomaly..." Her voice trails off hearing the report from science. She looks down then nods, "Spherical anomaly..some of us may end up experiencing some temporary disruptions in brain function, it all depends on the person in this type of situation, I would say sir."

Yamabushi monitors on one screen which has the warp core, he taps the screen to check on the LCARS systems just to make sure the repairs to each control systems didn't damage any power systems. He listened intently to the important information, folding his hands as he glanced down every so often to monitor systems and also check on the simulations. He feels a little perspiration come down his face, but remained focused on the task.

Stiarna had encountered any number of anomalies over the course of her career, however one that was 'undiscovered' carried an extra interest for her. First, they would need to understand the make-up of the anomaly. They would also need to determine if it was stationery, its dimensions, and whether being close to it or in it would create an issue with navigation or other systems. Sector 009H was fairly close to Pinastri and Excalibur. It was odd that this anomaly had not been detected before. "Helm, bring us to a distance of 200,000 kilometers and slow to full impulse so science can get some scans as we approach. Doctor Kalayna, disruptions in brain function? That sounds... dangerous. Is there anything we can do with shields to help protect the crew?" She turned to Kyle with a frown, "There's a sphere inside or near the anomaly?"

Tairov: "Roger, ma'am, getting with in 200,000 kilometers of the anomaly, at full impulse power."

Rayner checks his updated scans, which show much more information than a few minutes ago. "Yes, sir, there is a spherical object near the boundary of the anomaly. It appears to be moving under independent control. It moves outward away from the anomaly and then moves back inward toward it. There is so much interference from the anomaly's radiation output that it's difficult to get clear readings. But it appears from some other information I'm seeing on the scanners that the sphere is occupied by several life forms. It's a ship!"

Kalayna looks down at the LCARS for a moment, "As of right now..." Her voice trailed off almost at a lost to say what to do but when she heard radiation that gave her the key. "We need some way to protect ourselves from that radiation, I can't guarantee that's one-hundred percent what it could be but we shouldn't take chances because radiation can cause other issues to if it seeps in the ship."

Yamabushi starts thinking as he begins running calculations, and then begins coming up with a well thought out plan, he pushes aside a nagging feeling that is nothing more than a nuisance, but it's noticeable, "Sir, I could give you power to the shields, transferring it from non-essential systems, if need be."

Stiarna leaned forward in her seat. "Mr Yamabushi, see if you can raise that vessel on comms. Friendship messages and offers of assistance, all frequencies." She looks to the Doctor, "Looks like there are several life forms on that sphere, can you look at the sensor data and determine their health status? Mr Rayner, what class of vessel, what is its mass, what kind of engines... as much data as you can. Best take us to Yellow Alert. Mr Tairov, reduce to one half impulse. Let's be prepared, plot a course to that vessel in case we need to go in there." She nods to Ginrai, "Let's get that power allocated now. The doctor may need us to work on shield frequency to combat that radiation."

Tairov: "Aye captain one half impulse power it is." She feels light headed all of a sudden as her nose tickles green blood from it.

Rayner runs his console through scans from DC to daylight and on up into the ultraviolet and beyond. "Captain, that anomaly is emitting mostly particle radiation, very high energy protons and neutrons. It's almost like we're looking at the business end of a cyclotron. Even a supernova doesn't have particles going that fast. The radiation we're seeing is mostly due to the particles impacting with stellar dust and gas and splitting those atoms. I would recommend that we stay away from the particle stream, sending the coordinates to the helmsman now. The ship appears to have impulse drive only, no weapons, shields but they're under strain. Occupied by seven life forms." He activates the Yellow Alert. "Yellow Alert, all decks go to Yellow Alert. Shields are up, sir."

Kalayna looks towards the Captain, "Aye sir." She looks at the scans as she brings them up, "There seems to be a few in distress, possibly from the amount of radiation or even that particle stream. It's highly possible they got in the particle stream as they probably didn't know about it. It seems the ones who are ill are experiencing the disturbance that is presenting itself as dizziness and raise in temperature is what I can see from scans." She glances around looking at the crew. "Can science get a pattern to that particle stream, perhaps we can get the pattern into the shields? Just a thought."

Yamabushi replies, "Aye, Sir..." starts going to work on the control panel for the comms. He starts tapping the console, "To the vessel near the anomaly, this is the USS Janeway, is there any assistance that you need, please respond?" A message responds back, nearly screeching across the nearby audio systems, as a figure appears and then fades off. With one hand, he begins working to reroute power systems. Sweat pours down his face, as he tries to keep it together as they draw closer, as he looks down at the comms, he notices there's a little bit of blood dripping on the console. Keeping his fingers off the console, he says silently, "Keep it together Yamabushi..... Keep... it.... together..."

Stiarna waits to hear the various reports. "Seven life forms, caught in the anomaly? Or... seven life forms, where they ought to be, is the question." She stands up, "Sounds like they are in trouble if their shields are under strain. Mr Tairov, adjust course as advised by Mr Rayner, take us slowly toward that sphere ship. Mr Yamabushi... any way we can transport them out of there given the situation?" she asks, knowing it's probably impossible. She looks to the Doctor, "Match the particle stream pattern with the shields? What do you think, Mr Rayner, would that kind of modulation be possible and protect us if we need to approach the ship?" She turns to Engineering: "Can we reduce the temperature on the bridge?"

Tairov types in the coordinates to helm move the ship to new location as she fights the dizziness. "I...it's nothing, Captain. She passes out and slumps over the console. She did manage to do the last orders before passing out.

Rayner shakes his head as he scans the stream of particles being emitted from the anomaly. "Our shields will protect us from the particle stream for two hours at this distance. We're already starting to see some shield degradation way out here. Apparently some of the particles are making it through our shields, from the physical effects we're seeing on the crew. If we get within transporter range to beam the crew off that ship, our shields will hold for five minutes at best. So if we do this it will have to be quick. The ship is too large for us to use a tractor beam on it."

Kalayna looks over the other crew one more time, "None have seem to have died yet." She watches the helm officer be taken out to sickbay. "Five minutes might not be long enough for all of us to escape that anomaly if we have to go in and grab the ship." She would look down. "We could possibly figure out an inoculation for the pattern but that could take some time."

Yamabushi wipes the sweat off his brow, and shuts off the LCARS paneling that his blood began to drip on, and wipes the blood away with a piece of cloth, he replies, "Lowering the temperature to 23.8 degrees Celsius, Sir, 70 degrees Fahrenheit." He flips the LCARS back on, as he could feel the warmth of blood dripping down his face, he could feel his stomach feel uneasy, as his joints begin to feel weak, He focuses deeply on the comms, still trying to reach them, switching from hailing frequencies to now digital means, just then a hail came back: "Wha... i.....mean........ this?" in a gruff tone, he looks back at the captain, now noticing that there is some sort of distortion in his vision, where there are two captains sitting in the Captain's chair, "Sir.......sir." he says almost drunkenly, "They have.... responded...." just then he feels a tingling in his leg, and tries to send signals through his brain to try to move his legs, but then feels them go limp, yet looks back at the console, and remains determined to keep it together.

Stiarna looks to the viewscreen. She's holding her own reaction to the anomaly in check. She can now see the odd swirling colours of it, stuck inside the nebula-ish cloud, a tiny silver blob. "Estimated speed we would need to engage in order to get into transporter range and back within five minutes Mr Rayner? Doctor Kalayna, can you administer anything through the environmental controls to help the crew manage until we can get clear of the anomaly again? Some vertazine perhaps? Helm, stand ready to increase speed on my mark, bearing one, five, two, mark ten." She whirled to Ginrai: "Any sign they need assistance?" She noticed he was bleeding. "Doctor, attend to Ensign Yamabushi immediately." She tapped her combadge, "Bridge to Engineering, advise your status."

Tairov: Is carried off to sick bay, as a replacement helmsman tales her place on the bridge. "Ensign Mayweather reporting sir, getting the ship in range of transporters."

Rayner blinks his eyes rapidly as they start to blur a bit. Why was the crew having physical problems? The shields should be keeping out any radiation. He tries running scans in different parts of the spectrum, and trying different shield frequencies. Maybe there was something he missed. And speaking of that... "Captain, something else just occurred to me. If we can't beam them off the ship, we could use our tractor beam to augment their engine power, help pull them away from the anomaly. They are right on the edge of escaping anyway, but their engines appear to be not quite strong enough to get them out." Suddenly he feels as though a great weight was lifted from his shoulders. His vision clears, and he realized how bad he was feeling before. "Sir, I've been changing the shield frequencies, and apparently a frequency of 513.3 Gigahertz is filtering out whatever radiation was making us ill. If we can communicate that information to the ship out there, it could help them too. As for the rescue, we can swoop in at half impulse speed, transport the crew, and have enough reserve power available to get away from the anomaly at full impulse."

Kalayna looks to the Captain and listens, "Well, until I know the pattern, we can only control the signs of the disturbance." She looks down for a moment, "Yes, Vertazine would be good for the dizziness, 5 ccs through the environmental would help with anyone who's having that." She gets up from her seat and heads towards the Ensign, "Sir, What is going on? Are you dizzy?"

Yamabushi looks at the comms, trying to keep his wits about him, as well as the Engineering system of the LCARS, he looks up at the system statuses, and sees where else he can pull power from, without hitting life support, or anything else vital, he also checks the status of the warp drive, the nacelles to make sure everything is stable, and even the shield generators, which seem to be running fine, "I can give you enough power for that, Sir," he replies with a little more strength in his own reserve. He takes in a deep breath, as he feels the salty taste of his own blood in his mouth, "As for the ship, Sir, it seems that they are more annoyed with us, I may have to boost comms to see if I can get a straight answer out of them, or put them on screen, Captain." As the Medic comes over he replies, "I can't feel my legs.....and my nose is bleeding, but I can manage..."

Stiarna feels frustrated. She still isn't sure if transporters will even work in the anomaly cloud, her bridge crew is starting to disappear, and she is fighting herself to stay normal and keep her decisions clear. She leans on the bridge railing for a second or two, watching Brittany be taken to the turbo lift. With a sigh she says: "Ensign Mayweather, bring us to transporter range at one half impulse." For some reason, she started to feel a little better. Kyle's report explains why, "Ah, very good, very good Mr Rayner. I think we will all breath a little easier now. Take over comms from Mr Yamabushi, can you get the information on changing shield frequencies to 513.3 Gigahertz to the other vessel, and advise them we will be in transporter range in about two minutes. Or, that we can assist them to escape the cloud using our tractor beam." She turned to Ginrai: "You are dismissed, please go to sickbay. Have another member of your team report to the Bridge. Doctor, take care of him please."

Ensign Mayweather explains. "Captain, transporter is locked, transporting on your order, sir. Speed is the same as before, half impulse, sir."

Rayner activates hailing frequencies. =^= USS Janeway to unidentified ship. We're on our way in to help you escape the anomaly. Please tune your shield to a frequency of 513.3 Gigahertz to shield the radiation effects. Please prepare to have us tow you away from the anomaly with our tractor beam. =^= He looks sheepishly at the Captain. "With all the radiation problems, I forgot that we would have to drop our shields to beam them aboard. We wouldn't have survived that, and neither would they."

Kalayna looks towards the Captain and nods, "Aye sir." She turns back to the Ensign, "We have our orders, let's help you get to sickbay." She would help the Ensign get to sickbay, if allowed, and started running all the tests to confirm it was the anomaly causing the issues and would be treated accordingly.

Yamabushi lets his hand drop down as he now feels dejected, "Aye, sir..." looks up at the Doctor, and tries to stand, yet collapses from the weakness in his body. "I.... I can't ....stand..." struggles to stand, using every muscle from his arms and his chest in a pushup position, yet collapses on the floor.

=^=
Greenlantern Excelsior
Intelligence - Commodore
Intelligence - Commodore

MISSION IMAGES
==============

Svalr Stiarna (Capt), CO ((Poison Toocool))

Ginrai Yamabushi (Ensign), Engineering/Comms

Kalayna (Cadet), Medical ((TaylorRaeJunior))

Kyle Rayner (Lt Cmdr), Science/Tactical ((GreenLantern Excelsior))

Yellow Alert

Yellow Alert

Bridge photo not taken: Brittany Tairov (Ensign), Helm/Ops, ((brittany00a))

Return to “USS Taylorholic Durant”